PDA

View Full Version : Toyfare Magazine on "The Nightmare Before Empire"

Lman316
11-14-2001, 07:40 AM
I don't know if anyone has seen this yet, but Toyfare magazine has a story on the never-released figures from the Star Wars Holiday Special. Apparently, these are right from a Kenner catalog.
These figures are listed: Itchy, Lumpy, Malla, Chewbacca in Life Day Robes, Chef Gormaanda, Holographic WOW, Ackmena, Saundan, The Ringleader and from his first ever appearance (Toyfare says that Boba Fett's first appearance was in the animated short during the Holiday Special) Boba Fett with Dragon.
If you haven't seen this yet, I would recommend reading it. Toyfare gives some very humorous commentary about the Special and shows some great photos of the would-be toys.

Rollo Tomassi
11-14-2001, 08:20 PM
hmmmm, I've seen the Wookie family figures before, but not the others I don't think (I may have blocked them from memory like eye molestation) so I may have to pick this up and check it out...

Wolfwood319
11-16-2001, 09:41 PM
Quite frankly, I don't want to know of would-be figures from the Holiday Special. Its a toy line I could do without. The mere thought of remanants of that monstrosity in toy form gives a cold chill down my back.

sith_killer_99
11-17-2001, 12:07 PM
Toyfare also goes on to say that GL himself refuses to aknowledge or comment on the "Holiday Special"! If I were him I would take it a step farther, all employees of ILM, LFL, etc. would have to sign a disclaimer, whereby ALL employees MUST refuse to aknowledge it's existance under threat of LAWSUIT!

Thankfully I have never viewed this lump of film myself.:D

I would, however, LOVE to own the Muppet special with Mark Hamil, Carrie Fisher, and Harrison Ford!;)

evenflow
11-17-2001, 12:40 PM
I don't know, as silly as the Holiday Special was, I am a fan of it. I have seen pics of the Wookie family, but none of the others. I have to go out and buy Toyfare is it's true.

Magnolia-Fan
11-17-2001, 05:38 PM
I'll need to get that issue.

Did they have photos of the figures? If not, here's the family prototypes...

As a sidenote, I remember seeing an issue of toyfare a while back where somebody had customized a SWHS toy.
They took the cantina showdown three pack, took Obi-wan out and replaced him with a customized Bea Arthur figure who was dancing with Walrus Man.
The package was then altered to say "Cantina Hoe-Down."

GNT
11-17-2001, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by Lman316
These figures are listed: Itchy, Lumpy, Malla, Chewbacca in Life Day Robes, Chef Gormaanda, Holographic WOW, Ackmena, Saundan, The Ringleader and from his first ever appearance (Toyfare says that Boba Fett's first appearance was in the animated short during the Holiday Special) Boba Fett with Dragon.

Any pictures of these?

darth chuck
11-19-2001, 12:38 AM
You know, they advertised the holiday special for weeks before it aired back in '78 or '79? As a kid, I was so pumped to see it. And I must honestly say that even as a 10 year old, I was very disappointed. Though the word "sucked" was not yet in my vocabulary, I'm sure that if it was, that is the term I would have used to describe it.

bigbarada
11-22-2001, 05:19 PM
I saw this issue yesterday and the pictures they provide from the "actual Kenner catalog" are totally fake! For one, this catalog is supposed to be dated 1978, but they have pictures of Luke Stormtrooper and Yakface in the background. Those two weren't made until 1985! The Art Carney figure is an obviously customized Rancor Keeper and Lumpy is a customized Ewok. This is either a joke or somebody really pulled one over on Toyfare!:mad:

stillakid
11-22-2001, 09:28 PM
I don't know, I was celebrating Life Day last year and ....

:sur:

GNT
11-22-2001, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by bigbarada
I saw this issue yesterday and the pictures they provide from the "actual Kenner catalog" are totally fake

Do you have any pictures?

darth chuck
11-27-2001, 09:44 PM
Hey Big Barada! Great catch. We just got Toyfare over here yesterday, so I just saw these pics. I noticed the same thing!

Boba Fett is obviously repainted, and you can tell they used sculpey on Chef Gormaandan, Holographic Wow and Ackmena.

Plus, the big stuffed rat sitting with snaggletooth kind of gives it away as well.

I think someone pulled one over on Toyfare.

Wolfwood319
11-28-2001, 12:19 AM
It wouldn't be the first time. Although they do stuff like this in their April issue for "April Fools." This however is not April I'm afraid.

I think kenner, smelling the turd that was the holiday special, flushed all evidence of a possible line.

Sith Worm
11-28-2001, 08:12 PM
This is wild. I saw the HS for the first time last night Jedicole slipped me A copy, and da** him for it! It will be at least a week before my brain remembers how to function properly. It's like SW on crack I can't believe they even fathomed A toy line. What kind of name is Itchy couldn't they have found a better name I mean anything...

Taichi
04-12-2002, 01:34 PM
Hmm, I used to have the Holiday Special in Quicktime format....

it's pretty damn lame.....but the Boba Fett Cartoon is actually good (This coming from a fan who HATES Boba Fett)......great animation for its time, and for once Boba Fett actually DID something!!!

BanthaPoodoo
04-12-2002, 01:37 PM
You can get it right now in the alt.binaries.starwars newsgroup.

bigbarada
04-13-2002, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Taichi
Hmm, I used to have the Holiday Special in Quicktime format....

it's pretty damn lame.....but the Boba Fett Cartoon is actually good (This coming from a fan who HATES Boba Fett)......great animation for its time, and for once Boba Fett actually DID something!!!

You mean screaming like a girl as he flew into the sarlaac pit wasn't enough to convince you of his greatness?;)