PDA

View Full Version : Death Star

Pendo
03-18-2003, 05:38 AM
Do you think the Death Star will be in Episode III?

How do you think it will be shown? Will construction begin on it, or will be get a more detailed look at the plans? Do you think Bothans will be involved in stealing them in Ep3?

Personally I don't think the Death Star should be seen in Ep3. I think seeing the plans will be ok, but the actual space station should be saved for Episode IV.

PENDO!

James Boba Fettfield
03-18-2003, 05:41 AM
I thought the Bothans stole the plans for the second death star.

I hope the Death Star isn't shown though.

Pendo
03-18-2003, 06:10 AM
Originally posted by James Boba Fettfield
I thought the Bothans stole the plans for the second death star.

You're quite right, how silly of me. It was Kyle Katarn who stole DS1 plans wasn't it :rolleyes:. If George were to show them getting stolen though, he would probably change this as he doesn't follow the EU.

PENDO!

Amy
03-18-2003, 11:13 PM
I think towards the end we will se the Emperor and a very badly wounded Anakin fly to the not so near complete Death Star, and at the end see Anakin with his Vader gear as Palpy is laughing or something.

Ok, it will never happen, but a girl can dream...

stillakid
03-19-2003, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by Amy
I think towards the end we will se the Emperor and a very badly wounded Anakin fly to the not so near complete Death Star, and at the end see Anakin with his Vader gear as Palpy is laughing or something.

Ok, it will never happen, but a girl can dream...

As much as I loath the possibility, I'd put money on it that you're not far off the mark. Lucas has given away just about everything else, so ending Episode III with a gratiutious shot of the Death Star as well as giving away the secret (as if he hasn't already) of Vader's identity isn't beyond him at this point.

Kidhuman
03-19-2003, 11:34 PM
Amy that sounds like a pretty good ending. Itis possible. I hope Gl doesn't show the Death Star. Although it is 10 years later and all, he might. Who knows?

Ans....GL knows

Darkross
03-20-2003, 11:54 AM
10 years later? What? I had the impression that EIII would only be about 2 - 4 years after EII. Personally I don't think we will see the DS in EIII, but if we do catch a glimpse...it will be at the very end and kind of like the fleet launching at the end of EII...in that the DS will begin construction. It would be neat to show a small skeletal structure orbiting a small moon sometime during EIII...to show the vast amount of work yet to be done and serve as a nice way to help stitch the two trilogies together.

LusiferSam
03-23-2003, 07:23 PM
I hope we don't see the Death Star, in any stage. It was kind of cool in AOTC, but it wreaks much of the EU history about it (not that I care much about the EU any more). And I don't think the DS helps stitch the two trilogies together.

DarthChuckMc
04-03-2003, 08:42 PM
Dark Horse's "Republic" is filling in some gaps, as well as the Clone Wars cartoon in November. I think there's a novel coming out (maybe it's out now?) that should fill in some more.

There's supposedly 5 years between ANH and TESB, and 3 between TESB and ROTJ.
Episode 3 is supposed to be roughly 18 years before ANH, since Luke and Leia are around 18 when we first see them.

On to the DS topic. If there is 8 years between ANH and Jedi, and the Empire only got 3/4 the way done with DS2 in that time, I don't think our chances of seeing DS1 are very good.

Mod note: Edited to remove spoiler material - Please don't include any information regarding the plot of E3 in the no spoilers forum.

scruffziller
07-01-2003, 02:38 PM
If the Death Star is shown I hope they give it a real kooky, different unfinished look like they did in ROTJ but in a mindblowing pattern.

Pendo
07-01-2003, 02:40 PM
If the Death Star is shown I hope they give it a real kooky, different unfinished look like they did in ROTJ but in a mindblowing pattern.

Good idea :). If they do show it, I'm hoping it isn't yet in space, perhaps different sections of it have been constructed on a planet's surface before going up.

PENDO!

scruffziller
07-01-2003, 03:30 PM
Good idea :). If they do show it, I'm hoping it isn't yet in space, perhaps different sections of it have been constructed on a planet's surface before going up.

PENDO!

He he, then my physics theory in the other thread I started would be thrown out the window.:D

kwyjibo111
07-15-2003, 09:45 AM
Maybe the death star will be shown in some way, perhaps as just the weapon itself and not the space station. (similar to the book Darksaber, which was a crappy book IMO). You have to wonder if its used to destroy the Gungans as well as the planet Naboo. After all Naboo is not mentioned in the original trilogy.
(I had to throw the destruction of the Gungans in there) :-)

Exhaust Port
07-15-2003, 10:37 AM
I think GL is planning on showing the Death Star at some point in some stage of contruction in EIII and set up for it in AOTC. By showing the DS plans so early in the PT (the second movie rather than the last movie) I'm guessing he did so in order to allow for it's appearance in the next movie.

Now that GL has taken a lot of time to forshadow the OT it wouldn't suprise me if not only do we see the DS1 at some point but reference to or plans are shown for DS2 as well. Perhaps at the end of EIII, we watch the Emperors shuttle fly off to an awaiting DS1 in some stage of construction. In addition to the DS1 we also see the very early construction of a much larger DS2 floating nearby.

See any reference to the DS2 would put a different spin on ANH's ending since we would have known a lot sooner about the suprise DS2 in ROTJ. I don't think it would be a bad addition through, I kind of like the addition of the DS plans as it helps tie in PT events with OT events. The discussion of the DS2 construction comes up often and showing either the plans or even early construction in EIII will safe explaination. Rather than assuming that it was started at some point around the destruction of the DS1 we would know that it was started about the same time but due to it's hugh size the construction has taken a lot longer.

Pendo
07-15-2003, 12:04 PM
maybe the plans were not shown in Ep2 to set up it's construction in Episode III, but maybe it was to set up part of the story. Perhaps the Jedi recieve word of a massive space station that could destroy a planet, and they try and obtain the plans from the Sith, only to fail, and it be built for ANH.

PENDO!

hamsterboy
07-18-2003, 06:27 PM
This is yet another item that screws up the OT. If it's around in Episode III,why is Obi-Wan surprised to see it? Wouldn't he have know about it in the time frame in between the movies?

princethomas
11-30-2003, 12:50 AM
About Obi-Wan's reaction in ANH. Two things he does. First he explains to Han, when they come out of Hyperspace that Alderaan has been destroyed. Han doesnt believe it. Han is a very well traveled space pilot and Obi-Wan is a hermit. So youd think Han would know whats what. So Id say that the Death Star must have been a secret until tha ANH unveiling. Then when they get close enough, Obi wan gets that great look on his face when he realize what the DS is. Its like a confirmation that it does in fact exist.

So for Ep 3 I say we probably wont see it being built. But the plans and some sort of discussion about it will take place. Perhaps Yoda and O and Padme etc. will talk about it, as if its something they have heard is being built. How dangerous it is. How it could be used to threaten planets and keep systems in line. Enough so that Obi-Wan will know that the future Empire may eventually have the technology to destroy a planet and also that a giant Small moon sized space station is the possible carrier of such a weapon.
I think that would fit in perfectly with his reaction in ANH

Now, as for the end of Ep3 I dont know. The last 20 minutes or so could be anything. So its quite possible we might see some construction of it, just as part of the tying the trilogies together. But other than at the then I dont think we ll see it. Just talk about it.

-Tom

Masterdorkboy
12-16-2003, 12:21 PM
I think it would be cool if Obi discovered some hint of the plans to build the DS, but having no specifics of what it will look like, or even be possible, it would definitely tie into the scene where he first sees the DS in ANH an has the instant sense of forboding before anyone else realizes what it is.