PDA

View Full Version : Rock & Roll Hall of fame

Arrogant Arse
03-17-2003, 12:28 PM
Did anyone watch the R&R Hall of Fame inductions on VH-1 yesterday? I thought it was somewhat cheesy and staged.

I mainly watched it to see The Police perform. I thought they did a very good job, but I wouldn't expect a reunion tour anytime soon. It was interesting to see Sting interact with the other two. Sometimes he looked bothered by being there with them, and other times he appeared to slightly enjoy it.

I had no interest in the Righteous Brothers or AC/DC some interest in The Clash, and a bit of interest in Elvis Costello.

James Boba Fettfield
03-17-2003, 12:33 PM
I watched it for AC/DC's performance. I enjoyed their part of the show, not much interest in the rest, though.

Rogue II
03-17-2003, 12:50 PM
I missed it. Hopefully VH-1 will re-run it a few times like they do everything else so I can at least catch AC/DC.

James Boba Fettfield
03-17-2003, 12:59 PM
http://www.vh1.com/shows/schedule/series_sched.jhtml?seriesID=10678

That lists the repeats of it.

Rogue II
03-17-2003, 01:12 PM
Thanks, dude. If you hadn't posted that, I'd have probably forgot to look for it. I see it is on tonight.

2-1B
03-17-2003, 01:14 PM
Aerosmith is my favorite band, with AC/DC being near the top too. :) Watching this was a must for me. :D
Steven Tyler is the greatest rock vocalist ever, but it sounded pretty funny to hear him singing with Brian Johnson . . . their voices do NOT blend well. :crazed:
It was still quite enjoyable to watch.

The Righteous Brothers are kinda cool, I like The Clash, but the Police have always bothered me. Well, I'm more disliking of Sting and his solo work, but Sting with The Police is still bad. :crazed:

El Chuxter
03-17-2003, 02:21 PM
I kept flipping to it to see Steve with AC-DC, and yet I somehow missed that part. I didn't care to see most of the show, partly because I think the Hall of Fame's induction process sucks, and partly because I hate Elvis Costello and find the Clash to be good but tremendously overrated. (I'd still take them over the Sex Pistols or any of the current batch of "punk" bands any day, though.)

Did Black Sabbath ever finally get voted in?

Kidhuman
03-17-2003, 02:22 PM
I think the Hall of Fame went to crap years ago. Some people aren't deserving to be in there but are. In years too come I know that there aren't many bands that deserve it but they will get in there anyway. Todays rock is 90% garbage. Just my 0.02

Exhaust Port
03-17-2003, 03:27 PM
It's more of a Music Hall of Fame than Rock and Roll. How can they ignore Black Sabbath?

El Chuxter
03-17-2003, 04:42 PM
They only let in five artists per year, and each nominee had to have released their first album 25 years earlier. So they're still getting people who should've been in in the first place (Righteous Brothers). Black Sabbath was nominated three or four times and never got in, so finally Ozzy said he'd refuse the honor if Black Sabbath ever actually got in. (Caesar or anyone else, correct me if I'm slightly off.)

2-1B
03-18-2003, 12:55 AM
Chux, that sounds about right to me. :)

I specifically recall Ozzy saying that they should just take Sabbath off the ballot list. He said it doesn't matter if they are there or not, since it's not chosen by the fans.
As for whether they would actually decline the invite . . . maybe. But I'm willing to bet that Sharon wouldn't let him pass it up. :D

I watched the AC/DC segment again today, wow. :happy:

Bel-Cam Jos
03-18-2003, 07:21 PM
I've been to the R&RHOF&M in beautiful, scenic Cleveland, and to see some of the bands of today mixed in with the classics of yesteryear would be odd. And it makes you feel old to realize that your favorite bands have been in the business for a quarter of a century already! :eek:
I wasn't aware of the 5-per-year limit. The first few years had many each year, since they had to go back about 30-40 years prior.