PDA

View Full Version : How would you fix smoky toys?

Badbriancool
03-15-2003, 07:20 PM
I recently purchased a star wars figure that was in a smoky environment. Is there any way to recify this. A baking powder bath? a cleaner of some kind? Any help would be appreciated.

Darth Sidious
03-15-2003, 07:23 PM
Which figure is it, and what are the problems associated with the smoke? (I. e. discoloration, stinkiness, etc.?)

Badbriancool
03-15-2003, 07:25 PM
It is the brand new imperial officer. problem associated is stinky smell.

Jargo
03-15-2003, 08:09 PM
The solution you use to handwash crockery and cutlery will do nicely because it is strong but gentle and has nice fresh smells like apple and lemon. it will clean off the residue of nicotine and dirt and take away the bad smell.
This is i presume a 3 figure you're talking about? If you're talking about the 12 " figure then i can't help because i don't collect them
My advice is that you should use the handwashing solution rather than baking powder because baking powder will be abrasive and remove a layer of paint. Just use a saucepan of water and washing solution, immerse the figure in the water, leave to soak for a couple of hours, remove and rinse the figure under cold water, dry with towel and leave in a moderate temperature to completely dry off for a couple of days.
The figure will not be harmed but will smell sweet and clean and look great. Unless you still had the figure carded and then I'm afraid soaking is not a good idea. not a good idea at all..... :sur:

Kidhuman
03-15-2003, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by EMPEROR JARGO
Unless you still had the figure carded and then I'm afraid soaking is not a good idea. not a good idea at all..... :sur:

If it was carded I don't think it would smell or be dirty. :p

But none the less it isn't a good idea to stick a carded figure in the water.

JediTricks
03-16-2003, 09:28 PM
Set the figure up near a fan pointing in the opposite direction and just let it sit there for a few days with the fan on sucking the gas out of it. Make sure the fan is in a safe location with nothing getting into it or it falling down, and try to have it exhausting out of the house or at least out of the room it's in. This is what I did with some of my MASK stuff I bought on ebay and it worked pretty well.

LusiferSam
03-17-2003, 12:37 AM
I'd go with what JT said. I'm always very weary of use any chemicals on my figures. Most people don't have clue what these cleaners might do to the plastic or paint years down the road. The smoke won't do you any favors either, but the sooner you air them out the better. And you might check the vintage section to see anybody has said anything about smoke.

QLD
03-17-2003, 01:33 AM
You could always try the patch.....or Wrigley's Spearmint Gum.

What????? I couldn't resist!!! :crazed:

Old Fossil
03-17-2003, 11:30 PM
Guess those Imperial Officers need something to relieve stress.:frus:

Turbowars
03-18-2003, 10:29 PM
Two question, why does it matter if it smells like smoke? Do you play with it close to your face?:confused: Nevermind don't answer that.:crazed:

JediTricks
03-18-2003, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by JediBrian
the guy never mentioned anything about a smelly action figure...I think he means a white action figure that turned yellow

Originally posted by Badbriancool
It is the brand new imperial officer. problem associated is stinky smell.

And just to clarify, the smell of cigarette smoke is repulsive to me, I wouldn't want it in my house.

Turbowars
03-22-2003, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by JediTricks
And just to clarify, the smell of cigarette smoke is repulsive to me, I wouldn't want it in my house. Yeah JT I don't like cig smoke either, but come on. Smoke from a little figure shouldn't be that bad. Get some Lysol, my god get a clue.

JediTricks
03-23-2003, 07:17 PM
This problem is a legitimate inconvenience; you have no idea how bad it gets. I bought the POTF2 Snowspeeder off Ebay because I missed it the first time around, and when I got it, it stank of cig smoke. At first I thought I could live with it, but within a few days that part of the room it was in smelled like a dank nightclub and I subconciously started to avoid that part of my collection - and since this was in my bedroom, it started to set off my asthma as well.

Lysol doesn't do JACK to help this problem, it temporarily covers up the smell but when the Lysol loses its scent, the cig smoke comes back. Why would you let something that bothers you and smells as repulsive as stale cigarette smoke continue to bother you and tarnish your personal space?

Kidhuman
03-23-2003, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by JediTricks
This problem is a legitimate inconvenience; you have no idea how bad it gets. I bought the POTF2 Snowspeeder off Ebay because I missed it the first time around, and when I got it, it stank of cig smoke. At first I thought I could live with it, but within a few days that part of the room it was in smelled like a dank nightclub and I subconciously started to avoid that part of my collection - and since this was in my bedroom, it started to set off my asthma as well.

Lysol doesn't do JACK to help this problem, it temporarily covers up the smell but when the Lysol loses its scent, the cig smoke comes back. Why would you let something that bothers you and smells as repulsive as stale cigarette smoke continue to bother you and tarnish your personal space?

There is a product that Home Depot sells by Zep. It is a cig. smoke smell reducer. It works quite well. I smoke and use this product and it gets rid of the smell. It comes back after awhile becuase we keep smoking but it does get rid of the smoke smell. You can find it in their cleaning product aisle.

LusiferSam
03-31-2003, 12:00 AM
What's in this stuff "Zep?" Because I completing agree with JT on how repulsive the smell and it seem to ooze on to other things and places. Its big problem for me with Legos I've bought on e-bay and when my sister (her boyfriend is the smoker) rides in my car.

Kidhuman
03-31-2003, 09:38 AM
It is like an air freshner. It is made by Zep and called Smoke Eliminator. I believe it is in a gray can. Costs less than 5 bucks. Works splendidly.