PDA

View Full Version : Playmates: Star Wars Figures (What Might Have Been)

Beast
03-17-2003, 08:27 PM
We read a lot around here, how some people would prefer another company got the rights to Star Wars. Well, TradeFederation.net has a new article up, where they show pictures of Playmate's sample figure. Also they include an interview with one of the sculptor that worked on the presentation for Lucas. I myself, am more then happy with how Hasbro handles the line. I much prefer the 3 3/4" scale, to what Playmates had planned.

Basically, from the pictures and what the article states, it sounds like it would have been a "Epic Force" or "Unleashed" line, not real action figures. But you make the call. BTW, I know the Saga section isn't quite right for this, but I wasn't sure where else to put it. If a mod has a better idea, feel free to move it. I'll post a like to TradeFederation, but I'll post the interview and pictures here, since their site is really slow right now. Plus it makes discussing things easier.

By the way, I swear this figure was from around '97 or '98 though, as it was when all the companys were going for the Star Wars line, before the prequels came out. Maybe the sculptor was mistaken, or this was from the first time the license was up for grabs again? I suppose it could be. Oh well, read on. :)

While working at a Playmates-affiliated sculpting studio (as a modelmaker on things like Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Star Trek and Happy Meal Toys), we received word that the Star Wars license was up for grabs. Playmates, along with every other large toy company, wanted to win this badly. We were turned loose to come up with anything we could that was unusual.

A lot of things for this presentation were designed by the suits at the main Playmates think-tank, but to the best of my recollection, this model came from our desire in the shop to do something out of character for the line - something dynamic with a really good sculpt to show what we were capable of. (Of course, I was also working for Mattel on their presentation stuff, but shhh... don't tell anyone!)

The president/main sculptor of the studio and I discussed possible options and finally settled on Luke Skywalker. I brought in all of my reference materials, spanning video tapes, toys, costume sketches, and costume/prop replicas to 1981 O-Pee-Chee folder covers and even 70mm film clippings from my collection. I went into Hollywood and had 8x10 prints made from the original press kit slides. I made up some sketches once we decided on a pose and scale, and set out to work on final designs. We had about two weeks to wrap this up, which is about three weeks short of an average action figure's turnaround time. Plus, it had to be portable to take to Skywalker Ranch for presentation, and we wanted some special features like a light up lightsaber and illuminated base... all of which would take more time.

I began building the base as another artist began roughing out the figure in clay. We kept each other up to date on our progress, making suggestions and critiquing each other's work, tweaking it to make it the best it could be. We kept finding shortcuts to make things go a little faster, like embedding acrylic spheres in the clay head to give us a perfect base for the eyes.

Since I was the same height/build as Mark Hamill, we took reference photos of myself in Bespin fatigues to help us in detailing the folds and lay of the clothing.

When the rough figure was done, a mold was made, and then several wax versions were cast in a special studio-secret wax mixture. The sculpture would be refined, followed by another mold and casting series, repeated until it looked good enough to cast in resin and paint. The final figure was cast in three pieces: head, body, and left arm.

We had decided to make the lightsaber light up. This posed a special problem. We had to figure out how to get wire into the final body, as it had been cast it in resin. The mold tech, a musician, came up with an ingenious idea using guitar string in a series of loops to position the wire up through Luke: in through the right foot, up through his leg and body, and out through his right arm and hand. I then had to add his left arm and head, and blend the seams.

I created each of his accessories by hand, cast them in resin, and added them to the model. Belt, pouches, blaster, holster, and even straps on the boots were added after the fact to keep them crisp, adding depth to the figure. The saber hilt had to be cut into two parts, so I could wire a krypton bulb into the hands and add a removable blue LISA acrylic blade. I then wired one-eighth inch audio connectors into his feet, to support the removable figure on the base and provide electricity to the lightsaber.

Meanwhile, I had finished the base in three parts: pedestal, sidebar, and window. We made molds and castings of these, which I then painted and added layers of "nurnie" detailing until they had that Star Wars look. As a finishing touch, I scored and broke a mirrored tile to go under the "battle damaged" portion of the pedestal, to add more depth and reflect the flashing LED lights I'd put in the debris.

The Luke figure was painted using the reference items I had provided, and then I did a final wash and detail paint on both the base and figure. We showed the marketing guys how to assemble, operate, and present it. Finally, we crated it up for the flight to Marin County and the Ranch.

The model you see pictured here is my personal copy, one of three I created. Each has an original base piece to distinguish it as an original. I have the original pedestal, Playmates has the original sidebar, and Uncle George [Lucas] has the original window frame. While I knew a copy of the model had been left with Lucasfilm, you can imagine my surprise when I saw it behind Mr. Lucas in his office during a videotaped interview. It kind of warms the heart.

Interestingly, I wonder if the other toy companies had the opportunity to see this model. When the "Epic Force" Luke came out, it was a little too close in design for me. And now there is the "Unleashed" series, which is exactly what we proposed with this sample model a decade ago. C'est la guerre des etioles, eh?

Disclaimer:
I am allowing publication of these model images without permission from Playmates or the other talented artists involved in its creation. I don't want to give the impression that I did it all alone, and don't want to get other folks still working for Playmates in trouble until they tell me it's okay to use their names. Of course, if you'd like me to do some toy work for you, feel free to contact me at ObiShawn@operamail.com
http://www.tradefederation.net/pages/features/Playmates/

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jerjerrod
03-17-2003, 08:46 PM
Look everyone! It's Davy Jones from the Monkees!
"Hey, Hey, we're the Monkees.................:crazed: "

Seriously, I see lots of detail, both on the figure and the display base, which is better than most Hasbro stuff. But the face looks weird. I can't describe it, but it doesn't look genuine enough to convince me that Playmates is the "next" craze. I side with Hasbro still, although this piece looks great.

12inch Lando
03-17-2003, 08:51 PM
The face just looks alot younger to me. I'm thinking Jacen or Anakin Solo. Still looks pretty good though but it's a moot point.

dr_evazan22
03-17-2003, 09:37 PM
I was thinking Jacen or Anakin also. I think the face looks a little feminine (sp?). The base and window look great though.

The guy says that it can be seen behind GL in an interview... Do any of you know which one?

TheDarthVader
03-17-2003, 09:53 PM
I would rather have the 3 3/4" figures. This figure has great potential for a hasbro epic force figure but that would be about all. Nice details...

jad
03-17-2003, 11:38 PM
Thats a great looking figure, although I agree that the face is a little weird. Actually the first thing I thought when I saw the image which showed the whole figure was that he looked sorta like michael jackson, atleast the face hehe. It looked like he had that weird pointy alien nose. The display base is awsome though, it would be great if hasbro could put out a playset with that much detail.

James Boba Fettfield
03-17-2003, 11:44 PM
I don't like the face, but then again Hasbro had some nasty stuff with their figures when they started the POTF line back up in the mid-90's. Maybe with time it could have been something better.

Amy
03-17-2003, 11:56 PM
No thanks, Hasbro for me.:)

QLD
03-18-2003, 12:27 AM
Eh....it's ok. Both have a lot of room for improvment. But I think I like it better than the current Unleashed figures.

bobafrett
03-18-2003, 12:30 AM
I love the detail in the base, maybe they should join forces with Hasbro, and Playmates could design the playsets, and Hasbro could handle the figures. It does look like something along the "unleased" line, and not something for kids to play with, to many sharp edges, but more along the adult collector line.

Glitch
03-18-2003, 12:55 AM
The face looks like one of those funky little "Dark Crystal" elf people.

LTBasker
03-18-2003, 01:57 AM
The likeness seems more like Denise Crosby (Tasha Yar - TNG) which would fit considering they were making Star Trek figures then...

You can't give the real credit to Hasbro though, it was Kenner who won the line over. ;)

Beast
03-18-2003, 02:06 AM
Remeber guys, this is a show off piece for Lucas. It doesn't really showcase what the actual figures would have been. They just tried to do an amazing job, with what time they had, to try to sway Lucas. Let's also remeber how Playmates is mishandling the Simpsons line. Tons of exclusive figures, many available only thru Wizard magazine. At incredible prices, and extremly hard to get. Not to mention a change in scale and the lack of vehicles, since they scale was changed. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

James Boba Fettfield
03-18-2003, 02:14 AM
They did a pretty decent job with the Star Trek stuff, though. I'd have expected them to handle the Star Wars line like they did the Star Trek line, had they got the license. Playmates made a lot of neat stuff for the Next Generation line alone, and with some of the other Star Trek things they did.

I can't comment on their Simpsons line, though. I don't have any experience with it.

aceguide
03-18-2003, 09:59 AM
The detail on this fig is intense. Really like everything from the neck down.

Still think Hasbro is doing a good job.

Kidhuman
03-18-2003, 11:02 AM
The figure is definitley cool looking. The face does look a little odd. Jerjerrod has a point with the Monkees(LOL). I don't think I would switch from Hasbro do those if they do come out. If they just did a limited line maybe but not a full blown line.

OC47150
03-19-2003, 04:33 PM
I love that base! The figure's body is great, too.