PDA

View Full Version : Population explosion?

jjreason
03-17-2003, 12:55 AM
Hey gang. Maybe I'm off my rocker, but I think the membership on this site has gone from like 3880 to way over 4000 in the past week. Great site and all, but what the heck's going on? Did I sleep through the opening of Episode III? :D

By the way, welcome aboard everyone!

JJR

James Boba Fettfield
03-17-2003, 12:59 AM
Maybe that Hasbro event thing recently attracted them all here.

2-1B
03-17-2003, 01:00 AM
Reason - wait right there while I get my spaying and neutering equipment.

Wait, this isn't The Price is Right . . .

James Boba Fettfield
03-17-2003, 01:03 AM
Now to find out how many of them will post and discuss Star Wars with us, or see how many do none of the previously mentioned and just lurk around.

QLD
03-17-2003, 01:27 AM
Maybe Deckard Smith will come back :eek:

jjreason
03-17-2003, 01:32 AM
Hehehehehehehe........now that's funny!!!! Did he EVER, EVER post? Even once? I never got all the way through that thread to find out.........bunch a rabble rousers around here.......

kool-aid killer
03-17-2003, 07:07 AM
Ive noticied that too. It seems like there is only 50 or so people who post on a regular basis. Maybe they are shy, or after they read a certain thread they cant really add anything else that hasnt been said about this new Hasbro toy or whatever. I like this forum but it kind of seems like high school in some ways (dont mean to offend anybody) with certain people having what seems like certain roles. Now im not sure if its true, i could be drinking my kool aid too fast but thats just how it seemed when i first joined.

scruffziller
03-17-2003, 09:12 AM
I think it is the Spring Fever. Everyone is being motivated to staying inside JUST LIKE ME!!!!!!!:D

No but seriously....:zzz:

The population of the earth doubles every 33 years.

QLD
03-17-2003, 09:20 AM
kool-aid, you are probably right about the high school thing.....

but just a question, what is my role??? :crazed:

James Boba Fettfield
03-17-2003, 09:22 AM
Ok, I admit it. I've been putting up ambiguous ads all over the Ohio St. campus advertising the site. People are curious, and they are inclined to check it out. Hence, the new members.

No, not really though. I almost told a friend about this secret internet cult once because he enjoys the Star Wars films and such, just doesn't collect the toys.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
03-17-2003, 10:01 AM
Yeah, i noticed this too...maybe our popularity is getting attention! :D

Oh, QLD, i like your icon, you copyin' cat you!!! ;)

QLD
03-17-2003, 10:13 AM
JMG, I couldn't help it. That show is just so awesome. I only realized the joys of it recently, but thanks to tivo and Kazaa, I think I have seen them all now.

HOLY CRAP!!!

Funny thing is....I really want to see a Tinfins movie now :)

Jargo
03-17-2003, 01:10 PM
Whenever pics get posted there's a boom in membership. They come, they gorge themselves and then they leave without so much as a burp or fart of thanks. They are the picture vampires leeching the blood from the servers so we can't get in. Slowing the site to a sluggish wraith existence.

And 50 active members would be about right judging by the polls section. Every poll seems to get roughly the same respondees. Averaging out at about 48 per poll. But we don't need fair weather friends, tourists! let them fade away into the ethernet and never see the light of day again.

Kidhuman
03-17-2003, 02:05 PM
At least they could leave a quarter for using the phone. Lousy freeloaders....

darthvyn
03-17-2003, 03:27 PM
i'd say maybe a little more than 50... i would consider myself an active member, but i rarely check out the polls... i don't know why.

and, yes, jj... you slept through the opening AND the full run of ep. III... i don't know how it happened, but we all decided not to ruin your life, so i hacked into your computer and changed the date to the day after you fell asleep for 6 months. that way, it seemed like you only slept for a regular interval. have you cut your fingernails yet? you seem to be typing alright...

Jargo
03-17-2003, 03:48 PM
Rip Van Reason..... Strange how the current political turn of events echoes star wars in thet the madman at the top of the tree has almost got around to dissolving the UN so that he can use his amassed armies to quell the rebel cause. President - Emperor, there isn't much difference really. It's just dependent on your point of view as to how you see the differences in the two sides of the coin. I wonder what sanctions would have been brought against Britain if Blair had decided not to side with bush.
America could so easily turn the UK into a third world wasteland if financial backing was withdrawn and debts called in. Chirac is going to be treated as the bail organa of the piece and france will be treated to the cold shoulder I suspect. Not that there's anything new in that of course but it's interesting to make ridiculous comparisons.
No two ways about it we're at war and we can look forward to lots of lovely terrorist backlash. better buy up those flak jackets and buy gasmasks. start checking underneath your car before you get in it. stop making long term plans if you're going to continue visiting public spaces.
Oh well Bush Snr got what he wanted after all.

Sorry this has nothing to do with anything in this thread my mind just wandered for a moment.

people browsing. mostly guests according to the who's online section. Guests tend to all view the same threads in bunches so one can only assume that someone on another site linked to that thread. Threads with images in them usually have lots of guest all viewing at the same time, usually for extended periods. You're probably right about there being more active members, probably something like 200 rather than fifty. But the polls don't usually get more than fifty people typing responses even if they get more than that actually voting. I suppose there are just a bunch of very vocal people here and the others are content to just read. and occasionally post. It used to bother me about the lurkers, like someone watching you shower or something, a little unnerving, but i got used to it, the lurkers not being watched in the shower... not that that's ever happened to me... not that i know of anyway.... I hope it hasn't happened.... how would i know.....? ugh.... :(

Kidhuman
03-17-2003, 04:06 PM
Yeah Jargo, they are talking about boycotting all French products in the U.S. I heard on Capital Hill they stopped calling it French Fries and French Toast and started calling it Freedom Frties and Freedom Toast. So France is getting the cold shoulder already.

Jargo
03-17-2003, 04:22 PM
So soon? I'm flabbergasted... no really i am... honest. Freedom meaning what precisely? whose freedom will these fries now celebrate? French toast was never French to begin with so there's mud in their eyes. How silly. Sily reactionary people. Oh let's all buy big guns and all go French person hunting because France wouldn't play ball. let's have a mock france day added to the calender. Let's rename bastille day as bastard froggy quitter day and let's all laff hahaha at how they use all those funny words with crap spelling and eat all those funny foods. Oh the french don't wash hahaha oh the french are all bigamists hahahaha, Oh france couldn't stop a war so now they won't start one hahaha

So, will that mean Quebec being omitted from any new maps printed in 2003? cuz thems frenchies over there. they talk funny too so aint they all the same? Gonna rename all french things and all germerman things. They won't play ball so let's just blank out those places from the maps and change history books so they don't include french france no more and Chanel and Gaultier and Christian Dior can just go take a hike from Rodeo drive or wherever the hell they have stores and no more french france haute cuisine and no more haute coiture and no more damn french france frogginess!

I get carried away. But really, how ridiculous is that? renaming french toast and fries. :rolleyes: people are so deep sometimes it makes me proud to be a human. Global ghettoism now that's progress for ya.

jjreason
03-17-2003, 06:32 PM
Rip Van Reason, damn......I didn't think the coffee was working this morning, no wonder. Well, now that Im up, I've got some catching up to do. Hmmmmmm, Im starving!

I'll take a large order of FREEDOM TOAST with a side of FREEDOM FRIES!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

QLD
03-17-2003, 06:41 PM
But what are we going to call croissants now????

Beast
03-17-2003, 06:49 PM
Don't forget your Freedom Roast Coffee, when you enjoy your next Freedom Dip. With a nice salad with Freedom dressing. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

darthvyn
03-17-2003, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by Quite-Long Dong

half eaten bagels?

for dessert tonight i had freedom vanilla ice cream...

jjreason
03-17-2003, 09:50 PM
Freedom kissing can lead to many things - including children.

I took Freedom, but only until Grade 12.

Im going to put on my Freedom Maid outfit - Jodi loves me in it.

And I'm spent.

DarthBrandon
03-17-2003, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by EMPEROR JARGO
So, will that mean Quebec being omitted from any new maps printed in 2003?

I sure hope so.:D That would be one hell of a thing to see happen.

Kidhuman
03-18-2003, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by Quite-Long Dong

Call them what you will I hate them anyway.

On another note. I talked to a friend last night that lives in NYC. He was telling me how restaraunts are returning French Wine to the manufacturers. If they wouldn't take them back they were flushing them down the toilet. He also said they had a protest at the French Emabassy and were dumping bottles of French Wine down the sewers.

The Overlord Returns
03-18-2003, 10:33 AM
So.....now that Canada has announced it's opposition......will canadian Bacon be nixed?

Hmmm...Freedom bacon?

I dunno......doesn't have all that nice a ring to it.

jjreason
03-18-2003, 12:24 PM
Canada is sending mixed messages, sitting on the fence. What a surprise.....

Many of our troops, ships, etc are still deployed and ready to go - yet we won't participate without a UN sanction? Watch and see. It's not like our pathetic, atrophied military muscle is going to make one speck of difference to the outcome, it's the principal of the comment by Chretien that sticks in my craw. I call for a vote of No Confidence!!!!!!!!

mabudonicus
03-18-2003, 12:36 PM
Better clean out yer craw, JJ, last I heard there was tons of stuff stuck in there:D
I took Freedom enough that I actually speak it, BTW..... Freedom Vanilla..... Freedom crullers....
In reference to this thread title, however, the population will die down once all us Freedom speaking folks get swept under the carpet with the rest of the Freedom people.... If someone had told me 10 years ago that there would be a fresh round of WWII era propaganda aimed at France, I woulda told em to go to Freedom:D
But yeah, on topic, there do seem to be some more "faces" popping up around here, could be the Clone Wars cartoon maybe??

The Overlord Returns
03-18-2003, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by jjreason
Canada is sending mixed messages, sitting on the fence. What a surprise.....

Many of our troops, ships, etc are still deployed and ready to go - yet we won't participate without a UN sanction? Watch and see. It's not like our pathetic, atrophied military muscle is going to make one speck of difference to the outcome, it's the principal of the comment by Chretien that sticks in my craw. I call for a vote of No Confidence!!!!!!!!

I couldn't disagree more.

We have stated that we will not support a war without UN approval. A basic, straightforward claim.

I mean sure, our 100, 000 strong armed forces couldn't possibly hope to make the impact that australians 2000 member army would....but then again, what country could top that? ;)

JediTricks
03-18-2003, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by mabudon
If someone had told me 10 years ago that there would be a fresh round of WWII era propaganda aimed at France, I woulda told em to go to Freedom:D Whatever do you mean about these days? WW2-esque propeganda? Putting American citizens in a prison camp just because they're from the enemy's country? Renaming a popular snack simply because the name is dependent on another enemy's language? That's preposterous! (Unless you count the Japanese/Middle Easterner internment camps or the Victory Cabbage/Freedom Fries thing, then it's remarkably similar. ;)) The saddest thing of all, French dressing was invented in California and French Fries were invented in Belgium and are named for the style of cut used on the potatoes... ok, it's not THE saddest thing, but it's kinda ironic and lame.

Anyway, it's possible there are more lurkers, the count went up 100 since yesterday IIRC and 400 over the weekend. It could be that they're registering to leave 1 or 2 comments like in a poll and don't stick around. Or they could be signing up to use the comments system on the new Collections & Events photo system.

jjreason
03-19-2003, 02:18 AM
Originally posted by The Overlord Returns
I couldn't disagree more.

We have stated that we will not support a war without UN approval. A basic, straightforward claim.

I mean sure, our 100, 000 strong armed forces couldn't possibly hope to make the impact that australians 2000 member army would....but then again, what country could top that? ;)

TOR - disagree all you want, when the shooting starts are our guys just going to decide they don't want to play? Canadians ARE THERE. On land and sea, ready to go. Chretien may say we don't support the war, but the deployment of our forces would say otherwise. Watch and see, we'll be involved.

Tonysmo
03-19-2003, 03:06 AM
I have a love for freedom cut green beans....

I never understood why Canadian Bacon is called Bacon... Its um, HAM! I got real ****y when I ask for Bacon on my pizza, and even tell them, REAL Bacon.. and I still get a pizza with ham.. grrrrr....

as for posting n such, Ive known about this site for quite awhile, and finally warmed up to the forums about a year ago -

kool-aid killer
03-19-2003, 06:56 AM
If any lurker is reading this please post something here. I wouldnt mind knowing what your reasons are for not posting, what do you think of the forums, and anything else about yourself.

Kidhuman
03-19-2003, 01:06 PM
So.....now that Canada has announced it's opposition......will canadian Bacon be nixed?

Hmmm...Freedom bacon?

I dunno......doesn't have all that nice a ring to it.

I call it ham that's what it basically is:p

The Overlord Returns
03-19-2003, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by kidhuman
I call it ham that's what it basically is:p

The technical name for it is "Peameal Bacon"...I think it's only you yanks that call it Canadian Bacon...or ham...as you mentioned ;)

jjreason
03-19-2003, 05:41 PM
I think "Bacon" comes from the belly of the beast, so to speak. Ham, however comes straight from the upper back leg as far as I know.

darthvyn
03-19-2003, 05:50 PM
The technical name for it is "Peameal Bacon"...I think it's only you yanks that call it Canadian Bacon...or ham...as you mentioned ;)

just like in china chinese food is just... food...

jjreason
03-19-2003, 07:35 PM
That's a weird thought, eh?

Translated from the Cantonese[How's it goin' tonight Doll? You feel like goin' out? Cool. What's it gonna be? Italian? French? American?]

darthvyn
03-19-2003, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by jjreason

Translated from the Cantonese[How's it goin' tonight Doll? You feel like goin' out? Cool. What's it gonna be? Italian? French? American?]

but you forgot the last option... chinese food, which to him would be...

italian? french (and don't you mean "freedom" ;) ?) american? or should we just get some FOOD...

:confused: :sur: :happy: :cry: :crazed:

JediTricks
03-19-2003, 07:54 PM
I know we're a fairly young country compared to most others out there with specific cuisines, but why doesn't the US have an authentic cuisine? We classically seem to modify, copy or expand upon other countries' cuisines, but while there are plenty of US-invented dishes we don't seem to have our own true cuisine. Sure, everybody thinks cheeseburgers and fries are American cuisine, but they're not - cheeseburgers it turns out have been around since ancient Greece and Rome, and fries were invented in Belgium. Are we a blank slate country? Is the "melting pot" society makeup too many culinary voices to allow for a style that is truly unique? Do we as Americans even care that we don't have anything we can truly call an original food style?

Kidhuman
03-19-2003, 07:59 PM
Probably not but all that food sure is good.

jjreason
03-20-2003, 07:18 AM
I think maybe that is our North American style, JT. Canada and the US have populations comprised of people from all over the globe. Very little of what we eat, when we choose an ethnic meal, is really truly LIKE the dish in the old country, it's all "Americanized" for our consumption (read "Chicken balls" here). If you wanted to get our countries' native cuisine, I guess you'd have to go to the natives themselves. Up here a delicacy would be herring roe on kelp. Further north raw seal meat. Down south, mashed raw meat with berries, dried in the sun and kept in a pouch for days on end. Personally (and no offense intended) I'll stick to the burger.

JJR

JediTricks
03-21-2003, 02:40 AM
Hey, at least we have cheeseburgers and fries; what do you Canadians have for cuisine??? BACON! ;) J/k

Look at Mexican cuisine, it's North American too but it's a definite school of cuisine, and in some ways it's similar to French, Italian, and Chinese in that it has several sub-cuisines based on geographic origins. It uses a mishmosh of old-world Spanish and native American techniques, but due to the local indigenous ingredients that grow there, it has a flavor all its own. It's not like the US and Canada don't have a ridiculous number of indigenous ingredients - some of which are so popular that they've been spread around the globe - yet when people eat them they generally don't think "hey, this tastes like American food".

I will agree with you that our foods have been processed into a much less vibrant meal - though I believe that is more about simplicity via mass-production or shortcuts than a lack of a refined northern-North American palette.

Jargo
03-21-2003, 06:21 AM
Whenever I eat a potato I think "hey, this tastes American!" Thank you for the potato all those years ago in the reign of HRH Queen Elizabeth I. If she hadn't taken to it we never would have had fish and chips or any other cholesterol raising dishes. No seriously Potatos are hip but they're yours dude. That's what American food is to me. ;)

The Overlord Returns
03-21-2003, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by JediTricks
Hey, at least we have cheeseburgers and fries; what do you Canadians have for cuisine??? BACON! ;) J/k

HEY!!!!! We have the lovely gourmet dish known as Poutine as well ;)

JediTricks
03-22-2003, 12:33 AM
TOR, I have absolutely no idea what that is. Is it made from elk or moose? :D

Jargo, it's not the potatoes that have the cholesterol, it's the MASSIVE VATS OF FAT YOU COOK THEM IN!!! ;) What's ironic about your US-tater thing is that potatoes were originally not native to the North American continent, they were native to South America where they were cultivated by the Incas and spread around the continent for hundreds of years. From there it's believed they were brought from Peru to Spain in the 16th century where upon it spread to northwestern Europe, and by the beginning of the 17th century the humble potato was introduced from Europe to North America.

QLD
03-22-2003, 12:41 AM
What aboot Kraft Dinner???? ;)