PDA

View Full Version : Who else got chills when..

Amy
03-16-2003, 10:40 PM
When we first heard the Darth Vader theme after Anakin killed the Tuskins?? That REALLY hit me in the theater!:eek: I was just wondering if that hit anyone else the first time you watched it. As did seeing Lars homested, and the end, when all the troops where boarding as Palpy looked on.

Good stuff.;)

derek
03-16-2003, 10:54 PM
that scene didn't give me chills, but whan anakin told padme, "i killed them all......", that gave me chills, and showed me the potential hayden has for becoming a really good actor. :)

mini-rock
03-17-2003, 12:24 AM
The scenes that you both describe give me goosebumps everytime I watch AOTC. It never get's old or worn out no matter how many times I see it. Anakin and the tusken raider scene, and his confession to Padme with Vader's theme give me goosebumps on my arms & neck. The Lars homestead doesn't do much for me, but form when Yoda says "Begun the Clone War has" till the end theme I have goosebumps so bad it feels like my skin is on fire.

I'd still have to say the scenes that do it for me the most are when Obi-Wan and Anakin have the arguement on the gunship right after Padme falls out with laserblast bursting all around them, and then it cut's to a shot of Yoda. And the other would be the duel between Yoda & Dooku, and the music used for that scene combined gave me goosebumps from head to toe.

My wife always makes fun of me when that happens, but what can I say...I'm a SW geek.:D

stillakid
03-17-2003, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by derek
potential

That's a mouthful. ;) Too bad he isn't anywhere close yet.

James Boba Fettfield
03-17-2003, 12:35 AM
I accidently kicked a guy in the head during the Tusken scene. I'm not sure what feeling I got after doing it, but I just stared at the screen and pretended not to see him look at me.

darthvyn
03-17-2003, 12:43 AM
yeah, i'd have to say that from the moment shmi dies to the end of the confession scene is my favorite part of the movie. it's quite powerful.

2-1B
03-17-2003, 01:32 AM
Originally posted by darthvyn
yeah, i'd have to say that from the moment shmi dies to the end of the confession scene is my favorite part of the movie. it's quite powerful.

Mine too! :)
Hayden does such a fine job in this movie (for me it's not a matter of his potential to be a really good actor since I already think he is! :happy: ) that this has to be my favorite sequence, too.
I like Ewan McGregor probably just as much, but it's Hayden who gets to show the emotion so I empathize with his character . . . had they gone with one of many different actors, I don't think I'd love AOTC nearly as much as I do.

I'm really glad the DVD has the extended lines in the garage scene. I liked the theatrical scene but thought it ended too abruptly. I loved the line from the novel, "I don't want to hate them" and thought the inclusion of the DVD line "I'm supposed to be better than this" really added to his remorse. :)

Now I'm all excited and need to watch Life as a House and AOTC again tomorrow. :D

Amy
03-17-2003, 02:28 AM
Originally posted by Caesar
Mine too! :)
Hayden does such a fine job in this movie (for me it's not a matter of his potential to be a really good actor since I already think he is! :happy: ) that this has to be my favorite sequence, too.
I like Ewan McGregor probably just as much, but it's Hayden who gets to show the emotion so I empathize with his character . . . had they gone with one of many different actors, I don't think I'd love AOTC nearly as much as I do.

I'm really glad the DVD has the extended lines in the garage scene. I liked the theatrical scene but thought it ended too abruptly. I loved the line from the novel, "I don't want to hate them" and thought the inclusion of the DVD line "I'm supposed to be better than this" really added to his remorse. :)

Now I'm all excited and need to watch Life as a House and AOTC again tomorrow. :D

Yes, I agree:). I also love these two amazing(and hot) actors, and I also think Hayden got way too much heat.:frus: I heard countless complaints about his acting skills in AOTC, and I still cant see why.

James Boba Fettfield
03-17-2003, 02:30 AM
Originally posted by Amy
I heard countless complaints about his acting skills in AOTC, and I still cant see why.

Oh no, you've done it now . . .

QLD
03-17-2003, 02:30 AM
Because any scenes where JHayden had speaking lines were god-awful?????

Just a suggestion. I got chills from that scene, but for an entirely different reason. :crazed:

But to each his own. I'm glad someone likes it.

2-1B
03-17-2003, 02:39 AM
TPM would have been way better if they had a young Hayden in the movie (no offense to little Jakey though :D ).

QLD
03-17-2003, 02:41 AM
Hayden gave me new found respect for Jake Lloyd.........:p

Amy
03-17-2003, 04:47 AM
Originally posted by Quite-Long Dong
Hayden gave me new found respect for Jake Lloyd.........:p

How was he awful? Please tell me so I at least know what the problem was.

mini-rock
03-17-2003, 05:11 AM
Originally posted by Amy
I heard countless complaints about his acting skills in AOTC, and I still cant see why.

2 words....HE'S HOT!! They know they can't equal his looks so they attack his acting skills even though they know they could never be as talented.;)

As for Jake there were times in the film where he was so so, but I think ultimately he pulled it off.

Pendo
03-17-2003, 09:10 AM
There were a few scenes that gaev me chills. Here are some of the best:
At the end with all the millions of Clones
Anakin's confession
Anakin's promise to his mother "I promise, I won't fail you again"

I thought Hayden was PERFECT for Anakin's roll, he pulled it off superbly (I also think Jake Lloyd was a pretty good Anakin too, but I'll save that for the Episode I section ;)).

PENDO!

QLD
03-17-2003, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by Amy
How was he awful? Please tell me so I at least know what the problem was.

Welllllllllllllll...........

In MY opinion........he sounded like he never read the script before they started filming. I actually blame Lucas for this more than Hayden though. I feel as though he was more concerned with making the scenes LOOK right, as opposed to making sure it had believable and interesting dialogue.

Again, in MY opinion, I have seen much better acting performances from wrestlers and community plays. I did not find his dialgoue serious, or believable, and I thought it was delivered with the precison of a jackhammer. There are awkward pauses and silly lines.

Again, I blame G.Lu for this, as he also managed to milk poor performances from other established actors such as Sam Jackson and Natalie Portman.

But just my opinion, as nobody can prove they are right. :D

Kidhuman
03-17-2003, 11:49 AM
I got chills hearing it. ALso when the clones came in on Geonosis. IMO Hayden reeked as Anakin. I know he was supposed to be confused but his voice irratated the living poop outta me. I hope he takes acting lessons for EP3

Amy
03-17-2003, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by Quite-Long Dong
Welllllllllllllll...........

In MY opinion........he sounded like he never read the script before they started filming. I actually blame Lucas for this more than Hayden though. I feel as though he was more concerned with making the scenes LOOK right, as opposed to making sure it had believable and interesting dialogue.

Again, in MY opinion, I have seen much better acting performances from wrestlers and community plays. I did not find his dialgoue serious, or believable, and I thought it was delivered with the precison of a jackhammer. There are awkward pauses and silly lines.

Again, I blame G.Lu for this, as he also managed to milk poor performances from other established actors such as Sam Jackson and Natalie Portman.

But just my opinion, as nobody can prove they are right. :D

Oh ok, although I dont agree, I know now why so mant hated him.

I'm going to have to agree with mini-rock and Pendo though.:D

DarthChuckMc
03-17-2003, 05:17 PM
QLD..

G. Lu is friggin AWESOME!! I almost fell out of my chair when I saw that.

That's a lot better than J. Lo

Incidently, I have a friend named Jackie Hodak, and she goes by J. Ho.

Mine doesn't work as Well...
C. Mc

When I first started posting here, people thought DarthChuckMc implied that I was a rapper. Truth be told, I'm just Irish. :D

Vortex
03-17-2003, 06:47 PM
Yea, I gotta second Donger's feeling on Mr. Hayden's acting ability.

He delivered his lines poorly through out the entire movie. He was too choppy, totally unbelievable in many scenes and his tone inflection was just wrong.

The only time he was a genuinely good actor was when they were having lunch in the grass while surrounded by those overly large blood engorged wood tic looking things...his lines there were believable.

When they were having dinner, and sitting by the fire place and he starts to deliver his "heartfelt" lines...good lord, what a waste of 5 minuets. I was embarrassed for the kid. He sounded pathetic, the lines G. Lu wrote were just rotten. There was no true passion there, it was like he was just reading lines and trying to sound sincere and lost in love. I've been in his shoes before and if I would have even attempted to sound like he did or use those lines...I would have been laughed at.

His "angry" look when he wars with obi wan look forced and not natural.

I could go on, but this has been covered before...

If you ladies can put his looks to the side for a moment and just listen and watch the movie you might sing a differnt a different toon.

And I will have to second G. Lu usage of Portman and Jackson. Two very good actors who are confined and restrained by lucas. Even in Ep. I Jackson's Mace is sad. Corney dialog, dead pan delivery.

Amy
03-17-2003, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by tjovonovich

If you ladies can put his looks to the side for a moment and just listen and watch the movie you might sing a differnt a different toon.

One of my friends from childhood is BLIND, and thinks the only one that has no feeling in his lines is Sam Jackson. She sais it sounds as if he is just reading his lines as he talks.

Although, I dont agree.:)

mini-rock
03-17-2003, 08:44 PM
Maybe Mace from TPM is a little bland, but from AOTC no way. Funny though, one of my favorite parts with him he has no dialog at all. It's when the Clone Commander says "Sir, I have five special commando units awaiting your orders sir" and Mace just points in the direction of the battle as if to say "You know what to do MF!!"

scruffziller
03-19-2003, 09:03 AM
When Jar Jar starts to think real hard when Mos Ameda says.....

IF ONLY SENATOR AMIDALA WERE HERE

Heh heh...:evil:

That crafty Palpy and his cronies.

Darkross
03-20-2003, 11:50 AM
OH YEAH! I got chills big time when Vader's theme was playing in the background as Anakin was confessing his dirty deed to Padme. Oh wait...no...I got chills because I was sitting directly below the A/C...sorry! LOL!

scruffziller
03-22-2003, 10:12 AM
I mainly got chills when in EPS 1 when Qui GOnn was getting Anikin's midichlorian count and looks over at Schmi and you hear the Sith chant.:crazed:

jjreason
03-23-2003, 04:09 AM
For me, it's when Luke passes out on Hoth, right after speaking with the spirit of Obi Wan. That's looks chilly to say the least!

The Chosen One
03-25-2003, 01:34 AM
The scene where palpatine is looking over his army and ships gave me goosebumps. As well, when Anakin is kneeling besides his dying mother.

On the subject of Hayden....yeah he did suck alot in AOTC. There were instances where he pulled of some good lines or motions, but in overall he did a bad job. But I dont complain much because, I remeber Jake from TPM....then, I suddenly become very satisfied by Hayden's acting skills. :)

Besides, IMO...alot of actors in TPM and AOTC just .."aren't into it" ....Jake Lloyd, Natalie Portman, Ewan McGregor....Bad jobs. I'll admitt, Ewan improved greatly in AOTC, but Natalie (as much as I luv her) has been LAME and STALE....The only Scene where I can even detect partial emotion from her is in the scene where she admitts her love to Anakin. And Natalie isnt bad in other movies...So, I dunno...maybe they're just not into it.

QLD
03-25-2003, 01:55 AM
speaking of Jake.....I just saw him on an old episode of E.R.

I got chills :)

jedibear
03-30-2003, 11:57 PM
I'm in the camp that appreciates Mr. Christensen's acting....

As often as I've watched AOTC, my two favorite dramatic scenes are:

"Dreams pass in time...." Ewan brings a perfect melancoly feeling to that scene...I always think of Qui-Gon during that line.

"The thought of not being with you....I can't breathe!" The eagerness...the honesty...the foreshadowing of his later life are all captured in Hayden's reading of this line. I really LIKE that the lines in this film DON't sound comtemporary but classic (okay, what some here would peg as cliche'). But how often have we really heard someone profess their feelings to another as simply and beautifully as this? No smart comebacks or zingers ala Han & Leia...just honest feeling from someone who is totally inexperienced at love...

Now back to the topic at hand....my "chills" for this film happen during the Tusken attack when we're in Yoda's room and the voice of Qui-Gon pierces the air along with the sound of Vader breathing...great moment!

stillakid
03-31-2003, 01:19 AM
Originally posted by jedibear
But how often have we really heard someone profess their feelings to another as simply and beautifully as this? No smart comebacks or zingers ala Han & Leia...just honest feeling from someone who is totally inexperienced at love...

Pick up a Danielle Steele novel lately? I'm geniunely glad that you find enjoyment from it, but for me, I have to stifle the gag reflex at such sappy, unrealistic, and poorly delivered (acting-wise) dialogue. For me, the worst part of that love story was Padme, out of the blue, saying that she "truly, deeply" loves Anakin. Not only was there absolutely no motivation for her to like the guy, much less love him, the lines themselves are forced as well.

To each his own. :)

2-1B
03-31-2003, 01:45 AM
George claimed it was supposed to be corny in a 1930s cinema way. I'm not well versed in 1930s cinema so I don't know how closely he achieved that goal . . . but there is plenty of corn there ! :crazed:

I do however agree with stillakid about it being "unrealistic" - and I love that aspect of it ! :)

jedibear - I also love that "Dreams pass in time" scene, it's one of my favorites, too. I would also add Ani's little head nod which occurs right before Obi says it. I love it so much, I made an avatar out of it ! :D

The "I can't breath" line is another wonderful moment - I would place it in the unrealistic category I mentioned above. The dialogue itself is cheesy, but the emotion really comes through for me in that delivery. :)

stillakid
03-31-2003, 10:26 AM
George claimed it was supposed to be corny in a 1930s cinema way. I'm not well versed in 1930s cinema so I don't know how closely he achieved that goal . . . but there is plenty of corn there ! :crazed:

There was a bit of that kind of over-the-top campiness in the silent films of the Twenties...maybe that's what he was going for.:D

I think he needs to pick a genre and stick with it. The "old-time-Western-in-Space" thing was working really well. Some people even called the OT a space "opera," but I don't think it was that audacious. But to start tossing in a bunch of flowery Shakespearian ala Danielle Steele dialogue is out of place and it sticks out like a sore thumb. :dead:

mini-rock
03-31-2003, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by jedibear
"The thought of not being with you....I can't breathe!" The eagerness...the honesty...the foreshadowing of his later life are all captured in Hayden's reading of this line. I really LIKE that the lines in this film DON't sound comtemporary but classic (okay, what some here would peg as cliche'). But how often have we really heard someone profess their feelings to another as simply and beautifully as this? No smart comebacks or zingers ala Han & Leia...just honest feeling from someone who is totally inexperienced at love...

Right on! It was nice to have some seriousness instead of the "snappy" comebacks like Han & Leia. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but it was cool that GL went with something different. Hayden was great through the entire film, but this was one of the stand out scenes that truly showed his tremendous acting ability.:)

stillakid
03-31-2003, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by mini-rock
Hayden was great through the entire film, but this was one of the stand out scenes that truly showed his tremendous acting ability.:)

Beyond the period at the end of that statement, I can't see how any of those words strung together can be taken seriously. We are truly living in different planes of existence.:crazed:

mini-rock
03-31-2003, 07:30 PM
The "I can't breath" line is another wonderful moment - I would place it in the unrealistic category I mentioned above. The dialogue itself is cheesy, but the emotion really comes through for me in that delivery. :)

Yeah the dialogue IS cheesy :D, but Hayden's performance really makes you feel Anakin's love for Padme. I just watched both EP1 and 2 today with some friends, man these are some fun movies.:)

stillakid
03-31-2003, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by mini-rock
Yeah the dialogue IS cheesy :D, but Hayden's performance really makes you feel Anakin's love for Padme. I just watched both EP1 and 2 today with some friends, man these are some fun movies.:)

This "ignore" feature of the boards is really interesting. Kinda like talking to my kids. Pretty much the same mentality at work too. "I'm not listening to you....(covers ears) LA LA LA LA LA LA!!!!"

Hmm. Where can I pick up some of those rose-colored glasses? :confused:

notafinga
04-13-2003, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by Amy
One of my friends from childhood is BLIND, and thinks the only one that has no feeling in his lines is Sam Jackson. She sais it sounds as if he is just reading his lines as he talks.

Although, I dont agree.:)

i would agree with your friend on that one...

Sam:"that's possible, he's just returned from a border dispute on Antian"
granted, that line isn't going to invoke much emotion, but it was delivered in a monotone reading-the-line-right-out-of-the-script kind of way.
The pauses in the dialogue in that scene overall were awkward, IMO.

mm74md
04-23-2003, 04:03 PM
...I get chills just from hearing the Fox Fanfare & seeing the Lucas Film logo :o

Pendo
04-23-2003, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by mm74md
...I get chills just from hearing the Fox Fanfare & seeing the Lucas Film logo :o

Agreed. I remember waiting in cinema for Eps I and II to start, the adverts seemed to last forever, then suddenly Alfred Newman's 20th Century Fox blasted through the speakers, followed by the LucasFilm logo, A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away... :D

PENDO!

mini-rock
04-23-2003, 04:51 PM
I totally agree with both you guy's on that.:D

Dialogus
04-30-2003, 03:52 AM
Same thing 4 me!

The fanfare, the logo, a long time ago...the SW theme exploding in our ears as the familiar resume scrolls up...it's just plain intense:happy:!!!

Teeska Mon Eebon
05-23-2003, 11:00 PM
I get teary and chilly when that duel of fates thing with OT and TPM thing comes on before the OT Video Tapes....