PDA

View Full Version : Advertising to anti-war protesters?

JediTricks
03-23-2003, 05:29 PM
Yesterday in my neighborhood, there was a somewhat large anti-war protest that took up Hollywood blvd. Passing by on Sunset to take care of my standard business of the day, I noticed in the air several news helicopters hovering, nothing new there - and then I noticed it: a large red blimp advertising the new Saturn Ion. At first I thought they might have been there to hover over the Oscar location a day early, but the person I was with told me that another advertising blimp had been over the demonstration in Hollywood last month! What the björk is that about?!? Do advertising agencies feel that protesters might stop their chanting, look up, and think to themselves "war is evil, but the new Saturn Ion is a benevolent force that takes no sides on the issue and thus deserves my patronage"? Granted, they are a gathered audience that won't be able to get away from your advertising very quickly, but it seems to me that some of these people will end up taking this as a mockery to their message and specifically avoid the product being advertised.

darthvyn
03-23-2003, 06:09 PM
political...

THREAD CLOSED

;) :happy:

i'm not surprised by this in the least. we've got plenty of advertising bracketing the war footage, so there might as well be advertising for the people who aren't watching...

Jargo
03-23-2003, 06:13 PM
Um, yeah. I guess so. product placement is everywhere. I hear tell that one of the larger shoe companies is using kids to sell their product. Getting kids to sign up to a deal where the company makes shoes with the kids name on them like a logo, like a sports star might have, then the kid has to sell the shoes to friends and aquaintances to qualify for the deal. Okay so it's not the same as advertising to protestors but it's the same kind of madness. The kids in question are starting as young as six years old. Six year olds being used by large companies as salesmen. Absolutely nuts! Advertising is everywhere though regardless of blatantly flying a blimp to a location of civil unrest or not. All the carrier bags from stores that people haul round every day advertise the store or the product but nine times out of ten you 'the customer' pay for the privilige of carrying the bag with the advertising on it. every pair of levi jeans is carrying the brand so in a way that too is advertising or product placement. I think they call it situation placement now though this taking of products and having people seel the stuff for the company rather than rely on the stores or regular means of making a sale. So you might go to a party at a frat house and have some guy come up and try to sell you designer beers with his name on but made by Budweiser or something. It's just getting into everything now, scripted into all the tv shows like crime dramas where they name the products, so instead of saying training shoe they'll name the brand and the type of showe and what the shoe is designed to do. Just blatant advertising beyond simple product placement.

As far as the blimp goes. I guess some companies feel they can handle negative feedback if the blaze of publicity the stunt will perhaps get adds to sales from other sources. These stunts tend to stick in peoples minds and suddenly you'll find yourself thinking about the product and wonder why...

QLD
03-23-2003, 06:27 PM
a blimp????

OH THE HUMANITY!!!!!!!!!!!

stillakid
03-23-2003, 06:57 PM
You know those concrete tire stopper things you find in parking lots? My local SavOn Drugs has movie ads on all of those now. I'm thinking of renting out my forehead.

jobi
03-23-2003, 09:29 PM
Here's some war advertising for you guys.....

DarthBrandon
03-23-2003, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by jobi
Here's some war advertising for you guys.....

Now that's funny:D

Deoxyribonucleic
03-23-2003, 10:06 PM
Hey JT, I saw the same blimp O yesterday too but down a bit more south so perhaps it was making the "demonstrator run" as there was nothing else I could think of going on around the area. It was about 2:00 PM

Who knows! :crazed:

*throws hands up in air and shrugs
shoulders

JediTricks
03-25-2003, 09:34 PM
Deoxy, I hadn't noticed. If accurate, that's kinda pathetic, they can't even decide on an audience, just a blimp looking for any type of crowd. So they wouldn't discriminate between a little league game and a massive pileup on the 101? :D

Deoxyribonucleic
03-25-2003, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by JediTricks
Deoxy, I hadn't noticed. If accurate, that's kinda pathetic, they can't even decide on an audience, just a blimp looking for any type of crowd. So they wouldn't discriminate between a little league game and a massive pileup on the 101? :D

OMG - That made me laugh a big huge outloud laugh! :D :D :D :D

I got a great mental picture on that one JT!! :D

Some maniacal blimp driver bent on getting SOMEONE to buy a Saturn...ANYONE! Low flying over the 101 pileup, laughing crazily and even lower over the little league game to get in the way of that flyup ball. And moving northwards to hit the protesters...screaming out loud, I'll get them, I'll get them ALL! Muwahahahahhahaha!

Aahhhhhhhhhhh HILARIOUS!

stillakid
03-25-2003, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by Deoxyribonucleic
OMG - That made me laugh a big huge outloud laugh! :D :D :D :D

I got a great mental picture on that one JT!! :D

Some maniacal blimp driver bent on getting SOMEONE to buy a Saturn...ANYONE! Low flying over the 101 pileup, laughing crazily and even lower over the little league game to get in the way of that flyup ball. And moving northwards to hit the protesters...screaming out loud, I'll get them, I'll get them ALL! Muwahahahahhahaha!

Aahhhhhhhhhhh HILARIOUS!

But the protesters are in Westwood, so that'd mean the 405. :) God knows we can't do more than 25mph there anyway.

JediTricks
03-26-2003, 12:34 AM
Good one Deoxy! :D

Originally posted by stillakid
But the protesters are in Westwood, so that'd mean the 405. :) God knows we can't do more than 25mph there anyway. You could if you were driving... A SATURN! ;) :p

Tycho
03-26-2003, 02:37 AM
No you guys didn't "get it."

They are pushing Saturns for their great mileage, as opposed to vehicles from older auto companies, especially SUV's which depend on more oil.

I can't post anything political, so I will tip-toe around this by saying,

They are advertising improved mileage cars that are less dependent on gasoline which is made from oil, to protestors against a war waged upon Iraq, a Middle-East Country.

Gee, can anyone connect the dots? :rolleyes:

scruffziller
03-26-2003, 05:39 AM
We can't stop the poilitical threads.

Deoxyribonucleic
03-26-2003, 11:27 AM
Maniacal blimp drivers. Politics.

I never knew???:D :crazed: :D :crazed:

QLD
03-26-2003, 12:00 PM
OH THE HUMANITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fulit
03-26-2003, 01:51 PM
Car commercials. Featuring 4-5 year old "hit" songs to make them "catchy". Played 2-3 times EVERY commercial break. It makes me hate car companies. They show these people at the dealership, bopping around, so excited about the sales, dancing. Who does this?

I've long wondered who out there actually depends on any form of advert to buy a car. Do people in the market for a car actually sit around watching these car commercials, saying, "Yes! this is what I've been waiting for!" "To the dealership!"

Deoxyribonucleic
03-26-2003, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by Fulit

I've long wondered who out there actually depends on any form of advert to buy a car. Do people in the market for a car actually sit around watching these car commercials, saying, "Yes! this is what I've been waiting for!" "To the dealership!"

Agreed! Except for that Saturn Blimp :D

I've never purchased a car from a commercial as I like older cars anyway! :)

Hey how 'bout this, SUV commercials where they have the vehicles driving over and ripping up nature, where cars NEVER go! I especially LOVE those! :eek: :p

Tycho
03-26-2003, 02:35 PM
I responded to the advertising:

I bought a blimp!

That's what they wanted me to do, isn't it?

Parking is easy! I just attach a rope to an American flag poll and slide down. I feel so patriotic!

Plus I'm helping the environment: I just need some helium and a little wind, and I'm off without polluting!

Am I talking funny?

Deoxyribonucleic
03-26-2003, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by Tycho
I responded to the advertising:

I bought a blimp!

That's what they wanted me to do, isn't it?

Parking is easy! I just attach a rope to an American flag poll and slide down. I feel so patriotic!

Plus I'm helping the environment: I just need some helium and a little wind, and I'm off without polluting!

Am I talking funny?

Tycho, BEWARE! while blimp driving out there....The blimpy ghost of Hindenburg in the air! :eek:

QLD
03-26-2003, 02:54 PM
Someone say Hindenburg??????

OH THE HUMANITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:crazed:

Deoxyribonucleic
03-26-2003, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by Quite-Long Dong
Someone say Hindenburg??????

OH THE HUMANITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:crazed:

QLD, oh you must stop! :D My sides have split and are now floating between Tycho's Saturn Blimp and the...the...the... HINDENBURG!

Aaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! What Ghostly madness! :Pirate: