PDA

View Full Version : Farscape: Series Finale Airs Friday!

Beast
03-17-2003, 03:20 AM
Just wanted to give a heads up, for the fans of the show that post here. Farscape will air it's series finale this friday, after four amazing seasons. It's truely been a hell of a ride, with each season being more entertaining and more intresting then the previous one. From reading the plot synopisis, it's a fitting end for the series, though not an entirely happy one.

The cast and crew, had planned on a five year arc for the series. They had already finished filming the season cliffhanger finale for season four, when it came down from Sci-Fi that the series would not be picked up. Even though it had been announced as being on the schedule for a fifth season. Sadly, Sci-Fi was purchased by USA and they are apperantly trying to kill the channel.

This gave the cast and crew, no time to film a final series finale. So what will air, is the original intended season finale. While in the tradition of Farscape, it's a great one...it's also a shocking one. It's really a fitting end for the series, should we never see the crew of Moya again. But, thankfully, the original "To Be Continued" remains at the end, instead of attempting to cheat up an ending.

Infact the only real hint that it's the end, is in John Critchon's opening introduction. We get the "Previously on Farscape" opening, which then shows us flashes of the story arc that ran for the past 87 episodes. And then we hear John state, "And finally, on Farscape." It's a bit sad, in a way. If you want a look ahead at what's in store, I'll post a link at the end of this thread.

But you know what, I'm glad they leave us wanting more. A perfectly tied up happy ending, wouldn't work with Farscape. Hopefully another network, a feature film, or even ADV's idea for a animated series will come to pass. I'm hoping for another network, though chances are slim. Sci-Fi retaining rights to the previous four, is going to make it hard. There's always hope though.

http://www.farscapeworld.com/episodes/synopsis/10422.shtml
http://www.farscapeworld.com/episodes/reviews/10422.shtml
http://www.farscapeworld.com/gallery/10422.shtml

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

James Boba Fettfield
03-17-2003, 03:23 AM
I just saw a commercial for that on Sci-Fi. Wow.

JediTricks
03-18-2003, 02:42 AM
I thought USA has owned SFC for quite a while, they may have even started it, I'm not sure. They changed management about 18 months ago and it all went downhill from there. This is not a good thing the way they trashed this series, and the way they handled it reminds me too much of how NBC killed Trek and then sabotaged it so when another network wanted to buy it, NBC had already destroyed the sets to keep it from happening.

Beast
03-18-2003, 03:26 AM
Agreed JT. I thought it was pretty dirty how Sci Fi actually told the cast and crew there wouldn't be a fifth season at the very end of filming for season four. And then told them sets would be destroyed and torn down, a week later. Giving the cast and crew no chance for a proper farewell.

And the real reason it was done, to ensure the fans wouldn't have a decent chnace to get things together for a campaign to try to save it. And for what? Now Sci Fi is investing the money that could have went to Farscape, to finance Tremors: The Series. Seriously, was anyone begging for more Tremors? :rolleyes: :p

I've happy that they are still doing things like "Children of Dune" and "Riverworld". But Farscape was normally their top rated show. The cast and crew were willing to work for less, they just wanted to finish off the story arc. Sci Fi channel sure has gone to hell, since the days of being great. :(

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

12inch Lando
03-18-2003, 03:38 AM
This has been a heck of a year for my Sci-Fi tv. Losing Firefly on FOX after only 10 episodes and now Farscape, really sucks. It drives me crazy how they greenlight total crap and totally disregard fantastic television. Thanks Bonnie Hamner, you lying sack of ****.

JediTricks
03-18-2003, 11:48 PM
I especially "loved" how SFC tried to tear down the sets on the anniversary of September 11th just to make sure everybody was distracted. Man, they are such lowlife suits!

Riverworld and CoD were probably both paid for by the time SFC decided they wanted out of the sci-fi game which is why they're hitting so close together. Basically a final liquidation sale, EVERYTHING MUST GO!!! Jerks, what a betrayal of their core mission.

Beast
03-18-2003, 11:56 PM
Yeah, I know. That was extremely low class of them. I could understand if Farscape suddenly took a huge nosedive, and the actors and crew were being primadonas. But I've never seen any proof of that from the interviews I've read. It's just shows the Sci-Fi channel's incredible disrespect for the Sci-Fi fans.

Atleast the Jim Henson Company wants to do more for the fans. And so does ADV Films, the company that puts the show on DVD. They are considering financing a animated series. That's cool, I wish Sci-Fi cared as much. Hell, just look at The Jim Henson Company's press release on the series cancellation. :(

Farscape is a flagship show for The Jim Henson Company. We are proud of its achievements over the past four years, which have included international critical recognition, three Saturn Awards, and a recent Emmy nomination. As always, your show of support is a true inspiration for our company and has been integral to our success.

Although SCI FI Channel has chosen not to pick up a fifth season, The Jim Henson Company is in active development on a new Farscape film, an anime project and is currently discussing syndication of this highly acclaimed series. We are eager to move forward with the Farscape creative team in developing new projects that will resonate with our overwhelmingly loyal fan base.
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

12inch Lando
03-19-2003, 03:00 AM
Is there any chance at all for syndication? I know the sets are gone but the main sets all concern Moya. This show and it's writers are so creative that I'm sure they could get through at least the first part of a season 5 without Moya. How much of the last 2 seasons were on Moya? I'm sure that I'm wrong now that I think about it. A ton of scenes were probablly redresses of those sets but there has got to be a way around it. Throw in some Lucasfilm craptastic virtua sets. These actors have the skills to make it work. I'm just reaching I guess.

Beast
03-19-2003, 03:28 AM
There's always a chance, but Sci-Fi is making it difficult. They retain the rights to the first four seasons, and have stated that they have no plans to release those rights to someone else. So whatever network took the risk, would not get the benefit of the past 4 seasons to show. That doesn't mean it won't happen though, just makes the chances slim.

Moya was a focus of the show, but not a huge one. And with the way the last episode ends, they could leave her out for a bit while they rebuild her. Or start havin ILM or another company render the sets in CGI. They have mentioned that as a possibility for Season 5, if it should happen. I just hope somthing happens, a theatrical movie, animated series, new series, anything. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

wedgeA
03-19-2003, 05:15 AM
Sorry to say that I have never seen the show, so forgive my question. What is the general opinion on why SciFi has treated the show so poorly? From what I have read here, it seems that the network had almost a disdain for the show. Is it some type of internal network politics?

It seems like a stretch that SciFi would do these things just because they want to "diversify" their programming, or some other corporate excuse. They seemed to try their best to make sure the show stays dead.

JediTricks
03-19-2003, 09:15 PM
IIRC, a few years ago, SFC (Sci-Fi Channel) took over airing the Fox sci-fi show "Sliders" that had been on Fox for 3 years. During SFC's 2nd original season (season 5), they lost the star of the series and replaced him with another actor - causing them to believe that ratings would go down, so they cancelled the show and invested the money that would have gone into Slider's 6th season towards an untested, muppet-based sci-fi series "Farscape". Farscape picked up viewers fairly quickly after it premiered but to SFC's shock, Sliders had actually GAINED viewers rather than losing them. Faithful viewers gave SFC an earful about their show being cancelled for - as I once heard it described - "this muppety crap", but Farscape had already been signed to a full season and ratings were doing well for it. SFC said Sliders might have a possible 6th season a year later if they can scrape up money, but that never happened.

Not long after this, less than a year and a half, SFC had a management change - USA still owned 'em, but they brought in new folks to run the channel differently. At first, this new management promised to be more understanding of the audiences' needs and nurturing of developing shows; they even produced several popular new series while signing current SFC shows Lexx and Farscape to more years beyond the following season. However, when one of the SFC original shows was in threat of being cancelled (I think it was Lexx or Invisible Man), news surfaced that SFC's parent company USA Networks wanted to throw out the entire sci-fi theme of the channel and use the existing channel to make "The Action Network", basically recycling USA's action film library and creating a handful of cheap, original, expendable action shows. SFC assured everybody that this was not the case... Then the cancelled Lexx after even paying for part of another season they were contractually obligated to; they followed this by cancelling series after series until the only SFC original show left was Farscape.

Farscape has some great action, but is most definitely more sci-fi than anything else. This obviously wouldn't fit in with the Action Network concept well - SFC made promises they didn't keep specifically to get the very vocal and growing fan base from pulling a "3rd season of Star Trek" (FYI, NBC cancelled the original Trek after season 2 in the late '60s which meant they didn't have enough episodes to sell into rerun syndication; a major fan of the series - Bjo Trumble - started a campaign to organized other fans to write-in to NBC with "Save Trek" letters. NBC was flooded with letters and calls on their switchboard and brought Trek back for 1 last season which got it over the rerun-syndication hump and kept the series alive in the '70s).

Dr Zoltar
03-20-2003, 03:17 PM
JediTricks,

You struck a nerve there with me. I loved Sliders -- At least the first 2 1/2 seasons. The episodes used to be about how an event would change the history of the world they were visiting. And about how they would fit in until their next slide. After John Rhyes-Davies left, the show quickly became "how much sci-fi stuff can we cram in an episode" instead of just how weird alternate universes could be.

I also became addicted to The Invisible Man. I didn't like it at first, but it grew on me. It was a nice original concept done well.

I won't go on to say how wonderful and original Farscape was at the beginning. This show redefined the sci-fi genre.

Now we get the likes of Tracker and Tremors: The Series. I lasted one episode of Tracker -- it's bad, REALLY bad. I even like the actor who plays the main baddie, but the show stinks on ice.

wedgeA
03-20-2003, 06:28 PM
JT,

Thanks for the info, very interesting. Yeah, Scifi used to be great a few years ago, reruns of Star Trek, Quantum Leap, Battlestar Galactica.

It seems they really screwed up their original programming, not really giving their shows a chance. Funny since parent company USA has had success with theirs, ie Monk, Dead Zone, Pacific Blue, Silk Stalkings (laugh at the last two, but they did last).

As for going the "Action Channel" route, it looks like that is on hold for now, at least with the new Battlestar Galactica, etc. I hope anyway.

JediTricks
03-21-2003, 04:12 AM
I bet Battlestar Galactica will be their last big-budget sci-fi series (mini or full).

Zoltar, I know what you mean with Sliders, so many good ideas until they took out the prof and brought in Kari Wuhrer.

I liked I-man from the beginning, something about the way the cast clicked just got me hooked. I was so sorry to see it go, and then Lexx and The Chronicle, it was so sad.

I had heard Tracker was a syndicated show and wasn't a SFC original. Either way, the promos were so bad that they couldn't hook me in to simply set my VCR to tape for an extra hour. ;)

wedgeA, I agree that USA has been doing some good original series, though I never cared for the last 2. I just hope Monk comes back soon, we get lots of new DZs but it's been a while since a new ep with our favorite defective detective came around the bend. I was shocked when Monk was deemed so good that ABC picked it up and was running it as primetime programming.

JediTricks
03-22-2003, 01:58 AM
** SPOILERS AHOY! **

Wow, what a depressing ending. I'm sure they could reconstitute John and Aeryn a la the '60s Batman movie, but knowing that SFC won't bother letting them it's a downer for me. Then again, why Dargo didn't just send his ship out to defend them struck me as a little odd, though much less than SFC's title card at the end. Nice way to send it out jerkfaces, slap those big ugly on-screen graphics all over the screen after every break for "Scare Tactics" (aka "the show nobody gives a crap about and has nothing to do with sci-fi"), then hog the end title card for yourselves and then let the real credits get obliterated by the mega-squish. With SG1 out until next June, I may just boycott the station altogether.

Farewell Farscape, may your future brighten with time.

12inch Lando
03-22-2003, 06:35 AM
I haven't seen the final show yet but I plan to watch it this morning. I found an interesting news paragraph in yesterday’s Atlanta Journal-Constitution business section that may offer a little hope that this show might be saved in some way.

Muppets seen as fit for Disney

Denver-- Walt Disney Co., the second largest U.S. media company, would be better equipped to distribute the Muppets than their current owner, Germany's EM.TV & Merchandising AG, analysts said. Disney Chief Executive Officer Michael Eisner said Wednesday his company may be close to buying Jim Henson Co. from unprofitable children's filmmaker EM.TV. Jim Henson, the creator of Kermit the Frog and Miss Piggy, died in 1990. "It would make sense because Disney is an international brand, and with its television channels has more possibilities than EM.TV to distribute the Muppets," said Marcus Moser, an analyst at GBC in Augsburg, Germany. EM.TV CEO Werner Klatten is selling assets, including the Muppets, to cut debt amassed under former CEO Thomas Haffa.

Does anybody think that this might help at all?

JediTricks
03-23-2003, 06:58 PM
Not really, Hallmark Entertainment and SFC hold a lot of power over the show as I understand it.

Patient Zero
03-24-2003, 10:44 AM
I just can not believe that way that it ended on Friday. I was expecting the crew to all get lost in space (even more so) and just go on traveling, but this! This felt like a kick to the head. I was just sitting there with a dumb look on my face (different from the normal one that is usually there). I hope that there is some continuation of this or some sort of better closure in some way or form, but unfortunetly I doubt it.

Beast
03-24-2003, 03:54 PM
I know Jonna, but in a way it was a proper ending. John can never stay happy long, before somthing comes along and screws things. I actually think it was brave of the Farscape gang to stick to their guns and not try to cheat a sappy happy ending for the series finale. And with a planned theatrical movie, possible new TV series, or animated series on the horizon, hopefully it won't be to long before we can found out what's going to happen. :)

MTFBWy and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Patient Zero
03-24-2003, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
with a planned theatrical movie, possible new TV series, or animated series on the horizon, hopefully it won't be to long before we can found out what's going to happen. :)

Has any of this been offically confirmed? Where can I read about it?

Beast
03-24-2003, 06:11 PM
Nothing is officially confirmed, it's mostly just talk at the moment. The cast and crew of Farscape all want to do a feature film. They are also still attempting to find a network that might take the risk on a 5th season. And ADV Films, the company that puts the episodes out on DVD, is looking into creating a Farscape Anime series. I'm not sure where to direct you for info though. :(

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Patient Zero
05-02-2003, 05:17 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAH!!!!!

Eat this you jerks at Scifi!

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/cgi/gofuton.cgi?action=newswire&id=5912

Dr Zoltar
05-02-2003, 08:26 PM
That is too funny! I really wonder what the average IQ is of the people who decide what shows get to air. I mean did they really expect Tremors the series to do well?

JediTricks
05-03-2003, 06:26 AM
They'd be better off just airing a test pattern. What a joke! And poor Cleo 2525, nobody expected much from that show even upon first airings, yet the programming clowns at SFC felt they could use that as the glue to hold their sagging Friday lineup together... why?!?

Beast
05-03-2003, 06:40 AM
And to think, that was good money down the toilet that could have helped finance a 5th/Final season of Farscape. Such a pity that Sci-Fi yanked their support of the show, because they thought it was to high-brow and intelligent for the "average sci-fi fans". :stupid: :p

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks