PDA

View Full Version : The Muppet Show

Rogue II
03-17-2003, 02:09 PM
We were at Target this weekend and I was looking through the DVDs. They had a series of DVDs with 3 episodes of The Muppet Show on each. Of course, I had to buy the DVD that had the episode where Luke, R2, C-3PO, and Chewbacca on it. Of course, I hadn't seen that episode since it aired waaaaaay back in the day.geez, I'm getting old

So, I popped it in and watched it with my daughter and I came up with these notes:

--Mark Hammil is a cheese ball.
--Anthony Daniels can tap-dance really well in that C-3PO costume. I was suprised he had that much mobility.
--Chewbacca was naked. He was missing his bandolier. (Chewbacca isn't that good of a dancer)

Anyway, the Paul Simon episode wasn't bad. I didn't finish watching the Raquel Welch episode...it was an interesting combo: "Stars of Star Wars," Paul Simon, and Raquel Welch.

Exhaust Port
03-17-2003, 04:25 PM
The Muppets was a great TV show. I wish it was shown on TV still.

Tonysmo
03-24-2003, 02:25 AM
agreed - please oh please bring back the muppets.. wholesome fun. something I can watch with my son.

I saw something today that disturbed me.. Spongebob.. while normally I can enjoy that show, they were talking about panty raids in an episode I saw today.. I know alot of cartoons put in things for the adults to giggle at, most being somewhat over the head of our children, but this wasnt.. I was kinda shocked.. hmmm.. sounds like a new thread...

JON9000
03-27-2003, 10:28 AM
Have you ever seen the one with Roger Moore? He pulls out the spy stuff at the very end. THere is also one where Shirley Bassey is the guest and sings Goldfinger. Can't remeber if she does it with the muppets singing backup or not.

Fulit
03-27-2003, 03:28 PM
The two old guys in the balcony, they were my favorite. Anyone remember their names?

DarthChuckMc
03-27-2003, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by Fulit
The two old guys in the balcony, they were my favorite. Anyone remember their names?

Waldorf and Statler I think

Arrogant Arse
03-27-2003, 03:50 PM
I bought two DVD's of the Muppet show. One has Gene Kelly, Elton John, and Julie Andrews. My son, age 2 & 1/2, LOVES watching Gene Kelly and Kermit dance. I'm glad I got the DVD's to replay the scene for him.
I wish that show was still on the air. It was brilliant how Jim Henson took adult things and made it for children. Like the Julie Andrews song about Goats from "Sound of Music" and adding muppets to interpret it. (Those of you who have seen Sound of Music, and the episode with Julie Andrews will know what I mean.)

I miss Jim Henson.

Deoxyribonucleic
03-27-2003, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by Tonysmo
agreed - please oh please bring back the muppets.. wholesome fun. something I can watch with my son.

I saw something today that disturbed me.. Spongebob.. while normally I can enjoy that show, they were talking about panty raids in an episode I saw today.. I know alot of cartoons put in things for the adults to giggle at, most being somewhat over the head of our children, but this wasnt.. I was kinda shocked.. hmmm.. sounds like a new thread...

HAHAHA I saw that one. Mr. Krabs ends up "panty raiding" his own mother's underwear drawer!

teeheehee :p

One of my fav episodes of the Muppet Show was when Blondie was on it. Man, she ROCKED!

and speaking of the Muppet Show, anyone remember Solid Gold???

NOOOOOOOOOOO!

:dead:

Rogue II
03-27-2003, 07:21 PM
Deoxyribonucleic, I've been trying to forget about Solid Gold since the early 80s. Why don't you bring up the Donnie and Marie Show or the Barbara Mandrell TV specials while you're at it.

Why did my mom make me watch those?
:cry:Why!?!?!?!:cry:

Ahem....

My daughter likes shows with puppets/muppets better than cartoons. I'm sure she would love to watch the Muppet Show if it came back.

Deoxyribonucleic
03-27-2003, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by Rogue II
the Donnie and Marie Show or the Barbara Mandrell TV specials

Now there's something "special" ;) :p

Originally posted by Rogue II

Deoxyribonucleic, I've been trying to forget about Solid Gold since the early 80s.

Sorry, sorry Rogue II, I just couldn't resist. :) All this muppet talk, I remember the muppets followed solid gold so I'd always catch the end of it, with the lovely Dion Warwick and later the lovely Marilyn McCoo, who graduated from my alma matter now that I think about it! :cool:

Bel-Cam Jos
03-27-2003, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by Tonysmo
The Muppets Tonight didn't work so well, ratings wise. I liked it sort of; it was in the post-Jim Henson days, so it had lost some of the charm from before. BTW, isn't there a Muppets thread in this TV section already? Or as Swedish Chef would say: morni inny unnah Muppah therny arny? ;)

Jayspawn
03-28-2003, 02:09 AM
Rogue II is right. The Mark Hamill episode is cheesy. But it's all in good fun. I remember Mark saying, "Remember Alderan! Down with the Empire!" and C-3PO with "Oh I sprained my cellenoids!" and of course "Oh no! Dirth Nader!"

Notes I made about the Mark Hamill "Star Wars" episode....

- The gun prop Mark Hamill used is not one used in the movies- its a cheap mock-up. And he doesn't have a lightsaber.
- Chewbacca didn't have his bandrolier either. I guess Lucasfilm didn't want to loan those props out.
- That wand-looking thing that Dirth Nader (Gonzo) uses to neutralize Luke's baster is a card holder from a floral arangement.
- Notice the Star Wars pictures on the walls of Scooter's room durring his solo.

JON9000
03-29-2003, 12:33 PM
Cheesy perhaps, but lightyears beyond the holiday special, according to legend

James Boba Fettfield
05-20-2005, 02:54 PM
Disney announces Season 1 DVD for The Muppet Show (http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=3430)

This is the biggest news I have to counter all the Episode 3 talk going on in that other part of the forum. :nerv:

Beast
05-20-2005, 10:52 PM
I can one-up that one, JBF. Here's the current specs. :D

The Muppet Show Season One Features
Disney insiders have responded to my questions regarding the upcoming "The Muppet Show - Season One Special Edition" DVD box set. They now have a tentative list of features and specifications regarding the release. This is not a full details and complete list of features; but gives you a good idea of some of the major features to expect on the first set's release. Disney also states that they plan on releasing the other four seasons of the show on equally great sets, but no further information on their disc features or release is publicly available at this time.

I'm still looking into uncovering more details; such as inclusion of the season 1 opening/closings, which pilot episode(s) to expect, what a "Muppet Morsel" really is, what is meant by "...and much more", if there will be subtitles, when will season 2 be coming, and anything else I can. I'll keep you posted as more things surface.

The Muppet Show Season One - Special Edition

Technical Specifications:

2.0 Mono
French Audio Track
4-disc collection

Episode Listing:

Juliet Prowse
Connie Stevens
Joey Grey
Ruth Buzzi
Rita Moreno
Jim Nabors
Florence Henderson
Paul Williams
Charles Aznavour
Harvey Korman
Lena Horne
Peter Ustinov
Bruce Forsythe
Sandy Duncan
Candice Bergen
Avery Schreiber
Ben Vereen
Phyllis Diller
Vincent Price
Valerie Harper
Twiggy
Ethel Merman
Kaye Ballard
Mummenschanz

Bonus Feature Lisiting:

"Muppet Morsels"
Original Muppet Pitch Reel
Original Pilot
Season One Promo Gag Reel
The Muppets' Wizard of Oz Trailer
...and much more!

Retail Specifications:

$39.99 standard retail price
Release date: August 9, 2005

http://muppetnewsflash.blogspot.com/2005/05/muppet-show-season-one-features.html

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

tagmac
05-23-2005, 11:43 PM
Now if they would just release "John Denver and the Muppets: A Christmas Together"........

Bobby Fett
09-04-2005, 11:33 PM
...The Muppet Show Season One - Special Edition

Retail Specifications:

$39.99 standard retail price
Release date: August 9, 2005

If you haven't already picked it up, it's available at Wally World for $29.94. Also out is the Muppets Wizard of Oz at $15.94.

JEDIpartner
09-05-2005, 07:53 AM
We watched a couple episodes from that set on Saturday night. I DO have to say that the pilot, where Kermit is NOT the host, is most surreal.

Miss Piggy has two different voices in the early episodes depending on who is playing her in that particular scene. Janice doesn't even sound like Janice yet. We're not sure when exactly her character "gels".

DarthQuack
09-11-2005, 09:00 PM
I picked this up the day it came out. Only watched the first disc so far.

JimJamBonds
09-14-2005, 11:53 PM
That set keeps calling my name and I REALLY want to get it yet I know there is no real point so I shouldn't. Well maybe if I can find it at a used place then I'll break down and snap it up. :)

2-1B
07-17-2007, 07:23 PM
Did you find it yet, Jim Jam ? I'd like to watch it...maybe Netflix will be the route to take.

JimJamBonds
07-18-2007, 09:29 AM
Did you find it yet, Jim Jam ? I'd like to watch it...maybe Netflix will be the route to take.

Nope never purchased it, could you please bump it up in your que?

DarthQuack
05-14-2008, 08:12 PM
Season Three comes out Tuesday, and will have fuzzy Fozzie fur.