PDA

View Full Version : why do legos cost so much?

Sith Worm
11-13-2001, 07:15 PM
Why do all the Legos cost so much? I Would love to go out and buy that Maul bust ,but $100.00. come on I spend to much on the figs. to spend 100.00 on Legos!

JediTricks
11-14-2001, 06:27 AM
It's made up of cost-per-brick (usually around 10-15 cents per brick) and the costs of designing the models (which involves also reverse-engineering the set to write the instruction manuals).

Mandalorian Candidat
11-14-2001, 09:52 AM
It's also because of that brand name appeal. What kid would rather have a Mega Blocks set than Legos?

Sith Worm
11-14-2001, 06:35 PM
I believe the name brand thing 'man can"

JediTricks
11-15-2001, 12:18 AM
HA! Yeah right, if you've ever compared Mega Bloks and those other generic building brick toys to Lego, you already know there's a huge difference. Lego uses an incredibly high-quality plastic for their bricks, and their molds for their pieces are 1/10,000th of an inch accurate (that's incredibly accurate) for a perfect fit and feel every time. Mega Bloks bricks by comparison are very sloppy, they don't hold together very well, and while I only have 5 or 6 Mega Bloks sets (the small-sized "mini bricks" or whatever they're called - the ones that are compatible with Lego), every set had TONS of flash on the bricks and many had significantly chipped pieces - some that even broke later under regular building and play. Lego are made with a much higher standard of quality than those other brands and unfortunately, that means it costs more to make the pieces which means it costs us buyers more to buy 'em.

LTBasker
11-15-2001, 12:52 AM
And don't forget the special molds like certain canopies, torsos like chewie and the ewoks, etc., etc..

GNT
12-05-2001, 02:20 AM
Originally posted by Mandalorian Candidat
What kid would rather have a Mega Blocks set than Legos?

We have a "mega block" ad on here and I noticed they "USE" a Lego person in the seat wearing an underwater helmet(put out a few years ago) I wonder if Lego knows of this?