PDA

View Full Version : is it over?

Fulit
03-20-2003, 09:58 AM
Ok, I realize the irony of this in light of the recent thread closings, but I just have a question. Are all religious and political thread subjects now off-limits? If not, can they be? The bad thing about a political or religious thread is, just before it gets closed, someone always gets that last word in and it tends to perturb someone with a solid rebuttal. Not to mention the tense feelings it creates between members.
Because you know, you're not going to change anyone's mind, not on a SW forum! All it seems we're doing is ****ing each other off, and there are other, less respectable places on the Net for that.

So consider this a formal request for civility, even if it means compromising our ability to choose the subject we talk about. I have to deal with the world day in and day out, and I come here to escape. I'm guilty here, too, I'll jump in a heated discussion with the quickness, but maybe it's not the best thing for this forum. Who's to say? Sometimes in my family we avoid talking about certain things in order to get along.

I hope everyone understands what I mean, I'm not trying to stir up trouble or anything, just a suggestion. Sorry if this is pouring salt in an open wound, I really just wanted my first question answered.

Did this make any sense, or is my morning coffee betraying my
brain again?

An after thought....I like everyone on these boards, and I like SW, and I'm going to try to stick to innocent subjects here. I'm going out to find a political board to post on and look for some jerks to argue with. Difference of opinion or not, the people here are too cool to be at odds with.

Lord Malakite
03-20-2003, 10:09 AM
They are all off limit now, unless you are discussing religion and politics related to SW of course.

Fulit
03-20-2003, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by Lord_Malakite
They are all off limit now, unless you are discussing religion and politics related to SW of course.

So just don't anger the Seperatists and Loyalists, right? ;)

Lord Malakite
03-20-2003, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by Fulit
So just don't anger the Seperatists and Loyalists, right? ;)
Right. ;)

The Overlord Returns
03-20-2003, 10:20 AM
Why not get rid of the gen. discussion thread altogether then?

Lord Malakite
03-20-2003, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by The Overlord Returns
Because there are other things you can discuss besides politcs and religion. :rolleyes:

The Overlord Returns
03-20-2003, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by Lord_Malakite
Because there are other things you can discuss besides politcs and religion. :rolleyes:

However, if political threads now have to relate to Star wars....shouldn't all of the topics in the general discussion section?

Jargo
03-20-2003, 10:35 AM
:D hehehe :p

I came to the conclusion as well that there are people I enjoy conversing with that I'd rather not be at loggerheads with. they say friends shouldn't ever discuss religion and politics if they want to stay friends. So I'm going to follow Fulit and just not go there with this whole hot potato issue. It's going on all around us and we have that to deal with in the real world so this place should be a place of escape.

Lord Malakite
03-20-2003, 10:53 AM
However, if political threads now have to relate to Star wars....shouldn't all of the topics in the general discussion section?

No.

Just went back and looked over the new rule again. You are allowed to discuss politics & religion for movies in general, not just SW.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
03-20-2003, 11:39 AM
Ahhhhhhh, man, i guess that means those folks who don't EVER leave the General discussion area and talk politics are actually going to have to browse the other forums. That's insane!! Imagine that...talking SW and whatnot at a SW site!! Gimme a sec to take this all in. :D

Emperor Howdy
03-20-2003, 02:28 PM
I agree with Fulit, 100%....and SirSteve's decision. The threads always take a negative turn for the worst with those subjects. What starts as productive discussion ends up a shouting match.....and yes, I realize that my most recent actions are a prime example of that. Before my "48 hour hiatus", I was getting pretty "wrothy" with "things" being said by "people" about certain "things" (I'm trying not to go into any great detail :rolleyes: ). In the most recent thread about "something", I "beset" certain members that I like and have a lot of respect for, namely Jargo. I also started a "rumpus" with stillakid, Twodot, and of course, Overlord. All of which I sincerely apologize for. As for EricRG, I apologize for the way I went about expressing my true feelings for you.

There, that wasn't so bad. :)

On a side note, it's certainly "grand" being amongst my SSG friends again, and to Guyute and Fettfield: Your signatures absolutely brought tears to my eyes.

** Howdy, with tears in eyes, group hugs Guyute and Fettfield while whispering "thanks guys", then quickly pushes them away in case any chicks are looking**

The Overlord Returns
03-20-2003, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by Emperor Howdy
I agree with Fulit, 100%....and SirSteve's decision. The threads always take a negative turn for the worst with those subjects. What starts as productive discussion ends up a shouting match.....and yes, I realize that my most recent actions are a prime example of that. Before my "48 hour hiatus", I was getting pretty "wrothy" with "things" being said by "people" about certain "things" (I'm trying not to go into any great detail :rolleyes: ). In the most recent thread about "something", I "beset" certain members that I like and have a lot of respect for, namely Jargo. I also started a "rumpus" with stillakid, Twodot, and of course, Overlord. All of which I sincerely apologize for. As for EricRG, I apologize for the way I went about expressing my true feelings for you.

There, that wasn't so bad. :)

On a side note, it's certainly "grand" being amongst my SSG friends again, and to Guyute and Fettfield: Your signatures absolutely brought tears to my eyes.

** Howdy, with tears in eyes, group hugs Guyute and Fettfield while whispering "thanks guys", then quickly pushes them away in case any chicks are looking**

Waitaminute...............you were banned?

Why?

And....welcome back. Hell, wouldn't be the same without ya ;)

Jargo
03-20-2003, 03:33 PM
Howdy, I perfectly understand why you lost your rag. I apologise in return for speaking without thinking. There are people here I admire more than people I know in the 'real world' and certainly don't want to have anything ruin online relationships that have grown in the last couple of years. I hope we can put this behind us and continue to converse as friends. :)

"wish I'd never opened my mouth almighty" ~ Elvis Costello

QLD
03-20-2003, 03:51 PM
Yeah Howdy.....I forgive you too......wait.....wait a sec.....we weren't arguing......hmmm......Oh well, i forgot who I argued with.......well, I forgive you for agreeing with me Howdy. :crazed:

derek
03-20-2003, 03:57 PM

well, you guys can still talk about metallica, st. patrick's day, crispin glover, elizabeth smart, personal cleaning habits, and the 4 girls on these forums!!!:D ;) :crazed:

speaking of girls, who's up for a Sir Steve's Beauty Pagent ???:p it will be just like on gilligan's island!:crazed:

Emperor Howdy
03-20-2003, 04:03 PM
....and I, for one, do NOT forgive Caesar's most recent comments about my handicapped aunt. :mad:

(Caesar...I'm sorry, man...I don't know why I find that so funny...:D )

Fulit
03-20-2003, 04:10 PM
Somebody say something negative quickly, before this turns into the feel-good thread of the year!

j/k:p

Jedi_Master_Guyute
03-20-2003, 04:25 PM
Awww, you're very welcome Howdy!! The boards weren't the same without seeing ya around!! Plus, i didn't agree with why you banned and whatnot, but i'm glad it's all in the past!! :D

As for a negative comment: I'm done with finals!! spring break time!!! Concerts!! drinking!! Toys!!!

wait wait, that was positive! damn!! :D

Emperor Howdy
03-20-2003, 04:26 PM
I can't Fulit. I'm like post-biopsy Jack Nicholson at the end of One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. I'm just wandering around the forums drooling.

I'll try though: "Umm...fluffy kittens! Tail-waggin' puppies! Boy Scouts helping little old ladies across the street! Petunias and hopscotch! I love you Mom!"

See Fulit? It's useless. I'm ruined. :zzz:

POOP!

Huh? Who!?! What was that!?!? Is....is....is there possibly some evil left in me!?

jjreason
03-20-2003, 04:59 PM
Im not going to sugar-coat anything here Howdy (especially that poop in your last post). It's good to have you back.

Now get nasty.

Jargo
03-20-2003, 05:18 PM
Hammer time!

Dar' Argol
03-20-2003, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by derek
well, you guys can still talk about metallica, st. patrick's day, crispin glover, elizabeth smart, personal cleaning habits, and the 4 girls on these forums!!!:D ;) :crazed:

speaking of girls, who's up for a Sir Steve's Beauty Pagent ???:p it will be just like on gilligan's island!:crazed:

Not to mention big Spiders, STANSE, How Hot is getting(I can wish for summer right??), and why did Pepsi ever think that Blue crap was good! But any political or religious will be closed as soon as I see them. I have been very leinant in the past, but this new policy will be enforced.

And WOW!!!! We now have 4 girls here now!?!?!?!:eek: :eek:. Its a mass movement!!! Prepare yourselves boyos!!!! he he he:D

2-1B
03-21-2003, 02:12 AM
I've said it before, I'll say it again (except to Howdy's aunt :frus: ) ---

((((gr:)up hug))))

Porcelina
03-21-2003, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by Dar' Argol

And WOW!!!! We now have 4 girls here now!?!?!?!:eek: :eek:. Its a mass movement!!! Prepare yourselves boyos!!!! he he he:

sorry, poopies, this girl's taken ;) ..... i've got me own gorgeous star wars (/movies/comic books/music/anything popculture) geek already! *smooches* :kiss:

and as for the beauty pageant, tis impossible due to lack of photos scanned... i've only got my acting headshots, and those have my name on it, and i prefer secrecy ;) however, if it *was* going to happen, i wonder how many guys would like us all to dress up as slave leia???? hehee
:sur:

Rogue II
03-21-2003, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by derek

*whips out the calculator*
Lets see...4,329 forum members....4 of which are women...

That means there 4,325 Gilligans, Skippers, and Professors (I don't think anyone here can qualify as a Mr. Howell)

*The 1,442 of the Skippers take off their hats and smack their respective Gilligans.*

By the way, if Porcelina has acting headshots, does that automatically make her Ginger?

Dar' Argol will never admit it, but I have a suspect that Hank dresses up as Slave Leia.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
03-21-2003, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by Rogue II
*whips out the calculator*
Lets see...4,329 forum members....4 of which are women...

That means there 4,325 Gilligans, Skippers, and Professors (I don't think anyone here can qualify as a Mr. Howell)

*The 1,442 of the Skippers take off their hats and smack their respective Gilligans.*

By the way, if Porcelina has acting headshots, does that automatically make her Ginger?

Dar' Argol will never admit it, but I have a suspect that Hank dresses up as Slave Leia.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! I think i at least qualify as Professor!!!!! Whoop, gotta stay on topic...Yeah, these political posts were nutty, i'm glad they're over!!!

Phew, that was too close! :D

Jargo
03-21-2003, 02:47 PM
Only four girls? I'm sure the number is greater than that. I count five at just a random memory access from a befuddled old curmudgeons brain like mine. There has to be more than that wandering around. As long as they don't leave lipstick smears on the drinking vessels I don't mind how many there are. ;)

derek
03-21-2003, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by Porcelina
and as for the beauty pageant, tis impossible due to lack of photos scanned... i've only got my acting headshots, and those have my name on it, and i prefer secrecy ;) however, if it *was* going to happen, i wonder how many guys would like us all to dress up as slave leia???? hehee

as for your name, just white it out with "paint brush" or something.:)

as for secrecy, don't all actors wanna be famous? you gotta start somewhere, right?:D

and yes, slave leia outfits are mandatory, but will only count for 49% of your final score!:crazed:

by the way, porcelina, are you a smashing pumpkins fan? they have a song called, "porcelina of the vast oceans".:)

Vortex
03-21-2003, 06:41 PM
...i wonder how many guys would like us all to dress up as slave leia???? hehee

Heh, heh, heh...sweet...

Don't bother me now I'm having a dream sequence....

Ok, I'm back...what's the topic of this thread???

What the h-e double hockey sticks am I doing in this thread...

Dar' Argol
03-24-2003, 06:07 PM
sorry, poopies, this girl's taken ;) ..... i've got me own gorgeous star wars (/movies/comic books/music/anything popculture) geek already! *smooches*:kiss:

Hey, np, so is this SW freak. And BTW, WHAT THE HECK KIND OF NAME IS POOPIES?!?!?! Cause that does not sound very endearing, kidding, heck, even nice at all:p

he he he :D

Originally posted by Rogue II

You know, I've suspected that of Hank for some time now, I found some clothing laying around that was most definitly not my wife's, and I wasn't wearing it that week, . . . er sure where it came from:stupid:

Deoxyribonucleic
03-24-2003, 06:45 PM
I get to be Mary Anne!!!

NOBODY is making me be Mrs. Howell, I'd rather get a sex change! :eek:

What was this topic about anyways??? :confused:

Oh yeah, R and P. Well I agree with Fulit and am glad this site is here for my fav fav favoritist pastime ever! I've had my share of speaking without thinking and apologize here and now, although I did always try to remain nice about stuff, except one time at band camp, when I couldn't hold in my anger arrrrrrrgggg :Pirate: But that's all about being human I suppose, as much as we all try not to be. But like most others, I don't like getting angry in general, so I usually don't and two, especially getting angry at anyone here because we all have an excellent thing in common and this site has really brought together a bunch of people and forged better friendships here as someone said before, than out in the real world. I truly think this is a very unique place and most people here are truly unique and that's why we all hang out! So everyone raise your beer, wine, liquor, coke, blue pepsi (hehe) are what have you and send out a big cheer to all of US who are patrons here and to SSG!

CHEEEERS!!!

:D :D :D :D :D

Porcelina
03-25-2003, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by Dar' Argol
Hey, np, so is this SW freak. And BTW, WHAT THE HECK KIND OF NAME IS POOPIES?!?!?! Cause that does not sound very endearing, kidding, heck, even nice at all:p

he he he :D

sorry... bad habits.... "poohead" is a term of endearment for me, from a long time ago... it's now evolved into various forms, such as "poopies".... it really is a term of endearment, though! ;)

actually, i call my boyfriend "poohead" all the time... although, when he's bad, it turns into "s**thead* hehee

:kiss:

and derek: i'll think about the pic situation... perhaps if everyone is *extra* nice to me, i can make an exception...... especially if someone on here just happens to be an up and coming filmmaker or such......
and i am a huge sp fan... or was, at least until they went all techno-y... and then broke up... poopies! hehe... (see above comment)

Dar' Argol
03-27-2003, 12:52 AM
sorry... bad habits.... "poohead" is a term of endearment for me, from a long time ago... it's now evolved into various forms, such as "poopies".... it really is a term of endearment, though! ;)

actually, i call my boyfriend "poohead" all the time... although, when he's bad, it turns into "s**thead* hehee

:kiss:

Ahhhhhhhhh . . . . . its all becoming clear now. You have issues wit your mother, no?? he he he:D

My favorite word right now it "stupidhead". Picked it up from Lilo and Stitch, and when you do Stitch's voice it makes it even better:D. That and, "I like Fluffy!!"

he he he:D

Emperor Howdy
03-27-2003, 01:24 AM
"Poohead"......"Poohead"....."Pooooooooooohead"......hmmm. You know, that's a really cool name!

FOR ME TO POOP ON!! :crazed:

derek
03-27-2003, 07:34 AM
especially if someone on here just happens to be an up and coming filmmaker or such......

hear that eternal padawan? offer this girl a part in your upcoming film and we get to see a photo!:crazed:

Rogue II
03-27-2003, 07:41 AM
If anyone here made films, I figured it would be Howdy.

Oh, you're not talking about home movies. Nevermind.

Dar' Argol
03-27-2003, 09:20 PM
Now why did you go and do that, now I gotta step into my Mod Suit.

Dar' steps behind a partition

ZIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIPPPP!!!!

In super big Mod Voice

Now tone it back a bit ppl. Your getting close to that no-no line

ZZZZIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIPP!!

Whew, that's better:D

Jargo
03-27-2003, 09:59 PM
DAR, you wanna try and get the right suit before doin' the moderator bit. That's the latex rubber outfit you got on there. fetching - but no... :sur: :eek: :stupid: ;)

now, who's for pressed flower arranging...? anyone, any takers? how about a little macrame then.....

hello, hello-oooo, anyone...........................?

I made cookies............ :(

notafinga
04-03-2003, 02:13 AM
i actually browsed by to see what you guys were all saying about the war and such. The varying opinions intrigue me although i rarely chyme in, but this time around i had some thoughts formulated and info to impart.
Oh, well, the foam leaping and spittle laden insults were never too cool...

The Overlord Returns
04-03-2003, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by notafinga
i actually browsed by to see what you guys were all saying about the war and such. The varying opinions intrigue me although i rarely chyme in, but this time around i had some thoughts formulated and info to impart.
Oh, well, the foam leaping and spittle laden insults were never too cool...

We don't talk about that anymore......if we do...Sirsteve and JT take us out back to the shed for a "whoopin" ;)