PDA

View Full Version : (Music)Great Undiscovereds

The 'Xir
03-19-2003, 12:12 AM
Some other music related threads have inspired this one, and I'm sure there has been similar threads like this but, I figured this might generate some new responses!

The Idea: List some of your favorite music albums, that you feel really are solid bodies of work, that for what-ever reason never acheived any significant commercial success, or are just underground albums that haven't been able to reach alot of people! Also, list where or how someone might be able to get them! This way other forum members can possibly find or experience some great music they might otherwise might have never heard!

I know I'll have tons more but here are a couple that fall under the category that had 'single' commercial success but for whatever reason the album or band never caught on:

Echobelly - "ON" (c)1995 Rhythm King Records 550 Music/Epic Records Catalog# BK 67368 --Female vocaled poprock--

Whitetrash - ST(self-titled) (c)1991 Elektra Entertainment(Time Warner) catlog# 9 61053-2 --pop rock, funkdified punk male group with the great 'Badass Brass" backup band--

Ruby - "Salt Peter" (c)1995 Creation Records Ltd/WORK(sony) catalog# OK 67458 --female vocaled alternative new wave rock--

and since we just celebrated St Paddy's day...

The Pouges - "Hell's Ditch" (get back to ya about their catalog info)

All the above albums should be able to be ordered at any major record store in the US and Canada.

Here's a great one from my area:

Los Blancos - "For Sale By Owner" (c)1997 Doctor K Records Catalog# 1951-2 Doctor K Records: P.O. Box 133...Syracuse, NY USA 13215 --Great classic Blues sound with one of the best young blues guitarist in Jose Alvarez appearing on the album!

So what do you guys have or like? I'll add some more when I get a chance!

gibbspaulus
03-19-2003, 10:39 AM
Okay, the list of 'just missed', artists with not enough recognition>

Julia Fordham
David Sylvian
Tori Amos (in the Uk at least)
Kate Bush (int the US at least)
Murray Head

All have great, deep, 'feeling' music. You know, the kind that has a weight to it. Makes you feel special when you listen to it.

EricRG
03-19-2003, 11:07 AM
Stereolab
My Bloody Valentine
Swervedriver

Patient Zero
03-19-2003, 12:57 PM
I fail to understand how brilliant, innovative bands like VNV Nation, Covenant, Apoptygma Berzerk, etc. win the DAC (German alternative award) year after year, but they are practicaly unknown in the US.

The Overlord Returns
03-19-2003, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by The Ghost of Jonna
I fail to understand how brilliant, innovative bands like VNV Nation, Covenant, Apoptygma Berzerk, etc. win the DAC (German alternative award) year after year, but they are practicaly unknown in the US.

Well, according to marshall mathers "Nobody listens to techno!"

:crazed:

Patient Zero
03-19-2003, 01:33 PM
Actually none of those bands that I mentioned are techno, but who can argue with a man that names himself after a candy! ;)

The Overlord Returns
03-19-2003, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by The Ghost of Jonna
Actually none of those bands that I mentioned are techno,

Yeah, but neither is Moby..........

Lesson learned: eminem is an idiot ;)

2-1B
03-19-2003, 01:47 PM
Alice Peacock ! ! !

Patient Zero
03-19-2003, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by The Overlord Returns
Yeah, but neither is Moby..........

Lesson learned: eminem is an idiot ;)

??????:confused: ??????:confused: ???????

And I thought that I was confusing! I won't ask what you're talking about because then I would have to shoot myself by, for and with myself. :crazed:

Actually, there are a lot of bands that I don't understand why they never made it when things like Menudo and Brittney Forks have. I can only assume that the type of audience that would appreciate it is just not where I am. :cry:

El Chuxter
03-19-2003, 02:25 PM
Here's a few undiscovered gems from the top of my head:

Gibb Droll: Dharma. One of my all-time favorite blues albums by a great guitar slinger (some would say reincarnation of Stevie Ray Vaughan) from the Charlottesville, VA, area. There's a great cover of a Miles Davis tune ("All Blues," if I'm not mistaken) and one song called "Gentry Song" that is so good it's criminal it was never a #1 single, or even released on a major label. Looks like it's out of print, but amazon has a listing (and currently one used copy for $9.99) here (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000006MPG/qid=1048104702/sr=1-3/ref=sr_1_3/102-8374236-7836109?v=glance&s=music).

Cork: Speed of Thought. A band made up of Eric Schenkeman (the former guitarist and only talented member of the Spin Doctors) and the drummer from Mountain ("Mississippi Queen"). An awesome roots-rock CD.

Ryan Adams: Gold. A slightly country-fried singer songwriter and critical darling who's never gotten a lot of commercial success, though Bono and the Corrs had a minor hit with a cover of his "When the Stars Go Blue" (from this album).

Pete Yorn: musicforthemorningafter. Another critics' fave with pretty much no commercial success. Think the illegitimate child of Kurt Cobain and Jakob Dylan and you've got the basic idea. There's a limited-edition (but still widely available) 2-disc version of this that goes for the same price and has some awesome covers of songs by Springsteen, Bowie, and others.

Bryan May: Live at the Brixton Academy. A British import of the former Queen guitarist doing incredible live versions of his Queen and solo work. Worth the higher import price for a kick-arse 14+ minute medley of "Now I'm Here", "Resurrection", his oft-played "Brighton Rock" solo, "The 1812 Overture", and the fast part of "Bohemian Rhapsody."

Izzy Stradlin: 117. Second and best album from the former Guns n Roses rhythm guitarist. More classic Rolling Stones with a slight punk edge than GNR, a solid work from start to finish.

Def Leppard: Slang. Def Lep's brief foray into grunge showed they had a lot more versatility than some gave them credit for, and, though it kinda wavers a bit toward the end, has some absolutely incredible songs at the start.

Scorpions: Eye II Eye. The Scorpions flirted with techno and electronica (if they're not the same thing) on this 1997 (?) CD. My favorite work by them by a long shot, and I generall hate heavily synthesized music.

The Donnas: Spend the Night. I'm surprised Caesar didn't beat me to this one. This is one of the best 70s hard rock bands, except that they're a bunch of teenaged girls recording in the 00's. I just picked this one up yesterday and am already in danger of wearing it out. :)

U2: If God Will Send His Angels. True, U2 already has more success than they could figure out what to do with in a hundred lifetimes, but this single is worth tracking down for "Slow Dancing," an awesome track with Willie Nelson on lead vocal. Even though it's a b-side (and for some reason didn't show up on their recent 1990-2000 b-sides disc), it's easily my favorite U2 track.

Frank Zappa: Just about anything (except for a couple of unlistenable 80s releases done entirely on synclavier). The guy was a freakin' genius and, except for the minor novelty hits "Don't Eat the Yellow Snow" and "Valley Girl," is known only to his cult followers. One of the all-time best rock guitarists, an accomplished jazzman, a classical composer, and "Weird Al on crack" all rolled into one. He has more than 80 CDs to his credit (including a few posthumous releases), of which I have less than 1/4. I will wholeheartedly recommend the compilations Strictly Commercial: The Best of Frank Zappa, Have I Offended Someone?, and Cheap Thrills as the best places to start.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
03-19-2003, 02:38 PM
Good call on Pete Yorn, Chuxter!! I picked up his disc when it was released and it still remains one of my favorites. I however, hate Nirvana, so i'll just say he's a mix between Bob Dylan and Springsteen. A very excellent disc. I'm hoping to see him in May in Columbus!!

Sigur Ros- Agaetis Byrjun- Truly one of the most amazing CD's i've ever had. Not everybody will like this one, as in they are from Iceland and sing in Icelandic and Hopelandic (don't ask, just listen to it). Amazing landscapes and beautiful harmonies....a great great CD, i cannot stress this enough.

Howie Day- Australia I agree with MTV when they said he was a "one man Radiohead" His debut disc is truly awesome, but you have to catch him live to get the talent of this kid. Truly brilliant.

Phish- Billy Breathes I know i'll get lots of anti-Phish and hippie cracks, but that would require me to care and frankly, i don't. Easily one of their best works ever. "Theme From the Bottom" is an amazing tune and the "Bliss --> Billy Breathes" followed by the ending three tracks "Steep -->(cant recall title) --> Prince Caspian" is a great great closer. Definately a must have for any laid back listener.

:D

James Boba Fettfield
03-19-2003, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by Jedi_Master_Guyute
Howie Day- Australia

I had an engineering class with a drunk who wore a shirt that said Howie Day on it, with the land of Aussies on it. I thought it was some kind of beer company, now I know better.

EricRG
03-19-2003, 10:08 PM
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh...Billy Breathes. My fav Phish album. A masterpiece. I hope it NEVER gets popular.

QLD
03-19-2003, 10:20 PM
But, if you like them, wouldn't you want their music to become popular?

Kidhuman
03-19-2003, 10:22 PM
I think Phish is pretty popular already.

EricRG
03-20-2003, 12:33 AM
No QLD. Tickets for their shows are already hard enough to get. Phish themselves have stated over and over that their biggest fear is "the hit". As KH said, they are already plenty popular. They were just on the cover of Rolling Stone last month. Phish has also sworn to never play huge stadiums either, so if they were to have a hit song, tickets for their shows will get even more impossible to acquire.

2-1B
03-20-2003, 01:59 AM
Well, I also hope Phish never records a hit song because the less I hear of them, the better. :crazed:

Originally posted by El Chuxter
The Donnas: Spend the Night. I'm surprised Caesar didn't beat me to this one. This is one of the best 70s hard rock bands, except that they're a bunch of teenaged girls recording in the 00's. I just picked this one up yesterday and am already in danger of wearing it out. :)

See, I WAS going to mention The Donnas, but now they are much more
mainstream . . . so I didn't. :D

Spend the Night is their 5th album (well, the 5th that I know of). It's their first major-label recording, which might explain their current exposure.

I "got into" the band after the release of their 3rd album Get Skintight. I saw them at a local club, and they were VERY cool. Great show, and they signed CDs before and after the set. :)

They aren't teenagers anymore, they're all probably around 22/23 years of age on Spend the Night. Their last album was titled The Donnas Turn 21 and that came out in . . . early 2001 . . . because I remember seeing them on that tour as well. So they must all be around 22 or 23 right now.

Yeah, ever since the new album came out, I've seen them in magazines, on Conan O'Brien, Saturday Night Live, Anheiser Busch ( I think it was AB ) Music commercials, etc.
The new CD has a DVD included (Chux, did yours come with the DVD? It has an interview with Andy Dick. :D ).

I'm bummed out that the place where I saw them (on the last 2 tours) has since closed down. :( No chance of them coming here in support of this album . . . :(
But on the other hand, I anticipate that they will get more opening slots on bigger tours now, so they might not have come back anyway. :D

scruffziller
03-20-2003, 09:00 AM
Jamiroquai
Portishead
Badly Drawn Boy
Pet Shop Boys

Jedi_Master_Guyute
03-20-2003, 09:22 AM
I actually AGREE w/ EricG here!! My lord!! :D

Yes, you are right. Tickets are already a huge pain in the nalgas to get, although, i saw them in Cincy in Feb! (sorry, had to toss that in) However, tickets for their last tour before the hiatus weren't too hard to get, and this tour was tough to get cause it was their first back, so it was obvious tix were going to be cut throat. I think in time, things will settle down.

Phish already has a huge fan base as it is, and i just hope they don't attract people who don't enjoy the music. I've been to too many shows of other artists w/ people there who are just there for the hell of it, don't know any of the tunes and they're really not fans. I don't see Phish "getting a hit" anytime soon, since the mainstream public seems to ignore bands that actually HAVE talent. ;)

Just c'mon Phish, announce the summer tour..c'mon, summer tour...summer tour...summer tour... :D

EricRG
03-20-2003, 10:59 AM
the Donnas are playing Lollapalooza this summer.

El Chuxter
03-20-2003, 04:43 PM
Hmmm. . . I didn't know they'd hit the mainstream. I too decided they were really cool after hearing "Skintight" for the first time on a late-night music video show on local TV station in Roanoke a few years ago. Having heard little or nothing from them on the radio in the lousy Los Angeles radio wasteland (where you're only happy if you want to hear "Janie's Crying" 723 times a day or like "The Memory Remains" with Marianne Faithfull poorly remixed out of it), I assumed they were still fairly "underground." Shall I hereby rescind my recommendation? :D

And my CD didn't come with a DVD. I didn't realize until you said something that I'd missed out. Thanks a lot for ruining my day, Caesar! I think I'll go jump off a bridge or something now.

:crazed::Pirate:

QLD
03-20-2003, 04:52 PM
I've never heard a Phish song......What kind of music do they play? I know they have a Grateful Dead type following......but do they play that same hippy/rock? Or is it different?

Jedi_Master_Guyute
03-20-2003, 05:06 PM
I dunno, folks say it rips off the Dead, but i disagree. I love Phish and yes, it is considered "hippie rock." For example, saw them in Cincy back in Feb and one song jammed out 25 min, another 18 and so on. It's amazing stuff in my opinion. :D

The 'Xir
03-20-2003, 10:15 PM
Phish is cool and all, don't want you to not talk about them, but how about some more suggestions on undiscovered music! :)

Oh and guys don't forget to let people know how to get their hands on these diamonds in the ruff!!!

EricRG
03-21-2003, 01:01 AM
Phish is much closer to the Velvet Underground or King Crimson than the Grateful Dead. Phish were certainly influenced by the Dead in the way that they run the Phish enterprise as a whole and the way the Dead were completely open to experimentation at any time during a live show.

More undiscovered music: Camper Van Beethoven, the Cranes, Tricky, Pale Saints, Boo Radleys.

Kidhuman
03-21-2003, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by scruffziller
Portishead

Great band. Loved Dummy especially Biscuit and Glory Box.

I also love Live. I know they are popular, but their first album Mental Jewelry is awesome. Love Mother Earth is a Viscious Crowd.

EricRG
03-22-2003, 02:08 AM
the Donnas...I just saw them buying shoes on some VH-1 show. If that doesn't make them mainstream, I don't know what does!

scruffziller
03-22-2003, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by kidhuman
Great band. Loved Dummy especially Biscuit and Glory Box.

The song I liked best is "Only You."

Probably because it was the first song I ever heard of theirs on SNL.

kool-aid killer
03-22-2003, 10:43 PM
That OG gangsta named Snoop Dogg!!! Hes the best. Now everybody sing with me, "It aint no fuuuun, if the homies cant haaave none! Whoops, you guys said undiscovered. I dont listen to any of the artist you have mentioned so i wont criticize them but the only reason i bring up Snoop D O double G is....

POW!!!!!!

Kool aid killer gets smacked for liking rap and says he wont mention it again. But really I usually just listen to whatevers on the radio (yes im a slave to the machine) but are any of these groups songs that youve mentioned able to be downloaded? I promise if i like them i wont burn them onto a cd.

EricRG
03-25-2003, 01:53 AM
Bongwater

The 'Xir
03-25-2003, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by kool-aid killer
but are any of these groups songs that youve mentioned able to be downloaded?

Well, I don't know about these other guys suggestions, but as far as mine I just went onto Kaza and didn't come up with anything for Ruby or White Trash, but Echobelly came up with a bunch of listings which I was quite suprised by! Cool to see though, they are really good! They just have great hooks in all there songs! :cool:

their single was called, 'King of the Kerb' Awesome!!!

other good ones are: 'Four Letter Word', 'Car Fiction', 'Go Away', 'Natural Animal, and 'In the Year...Hell almost everything off the albumn "ON" is great! It just one of those great complete albums of one hit after another, it's a shame they never went anywhere, they could have been as popular as No Doubt or Garbage! Oh well!

The 'Xir
08-17-2004, 05:10 PM
Seeing as how it's been more than a year since the last post in this thread, I thought I'd revive it figuring that there has been some bands that may have been signed but haven't taken off, and I know there has got to be some other bands/albums you guys can come up with from way back when that have yet to reach the mainstreams ears! And Don't forget to let others know how or where we can get a hold of these undiscovered gems!

To get things started, I've heard this unsigned band called 'Addison Steele' on garageband.com! They hail from Santa Barbra CA and sound like a cross between 'Live' and 'Mother Love Bone' Check 'em out here. (http://www.garageband.com/artist/AddisonSteele)

don't know if you can access this above link without registering for Garageband.com!

They used to have their own website where they sold their albumn, but I had trouble trying to access it just now, hopefully its temporarily down! If it goes back up their site is: www.addison-steele.com

enjoy!