PDA

View Full Version : Do you think Count Dooku and Darth Tyranus are the same person?

Fulit
11-14-2001, 11:49 AM
I mean, just because the same actor plays them doesn't mean anything. I bet one of them is a clone of the other, yeah that's it.

I'm sorry, I'm blatantly poking fun at the fact that there are still people left who don't think Sidious is gonna wind up being Palpatine.:D Forgive me, please, this wasn't directed at anyone in particular, just something I had to get off my chest. Thank You and goodnight..........

Rollo Tomassi
11-14-2001, 02:20 PM
All the Sith have benign alter egos except Maul.

Senator Palpatine IS Darth Sidious

Count Dooku IS Darth Tyranus

Anakin Skywalker IS Darth Vader

So who the hell was Maul? Bob, the Corellian chuba Vendor? All will be revealed in Episode 0 (the prequel to the prequels)...

:Pirate: Ahoy ye landlubbers! Yearghh!

master jedi
11-14-2001, 04:30 PM
I don't think they all have alter egos. Sidious/Palpatine had an alter ego because he wanted to gain power in the senate. He couldn't gain power with his good alter ego.

I think when a person becomes a Sith they abandon their old names and take on a Sith name. i.e. Darth *whatever* Vader abandoned his old name, Anakin Skywalker, when he became a Sith. If you will remember in RotJ when Luke brought up to Vader that his true name was Anakin, Vader said that that name had no use or meaning to him.

Dooku and Tyranus are the same person. Dooku is a fallen Jedi. When he became a Sith he dropped the name Count Dooku and took on the name Darth Tyranus.

Jargo
11-14-2001, 07:17 PM
But Count Dooku is a renegade who still has dealings with the senate chamber. He may have left the Jedi holier than thou order but he's still an active player in political manouevres. he still sits in council with other politicians at the debating tables. Darth Tyranus is his alter Ego for his less than public dealings and cloak and dagger manouevres. he is the agent of Lord Sidious. He takes the role of Action man and executioner for Sisious who wouldn't want to get his hands dirty or be linked in any way to nefarious activities. Palpatine needs his alter ego to further his standing in the galaxy. To remain anonymous in dealings with species like the Neimoidians and Kaminoans and Geonosians. But Sidious can't be there at these other places so he uses his senate pal Dooku to go in his place as Tyranus.
Anyone contacting the Jedi protectorate with regards to business dealings of Sidious or Tyranus would be hard pushed to link the two politicians to their alter egos. Especially if Dooku has the same cloaking device on his ship that Maul had. How do you trace a cloaked ship?

Darth Maul needed no real name as he served no other purpose but to kick Jedi butt. he had no public life to speak of and wasn't a known character owing to the fact that Palpatine had spirited him away and trained him in some remote region away from prying eyes. His tattoos also hid any hint of who he had been before. It also wouldn't have moved the story on to have too much explained about Maul pointlessly. With him being used so littl there was no need for a huge amount of exposition regarding his history and origins. Dooku is a known factor who is trouble for the senate with his group of political seperatists. That's why we know more about him and why he is much more of a significant player.

JediTricks
11-14-2001, 11:42 PM
Darth Maul's alter ego was Zippy the Pinhead. ;)

Not that I believe Palpatine and Sidious are 2 different people, but is it a rule that 2 different characters in the same Star Wars movie played by the same actor MUST be the same character in disguise?

- Kenny Baker played R2-D2 and Paploo in ROTJ, therefore, R2-D2 is secretly an Ewok?

- Warwick Davis played Wald, Yoda, and Frank Grimes in Ep 1, therefore, Wald makes a bet with Watto, wins, and gets to wear a Yoda costume?

- Jeremy Bulloch plays Boba Fett and Imperial officer Sheckil, therefore Boba Fett and Sheckil are the Star Wars equivelants of Batman and Bruce Wayne?

heh sorry. ;)

Co Jo-Da
11-14-2001, 11:53 PM
Count Dooku is a large part of the unrest within the Republic leading up to and within AotC. As the leader of a group known as the 'Confederace' (including the Trade Federation), which is trying to break away from the Republic. This effort has being secretly set-up and orginized by Lord Sidious (whom we know is Palpatine, but not confirmed on screen yet).

Plus, if anyone was lucky enough to read the section of Episode II's script afew months back, it went kinda like this:

After his battle with Obi-Wan, Anakin and Yoda on Geonosian Darth Tyranus (Count Dooku) meets up with Lord Sidious (Palpatine) on Coruscent. Saying something like, (Tyranus) "I have succeeded my Lord, the war has begun." Lord Sidious Smiles and the scene ends.

It was something like that, I can't remember everything from the report.

Fulit
11-15-2001, 12:55 AM
The "same actor" issue is not the only reason they are the same person in the movie.

GNT
11-15-2001, 02:02 AM
Originally posted by Fulit
I'm sorry, I'm blatantly poking fun at the fact that there are still people left who don't think Sidious is gonna wind up being Palpatine.:D Forgive me, please, this wasn't directed at anyone in particular, just something I had to get off my chest. Thank You and goodnight..........

Until its proven in the MOVIE THAT THEY ARE THE SAME PERSON,they are 2 different People!

Tycho
11-15-2001, 06:20 AM
SPOILER ALERT:

Well I read somewhere that JarJar was indeed actually JarJar.

and Zippy the Pinhead has a website at www.zippythepinhead.com

Check it out!

Fulit
11-15-2001, 11:28 AM
What is up? Before I posted this I thought most people on here thought Palpatine/Sidious were the same person. Now everyone says he's not. To me it seems fairly obvious, but most of you seem to be looking for some twist that I don't think is going to be there. I just think it is going to be really lame if Sidious is a clone or vice versa. To me it makes nothing but perfect sense that, on the surface, this Palpatine is a straight dealing dude, but behind the scenes, he's got stuff going his way.

If Palpatine is not Sidious, why so many clues to that direction in E1? The pan over to Palpatine after Mace says, "which was destroyed, the master or apprentice", the fact that they wear the same broach, etc.

And the biggest one of all, why did Lucas say, concering Palpatine in E1, "the first time you see him in E1 is in hologram form, the same way you saw him first in ESB"?

JediTricks
11-16-2001, 07:26 AM
Originally posted by Fulit
What is up? Before I posted this I thought most people on here thought Palpatine/Sidious were the same person. Now everyone says he's not. To me it seems fairly obvious, but most of you seem to be looking for some twist that I don't think is going to be there. I just think it is going to be really lame if Sidious is a clone or vice versa. To me it makes nothing but perfect sense that, on the surface, this Palpatine is a straight dealing dude, but behind the scenes, he's got stuff going his way.

If Palpatine is not Sidious, why so many clues to that direction in E1? The pan over to Palpatine after Mace says, "which was destroyed, the master or apprentice", the fact that they wear the same broach, etc.

And the biggest one of all, why did Lucas say, concering Palpatine in E1, "the first time you see him in E1 is in hologram form, the same way you saw him first in ESB"? I think some folks are just too desparate for a "big surprise" like "Darth Vader is Luke's Father" and "Leia is Luke's brother", but those 2 were literally out of left field, there were no clues in the movie before them while in Ep 1, there are a bunch of clues about Sidious and Palpatine being the same guy (because they are).

Co Jo-Da
11-16-2001, 10:45 AM
The fact of the matter is that Count Dooku is Darth Tyranus just like Palpatine is Sidious and if you've seen the Forbiddin Love Trailer yet, he looks AWESOME...:eek: