PDA

View Full Version : How could Threepio forget about the comlink?

2-1B
03-23-2003, 12:28 AM
"I forgot I turned it off."

Threepio was never even close to forgetting any of those 6 million forms of communication he liked to boast of . . . so how could a droid "forget" that he turned off the comlink while wondering aloud what was happening to his new master?

I'm sure he turned it off to keep any nearby Death Star personnel from overhearing the rebels, but I think it's silly that he could forget he turned it off. :rolleyes:

mini-rock
03-23-2003, 03:04 AM
I dunno, good question though. Like how could he forget who princess Leia was? That's 3-PO though, flaky.:)

Pendo
03-23-2003, 05:41 AM
It's Anakin's fault, he made him!

3PO probably forgets about the comlink the same way he forgets that Darth Vader is "the Maker", or that Luke and his creator have the same surname :rolleyes:.

PENDO!

scruffziller
03-23-2003, 09:57 AM
I think he has a bad short term memory and is mentally crippled by exitable situations.

stillakid
03-23-2003, 02:35 PM
Isn't there a dent in his noggin?

darthvyn
03-23-2003, 04:39 PM
maybe there's a difference between programmed knowledge and actively learned info. the AI that runs the droids might not be as advanced and well written as we think.

maybe shoddy construction. he was made from junk parts, after all... not all those parts could've been salvagable. maybe when anakin found them, but after 40 years of operation, something found in the junkyard is bound to go bad...

JediTricks
03-23-2003, 06:14 PM
3PO's language skills are hardwired into the basis of his programming, the commlink was just a situational piece of data that was added in the heat of tense times. If 3PO were a fully-logical, digital program, then there is no way he could "forget" something like the commlink without there being a program error. However, we don't know if Star Wars droids are programming based on digital code, but we do know that they have complex tasks and emotions to help them cope. As humans here on Earth, there is currently no way we can make a robot that could function even 1/10th the way C-3PO does, his tasks involve taking in and processing an enormous amount of data at all times and making difficult decisions based on that data and prior experience, all in a very short time. It seems to me that with all that stuff going on, 3PO could simply forget about turning it back on - it's not like leaving a leg behind by accident. Heck, the guy just pulled the wool over those stormtroopers' eyes and got away with it, he had plenty on his mind.

mini-rock, 3PO didn't actually forget who Leia was, he was being untruthful with Luke because he wasn't supposed to disclose any information about this important rebel leader to strangers. He was, as they say, "playing dumb".

darthvyn
03-23-2003, 07:25 PM
he's also programmed to talk in a manner similar to "humans" so if there was a glitch in the program, or his programming didn't make the necessary connection to the commlink and finding luke, he would use the "human" phrase "i forgot" as opposed to "there was a general page fault in block 1138 pertaining to subject 'commlink' and action 'turn on' resulting in not finding subject 'luke."

JediTricks
03-23-2003, 07:38 PM
Star Wars would have looked a lot different if 3PO had uttered:

C-3PO: 404 Error - Commlink Not Found:D

mini-rock
03-23-2003, 08:27 PM
JT, that's right. I forgot about that little bit on how 3-PO meant not to tell Luke the truth about Leia. Thanks for the reminder. Was that from SW.com?

Deoxyribonucleic
03-23-2003, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by mini-rock
JT, that's right. I forgot about that little bit on how 3-PO meant not to tell Luke the truth about Leia. Thanks for the reminder. Was that from SW.com?

It's from the Original Radio Drama, which rocks if you ever get a chance to listen to it! It's also available in a book, as a script...but definitely not as cool as the ORD! Hey I just thought of something...

SWORD = Star Wars Original Radio Drama

HAHAHA, so clever

:rolleyes: at self!

darthvyn
03-23-2003, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by JediTricks
C-3PO: 404 Error - Commlink Not Found

or howabout

C-3PO: applet "find luke" failed to start. must download codec... contacting download site... codec not found... do you want to send microsoft an error report? send report...

Jayspawn
03-23-2003, 11:53 PM
To defend 3PO while sticking to the movie. He seemed occupied with the search and hadn't used the commlink for a while.

There you go.

JediTricks
03-25-2003, 10:50 PM
Hmm, interesting Jayspawn. Is it possible that 3PO, and all SW droids, is hardwired to save the batteries on electronic devices and this is the culprit to the question provided before us? :D