PDA

View Full Version : Wal Mart rated MOST ADMIRED COMPANY from Fortune 500 magazine.

scruffziller
03-15-2003, 12:07 PM
Only on the outside, but I can garauntee, if they look in deeply they will find it is alot like Enron. I just hope it doesn't befall a similar fate.

Comments fellow WM employees.

DAR!!

What is your take on this?

derek
03-15-2003, 02:50 PM
if they look in deeply they will find it is alot like Enron

has wal mart set up dummy companies to hide massive debts? are they lying about their sales figures? :confused:

QLD
03-15-2003, 04:00 PM
Maybe so Derek. Now perhaps we'll get the Women of Wal-Mart playboy issue!! :eek::eek:

Dr Zoltar
03-16-2003, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by Quite-Long Dong
Maybe so Derek. Now perhaps we'll get the Women of Wal-Mart playboy issue!! :eek::eek:

Umm...I somehow don't think THAT would be a big seller. At least not if they used the women at the store I shop at (which I only use to purchase Star Wars exclusives).

Tonysmo
03-16-2003, 02:20 AM
careful guys - I think one of our newest female fourmites is a wal-mart employee..

derek
03-16-2003, 02:40 AM
maybe she can post her photo, and in the process put Dr. Zoltar's theory to the test!:crazed:

Tonysmo
03-16-2003, 03:49 AM
good going.. you didnt really need to type what most of us are thinking..:D

scruffziller
03-16-2003, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by Dr Zoltar
Umm...I somehow don't think THAT would be a big seller. At least not if they used the women at the store I shop at (which I only use to purchase Star Wars exclusives).

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee................aaaaaaaaaaaaaa hhhhhh.....

I know exactly what you mean.:D

Although there are a number of them I wouldn't mind at all seeing.

kool-aid killer
03-16-2003, 12:33 PM
I agree with you guys on that. Now im sure my local walmart has at least one cute girl working at some point in the day, but i aint seen her. Maybe thats why all the guys who work in the toy section are so bitter and mean.

derek
03-16-2003, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by derek
has wal mart set up dummy companies to hide massive debts? are they lying about their sales figures? :confused:

........so, scruffy...........any info on wal-mart and their enron like follies?

JediTricks
03-16-2003, 08:06 PM
"*Sigh*... Arthur Fortune!" - Homer S.: Portrait of an ***-Grabber

scruffziller
03-17-2003, 02:20 PM
You just have to work there........

Where's DAR!!!!

Lord Malakite
03-17-2003, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by scruffziller

Where's DAR!!!!

He is posing for QLD's Wal-Mart playboy. :D

derek
03-17-2003, 03:06 PM

Where's DAR!!!!

you just can't accuse wal mart of massive fraud and not back it up! next thing you'll be saying is that bush was behind the september 11th attacks and bin ladin is a CIA agent......oh, wait, that's tycho......:crazed: (joking)

scruffziller
03-18-2003, 07:43 AM
you just can't accuse wal mart of massive fraud and not back it up! next thing you'll be saying is that bush was behind the september 11th attacks and bin ladin is a CIA agent......oh, wait, that's tycho......:crazed: (joking)

I was not meaning the Enron comparrison literally, it is just a feeling from little things you see and hear.

Tycho
03-18-2003, 10:41 AM

Bin Laden was trained and supplied by the CIA. That's history.

Georgie's daddy, the one that's really President, was the Director of the CIA before he was Vice President under Reagan.

The CIA uses media propoganda, public psychology manipulation, etc. amongst its black ops tools.

But of course, daddy forgot how to do all that when he became Vice President. :rolleyes: He just forgot all his old lifetime acievement goals when he entered elected public service, based on the popularity of a western actor - oh, that must have been when Hollywood figures DID know everything about politics. :rolleyes: Now, I suppose it's only Arnold Schwartzeneggar and Jesse Ventura who know anything.:rolleyes:

Dar' Argol
03-20-2003, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by Quite-Long Dong

Ugh!!!!!! Man QLD, your stomache is definatly stronger then mine!!! *insert puking Icon here*

TaaaaDaaaaaa!!!! I'm Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!!

Hmmm, my take on Wally World. Here is the reason that WM makes soo much friggin money. Behind every smilie face you see on TV there is a single mother working 40hrs a week trying to support herself and her child on $6.50 and hour while takeing all the crap from customers not satisified that they found their specific paggage of "Opps I Crapped My Pants" depends that doesn't make their bottoms break out in a rash.

WM's major problem right now is that the Walton kids are so friggin money hungry that they are completely disregarding Sam's founding princibles that started this Empire. They are opening tooo many friggin stores in toooo close an area tooooo soon! They are not taking the time to properly train the associates that are coming in and they'll let any warm body into the Asstaint Managers Program. There is no conciquences for poor job performance as long as they don't catch you. Our second shift weekend work force concists(sp) of mainly High School kids who are there for one thing and one thing only, the pay check so they can add that new trash-can sounding muffler to their slammed "Geez-I-Hope-You-Get-Stuck-On-A-Spped-Bump" car that "Mommy and Daddy" bought for them. So they do not care about the customers, or the job they do, or even if they work at all. because as long as they log their time in, they still get paid. And if they don't get caught, they still have a job.

And then there are the customers that take full advantage of the "100% Satisfaction Guarantee". They bring back PS2 boxes filled with bricks, DVD's and CD's with no DVD or CD in them, Underware that definitly did NOT have that "load" in them when they left the store, Grills after the summer is over saying their is something wrong with it and it won't lite. No wonder, you've cooked on the thing all summer and never once bothered to clean it up so the burner and starter are soo covered in burnt meat fat you can barely tell what is what.

Of course there is other problems as well, some store specific, some company wide. Everything from petty back stabbing, to the Store Manager constantly telling us when we have a problem to remember to use the "Open Door Policy" but in the same breath also tells us that he is too busy to be bothered with our problems, that is why there are 13 other Salaried managers in the store.

The way I am seeing it, WM is going to shoot themselved in the foot, not even relise it because they are too busty doing something else, and bleed to death. That's why I am looking for another job, both me and my wife. I've been dealing with this crap for over 5 yrs, and I am just tired and I really don't care anymore:( .

Old Fossil
03-20-2003, 09:09 PM
I met the girl who would become my wife at Wal-Mart, where we both worked at the time. That's the only good thing to come out of my employment there.

Eventually we both got to the point where we so loathed our jobs with Wal-Mart, that it was a serious emotional strain just to get in the car and go to work. No retail job is worth that.

All Dar'Argol's comments are 100% on the mark.

scruffziller
03-21-2003, 10:45 AM
Ditto of the Ditto for you Dar!!!!!

Thanx for posting.:)

Dar' Argol
03-24-2003, 05:13 PM
Hey, np. I know it always looks like I'm defending that company in SAGA a lot, but what I am really trying to do is explain why they do the stupid stuff they do. I'm really dis-satisfied with that company right now and its leaving a bitter taste in my mouth. I don't hate my job, that part I love, but I hate who I do it for right now. That's why I'm searching for another job. But I will continue to explain the stupid crap that goes on there. Just to keep you monkeys informed;) . . . . . :D

darth-dave
04-06-2003, 08:27 PM
hello everyone, im new here but i work for the wal-mart company. and its a good company to work for.darth dave

bobafrett
04-06-2003, 11:21 PM
Dar' Argol, as a former Wal-Mart employee, I feel you said it just like it is. When I started working for Wal-Mart back in 1996, I loved coming into work. We used to unload the trucks on overnights, pull the freight to the floor, stage the merchandise, put the freight up, orginize the overstock onto a pallet or two, and take it back as well as have our area cleaned up in an 8 hour shift. I enjoyed going in, and we worked as a team. Then, from what I understand, we had some suit come in from the Target team, who went and changed how we unloaded and stocked as well as store overstock in the backroom.

Now they have the freight unloaded by a crew who comes in around 3 in the afternoon, unloads the truck, and starts pulling the freight to the floor, while the customers are still in the store. They also have a crew of ICS workers who come in and start working up the freight, plus work the overstock freight. Working overnights, we were supposed to work the remaining freight up. We were told not to work any of the overstock, but the ICS crew was very scarce, and, like Dar mentioned, most were there just to put in their time.

I was fired there last May, for giving a little shove to an employee who was trying to start a fight. Anyway, they offered me my job back at another store. I took some time off, because my son came up to stay with me. A manager at another store, who knows and boasted to his co manager about what a great worker I was, offered me a job working at his store, but for the same wage I started at 6 years ago. I felt insulted, and needless to say, I didn't take him up on his offer. I also can't work for such small wages, because by the time I'd pay a baby sitter, there wouldn't be anything left of my paycheck.

I still talk to one of my friends who works there. He tells me the company has changed from what it was just 9 months ago, when I worked there. He tells me that they have 3 support managers on overnights, and employees who just cram the shelves with freight that doesn't belong. This in turn screws up the ordering. Maybe it's just in my area, because I have seen some very nice Wal-Marts, with happy employees.

Well, I'm done. When I take my son back to his moms place in Florida in June, I will have to start looking for an overnight job, but I doubt it will be with Wal-Mart. They do have decent benefits however, I will give them that.

scruffziller
04-07-2003, 08:44 AM
I know what you mean Bobafrett. What is worse the new stocking provision is like that on grocery in the dairy too!!!
I can't believe they are trying to run our side like it is GM.
They want us to work all the new freight before the old. That means that shorter dates on food are sitting in the back going out of date while new stock is being put out!!! That is not practicing FIFO(first in first out), but they preach it at our meetings; so we can get that that BIG never seen bonus at the end of the year!!! WOOOO HOOOOOO!!!!! Last I checked not practicing FIFO was not only a violation of company policy but a violation of food health safety; THE LAW!! And with that bonus thing, they are always wanting us to work over and cut later so we can get that bonus. I figured up that I can make more money in a year just from getting a little bit of overtime each week, than I would at the largest possibility of an actual bonus if we got one. One guy said one year he got $500 and that is a rareity for that size. But I figured with the overtime, I'll get alot more than that and it is guaranteed.

bobafrett
04-07-2003, 11:46 AM
Scruffziller, in the time that I worked there, I never got one bonus check. The last time we saw a bonus check at our store was during my first year. Me and one other guy missed getting it by one week. If we had been hired andstarted working one week earlier we would have got a check. Then the manager who was tough, but I felt one of the best managers we had in the time I was there, was transferred to another store. I found out from a friend of mine, who worked for this manager, that he was fired, because he got a bad ating from some of the employees on the "Grass Roots survey". This manager had got a bonus check for the store, and now that he is gone, they are most likely not going to see one this time. Wal-Mart seems to have their heads up their rear ends. The reason the employees complained was probably because this manager made them work, I mean, God forbid you should have to earn your paycheck.

As far as the rotation of the foods, I worked in the food department at the store I was employed at. I had another guy who worked with me. We would go to the bins in the back room, and pull overstock freight out, and stock it, especially if we had a light freight night. The ICS crew was supposed to do this during the day, but we'd pull 2 to 4 rolling carts out of freight that would go up. This made us ask, "what is the ICS crew doing?"

The guy I worked with, and I still talk, and he tells me the shelves are getting plugged. When he complained to managment about it, the managements response to him was to quit complaining, or leave the company. Dar is right, they just seem toi throw these managers and assistant managers right in to the program without proper training. Just wait, once customers lose interest, Wal-Mart will become the next K-Mart when the next Johnny come lately discount store comes around. I drive an extra 10 miles to shop at Meijer, as the WM stores in my area look like flea markets.

scruffziller
04-07-2003, 02:58 PM
Yea up until a few months ago we were doing it the way it was suppsoe to be done and then they pull this weird crap on us, the FIFO thing.

Eternal Padawan
04-07-2003, 04:24 PM
Scruffziller, I blame Fred Wesson. ;)

scruffziller
04-07-2003, 04:33 PM
Who is that??

Eternal Padawan
04-08-2003, 02:43 PM
Regional Grand Poobah in the midwest.

Houston Cambell's boss? Houston? The guy with the super short wife who always complains about not being able to reach stuff on the top shelves in the grocery dept?

Ahhhh..forget it.

scruffziller
04-08-2003, 03:15 PM
Oh ok I blame Marianne.

Dar' Argol
04-08-2003, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by bobafrett
Now they have the freight unloaded by a crew who comes in around 3 in the afternoon, unloads the truck, and starts pulling the freight to the floor, while the customers are still in the store.

Hmmm . . . yeah, the unloaders now do come in at 4PM, but they are not suppose to take the frieght out until 10PM. But then again, all stores do things differnetly.

They also have a crew of ICS workers who come in and start working up the freight, plus work the overstock freight. Working overnights, we were supposed to work the remaining freight up. We were told not to work any of the overstock, but the ICS crew was very scarce, and, like Dar mentioned, most were there just to put in their time.

He he he . . . . . . ummm . . . .. we started the ICS:rolleyes:. But they were suppose to be a daytime team. Mainly the daytime stockers were pulled from their depts and told they would now work every dept. It really helped out with morning frieght and getting Mods done. But of course, when Home office got wind of it and sent ppl down to see, they messed the whole plan up and made them 2 shifter:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

They do have decent benefits however, I will give them that.

HAD!! HAD DECENT BENIFITS!! Now they stink!!! My wife and I were on the HMO there. It was Cross and Sheild at the time. Now it did take more out of our paychecks, but everything was coverd!!! When we had our daughter, she only cost us $22!!!! $10 was to see my wifes doctor for him to tell us she was pregnant and $12 was for the phone and TV in the hospitial. EVERYTHING ELSE WAS COVERED!!!! Then the insurance went up and they wanted $210 every 2 weeks from my wife to cover her and out daughter!!!! That was almost 2/3 her check!!!! So we had to downgrade to the crappy WM insurance plan, the "Network Saver":rolleyes:

Last I checked not practicing FIFO was not only a violation of company policy but a violation of food health safety; THE LAW!!

Actually, I'm not sure FIFO is Law. I think its a policy that most grocery stores adopted in order to make sure the freshes stuff was always out on the shelves. It doesn't break any laws until the food expires and is still on the sales floor where someone could purchase it. Then it breaks a whole slew of OSHA regulations. IF you are seriously concered about this, contact your District manager and talk to him. If that doesn't help, go higher.

And with that bonus thing, they are always wanting us to work over and cut later so we can get that bonus. I figured up that I can make more money in a year just from getting a little bit of overtime each week, than I would at the largest possibility of an actual bonus if we got one. One guy said one year he got $500 and that is a rareity for that size. But I figured with the overtime, I'll get alot more than that and it is guaranteed.

The way you get a bounus is by controling your expenses, I.E. not so much Store use stuff, decrease costs, don't spend so much in clearance, reduces theft, etc. Then controling your inventory in the back room as well as the floor can result in an excellent inventory percentage which would get the store a "kickback". In the 5 1/2 years I have been at my store, every year except the year we expanded to a super -center, we got a bonus check. the first one I got was $630 after taxes. This year we got a $720 after taxes sheck. But we are the best store in our district too. we maintain our backroom and inventory so well, that we got a .02 on our inventory this year, which I think is less then 200,000 in shrink which is excellent. We also did 99 million dollars in profit last year too . . . so our volume is there to help towards the bonus check.