PDA

View Full Version : President Bush to declare War on iraq at 8pm tonight?

The Overlord Returns
03-17-2003, 10:31 AM
Well......possibly. However, it's a definite that he will demand Hussein and his immediate family leave Iraq, or face war:

http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/meast/03/17/sprj.irq.main/index.html

Seeing as the big Stilla vs. Clint thread seems a little unwieldy...I figured this was interesting news with which to start a new thread up.

I suppose the time to debate the just nature of this conflict is over......question now is will it be short...or will an urban conflict make this far trickier than gulf war 1?

Jedi_Master_Guyute
03-17-2003, 10:42 AM
Yup, i'll be watching this tonight...should be interesting to see if maybe something happened to avoid war or if it's truly inevitable...

Kidhuman
03-17-2003, 10:42 AM
I dunno. They said they will drop more bombs in 24 hours than the first Gulf War. I have mixed emotions on this war. I think his reasoning is good. He gave him enough time to do what he was asked. He has 18 U.N. violations and a another chance is ridiculous. I don't like the idea of war but sometimes it needs to be done.

mabudonicus
03-17-2003, 11:00 AM
I was pretty surprised at how the tone changed over the weekend (in the mainstream, at least), saying how just about every American had now been convinced, and reluctantly acceptedt the fact that Saddam did need to be ousted by force..
The most shocking revelation this weekend, for me, was how many times a professional journalist could shockingly mispronounce "AZORES" ... man, EVERYONE was trying different spins on "Ay- Zoars" , never even an attempt at shortening out the opening "A" ... it was especially funny since the summit was being put up as sort of the last piece of the puzzle... why couldn't it have been madrid or somewhere the press can at least pronounce without making me laugh.... I can't even remember what they were saying hardly...
Yeah, 8 o clock sounds about right... the last one started while I was watching Jeopardy, wouldn't want to repeat THAT mistake....
I'm not trying to be smug (not too smug, anyways) but I am in fundamental disagreement with the "for" arguements on this "war", and am also not impressed with the handling of it by either the media or the government of the US..... I see it making a lot of things a lot worse... we'll see, I guess

The Overlord Returns
03-17-2003, 11:05 AM
You know what is interesting........

Guess which country on the Security Council has used it's veto power more than any other in the last 30 years....

Come on...guess.... ;)

EricRG
03-17-2003, 11:09 AM
Bush can go to hell.

And he will, if he is a true Christian.

Exhaust Port
03-17-2003, 11:47 AM
The only times I remember a president giving a speech in times like these are after a strike had been already made. ie Libya and Desert Storm.

The Overlord Returns
03-17-2003, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by EricRG
Bush can go to hell.

If hell does exist, I am pretty sure ALL politicians end up there ;)

Exhaust Port
03-17-2003, 12:33 PM
They'll never make it in, the passage is blocked up with a glut of lawyers. :)

Jargo
03-17-2003, 02:39 PM
Oh Mr. Blair and Mr. Bush, what have you gone and done? A war you say? Well now that is silly. I hope you're going to clean the place up after you've finished, put away all your toys and leave the place as you found it. If not then i'm afraid you can go right to your rooms this instant and not come down until suppertime. And there'll be no dessert for naughty warmongers either so you can wipe that stupid smirk off your face mister! Now get this messy resolution tidied away before you cause someone to slip up and reveal the backroom secrets that lead us all to oblivion.

darthvyn
03-17-2003, 03:06 PM
well, if you're gonna talk to them like that, you gotta use the full names, it's more authoritarian than just "mr. bush" - GEORGE HERBERT WALKER BUSH! get in here right this minute and clean up your room!

and such.

Jargo
03-17-2003, 03:15 PM
No the British way is formal. There's no need to use the whole name unless you're the parent of a child. As a stern 'housemaster' figure it's more seemly to use the surname a la Eton public school. Kings of England have been referred to as Mr. Windsor there. It's more authoritarian to not use the personal christian name and therefore deny a form of identity. Using the surname only reduces a person to a simple statistic in essence.

However, I'm mopre inclined to refer to them both as OI! YOU - SH**HEAD!!! :D

darthvyn
03-17-2003, 03:19 PM
i see... over here, the longer it takes for mom to say your name, the more in trouble you are.

i do like where you're going with their new names...

The Overlord Returns
03-17-2003, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by darthvyn
well, if you're gonna talk to them like that, you gotta use the full names, it's more authoritarian than just "mr. bush" - GEORGE HERBERT WALKER BUSH! get in here right this minute and clean up your room!

and such.

Waitaminute...why are we yelling at dubya's dad?

I mean, besides the inherent fun factor? ;)

darthvyn
03-17-2003, 03:28 PM
'cuz he's the one who's REALLY making us go to war... ;)

LET THE ARGUEMENT COMMENCE!!!

but really, isn't our current puppet I MEAN president a junior? so his full name is the same as his father's, right?

Jargo
03-17-2003, 03:29 PM
Im' noticing the sig line...

Well I get the long winded version from my Mother where she runs through every name of every family member until she can remember which one she's screaming at. "PE-CHRIS-BAR-TON-DAV-ANDREW!!!!! Which adds insult to injury being just some name in a chain, sort of an amalgam person in her mind not important enough for her to remember correctly. That really puts you in your place. " I am nobody, I am just lint in the ointment, I am in deep poo...." sort of thing. Mothers find ways to make you feel so small. Maybe we should elect politicians Mothers into government instead. They'd sort out the world no bother just -BECAUSE! Mother logic works every time. :crazed:

darthvyn
03-17-2003, 03:33 PM
yeah, i don't have that big a family, so my mom never did that with me, but she does call our dog my brother's name all the time for some reason...

what sig line? :confused: :cry: :crazed: :kiss: :greedy:

The Overlord Returns
03-17-2003, 03:34 PM
'cuz he's the one who's REALLY making us go to war... ;)

LET THE ARGUEMENT COMMENCE!!!

but really, isn't our current puppet I MEAN president a junior? so his full name is the same as his father's, right?

I don't think he has the "herbert" for a middle name....

heheh...puppet. ;)

Emperor Howdy
03-17-2003, 04:45 PM
Bush can go to hell.

Ok, JediTricks. This is your call. I am respecting your request that these "debates" remain as impersonal and friendly as possible. I'm even writing an email to SirSteve to intervene in this matter. I will NOT, however, stand by and listen to these offensive comments (especially like the one above about my President) while anything I say is condemned and followed by threats of suspension (and rightfully so...it's your responsibility to keep things under control) Nevertheless, I will gladly accept suspension and respond to threads like this as I deem fit if action is not taken. You said it yourself, war is not a joke. This entire situation is not funny.

Shut this "hilarious" thread down. :mad:

The Overlord Returns
03-17-2003, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by Emperor Howdy

Shut this "hilarious" thread down. :mad:

Hey...don't have them shut my thread down because of ONE comment Eric made....

Damn howdy...underneath it all..I thought you loved me ;)

darthvyn
03-17-2003, 05:07 PM
i've stayed out of all this for almost the entire thing, because i felt that everyone would come to their senses and we wouldn't go to war, but with tonight's impending ultimatum, it appears debate is out the window. it's a done deal. we ARE going to war, and the only thing i can do now to keep myself sane is laugh, so that's what i'll do.

sorry if i offended anyone with my thoughts (not sure if i'm being called out as one of the offenders) but that's all they are, and it appears the don't amount to crap anyway, as the juggernaut can't be stopped now.

war is not a joke. but the false diplomacy of the last month and a half has been. at least the punchline is being told tonight.

Emperor Howdy
03-17-2003, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by The Overlord Returns
Hey...don't have them shut my thread down because of ONE comment Eric made....

Damn howdy...underneath it all..I thought you loved me ;)

You know I do, brother! :)

It's just that.....as darthvyn points out....whether you support it or not....we're about to put this thing into action. There's going to be a lot of U.S. and allied soldiers, as well as many Iraqi citizens put in harm's way veeery soon. It's time to stand behind them and put a cap on the verbal bull**** and cheapshots at the U.S. I'm over it. Everyone here at SirSteve's knows where each member stands on this conflict. Super. Move along. I think threads like these should be temporarily removed until future notice. Now is a time for thoughts, prayers, and words of support for our armed services, not negative comments about Bush, Blair, the United States, the U.K., France, or whoever is to blame for this war (since blaming Saddam is out of the question for many of you Einsteins. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ) Great, now I'm doing it again. :rolleyes: Oh well, the fact of the matter is: I don't want to get booted off SSG, but I will not sit back and listen to anti-American sentiment from any of you. Especially that slimebag ******, period.

Jargo
03-17-2003, 06:14 PM
Blaming saddam for what though? until a few months ago there was nothing going on in that neck of the woods. Attention only turned that way when the original hunt went cold and bush needed to avoid looking like he had egg on his face.

thoughts prayers and words of support? The majority of the thinking world doesn't want any soldiers anywhere near Iraq let alone fighting there and blasting unholy **** out of the citizens and towns and getting unholy **** blasted right back at them. Support for the soldiers is going to be a short commodity believe you me. Y'know they just go where they're told and do what they're told, i find it hard to respect a mind that follows blindly. We have the most insane world leaders taking us into a war no-one wants and you want us to stop knocking the Bush? Blair and Bush are totally insane, they are going to be responsible for thousands upo thousands of deaths and you want me to stop knocking him? Sorry pal think again. As long as this ridiculous situation in the gulf continues i'll carry on ragging on bush and blair and anyone else involved. If that means people start hitting the ignore button, then fine, if it means i get banned, fine. There are plenty of other sites. this is exactly what i was opposed to with the shuttle, the over-sentimentalisation of world events. it hasn't even started and already the schmaltz has begun. thoughts and prayers my ***. pull the armies out.

QLD
03-17-2003, 06:28 PM
Yeah, I was going to respond to Eric's comments, but I decided I didn't want to get suspended yet.

Fulit
03-17-2003, 06:35 PM
In 100 hours, when the war is over, we own a bunch of oil, and a company linked to Cheney is rebuilding Iraq's oil rigs, (true), a puppet democracy is installed (I heard Gen. Franks will head Iraq for a little while, weird), and gas is 50 cents a gallon, all the fickle, misinformed, well-intentioned, but noodle-brained protestors will have to find a new cause to ***** about. And with Dubya in office, it won't be long.

Who's running in 2004 again?

darthvyn
03-17-2003, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by Fulit
...and gas is 50 cents a gallon...

cheney and dubya and all their friends didn't get rich by charging one third the price of gas... they will drop it by about 20 cents, if that much, cuz it's all about making money. they know we're okay with paying so much already, do you really think they will cut the prices?

EricRG
03-17-2003, 07:45 PM
1) The whole "hell debate" lasted weeks here. What is wrong with saying that a person that I disagree with can go there? If it's what he believes in, "Thou shalt not kill" is pretty straightforward, no? I myself, don't believe in hell, so it means little to me other than the popular vernacular meaning, which is the equivalent of he can go jump off a dock. ps - I wasn't trying to be funny. I'm angry!

2) War IS serious. Seems to me the one not taking it as serious as he should is Bush.

3) I DID find it funny that the Iraqi officials retorted with, no, Bush, YOU should leave office. I second the motion.

Fulit
03-17-2003, 08:44 PM
cheney and dubya and all their friends didn't get rich by charging one third the price of gas... they will drop it by about 20 cents, if that much, cuz it's all about making money. they know we're okay with paying so much already, do you really think they will cut the prices?

They might, but not by that much, I tend to grossly exaggerate for dramatic effect.

Fulit
03-17-2003, 08:55 PM
Well, the Iraq citizens that survive will at least not have to live with this anymore.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,3284-614607,00.html

It's going to happen. Get over it and move on, and vote Democrat, or better yet, Independant in the next election. And hope this Gulf War does as much for Bush's popularity as the first one did for his dad's. Election's just a year and a half away........I wonder how many loudmouthed protestors vote?

EricRG
03-17-2003, 09:06 PM
Wonder no longer.:rolleyes:

Vote Nader in 2004. (As I did in the last 2 elections.)

Fulit
03-17-2003, 09:19 PM
Wouldn't it be funny if him and his sons did leave? And Bush had to fumble to come up with a good reason to invade anyway?

Emperor Howdy
03-17-2003, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by EMPEROR JARGO
Blaming saddam for what though? until a few months ago there was nothing going on in that neck of the woods. Attention only turned that way when the original hunt went cold and bush needed to avoid looking like he had egg on his face.

thoughts prayers and words of support? The majority of the thinking world doesn't want any soldiers anywhere near Iraq let alone fighting there and blasting unholy **** out of the citizens and towns and getting unholy **** blasted right back at them. Support for the soldiers is going to be a short commodity believe you me. Y'know they just go where they're told and do what they're told, i find it hard to respect a mind that follows blindly. We have the most insane world leaders taking us into a war no-one wants and you want us to stop knocking the Bush? Blair and Bush are totally insane, they are going to be responsible for thousands upo thousands of deaths and you want me to stop knocking him? Sorry pal think again. As long as this ridiculous situation in the gulf continues i'll carry on ragging on bush and blair and anyone else involved. If that means people start hitting the ignore button, then fine, if it means i get banned, fine. There are plenty of other sites. this is exactly what i was opposed to with the shuttle, the over-sentimentalisation of world events. it hasn't even started and already the schmaltz has begun. thoughts and prayers my ***. pull the armies out.

Jargo, I have to respectfully disagree. There has always been something going on in that neck of the woods. The thinking world knows the atrocities committed by Saddam, yet Bush and Blair are the insane ones? Everyone knows France and Russia's blatant, shameful reasons for a thumbs-down to war, yet the U.S. has a hidden agenda? We have sat back, working with the U.N., sending in inspectors, doing everything we can for 12 years, but we should give it more time?!?

**Yes, Ladies and Gentlemen.....today was supposed to be the execution of Jeffery Dahmer. Oh, you know the guy....he dismembered homosexuals after molesting their dead bodies right before dumping their remains in acid vats. But HEY!!! We're seeing signs of remorse and change, people! He's actually destroying the skulls in his refrigerator!! He's showing the police where MORE bodies are that the police never found!!! My God, I believe he's a changed man!! So the execution's off!! We believe he should run free in society again! To hell with the families of the victims. That was "yesterday's" Jeff, silly. This is the NEW happy, sane, sensitive, honest Jeff. Let's all rejoice and hug. :rolleyes: **

Anyway, I respect your opinion. I just don't see it that way. And yes...my thoughts and prayers DO go out to the soldiers...because they're not going anywhere until Saddam is history.

Anyway...moving along....perhaps many of you remember (or would like to forget) the previous administration that attacked Iraq 5 years ago for relatively the exact same thing. Oh, but it was ok then. That was a "legitimate" assault on the potential nuclear, chemical, and biological threat that Hussein posed. Bush, on the other hand? Well, it has nothing to do with finally eliminating that disease Iraq calls a President....oh no, it's aaaaaaaaall about oil. Jesus, and you call me naive. It doesn't matter though. Like I've said over and over again. Gripe all you want. The protests of a few thousand impotent yellow-bellies don't speak for the millions of people that inhabit this Earth.

Jargo
03-17-2003, 09:36 PM
regardless of pro or against any war and taking a step outside all of the camps that's a very convenient timescale to be suddenly revealing witness testimony like that. If all this apparent evidence could have been garnered then why not before. Why wait until the most convenient time when it is guaranteed a circus audience and kneejerk reaction - why precisely for those reasons. horror stories to spook the hard of thinking into backing the cause. propaganda. there is no other word for it. A large pinch of salt should be taken with any such story. They have such stories over there about America and britain no doubt. Simply propaganda. effective but propaganda just the same as was used in the last war and all wars before that. The American military is fond of making up stories to justify it's actions and hide its secrets. Vietnam is testament to that. Korea is testament to that. but then the same is true of the british military in it's conflicts. During the Falklands war the British military was just as brutal in many ways to the Argentinians. The british military would have us forget about their own prisoner of war camps during WWII and the falklands war. The iraqi way of life is different to the western way of life, crime and punishment are more severe but that's how it has been for centuries just the same as on the indian subcontinent where brutal punishment is comonplace, just the same in China where brutal punishment is commonplace. To single Iraq out in this way is petty and purile and makes the author of the article seem without credibility. All of these wads of evidence that have miraculously turned up recently to justify the claim that war is needed are just way too convenient and way too comprehensive and cohesive as far as evidentiary material goes. These witness reports are too lucid and too extensive. It's made up stuff for the sake of having it. This nonsense about saddams son watching and ordering people put into a mulching machine is just too astonishing and horrendous. how convenient that it names Saddams son. because we must all be aware of what a horrible monster Saddam himself is, he eats babies of course and plays polo with puppy dog heads. he steals candy from disabled kids and kicks the sticks from under old people. He drives a car with spikes on the wheels and randomly tazors people for kicks. I mean are we really supposed to buy this crap. I accept that his regime is hard and that life in Iraq is somewhat archaic and that crime and punishment over there is also archaic. That if you invade their country they will turn nasty. This report and others similar are just too far fetched. I'm sorry but I cannot find it in me to even lend this dung credence. I support neither britain, America or iraq in this matter but sometimes I have to laugh out loud at how petty some of these attempts to sway public opinion are.

Yellow belly? I hardly think so. What is yellow bellied is just accepting whatever the administration says. Rolling over and taking it prone. So actually having a belief and standing up for that is yellow bellied? respectfully i have to beg to differ too. Call me a wet liberal if you wish, call me whatever expletive falls from your lips. But yellow bellied I am not. You are dead right that this war is all about the money. If britain were not in debt to the tune of billions and so reliant on American business for economic stability then there would be no coalition armed force effort. America has britain by the scrotum and that is the only reason britain is involved. But have you seen what our armed forces consists of? spotty seventeen year olds without any real training. Britain has no real army, it's a toy army. worthless. because of the Bush's Snr and Jnr our teens are going to die. pure and simple. goodbye british youths.
cannon fodder is all they are and the American government and military does that so well. A human shield of their own. You can talk about Saddams human shield if you want but the british troops are what America will use for sure in just the same way. Our equipment doesn't even work, the guns jam, the trucks are all out of date and don't work. Artillery is old and temperamental. No money has been put into the british military since the falklands war so why the hell are we even out there when there's not a snowballs chance in hell that the british troops will be of any use. It's just a ruse. Human shield. Expendable. cannon fodder.
Doesn't matter which way i look at this it all looks rotten.

Emperor Howdy
03-17-2003, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by EMPEROR JARGO
The iraqi way of life is different to the western way of life, crime and punishment are more severe but that's how it has been for centuries just the same as on the indian subcontinent where brutal punishment is comonplace, just the same in China where brutal punishment is commonplace. To single Iraq out in this way is petty and purile and makes the author of the article seem without credibility.

True.

because we must all be aware of what a horrible monster Saddam himself is, he eats babies of course and plays polo with puppy dog heads. he steals candy from disabled kids and kicks the sticks from under old people. He drives a car with spikes on the wheels and randomly tazors people for kicks. I mean are we really supposed to buy this crap.

Also true, but that's not why we're taking him out.

I wonder how many loudmouthed protestors vote?

Indeed, Fulit.

Figured I'd get my licks in beforre I'm suspended.

It's a shame you had time, punk. That's all you do is come here to start a bunch of ****. Your anti-American attitude is pathetic and embarrassing. Please Eric...I beg you....leave the United States....I will personally finance your trip....it will be my absolute pleasure. You are a pitiful waste of skin.

derek
03-17-2003, 10:31 PM
Wouldn't it be funny if him and his sons did leave? And Bush had to fumble to come up with a good reason to invade anyway?

in his speech tonight bush said that we are invading regardless of what saddam does. the only difference will be what kind of invasion it will be. if saddam stays and fights, he'll get a war. if he leaves, the US military will stroll into iraq and disarm the country without firing a shot.:)

stillakid
03-17-2003, 10:54 PM
If the President started, say, a massacre of nothing but little orphan kids somewhere in the world, would we all be required to "get behind him" just because it's the "American thing to do"?

That line of reasoning is one of the most un-American things I've heard in a long time. Protest is what took us our of Vietnam. Similar acts of "un-American" thinking discovered what Nixon was doing.

Get off the Republican-bandwagon and grow up. War is serious and the reasons should be as well. There's no denying that A) there is no proof whatsoever of Bush's claims of WMD in Iraq and B) that a great deal of the post war oil contracts have already been dealt to companies that Dick Cheney is/was involved in.

Should Hussein go? Heck yeah! Slime like him don't deserve another breath, but Bush and Co. are going about it all wrong and for the wrong reasons.

LTBasker
03-17-2003, 11:07 PM
Frankly I think he should've just sent in Special Forces, assassinated Saddam and then put up the warning to give up in 48 hours or else. Yeah, it's a cold thing to do, but it's what Big Daddy Bush should've done, and it would save possible casualties of war.

QLD
03-17-2003, 11:21 PM
Please Eric...I beg you....leave the United States....I will personally finance your trip....

I'll chip in to get you in first class. :D

DarthBrandon
03-17-2003, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by LTBasker
Frankly I think he should've just sent in Special Forces, assassinated Saddam and then put up the warning to give up in 48 hours or else. Yeah, it's a cold thing to do, but it's what Big Daddy Bush should've done, and it would save possible casualties of war.

I agree with you one hundred %.:D

Emperor Howdy
03-18-2003, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by stillakid
If the President started, say, a massacre of nothing but little orphan kids somewhere in the world, would we all be required to "get behind him" just because it's the "American thing to do"?

Umm.....huh? :confused: Who's saying that? :rolleyes: Are you comparing the disarmament of Saddam to a massacre of orphan kids!? THAT'S exactly the kind of statements that make protestors look ridiculous.

Originally posted by stillakid
....and grow up.

My thoughts exactly. Be a man and stand behind your country.

Should Hussein go? Heck yeah! Slime like him don't deserve another breath, but Bush and Co. are going about it all wrong and for the wrong reasons.

Enlighten me. What's the right way and the right reasons according to you?

Old Fossil
03-18-2003, 12:52 AM

It's a shame you had time, punk. That's all you do is come here to start a bunch of ****. Your anti-American attitude is pathetic and embarrassing. Please Eric...I beg you....leave the United States....I will personally finance your trip....it will be my absolute pleasure. You are a pitiful waste of skin. [/B]

Personal attacks, again??? Name-calling? Pathetic and embarrassing, indeed.

EricRG's comments above could only be construed as inflammatory by a brutish, immature, spiteful mind, one saturated in venom and devoid of any true empathy for persons of differing views. EricRG is entitled to his views; if you don't like them, start your own Forum, and let your mind wither there in the sea of vindication you seem to so desperately need.

Your comments are disgraceful, Emperor Howdy, worthy of the self-loathing bully of the school playground, or a participant at a Nuremberg Rally. Either way, the end result is the same for persons of your ilk: complete, perhaps catastrophic irrelevance, or borderline infamy.

EricRG
03-18-2003, 01:02 AM
I ain't leavin'. Ha.

I have to emphasize, I am NOT anti-American. That's silly as well as baseless. Just because I disagree with many of the current President's platforms, I am anti-American? If I were anti-American, I wouldn't vote, right? Yet just above I stated that I do vote. If I were anti-American, I don't think I'd waste my time debating a bunch of such hated Americans. About the extent of my anti-Americanism is the fact that I root for the Vancouver Canucks. (Big win over Dallas tonight.)

Let me put it this way: I LOVE THIS COUNTRY. Not only for what it is, but moreso for it's potential for what it could become. Just because we have the best system in the world, doesn't mean it couldn't use some improvement and DOES NOT give us free reign to do what we want. I want the USA to be different from Rome and the other great powers that withered. That will not happen by making new enemies at every turn.

And by the way, Howdy and QLD, I'm GLAD you are a part of the USA. Such diversity of opinions is what makes it great. As a matter of fact, I'd like to have the both of you over for tea. Is Thursday afternoon OK? We can discuss all the days previous events.

Emperor Howdy
03-18-2003, 01:12 AM
Originally posted by Twodot Tatooine
Personal attacks, again??? Name-calling? Pathetic and embarrassing, indeed.

EricRG's comments above could only be construed as inflammatory by a brutish, immature, spiteful mind, one saturated in venom and devoid of any true empathy for persons of differing views. EricRG is entitled to his views; if you don't like them, start your own Forum, and let your mind wither there in the sea of vindication you seem to so desperately need.

Your comments are disgraceful, Emperor Howdy, worthy of the self-loathing bully of the school playground, or a participant at a Nuremberg Rally. Either way, the end result is the same for persons of your ilk: complete, perhaps catastrophic irrelevance, or borderline infamy.

An eloquent speech, Twodot, but pointless. While you consider my direct words to EricRG as a "personal attack", I see as no different than the open and offensive comments he's made about the country I live in, the government I pay taxes to, the conflict I support, and the President I elected. Thats a personal attack at me. Whether you or anyone else sees it that way or not is irrelevant to me. Now, you might not like the way I express myself, Twodot, but "that's me" pal. I don't always see the world as butterflies and candycanes, and my words may reflect that. Though using a "fluffier" approach, all you did in your post was personally attack me, all the while condemning me for....umm....personal...attacks......errr....yeah . :rolleyes:

QLD
03-18-2003, 01:13 AM
Actually, Thursday would be great. I prefer Earl Grey with a lump of sugar. How about noonish?

EricRG
03-18-2003, 01:20 AM
Mmmmmm....Earl Grey. We could watch the NCAA tournament and whatever else is going on in the world.

But it'll be Darjeeling tea for me. With honey. How bout you Howdy? You want some honey???;)

JediTricks
03-18-2003, 01:24 AM
Ok, JediTricks. This is your call. I am respecting your request that these "debates" remain as impersonal and friendly as possible. I'm even writing an email to SirSteve to intervene in this matter. I will NOT, however, stand by and listen to these offensive comments (especially like the one above about my President) while anything I say is condemned and followed by threats of suspension (and rightfully so...it's your responsibility to keep things under control) Nevertheless, I will gladly accept suspension and respond to threads like this as I deem fit if action is not taken. You said it yourself, war is not a joke. This entire situation is not funny. I've read your suggestion above and deemed that you do not understand or do not care what I've been warning you about in the past - if it's the latter then you are trying to hijack this thread. If you want to discuss the issue, fine, but this is not what you have done in the past, you instead single out the person arguing the issue. Clearly based on your later posts in this thread - especially the shameful display in post 34 - you have no interest in following the rules and cannot separate your personal ego from public discussion. Just because someone's posts don't agree with your viewpoint doesn't mean that gives you the right to insult them and attack their character - that type of behavior is not welcome here.

Tonysmo
03-18-2003, 02:06 AM
We cant assassinate him, that would make him a martyr. ( we could do so very easily if we wanted to ) Even killing him outright like were about to do will make him one.

Regardless of what we do, not everyone will be happy. Whatís cool about that, is my Commander in Chief has a job to do, and worrying about making everyone happy is not in his job description. I fully support what he is about to do, and I fully support what my fellow brothers and sisters are about to do. I am thankful that even Australia is getting into this with us. They lost people because of these turds as well.. Iím glad this is finally about to come to a head. Iíd like to see them crush these guys. It will be nice to see our billion dollar planes, choppers, and tanks put to some good use. I will be off work for those days, and plopping my feet up with a bowl of popcorn while watching a war unfold .. thatís gonna be great. Thatís my right as a free American to watch other Americans go a liberate yet another country from a bunch of idiots who went to the extreme..
Yeah, what you read is propaganda.. whatever.. life in Iraq is all about chopping off hands for stealing, chopping off feet for running.. No one has ever disputed their way of life is somewhat harshÖ but trying to get someone to swim through a mulcher? Maybe we havenít heard reports like this until now is because they have been to scared to tell anyone for fear of their lives.. maybe to see something that horrible has left a scare that they wish not to discuss because of nightmares.. too many reasons.. doesnít matter anymore though, itís all about to change. I thought my Presidents speech was to the point, and somewhat moving. I also find it hard to believe he is excited about this. I really canít see him behind closed doors belly thumping with Cheny giving each other high fives Ė Whoo Hooo, we gottem now!!
Its called sacrifice, be it a Holy war, an Oil war, whatever you want to call it.. doesnít matter anymore.. 48 hours folks.. after that, stocks go back up, public opinions will change, companies from around the world will be put to work to fix up the damage, and the Iraqi people who arenít heard because of their oppressions will finally have a say, and some food.. It will be just like the gulf war. Where over half the so called troops will be extremely happy to turn in their weapons and their one little box of ammo. They donít want to fight, they are being made to fight, or to die if they donít. They will soon be liberated as well..
Iím still not sure whatís going to be more exciting, watching them pull Saddams lifeless body from the rubble, or watching all the BAD Americans who plan on creating havoc go to jail because they are trying to make a point Ė in which the general populace doesnít agree with.. Silent majority RULES!
I can understand Howdys frustration, but dude, from me to you.. Relax.. to quote the ROCK ( wwe ) ( unbelievable, to quote a wrestler in a forum on war ) ď IT JUST DOESNíT MATTER WHAT YOU THINK.. ď that my friend is the attitude we need to take against some of these folks.. There really is no reason to bicker and argue over who killed who.. ( a lil Monty Python )Ö seriously though.. some of the bickering is pointless, so why bother? Canít possibly be good for your nervesÖ chill brotha..
All in all, do/say what you must, our forefathers fought for that right Ė its your right as an American to do so. Pretty soon, hopefully those in the middle east will be able to do the same. God bless themÖ.
..48 hours..

EricRG
03-18-2003, 02:22 AM
Tonysmo,

The "general populace" you refer to...does that include just the US or the entire world? Because I'd venture to say that the general populace of the world would overwhelmingly be against war at this point.

"Bad Americans creating havoc". Shame on us. Make us go to our rooms. Who's creating havoc...the war protesters or the war mongers???

Tonysmo
03-18-2003, 02:41 AM
The war mongers are doing what they need to do to create a wonderful peaceful environment so we can all live in our special happy places and discuss current events from the comfort of our homes.. I support them to the fullest extent, and I have hopes that once were done with Iraq, and our troops start to come home, they make a surprise stop in North Korea, just to say HI, and to decimate them as well.. As for the protesters.. well.. I guess you cant say enough about our freedoms of speech, and the right to gather in large groups.. If only we could get them to sing that coca-cola song, instead of having them needlessly over turn cars and trash small businesses.. kinda moronic if you ask me, and thus serves no real purpose except to show what kinda of people these protestors really are.. Civil acts of disobedience? Isnít that an Oxy-moron?

EricRG
03-18-2003, 02:54 AM
"The war mongers are doing what they need to do to create a wonderful peaceful environment so we can all live in our special happy places and discuss current events from the comfort of our homes." That's hilarious. You were kidding, right???:rolleyes:

Tonysmo, you've obviously bought into the media's tired portrayal of people who protest war as punks who cause violence. The fact of the matter is that at the FEW occasions where such actions take place, it has been shown time and time again that violent actions were not the intent of the organizers and that a few bad apples in a crowd (often there simply to cause trouble) can ruin an otherwise peaceful statement. Are you going to say that all sportsfans are also crazy violent lunatics just because of a few bad apples? Think about it.

"Civil acts of disobedience" is not an oxymoron. Just ask Martin Luther King, Jr. and Mohatma Ghandi. Do you know who those people were and what they accomplished? I suggest you hop on over to Google and find out.

Or you can join Fettfield, Howdy (tentatively) and myself on Thursday to discuss them over tea? Whaddya say? One lump or two?

Tonysmo
03-18-2003, 03:10 AM
Have you ever sat in the stands of a Raiders game? enough said..

once again, I cant say enough about the war protestors.. It's all good because your all free to do as you choose.. be it a few bad apples.. or the whole group.. doesnít matter.. It seriously doesnít matter.. If a few bad apples start causing trouble, kick them out... oh wait.. you cant do that if your a pacifist.. that would go against everything you work so hard to build up..

War is baaad.. We dont like to fight.. we dont want to fight.. we refuse to fight.. pacifist are great.. You can punch them in the face.. and when they get up, you can remind them they cant hit you back or face being a huge hypocrite, once they finally agree, hit em again.. then repeat... sooner or later they will all see the need to finally strike back..

Yeah, I know who those people are...

tell me though, will you be out there stopping traffic? locking yourself to a door somewhere? Wear your Sir Steves shirt so I know its you when you get arrested..

Tycho
03-18-2003, 03:32 AM
Well, well, well, what have we here?

1) This country was formed with the idea that all its citizens have rights, including the right to protest, or assemble against what the US government is doing at any given time.

2) It is not at all wrong to say you "support our troops" if what you mean is that you hope poor, young Americans are not critically injured as they go abroad, following orders that lead them into dangerous situations.

You can wear a yellow ribbon while you are still protesting the war.

3) I am not afraid of war.

I propose we arm our National Guard soldiers with loaves of bread, high school equivalency practice exam books, and cell phones pre-programmed to speed dial Child Protective Services and regional substance dependancy clinics, and then invade the following targets:

1) East L.A.

2) Oakland

3) Detroit

4) Harlem

5) Washington, D.C.

6) Chicago

7) Texas

8) The Jerry Springer Show

These foreign states are a direct threat to American interests, such as:

1) job mobility

2) family values

3) child safety

4) higher education enrollment

5) American competitiveness in a global market

6) marriage

7) chemical independence

8) low crime rates

These locations do not reflect the intentions of any recent Administration or Congress' policies and legislation to promote a better America for the future.

Now what was Iraq doing again? How is that different from anything that country has ever been doing since 1968 or earlier?

People are suffering just as much in the 8 or more priority targets I identified above. How come they are out of range for the current administration?

SirSteve
03-18-2003, 07:54 AM
Enough of all the arguing.

THREAD CLOSED