PDA

View Full Version : Did the darksiders know what they were doing when they were cutting off limbs?

scruffziller
03-21-2003, 11:22 AM
I had neard that the more of your body that is missing, the more the dark side will take ahold of you. Did Palpy, Vader, and Dooku have this in mind when fighting light side Jedi. Obi said it best too. MORE machine now than man, twisted and evil. And if my theory is correct, this drawing of Anikin will make that all too relevant. Fallen Anikin (http://cgi.theforce.net/theforce/fanart/imageFolio.cgi?action=view&link=Prequels/Episode_3&image=th-anakinep3-02.jpg&img=176&tt=)

Amy
03-21-2003, 06:46 PM
That is the freakiest looking drawling I have EVER seen. And I dont know, you could have a point there.....:sur:

LTBasker
03-21-2003, 07:40 PM
I dunno, that picture looks kinda of screwed up, with no heart (there obviously is none) he would cease to live entirely. Those few tubes could not make up the equivelent of a heart even with advanced technology, they would need more to it.

And err, where's his 3PO hand?

Beast
03-21-2003, 07:49 PM
Anakin isn't missing nearly that much of his total body. You can tell from seeing parts of his skeleton from the lightning strikes by The Emperor. Lucas has said in interviews that both legs are gone though. That's probably more from falling in lava though, then from lightsaber wounds. Of course, that's if the lava thing still is planned. :)

However, in an interview with Bill Moyers in the 25 April 1999 issue of TIME, George Lucas gave an explicit and decisive statement of Lord Vader's general condition. Thus it appears that his legs and arms are indeed entirely artificial.

"Darth Vader was half machine, half man, and that's where he lost a lot of his humanity. He has mechanical legs. He has mechanical arms. He's hooked up to a breathing machine."
http://www.theforce.net/swtc/injuries.html

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

The 'Xir
03-22-2003, 12:29 AM
Ummmm maybe it's me, but I don't think the artist was trying to draw the full concept of what Anakin would look like, and he just focused on what you're seeing, to give a general impression! Which I'll admit still would be wrong as mentioned above seeing as his right arm was severed just above the elbow!

Let me straighten this out also!: If the whole lava thing holds up, get real people; he's not going to fall into molten lava. :rolleyes: No one could survive that, don't care if it's fiction or not! Most likely you'd see Anakin fall over an edge and land on solid ground in a volcano pit or crevase, with possibly lava flamming and bubbling in the background for dramatic effect! The ground he falls on can be just as hot to cause any serious damage needed, maybe lucas can throw in some small steam vents wherever he lands(once again for screen effect)!
I tell ya what, go boil some water in a kettle, and once it whistles open the cap and put your hand over the steam, get back to me about how long you were able to handle the pain before you had to take your hand away! :stupid: Now go jump in a volcano!

Thank you very much! :rolleyes:

mini-rock
03-22-2003, 12:36 AM
In the Visual Dictionary it gives a pretty good description of what parts have been replaced. His neck vertebra has been replaced with metal, his chest of course is badly injured, cybernetic replacement internal organs, artificial cyborg lower arm (right arm which we saw cut off in AOTC) and armored boots binding cyborg elements to flesh.

:)

Beast
03-22-2003, 12:38 AM
We and noone else, ever said complete submersion into lava. The lack of a charred and crispy face attests to the fact the lava didn't get that far. The fact that he has ribs in his chest, when the lightning strikes, also suggests the lava didn't even reach his waist. That doesn't mean he didn't fall into a volcano and have his legs destroyed in the molten lava. :)

His left arm is fully gone, so that's likely due to Obi-Wan's lightsaber blade. The same with the 2 head slashes. So we're not saying he's gonna go swimming in lava. But having his legs destroyed or severly damaged by landing on the edge of the pool of lava is plausible. Remeber, this isn't spoilers. These are just extrapolations from the info we do have. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

mini-rock
03-22-2003, 12:46 AM
IMO the whole lava thing could hold up. We have people who can push or pull objects, and kill with their mind for God sakes. In the Visual Dictionary it also says "Vader's injuries occured in a battle against his former teacher Obi-Wan Kenobi" so if GL decides to have him fall halfway into a pit of lava as part of that then cool.:)

LTBasker
03-22-2003, 12:51 AM
JJ, actually in a post on here of the original lava story, it says that Anakin fully submerges within the lava and that is why Obi-Wan leaves him. Then Palpy comes along and somehow gets him out.

Frankly that is poodoo, if he does fall in lava he should probably be on his knees with a hand in there trying to to reach for something to grab on. As to why Obi would leave him if he were still alive, well that story wouldn't hold up because he'd help him out.

TheDarthVader
03-22-2003, 12:35 PM
I have always heard about the power to heal that both light side and dark side jedi should posess. We have yet to see this... do you think palpy uses his power to help heal some parts of anakin? After all, he is a dark side master.

mini-rock
03-22-2003, 01:12 PM
Well we know that both Palpy and Vader use the force to sustain their bodies. Palpy uses it to prolong his life, and Vader for his badly damaged body. I guess in a way that could be considered the force healing. But it would be cool to see it used on film on someone who is badly injured.

Hopefully we do get to see Anakin fully submerged in lava, and that's it. No pulling himself out or someone coming to rescue him.

TheDarthVader
04-01-2003, 05:41 PM
I think Palpy will use the dark side of the force to help "heal" him. Because we have yet to see this in the sw movies and it would be cool and we need to see another deomonstration of palpy's power.

PoggleTheGreater
04-01-2003, 06:32 PM
B'Omarr monks are reduced to brains, and I don't think they became more evil. I think Dukoo regreted severing Anikin's arm by his facial expression. I guess he knows of Sidious's plan for him.

TheDarthVader
04-02-2003, 03:10 PM
In response to the original question, I do not think they knew "what they were doing" when they were cutting off limbs. As described in one of the SW Insider mags, lightsaber combat can teach a fighter to cut off a limb as a "tactical" move to disarm the combatant. And besides, palpy is the most evil and he is not missing any parts, to our knowledge, that is...

The 'Xir
04-02-2003, 09:56 PM
Are you guys kidding me? With all the whinning that went on especially with TPM and Anakin's suppossedly "unbelieveable" events like blowing up the control ship, you guys are trying to pass off this whole lava thing as believable let alone credible?! You guys are killing me, it would be the most unbelieveable thing to be shown on screen!
And JJ, I go back to my kettle on the stove scenario, If someone's legs were dangling in a lava pool, their head which might be what 4ft away from the edgde, would feel the incredible heat comming from the lava! And being lava, and not steam from a kettle on a stove, the whole body would just vaporize!
I mean we're talking about lava here people, the stuff that comes from the core/center of the earth boiling away under intense pressure with the destructive and universal power to create land masses or whole planets for that matter!!! :rolleyes: Whatever!

Amy
04-03-2003, 04:24 AM
Originally posted by The 'Xir
Are you guys kidding me? With all the whinning that went on especially with TPM and Anakin's suppossedly "unbelieveable" events like blowing up the control ship, you guys are trying to pass off this whole lava thing as believable let alone credible?! You guys are killing me, it would be the most unbelieveable thing to be shown on screen!
And JJ, I go back to my kettle on the stove scenario, If someone's legs were dangling in a lava pool, their head which might be what 4ft away from the edgde, would feel the incredible heat comming from the lava! And being lava, and not steam from a kettle on a stove, the whole body would just vaporize!
I mean we're talking about lava here people, the stuff that comes from the core/center of the earth boiling away under intense pressure with the destructive and universal power to create land masses or whole planets for that matter!!! :rolleyes: Whatever!

So everything else in Star Wars IS credible? How would that be harder to believe then Rancors,Taun Tauns,Yoda,Chewie,two red suns,Jabba the Hutt,space ships,explosions in space,the Force...should I go on?

Its Star Wars, nothing is "believable let alone credible", and thats what draws me towards it.

Beast
04-03-2003, 05:29 AM
Star Wars is fantasy. It requires a suspension of disbelief, just like most fantasy. Same with Lord of the Rings. Unless you enjoy beating yourself in the head because the "One Ring" doesn't make Sauron invisible. But it does everyone else. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

derek
04-07-2003, 09:30 AM
remember in "the temple of doom" when one of the human sacrifices was lowered into the lava pit? he burst into flames about 20 feet from the lava, but when mrs. speilburg was lowered down, she didn't catch on fire?

i could expect something similar in episode 3.

maybe anakin will fall, obi wan will grab his hand, and only anakin's legs get burned off, then obi wan pull him out.:)

PoggleTheGreater
04-07-2003, 09:34 AM
Where exactly did this lava backstory originally come from anyway?

scruffziller
04-07-2003, 10:06 AM
The ROTJ novel. It was going to be told in the movie but it was removed from the script. The novels were produced before the movie was completed. It is also where the concept of Obi being Lars' brother.

PoggleTheGreater
04-07-2003, 10:17 AM
Thanks

scruffziller
04-07-2003, 10:19 AM
No prob.