PDA

View Full Version : Do we need more playsets?

Amy
03-19-2003, 02:54 PM
For me, I'm kinda torn on this issue. Playsets of course cost more, and take up alot more space, but still there is something about playsets I just love. I even loved the cardboard cantina and Jabba's palace lol.

I NEVER ever seen the Endor or Hoth playsets, so I kinda wish those where re-issued. What playsets would you like to see in the saga line, if any at all?? I guess the scene packs could be thought of as mimi playsets....

For me, Lars Homestead is at the top of my list, as well as Emperor's throne room for Jedi.

How about you, would you want more playsets?

Kidhuman
03-19-2003, 03:43 PM
Yes, Yes Yes. I want alot of vintage playsets redone. I want the Imperial Attack Base so bad. I had 2 as a kid and now none.:( I also want an Ewok Village and a Death Star. I would like re-issues but would buy vintage if necessary.

Vortex
03-19-2003, 03:45 PM
Naa I'll pass on the playset. The 3 packs and "Scene Builders" sets are good enough for me.

I don't play with or pose my stuff. Just set them up on a shelf or my radio.

I do have the arena playset, didn't open it though. Not enough room, but I wasn't over jazzed about some of the gimicks either.

I'd gladly pass on the playsets if they sank the research and development into the figures or other ships.

aceguide
03-19-2003, 03:53 PM
From what we've seen of the new lines it seems the playset is coming back with the War Room and Jedi sets. I think this is a good return for them.

With the weekness of the Arena I would have to say that I would prefer Hasbro stays away from the full blown playsets and should stick with these new ones. The scale and the detail is much easier to attain, whereas the Arena was just not that great.

QLD
03-19-2003, 03:56 PM
I would prefer backgrounds or stages as opposed to playsets.

I don't actually play with the toys, so I am looking for something more suitable for display, rather than fun factor.

mark2d2
03-19-2003, 04:48 PM
I'd totally dig more playsets. All those vintage photos over at Cloud City Collectibles really got me thinking . . .

Those old playsets were certainly cool.

I'd love to see some of them re-issued. Frankly, many of them are much, much cooler than any of the modern playsets . . . Even the ones that are pretty nifty --- like the Death Star Escape --- are way too small!

I'd love to see them reissue the Death Star with some retooling. Even something like the old Land of The Jawas is something I would probably buy. I miss the old days of cool displays.

PS --- I actually rather like the Carbon Freezing Chamber. Sure, it was a tad too small, but I still get a real kick out of this piece . . . The Bar Sections that came with Cantina Packs also get very high marks from me. :D

PS 2 -- Yeah, the War Room especially looks pretty dang cool. Now if only the rumoured Emperor's Throne Room set comes to pass. And is totally wicked cool! :evil:

mark2d2
03-19-2003, 07:05 PM
Frankly, they are necessary.

For me at least.

I am RAPIDLY losing interest in the line. Too many figures look like they are "voguing" and now that I think about it --- I have far too many figures anyway. I'd love something else to buy that the figures I already own could use . . .

JediTricks
03-19-2003, 09:21 PM
GOOD playsets, yeah, that'd be nice.

Obi-Dan Kenobi
03-19-2003, 11:05 PM
Yeah, I'd love some new playsets, as long as they were really cool and fairly accurate. Emperor's Throne Room, Lars Homestead, some sort of Echo Base or Rebel Trench, Ewok Villiage and maybe a Lars Homestead would all be great.

Edit: I just thought of another while browsing the "Dear Hasbro" forum! A Bespin Control Room/Gantry like the old Micro collection would be great, and coul have some cool features.:)

12inch Lando
03-20-2003, 05:27 AM
I guess playsets have passed me by. I open and display not play. It could be that I havent seen a really good one in so long that I've forgotten the fun. I do have a vintage Death Star playset but its not that great to look at. It was hella fun to play with when I was a kid though.

JEDIpartner
03-20-2003, 09:03 AM
I dunno why everyone slags the Arena playset. I really like it quite a bit. No... it's not "prefect" but the fact that it can be expandable with other pieces is a great plus!

I agree, though, that we need some other good playset "type" pieces and think we are getting them with the War Room and the Jedi Council. Well done!

InsaneJediGirl
03-20-2003, 01:41 PM
I'd like to see a Dex's Diner or Lars Homestead playset.Lars Homestead complete for all movies of course.Shmis gravesite for Ep2 and Crunchy Owen and Beru for ANH:D

DarthWitko
03-20-2003, 02:16 PM
Lars Homestead would be awsome. They could realease this with Cleig Lars or with skeletons of Owen and Beru. I think this would be something that would easily sell since it has never been released before.

Amy
03-20-2003, 02:38 PM
JEDIpartnr-I agree. I'm also a fan of the battle arena playset, and dont see why it gets slammed so much.

Well I dont play with my figures either, but I DO open them, and have them displayed all over my house. Playsets just make a great backdrop, and gives the figures life in some cases.

Jargo
03-20-2003, 03:12 PM
I don't want a whole playset as such i want collectible pieces of wall and floor so you can build up as much or as little as you want. That way you can build a warren of death star or perhaps a whole rebel hangar. Or just buy enough to make a backdrop wall for your display. I think the days of actual playsets in one piece are dead. They just don't turn out right and are hampered by sily play features which never work properly and there isn't enough detail in them. Wall sections with better detail that link together like the mini bases coming with figures now would be my hope for the future. more accurate to the movies and customisable. Sold in packs on a card like a deluxe set, three wall panels to a set with seperate floor section sets. Intersection special sets and maybe even some deluxe electronic sets with lights and/or sounds. Battle damaged versions with triggered blast off sections. With wall and floor sections there's more can be done with them and the possibilities for play or display are greater. Sold on the pegs rather than in a huge box stores would be more willing to take them on no doubt.

mark2d2
03-20-2003, 05:10 PM
Holy totally wicked cool idea, Jargo! :evil:

Amy
03-20-2003, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by EMPEROR JARGO
I don't want a whole playset as such i want collectible pieces of wall and floor so you can build up as much or as little as you want. That way you can build a warren of death star or perhaps a whole rebel hangar. Or just buy enough to make a backdrop wall for your display. I think the days of actual playsets in one piece are dead. They just don't turn out right and are hampered by sily play features which never work properly and there isn't enough detail in them. Wall sections with better detail that link together like the mini bases coming with figures now would be my hope for the future. more accurate to the movies and customisable. Sold in packs on a card like a deluxe set, three wall panels to a set with seperate floor section sets. Intersection special sets and maybe even some deluxe electronic sets with lights and/or sounds. Battle damaged versions with triggered blast off sections. With wall and floor sections there's more can be done with them and the possibilities for play or display are greater. Sold on the pegs rather than in a huge box stores would be more willing to take them on no doubt.

'Drools'

Thats a GEAT idea indeed.

QLD
03-20-2003, 06:09 PM
Jargos idea is very similar to what I would like as well. I just want a cool backdrop, not an interactive toy.

Jargo
03-20-2003, 06:54 PM
:happy: I just thought about the arena and then looked at the upcoming screen scenes and thought that sections seem to be all hasbro are prepared to do, smaller pieces that can be packed in bulk in cases. More units get sold if the units are smaller. people se to prefer smaller packages of things. The deluxe sixe package sells just as well as the single carded figures so make the wall sections roughly that size. Because they're going to be technicallty mostly flatpacked stuff they will get more to a case, more to a peg and it's a cool new way of doing things that would appeal to both the kids and to us collectors. interlinking interchangeable pieces for a whole new galaxy of locations. hell, this way they could even do the whole cantina. See looking at the Endor bunker playset piece they were almost on the right track with the construction of it, they just used the wrong sort of connectors. With a little more careful engineering they could have made that thing solid as a rock, it wouldn't even be too late now to make some sections to extend it back further, add some more roof, give t an interior section. Make the thing better. They could slightly retool the detention block section of playset and add to that to make it better and extendable, so you could have two sides to it and more cells. Remove the big laser gun thing and ad the control console in as a large accessory with a new sculpt death star trooper or new officer in correct tunic. The possibilities of doing stuff like this rather than a large chunk of poo colored plastic make it easily the most appealing option.

Although, there are still people who prefer to buy a collosal box full of stuff they have no way to store. so this wouldn't appeal to them. I dunno this needs some more thought but i think it could work. At least i know that if effort was put into developing it as a way to give us decent environments I'd buy it. As long as there was going to be some real choice in the different packs and sections. If it turned out as just the same old pieces over and over then i wouldn't bother. Maybe start off with one environment like the death star, run to three sets and one deluxe, just to test the water and if it took off just go nuts. Jabbas palace, cantina, rebel hangars, spaceship interiors, whatever. I suppose the only snag would be in flatpacking curved pieces like say, the offices of palpatine or the jedi council chamber or rebel briefing room or whatever but i think just getting dsome well thought out environment sections would be a start. I see the playsets we have as very much in the same vein as the vintage stuff. But times change and so has the style of the figures and toys. So why not the play/display environment? This to me would address that. A solid style change and a solution to suit different collector bases and pockets.

I'm waffling sorry.

JediTricks
03-21-2003, 04:10 AM
Originally posted by JEDIpartnr
I dunno why everyone slags the Arena playset. I think because it's perceived not so much a playset as a hollow wall - like the original Castle Grayskull from the old MOTU line, once open it was just an injection-molded, mostly-empty, wall with some windows, a door, and a tiny floor.

JEDIpartner
03-21-2003, 08:37 AM
Well... that being what it is, is really not the problem. What people have suggested as playsets would be an absolute nightmare to play with. People (not Jargo) are conceiving deep rooms with all manner of features and, quite frankly, I cannot see how this would be feasable as a playset. One couldn't possibly get their hands in each room to play with more than one figure at a time, let alone not knock them all over or, dumber still, not be able to see what they are doing. What is the play value of anything when it's just that difficult.

The problem is, people are confusing playsets for diorama scenes and those are two completely different things. For as much as we hail the vintage Death Star playset, it was completely inaccurate. It was a great playset because it had all the parts of the movie we remember and it didn't really matter that it wasn't perfect. The Star Destroyer was another case of inaccurate, but fun. It was representational of the ship and that was fine. It, again, gave us all the parts we needed to act our the bits from the film or even other adventures.

The Arena playset succeeds on all of these points. No, it is NOT a detail for detail, scale to scale recreation of the Arena or Factory on Geonosis, but it still allows one to have fun!

Still... Jargo raises some very good points and I feel these points could possibly satisfy the diorama builders and the playset collectors alike.

Jargo
03-21-2003, 02:05 PM
Yes, I envisioned a way of having it be as deep as you want in any combination so that diorama builders get their fill, folk who display get a nice backdrop, Playset people get something they can build into a good play environment. I also don't see it as having a roof or ceiling unless somehow there was a way of adding layers one on top of another but with sectional stuff that wouldn't really work. Unless there were extra sets designed specificallt for that purpose.

As far as keeping it toylike, I saw the more deluxe pieces with electronics and triggered actions as taking care of that. I mean, I see a section of death star wall with a trigger action that would blast a panel to pieces. Like it had been shot by rebel forces or say, enemy fire ripped through the space station. With wall sections it would be possible to do stuff like the opening and closing of the blast shield doors, in a similar vein to the doors on the Theed hangar playset, one lever opens both sides of the doors at the same time. There could still be room for larger sets like the death star chasm with taller walls and add in peices like the tractor beam controls column, working bridge sections. It would - would be possible to do something like this. An ongoing series of sets just like the figures. Building up gradually.

People these days don't seem so prepared to pay out for larger items and wait for the bargain basement prices before purchasing, so isn't it wiser to try and tap into that and make stuff that suits the lower price bracket? sells faster?

Okay I'm gonna stop here before I sound like a zealot. ;)

JEDIpartner
03-21-2003, 02:48 PM
That's exactly what I was saying... your idea has a way of pleasing more of the collectors than what is currently available. The current playsets are playsets... nothing more.

How did you get to be so brilliant?? :D

TheDarthVader
03-21-2003, 03:00 PM
I will have to say that the arena playset is crap. Just admit it! The original price of that thing was $39.99. I would buy fifty saga tru x-wings before I bought the arena playset. For the money, it could have been a lot better.

JediTricks
03-22-2003, 02:27 AM
The Arena playset is essentially a wall, most of the play/display happens in front or behind it - that sounds like a diorama to me. For me, a good playset has to have at 3 walls per "room" concept, plenty of doors where applicable (especially opening/closing ones), and an interesting floor; multiple layers are often a plus, splitting in half for more play access is good too, and windows & display panels for the figures to look at and interact with make things better.

stillakid
03-22-2003, 02:50 AM
Originally posted by JEDIpartnr
Well... that being what it is, is really not the problem. What people have suggested as playsets would be an absolute nightmare to play with. People (not Jargo) are conceiving deep rooms with all manner of features and, quite frankly, I cannot see how this would be feasable as a playset. One couldn't possibly get their hands in each room to play with more than one figure at a time, let alone not knock them all over or, dumber still, not be able to see what they are doing. What is the play value of anything when it's just that difficult.

The problem is, people are confusing playsets for diorama scenes and those are two completely different things. For as much as we hail the vintage Death Star playset, it was completely inaccurate. It was a great playset because it had all the parts of the movie we remember and it didn't really matter that it wasn't perfect. The Star Destroyer was another case of inaccurate, but fun. It was representational of the ship and that was fine. It, again, gave us all the parts we needed to act our the bits from the film or even other adventures.

The Arena playset succeeds on all of these points. No, it is NOT a detail for detail, scale to scale recreation of the Arena or Factory on Geonosis, but it still allows one to have fun!

Still... Jargo raises some very good points and I feel these points could possibly satisfy the diorama builders and the playset collectors alike.

I agree almost entirely. Whenever I bring up my suggestions for a large round Death Star and the Star Destroyer plans, a flurry of responses generally follow up espousing the virtues of a "modular" "playset" instead. But just as you suggest, I don't like the idea of the modular piece by piece idea mainly because it smacks more of prefab diorama than of a playset. As much as so many people keep asking Hasbro for this piece by piece method of building large environments, it seems folly to me. A large toy company first of all, most likely would never "create" a toy like this. Second, if they did, the detail would almost certainly be disappointing to the diorama builders who clamor for it in the firstplace. Better to build your own and just allow the toy companies to build "fun!" playsets that, you know, you can play with! :)

The only thing I've been wanting to add to that fun idea is a sense of screen realism to the exteriors of the playsets. Make a Death Star that actually looks like a Death Star (round ball) and a Star Destroyer that actually looks like a Star Destroyer on the outside. It wouldn't be that hard to do and it would almost be guaranteed to be a riveting success! :)

coy5
03-22-2003, 12:53 PM
I would like to see more playsets. I have said before that hasbro needs to re-make, re-hash, whatever to the vintage micro collection playsets to scale for the 3 3/4" figures. I am currently bidding on all of these playsets and if and when I get them I am going to set of some scenes and post some pics.

JON9000
03-23-2003, 01:05 PM
My parents' Tan colored couch always made the greatest Jundland wastes playset ever when I was a kid. The Tusken Raiders teamed up with a Jawa, Boba Fett, and Darth Vader to try and take out Han, Chewie, Luke and Lando from high above on the couch's arm.

Playsets were all over the house. And while I loved the Death Star, Hasbro seems to only know how to make playsets for GIJoe. Anyone remember the Cobra Terrordome?

JediTricks
03-23-2003, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by JON9000
Playsets were all over the house. And while I loved the Death Star, Hasbro seems to only know how to make playsets for GIJoe. Anyone remember the Cobra Terrordome? As great as some of those like Terror Dome, Defiant launch complex (which I had) and the USS Flagg were, Hasbro put out some stinkers too like the Mobile Command Center and Transportable Tactical Battle Platform. Maybe it's nigh-impossible to make good playsets.

Amy
03-23-2003, 07:39 PM
lol, I remeber useing our couch as well. Even under the table, or out in the grass or snow. To tell you the truth I could still do it to this day if I wanted. I live in the country with no one around.:evil:

Although I would have to step away from myself and say"What the **** are you doing girl?!?"

Kidhuman
03-23-2003, 08:57 PM
I remember playing with my brother using closets, dressers and everything in between. We used to have one base under the dresser and the drawers were docks for the ships and the closet, which was a decent sized one for the other base and runway.

Originally posted by Amy
Although I would have to step away from myself and say"What the **** are you doing girl?!?"

The key to doing it all over again is having kids. My stepson and I play with figures and use all types of furniture. With kids you don't have to step back and say that. The perfect excuse.

Amy
03-23-2003, 10:36 PM
lol, yeah I want a little boy and a little girl. I would have to force myself not to name them Luke and Leia.:D

stillakid
03-24-2003, 10:50 AM
I used to use the laundry basket (turned upside) for the AT AT.

Jargo
03-24-2003, 01:12 PM
I didn't have any ships so i made my own from cardboard boxes from the grocery store. I even had a crude lighting system made from LEDs. A torch taped up to the inside was the thruster and it had nice wallpaper decor.... don't ask me why i wallpapered the inside of a box that was supposed to look like a spaceship but i did. I must have had a perfectly logical explanation for it back then but..... :stupid:

I had a huge garden to play in and my AT-ST loved geting muddy and getting grit in the mechanism for making the legs 'walk'. I always had trouble finding the ewoks I'd hidden in the undergrowth though. I lost Luke Bespin that way too. Never ever found him although he never went anywhere else. curious.

Kidhuman
03-24-2003, 01:46 PM
My friend lost Han Solo that way Jargo when he was young. One day in his yard his dog came over with the figure in his mouth.

stillakid
03-24-2003, 06:59 PM
I also just remembered creating TIEs, XWings, and a Falcon out of cardboard. That was before I even knew they were making real toys for the movie. Man, that was a long time ago.

DarthQuack
01-16-2011, 10:16 PM
In one word, yes.

mtriv73
01-18-2011, 04:59 PM
In one word, yes.

In the last several years, all the big vehicles have basically doubled as playsets. Now we just need to convince Hasbro to make a Death Star vehicle. (I'd really rather have that than Jabba's Sail Barge.)