PDA

View Full Version : Boba Fett's First Appearance Ever.

Lman316
11-14-2001, 08:45 AM
I was reading the newest issue of Toyfare magazine, and they have a story on the figures from the Star Wars Holiday Special. They also show a picture of Boba Fett with a Dragon, and in the commentary, Toyfare says that Boba Fett's first appearance was, I'll quote here: "in the animated short stuck in the middle of the Holiday Special. Despite being animated in the wretched Droids style, the story and Boba Fett were marginally cool enough that it kept millions of Star Wars fans from committing mass suicide".
Anyone remember this? Was the Holiday Special that bad?

Rollo Tomassi
11-14-2001, 09:11 AM
God yes, it was. JT even thinks it was worse than EP I and he HATES EP I. Imagine sad tired 70's sitcom stars like Bea Arthur and Art Carney as characters in the Star Wars Universe. I don't even think Bea Arthur bothered to play a character. It was just her in a big orange muu-muu playing bartender at the cantina. Then they all jump up for a big song and dance number. Same goes for Art Carney (who actually had a character with a name and everything) who was slumming around Chewbacca's house with Chewie's family. Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, and even mark Hamill look embarrased to be there. Theres some crappy new wave dance numbers that look straight out of the 70's and then Carrie sings some christmas carol thing to the tune of Star Wars. Ugh. Gouge your eyes out now. If you really want to watch it, it'll be coming out on DVD with the original trilogy in 2006. i'm kidding. Head over to e-bay or go to a comic or sci-fi convention and you can probably find a bootleg fairly easy. Just don't say I didn't warn you...:cry: :cry: :cry: :dead:

Lman316
11-14-2001, 09:19 AM
No, I don't think I would want to watch it. Toyfare agrees with what you just said, saying: "It exists only as bootleg tapes sold at Cons, but you shouldn't buy it. It's not "funny bad". It's claw your own eyeballs bad", which is what I think you just said.
There's even a quote here (although it says "attributed to") "If I had the time and energy, I would smash every copy of it with a hammer" - George Lucas.

Starfig873
11-14-2001, 12:04 PM
I was actually "lucky" enought to finally see the holiday special. Lordy, lordy it was bad. But I still am happy I saw it....

El Chuxter
11-14-2001, 12:10 PM
I've never seen it, but I've heard from several people that many scenes are taken directly from ANH, like the Falcon flying through space. Also, the scenes of Vader talking to the captain of the Devastator and Bast are reused and obviously overdubbed.

I do know the Wookiee costumes look like they cost $0.35 to make. :D

And yes, it's only available on pirated VHS. :Pirate: ARRRRRRRRRRRRGH!!!

Wolfwood319
11-14-2001, 12:34 PM
Actually, the only tolerable part of it all was the Boba Fett cartoon. The worst in my opinion was that Jefferson Starship song in the middle, talk about 70's.

Arghhhh............

I'm sorry for bringing it up

Jargo
11-14-2001, 03:54 PM
After watching th-th-th-th-e holiday s-s-s-special I recieved some th-th-therapy and now I'm alm-m-m-most okay.
I have a cushion that has tear m-m-marks where I ch-ch-ewed it to shreds as I cringed while B-B-ea Arthur sang and the dialogue took f-f-f-f-forever to get to the next segment. L-lumpy the youngest Wookiee still gives me n-n-nightmares.......

Notice how Peter Mayhew seems to really like the holiday special?
The same way Jeremy Bulloch seems to be obsessed with Boba Fett. I think there's a psychological scarring thing going on there.
Maybe as fans we should club together to send them in for rehab treatment...... :Pirate: ARRRR!

bigbarada
11-14-2001, 07:11 PM
I watched it with my three year old nephew, who loved it, by the way; but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone looking for a worthwhile addition to Star Wars cannon.

It seems like the director (GL's name appears nowhere in the credits) had 10 minutes of story to fill a two hour special. As a result there are many uncomfortable silences and huge gaps between parts of the dialog.

I'd say watch it just to see that ANH was strong enough to carry the saga through this lowest of lows.

Sith Worm
11-14-2001, 07:47 PM
I have been collecting SW for A few years and have never seen the HS, JediCole won't let me...
...and after what you all have said i think better of him for it...

JJ

JediTricks
11-15-2001, 12:18 AM
It is bad in a different way than Ep 1, but they're now on the same level for me. The holiday special is a "must see" as a curiosity, it's the last time you'll see the original Luke Skywalker's face before it's mangled in a car wreck weeks before ESB was to begin shooting. Oh, and Carrie Fisher (as Leia) sings... words to the Star Wars main theme! :sur: :cry: :dead:

Chux, the Chief Bast & Vader scene in the Holiday Special isn't a reuse since it was cut from ANH, so the stupid Holiday Special actually has cut scenes from ANH.
:Pirate:

hamsterboy
11-15-2001, 01:46 AM
Thank God I haven't seen it yet. Nor do I have any intention of doing so.

GNT
11-15-2001, 03:07 AM
Let us NEVER speak of this again!

Rollo Tomassi
11-15-2001, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by GNT
Let us NEVER speak of this again!

Agreed. Let us speak instead of beautiful women like Eliza Dushku and Leeanna Walsman...

El Chuxter
11-15-2001, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by JediTricks
Chux, the Chief Bast & Vader scene in the Holiday Special isn't a reuse since it was cut from ANH, so the stupid Holiday Special actually has cut scenes from ANH.

Uh oh. . . I hear a BSLOS coming on:
"Tommy used to work on the docks
Union's been on strike, he's down on his luck
It's tough, so tough."

Wait! That's a GSLOS! I've been tricked! :Pirate: ARRRRRR!

Seriously, though, now that you mention ANH cut scenes, I recall hearing that the chase scene between the short guy in the cantina ("Flash Gordon") and the tall guy shows up in the Holiday Special, right?

JediTricks
11-16-2001, 07:59 AM
yeah, that's right, I had totally forgotten about "lil' flash gordon" being used in the Unholyday Special. This scene would have felt SO out of place in ANH, right along with Leia, Luke, and Han running up behind officers on the Death Star and then whistling like cartoon characters.

JEDIpartner
11-16-2001, 04:05 PM
I remember tuning into this slapdash debacle and wondering what the H3LL I had just seen after the two hours were over! I think I was around 11 years old and I was more scarred mentally than Mark Hamill was scarred physically shortly thereafter. What the heck was with all that make-up he was wearing???

I remember Carrie singing and just sort of standing there looking all coked out. Very sad... hey- does anyone know the words to the "Life Day Carol" that caused many Wookiees to die soon afterward?

The cartoon really was the most memorable thing. I was left thinking that it would be so cool if they had made a weekly Saturday morning show out of it... about 7 years later we got "Droids" and "Ewoks"... whatever. :frus: