PDA

View Full Version : How do they determine clonetrooper rank?

JediTricks
03-26-2003, 12:09 AM
Is it just a lottery?
(waves hand in general direction) "Hey, you there, you're the squad leader."
"Me sir?"
"Um... sure, whatever."

Are they specially-trained for leadership duty? If so, what happens if the leaders are killed in action? Is there a lower rank that just steps up and takes over, and if so, where does he get HIS leadership training from?

This could apply to Battle Droids too I suppose, but they weren't exactly a raving success thanks to command structure failings. So what makes an soldier in an army of the same guy over and over different than another so that they receive rank and alternate duties?

QLD
03-26-2003, 01:09 AM
Maybe they have a genetic coding they add to specific ones they want designated as officers?????

On second thought, I am not going to try and come up with excuses for this dungpile. :crazed:

Your guess is as good as mine.

LTBasker
03-26-2003, 01:51 AM
I'm guessing that they all get the same amount of training and such, but the first ones out or the ones that seem to adapt faster (just because they're clones doesn't mean normal DNA anomilies can't pop up) could be given the Clone rank.

Or maybe they play spin the rank bottle :crazed:

stillakid
03-26-2003, 10:26 AM
According to some of the Prequel Defende...er, um, supporters around here, officers are different from regular troops in this universe, so maybe not all the faces under those masks look alike.

Yeah. :rolleyes:

Kidhuman
03-26-2003, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by stillakid
According to some of the Prequel Defende...er, um, supporters around here, officers are different from regular troops in this universe, so maybe not all the faces under those masks look alike.

Yeah. :rolleyes:

This is one time your sig. comes into good play.

I haven't got a clue. Maybe the first ones out were made officers due to senority.

Anakin2121
03-26-2003, 02:02 PM
I'd say it's simple -- rank was randomly assigned. While all the clone kiddies got the same basic training, the ones selected to be grunts received additional training on following orders or something, while the company commanders and platoon leaders were given specialized leadership training.

Fulit
03-26-2003, 02:35 PM
Well, I know who didn't make officer, that one clone who's looking around angrily during the eating scene. There's an insubordinate if I ever saw one.

Anakin2121
03-26-2003, 02:50 PM
Maybe he was an officer or NCO, and was looking around to make sure his troops were eating quietly. :)

Beast
03-26-2003, 02:51 PM
Just because their clones, doesn't mean they all had the exact same mental capacity. They did train and test them for 10 years. Both small genetic deviations and just naturally excelling over another clone in certain areas could have led to those clones being marked for ranking positions. Remeber, we're talking about clones of Jango's body, not his memories and training. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JediTricks
03-26-2003, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by Anakin2121
I'd say it's simple -- rank was randomly assigned. While all the clone kiddies got the same basic training, the ones selected to be grunts received additional training on following orders or something, while the company commanders and platoon leaders were given specialized leadership training. Ok, that's what I first thought as well, and it's supported by the official site ("The clones designated for command duty were specifically trained in that capacity") but this would leave major gaps in the chain of command if something happened to a commander. These clones were bred for - among other things - compliance and diminished independence, if a leader is taken out, there's nobody with the training, drive, or prior experiences to step up and take over. They claim to have a "spark of independent and creative thinking", but that and the basic-soldier training don't seem like enough to lead a squad of other troopers successfully in battle.

JJB, I never got any indication that these clones weren't anything but identical in every way. In fact, according to the non-EU listing (http://www.starwars.com/databank/organization/clonetroopers/index.html) in the SW.com databank... (the clone troopers are) "identical in form, physical prowess, stamina and mental capacity". Therefore, I still don't get how this would work because if they lose a commander in battle, the troops under him would be totally lost like a chicken with its head cut off.

LTBasker
03-26-2003, 05:46 PM
I thought about that too JT, but then you gotta figure that the majority of leaders in our armed forces go to West Point, but somtimes during battle the officers get taken out so foot soldiers who didn't have to go to westpoint have to take command. I'd guess they just have programs like that for those that don't make a higher rank.

stillakid
03-26-2003, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by JediTricks
Ok, that's what I first thought as well, and it's supported by the official site ("The clones designated for command duty were specifically trained in that capacity") but this would leave major gaps in the chain of command if something happened to a commander. These clones were bred for - among other things - compliance and diminished independence, if a leader is taken out, there's nobody with the training, drive, or prior experiences to step up and take over. They claim to have a "spark of independent and creative thinking", but that and the basic-soldier training don't seem like enough to lead a squad of other troopers successfully in battle.

JJB, I never got any indication that these clones weren't anything but identical in every way. In fact, according to the non-EU listing (http://www.starwars.com/databank/organization/clonetroopers/index.html) in the SW.com databank... (the clone troopers are) "identical in form, physical prowess, stamina and mental capacity". Therefore, I still don't get how this would work because if they lose a commander in battle, the troops under him would be totally lost like a chicken with its head cut off.

So, you know, these guys gotta eat too, so are some Jango clones modified to be really good slop cooks as well? :D

QLD
03-26-2003, 07:43 PM
WOW!!! Clone cooks!!! Sign me up for one of those!!!

Oh, and I'll take a clone dishwasher too!!!

RooJay
03-27-2003, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by JediTricks
Ok, that's what I first thought as well, and it's supported by the official site ("The clones designated for command duty were specifically trained in that capacity") but this would leave major gaps in the chain of command if something happened to a commander. These clones were bred for - among other things - compliance and diminished independence, if a leader is taken out, there's nobody with the training, drive, or prior experiences to step up and take over. They claim to have a "spark of independent and creative thinking", but that and the basic-soldier training don't seem like enough to lead a squad of other troopers successfully in battle.

So...how do you suppose it works in the real world, non-clone military? What do you suppose happens when US military officers are killed in battle? I'm pretty sure it's not true that all of our troops are trained as officers just in case those with official rank are KIA. By the way, you don't need to go through officer's training in order to gain the skills necessary to make an effective, if only an impromptu, officer. Many a figthin' man has achieved a battlefield officer's commision without ever having gone through the usual training.
Clone rank would therefore most likely be assigned randomly, those clones would receive formal officer training, and if they fall in battle, one of the rank and file clones steps up in his place until he can be either relieved by a new officer, or else given an official battlefield commision. It's quite simple, really.

TheDarthVader
03-27-2003, 05:01 PM
I believe that the genetics are "tweeked" to produce either a leader, pilot, or whatever. They can alternate the DNA in order to give specific clones specific traits. That is, these clones would have the traits when they are first "born".

JediTricks
03-27-2003, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by RooJay
So...how do you suppose it works in the real world, non-clone military? What do you suppose happens when US military officers are killed in battle? This actually is my point of this thread: real people have an entire lifetime of character-building experiences to fall back upon, these clones however are only 10 years old and have been raised in a sterile, controlled learning environment. When a real individual steps up to take the lead when the chain of command is broken, that person relies on past experiences, training, and his character; but a clone trooper doesn't have that - only specific trooper training.

Originally posted by TheDarthVader
I believe that the genetics are "tweeked" to produce either a leader, pilot, or whatever. They can alternate the DNA in order to give specific clones specific traits. That is, these clones would have the traits when they are first "born". If that were the case, then when one of these clones is killed in battle, a regular clone trooper would not be able to step up and take over for them because he is not bred and trained for the new task.

TheDarthVader
03-28-2003, 10:41 PM
Good point.

JediTricks
03-29-2003, 06:02 AM
Confusing, ain't it? :D

Don't get me wrong, the OT stormtroopers have their own problems, I'm just asking about this clone trooper issue.