PDA

View Full Version : Wave 3: R5-DL (R5-D4), SK-Z38, and G2-9T Revealed!!

Beast
03-25-2003, 07:22 PM
StarWars.Com finally posted pictures of the 3rd wave of Star Tours figures. They list the R5 Unit as R5-D4, but it's the second head, from the inside of the Sandcrawler. Not the three eyed one from the Jawa sale. :)

Star Tours Collection III - March 25, 2003

Last year, Hasbro Inc. and Disney partnered to make available exclusive action figures derived from the Star Tours attraction, the popular Star Wars-themed ride starring R2-D2 and C-3PO. The first two collections contained three figures each based on droids seen in and around the ride. Here's a look at the third collection, which will be available at Walt Disney World® Resort, Disneyland® Resort, and Disneyland® Resort Paris this year.
This collection includes three droids, each sold separately.

R5-D4 is a down-on-his luck astromech that is first seen in A New Hope with an explosively faulty motivator. While he has gotten away from the Jawas, the carbon scoring on his shell reveals he's still working a hard existence. This edition of R5-D4, true to its theme park incarnation, features a unique head design.

SK-Z38 was originally one of the animatronic birds found in the Splash Mountain® attraction. Its avian skin was removed, and the droid was retooled for use in Star Tours. Disney maintenance crews commonly refer to SK-Z38 as the "bird droid."

G2-9T looks very similar to G2-4T, one of the droids from Collection I. This Collection III droid also started off as a Disney animatronic bird; it was originally one of the geese from the America Sings attraction. G2-9T has blue detailing, making him different from his gold-detailed G2-4T cousin.
http://www.starwars.com/collecting/news/2003/03/news20030325.html

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

LTBasker
03-25-2003, 07:51 PM
I'm definitely gonna try to get that R5 unit, he looks SWEEET. The weathering is also very nice as well. The SK one is very weird looking, but still pretty cool. I'm suprised they'd actually reissue a Star Tours fig, but it's still pretty cool.

Jargo
03-25-2003, 07:54 PM
Well it looks okay but the picture quality is weak at best. Pity the optic sensors don't have a paint app. The other two are weak figures, the bird one just seems a bit pointless andsthe G2 droid looks no different to the previous release to me. perhaps a little more paint but otherwise exactly the same figure. I suppose you could say that about astro droids though. :) Good to see we finally get the R5 droid. I'll definately be after a few of those. The black splodge is a bit too black and solid so hopefully it'll be a bit softer on the final version. Not bad though. Mark2D2 should be pleased that we at least get an R5 droid. Not the one he wants but the other head can't be far behind perhaps.

mark2d2
03-25-2003, 08:15 PM
Don's speak for me, Jargo!

Just kidding. :evil:

Mark2d2 is pleased. Although I must say what is up with that nasty black glob of gobbly-gook? I too, hope that is toned down a bit. And, yes, the eyes seem curiously unpainted . . . Then again, these are prototypes, so perhaps nothing is set in stone.

At any rate --- at long last an R5-D4. Not the one I really, REALLY want. But seeing how Hasbro loves to repaint and reissue droids like crazy lately -- no complaints! Just a happy observation :D -- I trust we'll get a couple of cool variations pretty quick. And maybe my little dream figure at last.

The other figs look like really great representations of characters I find vaguely annoying. :rolleyes: But I definitely do remember that odd duck like thing from my visit to Star Tours . . .

PS --- Nice to see that the head looks a bit more properly to scale now on this R5. Oh, happy day . . . .:p

Beast
03-25-2003, 08:25 PM
Here's a nice gallary of pictures of R5-DL. The black carbon scoring and damage is a bit much, but it does correspond to the actual droid in the attraction. I hope they cut back a bit on the ammount of black paint on the final released version though. :)

http://www.astromech.net/gallery/astromechs/R5-DL.htm

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

mark2d2
03-25-2003, 09:05 PM
Cool link Jar Jar Binks!

You're wrong though in your initial post. The R5 inside the Sandcrawler is the same at the three eyed on at the sale. I just watched it again. The very first shot, you do see only two eyes --- but it's just the angle of the head. A moment later --- same scene --- you see him again and he has three eyes.

Who cares though? I'm just stoked he's being done at all! :evil:

Turbowars
03-25-2003, 09:22 PM
I'm happy and POed at the same time. I love the R5, but I totaly thought Z38 was going to be that Jabba's palace droid with the bug eyes. I guess he is at the Euro Disney. Then Hasbro throws another rehash at us. In this case, 1 out of 3 is OK because of R5. Did it say if they are going to be packed on a POTJ or Saga card?

Jargo
03-25-2003, 09:52 PM
SW.com didn't give that info. Just that these figures would be coming "this year" :shrug:

Turbowars
03-25-2003, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by EMPEROR JARGO
SW.com didn't give that info. Just that these figures would be coming "this year" :shrug: Thanks EJ;) Hey I have a off topic question for you if you mind. As I was looking at your reply, my wife asked what all your Orange stuff means in your sig? Just wondering. :)

Jargo
03-25-2003, 10:25 PM
Um, I just have a thing for orange stuff. It's a positive color completely at odds with my apparent and inherently negative outlook on life. A paradoxical topsy turvy self parodying muse............ :happy:

:rolleyes:

I have no idea matey, it just struck me as cool to use orange. and I had to change the name of my website (under reconstruction) from the new empire because the new empire is a roleplaying website for star wars people which I didn't know about. The first thing that came to mind was orange. That's all. I am nuts for orange things though, dunno why, something from childhood probably. Joy or trauma or whatever, orange just makes me feel comfortable and warm and happy. :) My bedroom incidentaly is deep orange like a coccoon of warmth. In fact my whole house is orange, every room in different combinations and shades eggyolk yellow through to almost red vermillion. orange is the new white...

Yes, I know I'm completely barking mad, but life is nicer from this side of the sanity fence. ;) :crazed:

That astrodroids site is cool. Liked the bit about R4-P17 and Don Bies trying to get George to change the name to R2, that was funnee. :D

Banthaholic
03-26-2003, 12:08 AM
This is good news, the photos sent me looking through my Star Tours photos. I don't have one of SK-Z38 , is he from Disney Land or Disney-MGM? Any one know?

As for the figures, they all will be welcome additions to my collection.

mtriv73
03-26-2003, 08:28 AM
I don't think I've been this disappointed in a long time. Animitronic bird skeletons and a movie inaccurate astromech...ugh. C'mon Hasbro give us a real R5.

LTBasker
03-26-2003, 08:37 AM
I knew R5-D4 was in the Sandcrawler, always figured the R5-DL droid was also in there because I thought I saw it in there. Eh, oh well he looks cool nonetheless. Just chop off or pull out those eye sockets then a little sculpey and you'd have a new R5-D4 ready to go!

Tycho
03-26-2003, 04:32 PM
I don't know if I like the bird thing or not. It could be cool to use as a security sentry in the Geonosis Droid factory diorama.

The R5 is way cool.

The other, I'll pass on. Not significantly different from the first one.

But considering how they recycle robotic animatronics from other sets and strip them off of their earth-worldly coverings and call them Star Wars droids,

I can't wait for the Abraham Lincoln droid or the Abominable Snowman one, let alone Pirates of the Carribean.

I even went so far as to name them:

A.B.E.-1 Civil Worker Droid

S.N.O.-8 Security Net Operations Droid

and

Captain P.E.G.-8 (Pilot-Engineer-Gunner- model 8)

and of course

J.A.K.-0 (Michael Jackson animatronic, at home in his Pirates of the Carribean recreation)

Jerjerrod
03-26-2003, 06:13 PM
The R5 droid is cool, but was he like that in the movie with that blast mark (as shown in JJB's link)? Or was he only like that in Disney? With that said, assuming this droid is the "all-new" R5-D4, will Hasbro re-release it as a basic carded figure later on (maybe without the blast mark), or will this droid be Star Tours exclusive forever? :( Disney is waaaaaaaay out of my reach, so chances are, I'll NEVER get it. :cry:

Tycho
03-26-2003, 06:18 PM
I got my wave 1 at Disneyland, CA.

I ordered my wave 2 from Disneyworld, FL.

No problems.

I think I have extra (definitely non-mint) from Wave 1 and 2.

Beast
03-26-2003, 08:10 PM
The cool thing about them making R5-DL, is that they can always remold/repaint it later on down the line to make the unknown black 2-eyed Imperial R5 Unit from the Death Star 2. Or the unknown white 2-eyed Rebel R5 Unit from the Rebel Briefing Room. Or if your handy with that sort of thing, you can do it yourself. :)

Star Tours Comparison Page (http://www.astromech.net/gallery/astromechs/startourcomparison.htm)
Black 2-Eyed & 3-Eyed R5 Units (http://www.astromech.net/gallery/astromechs/images/blackR5-2.jpg)
White 2-Eyed R5 Unit (http://www.astromech.net/gallery/astromechs/images/thumbnails/R2D2/endorbattle.jpg)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

darthm1970
03-27-2003, 11:12 AM
We all need to understand that these are Star Tours figures, not from the movies. R5 looks awsome as this is how he looks like at the attraction. I'm hoping Hasbro will release another R5 droid that will be a Star Wars figure.

plasticfetish
03-28-2003, 02:43 AM
Oof! The R5 looks very nice ... I've missed out on all of these figures and I'm within spitting distance of Mouse-Land. Will have to go get one this time.

(I like the Animatronic bird skeletons ... toys of "real" robots ... what a cool thing. I always thought it was funny that they used those for the ride ... sort of fantasy meets reality.)

Turbowars
03-28-2003, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by darthm1970
We all need to understand that these are Star Tours figures, not from the movies. I believe most of us realize this, but we just like to complain. If it looked like the movie version we probably would be saying, "Hey, it doesn't look like the STAR TOURS version.;)

stillakid
03-30-2003, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by Tycho
I got my wave 1 at Disneyland, CA.

I ordered my wave 2 from Disneyworld, FL.

No problems.

I think I have extra (definitely non-mint) from Wave 1 and 2.

So is there a release date for these? I ordered that first wave from Disney Florida, then picked up some extras in person here at Disneyland. I'd like to bypass the mail order and visit D'Land this time but need some confirmation that they are actually on pegs. :)

jonthejedi
04-08-2003, 06:38 AM
Don't forget those of you too far(like me in MD) to travel to the magic kingdom...there is a 407 area code number you can use to order them. As to Banthholic's question regarding the "bird droids"...they appear on a turbolift overhang at the Disney-MGM Star Tours right before you enter the final turnstile area to board your starspeeder. If anyone needs that number...I'll try to dig it up...that's how I ordered the 1st 6.

mm74md
04-08-2003, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by jonthejedi
Don't forget those of you too far(like me in MD) to travel to the magic kingdom...there is a 407 area code number you can use to order them. ....If anyone needs that number...I'll try to dig it up...that's how I ordered the 1st 6.

jonthejedi: Help your fellow Free Stater get those figs, please dig up that phone number!