PDA

View Full Version : I got Linkin Park's new CD!

Tycho
03-26-2003, 04:10 PM
It just came out yesterday. Unfortunately I haven't had too much time to listen to it.

From first impressions it is very good.

In some ways, generally speaking, in Meteora, they are softer and toned down from Hybrid Theory.

That's so-so for me. I liked some of Metallica's changes to some lighter music (from almost speed-metal, to still very hard metal) but some bands I like a certain way: for Linkin Park, I like them rocking hard.

A couple songs that I've already heard a few times and taken to are:

#2: Don't Stay
#6: Easier to Run
#7: Faint
#9: Breaking the Habit
#13: Numb

I think the whole CD is good, but lighter somehow.

"Easier to Run" starts with keyboard strokes from "Pushing Me Away," it seems.

More of the same, but about what I expected. I AM glad I bought it.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
03-26-2003, 04:31 PM
Wha? buying? CD's? Purchase discs?? what?!?! This whole idea of actually buying CD's is really alien to me for some reason! Hmpfh, i wonder why. :D

QLD
03-26-2003, 04:36 PM
I remember the last CD I bought.......in 1998.

The Overlord Returns
03-26-2003, 04:52 PM
My condolences.....

Tycho
03-26-2003, 04:53 PM
Wal*Mart sold it for 9 bucks yesterday. That's OK by me. There's a 40 page book, a video encoded on the CD, a secret website for LP fans that I haven't really explored yet, and a lot for the value.

That's what I call better pricing and nicer bonuses for buying material from a band it was safe to say I'd like what I'd purchased.

I know all about free music, but like to patronize artists I really appreciate - especially when their record companies are not gouging me. I'd hate to think what Sam Goody sold the new disc for. Anyway, like you guys, I used to have the red eyes from all the Napster nights, but no matter what new Napster I'm using any given day now, 9 bucks is a good hamburger. Linkin Park I think I'll keep!

LTBasker
03-26-2003, 04:59 PM
Yeah the LP cd is pretty good, my favorite song on there is Somewhere I Belong cause I could just picture it as a rock theme song if Batman got one, just like DareDevil got one and Spider-Man got two.

Tycho
03-26-2003, 06:22 PM
Yeah, "Somewhere I Belong" is a good song!

A couple of them still sound to me like they were tyring to appeal to N'Sync fans unfortunately - maybe "From the Inside" is from Justin to Britney, with love.:eek:

Fulit
03-26-2003, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by Tycho

A couple of them still sound to me like they were tyring to appeal to N'Sync fans unfortunately - maybe "From the Inside" is from Justin to Britney, with love.:eek:

I've always considered the whole band "N'Sync with guitars".
I remember the first time I saw them on MTV a few years back, we laughed so hard at this 14 year old lookin kid with pink hair squealing "Shut up!" I was not intimidated.

So you're saying they've improved since then?

LTBasker
03-26-2003, 11:38 PM
From what I can tell they have, I mean none of them have pink hair anymore... The songs have definitely improved in having a point and being well done, they're alot more rock-like instead of the way were before.

bobafrett
03-27-2003, 01:02 AM
My son told me everyday that Linkin Park's new C.D. was coming out this week. They are one of a very few bands that we can agree on. My son is into Hip Hop and I'm into Rock. This will be one I will get soon.

jeddah
03-27-2003, 07:44 AM
...... for buying material from a band it was safe to say I'd like what I'd purchased.

Really? So even if the album was a hot pile of mess you'd still like it? Do you display this interesting discrimination in all purchases :crazed: ;)

jeddah

James Boba Fettfield
03-27-2003, 02:07 PM
What's the total track time on that Meteora album? I read a few weeks ago it was close to 40 minutes total.

scruffziller
03-27-2003, 02:15 PM
Wal*Mart sold it for 9 bucks yesterday.

Was it edited???:rolleyes:

Tycho
03-28-2003, 02:17 AM
I'm answering questions in reverse order here:

Scruffilizer asked was it edited? (because Wal*Mart is a family store and sells edited versions of CD's).

A: I don't know. It didn't say edited on the package and I didn't think about that before I bought from Wal*Mart.

"In the end it doesn't matter," because I have Hybrid Theory, and I don't think they swear on that one either, so maybe neither CD is edited.

I've come to the recent conclusions that

1) if I want something harder, more rebel, I'll listen to Pappa Roach rather than Linkin Park. I also don't think I'd take a chance buying a Pappa Roach CD from Wal*Mart. "Take my money...Take my possessions, I don't need that sh1t!"

2) if I want something softer, I'll listen to Geoff Tate (Queensryche's lead singer on his first solo album - which is really good btw!)

Linkin Park fills the in-between-moments, and I'll listen to Hybrid Theory twice as fast as I'll listen to Meteora.

Boba Fett Field asked what the total track length time on Meteora was:

A: 36 minutes and 40 seconds it seems. I did some addition for you, instead of reading the packaging. Hybrid Theory was almost exactly the same: 37 minutes and 45 seconds.

Like I said, it's about exactly what you'd expect from Linkin Park if you liked their first album.

I'm listening to it now, and "Don't Stay" rocks. Good song!

jeddah asked something that really wasn't called for.

Neither should my response be, but sometimes I'm just an azz.

jeddah: "Do you collect every figure Hasbro puts out?"

"Are you a completist?"

"Is having every little figure THAT important to you?"

Well you spend time posting on a Star Wars site so I take it you buy at least some of the figures,

"So is every little action figure Hasbro puts out on a Star Wars blistercard something you reach deep in your pockets for even if
a hot pile of mess you'd still like it?

Well, enjoy the latest R2-D2, and buy one for me (but you can keep it, too!):D

jeddah
03-28-2003, 04:21 AM
Sorry if I came across as mean-spirited, my request was borne out of genuine curiosity because I am the same with some of my favourite artists. If Rahsaan Patterson (http://music.barnesandnoble.com/search/product.asp?ean=8811155926)'s latest album was "a hot pile of mess" I don't think I'd even be able to discern that it was, let alone admit it :D

Due to a run of (probably karmic ;) ) bad luck, my collection activities have taken a downward slump over the past 18 months. Although I'm not a completist, you can rest assured that if Hasbro release any more R2-D2's or other astromechs, they'll be on my wishlist if not in my collection :)

jeddah

Tycho
03-28-2003, 06:19 AM
jeddah, sorry if I took your comment the wrong way.

To respond the way you'd like me to:

No. I really don't buy everything from a label (brand) whatever that I like.

By the time Star Wars got on to the resculpts, I'd already decided I was going to do dioramas. For my first 3 years of collecting the modern line ('95-97) I was obsessed with stormtroopers and getting around / almost 100 of them (turns out that I use only about 72 of them or so, but that's so far....)

When resculpts really started (1998), I'd already decided I had amassed way more Star Wars figures than any sane person needed. I was even justifying buying more to encompass some new scene if just one figure I liked came out, and required older figures to finish a scene with them.

*example. I'd always wanted Uncle Owen, so when POTD came out, I bought an extra R5, four Jawa 2-packs, an extra R2 (though now a loose holo-Leia holds that post so he has a restraining bolt on) and ASP-7, (and I think that was it at the time - since then I got a Death Star Droid and Gonk in there, plus Aunt Beru and Treadwell (though that's not really Treadwell!)

But anyway, under most circumstances, I would not have bought a second R5D4. I was not interested in collecting, but rather putting together scenes with characters I liked, and then seeing what I collected.

In terms of music, I learned my lesson with Def Leppard. Now here is a band that started me in rock n roll. "Rock of Ages" was my first 45 vinyl (yeah vinyl - CD's were just being invented then, and portable players cost like $300 when now at Wal*Mart you can get one for $30).

I can even spell

"Unten gunten gleebin gloubin bloben."

So I was into Def Leppard! But there stuff after Hysteria was here and there - that rock pops song just made me want to scream - "take out the trash" and take it with you when you go! But Slang was a pretty good album. They have a new one out actually, but I had a budget and a choice between Geoff Tate and the new Leps, and I took the voice of Queensryche and am not sorry!

With Linkin Park? I never paid for Hybrid Theory. In a nutshell, this girl that liked me lent it to me so I could copy it. I got together with her roommate (my cheerleader friend I've referred to in other posts here), and I guess if my "when it's convenient friend's" friend wants to start speaking to me again, she can have her CD back. I have the original, my computer HD copy, and a burned disc copy of Hybrid that never leaves my truck.

So since I liked the last thing LP did so much, I figured for 9 bucks it was worth the risk.

I'm glad I bought Meteora. It is growing on me, and like the last LP, I am listening to it constantly - though it will drive me to Pappa Roach "during my moments," still.

scruffziller
03-28-2003, 11:57 AM
Sorry there Tycho, right now I am just on this vendetta of WM's thing with edited media. My philosophy, if it is something that needs to be edited in some way, most likely in order to make it totally watchable, listenable etc. there wouldn't be anything left of it, so you shouldn't even be watching or listening to it in the first place, to truly adhere to your beliefs. Just because the curse words are bleeped doesn't mean the content is different. So my attitude is that WM is selling illusionary material. They are hypocrites in this thing. If they really wanted to uphold their values, they wouldn't carry it at all. The only customers who buy that "EDITED" 8 Mile soundtrack or the Censored version of the Osbournes are the people who buy it by accident. Because anyone who wants those titles DON'T want the edited version. And then refuse to give the money back or expect them to exchange for the same item. The excuse is because of the copyright laws. That is like someone who wants to see Andrew Dice Clay but doesn't want him to curse or tell the jokes that everyone who loves him loves him for.

Tycho
03-28-2003, 02:04 PM
Well we still need someone to confirm if they have a new Linkin Park disc with swearing on it, or whatever.

I want to know if I do or do not have an edited version.

There are no bleeps or silent spaces in this music though.

And yeah, I like the original version of things with all the emphasis that the original artist intended, but Wal*Mart likes to be the family store.

You can just laugh at all the money they are going to lose by buying to sell edited versions of things.

Their Osbourne's DVD is NOT edited. A little thing at the cash register beeps and requires the sales associate to ask for ID so that no one under 17 can buy DVD's that are read at R. How else can they sell Full Metal Jacket? You only need to show your ID - it's not edited.

Music is different, because they don't want to lose sales of music to kids, or kids shopping with parents, or having their parents shop for them (not to mention people who like to play their music at offices and can't have offensive copies). The girls at my Supercuts love to listen to "Lick my neck, my back, my ----- and my crack." I'm sure they're talking about cracks in the pavement in that edited version. More like cracks in the thin skin of some people I guess. Who cares - I love getting my haircut at the college campus Supercuts! :D

scruffziller
03-28-2003, 02:38 PM
AH but the Osbournes is...... it says CENSORED right on the front.
So what does that actually mean then if not edited??

El Chuxter
03-28-2003, 02:38 PM
Oh yeah? I got Linkin Park's old CD yesterday! Yes, after hearing a gazillion recommendations, I ordered Hybrid Theory and it arrived last night. I have already sent thank you cards to those who have harassed me for months to get it. :)

I'll be stopping by Ch&eacute Targ&eacutet on the way home and getting Meteora while it's still on sale, methinks. I think I'll spring the extra $5 for the version with the DVD.

bobafrett
03-28-2003, 03:10 PM
Even though I worked at Wal-Mart, I wouldn't buy my music there even though I could save an extra 10% as my employee discount. I take that back, I did but a couple of C.D.'s that didn't use profane language, but I don't work there for now, so I stop at Best Buy or somewhere with a wider selection of the music I like.

Tyco, a girl I was dating for 3 years was into Def Leppard, and still is. In fact they are playing here in Illinois tonight. She has seen them close to 100 times, and I got to see them once on New years eve 1999. They were good! My former girlfriend and her mom both have met the band, in fact Phil Collen came up and hugged my ex ladies mom and asked when her daughter would be in. She and I also went and saw Barry Manilow in concert, so you can say what you will about my taste in music. I also like Rush, Great White, Tesla, the Eagles, Queensryche, Tom Petty, No Doubt, Pearl Jam, Disturbed, Fleetwood Mac, Del Amitri, Foreigner, Default, and others!

Tycho
03-28-2003, 04:09 PM
El Chuxter: I think all of them have DVD footage. Please update us though. I'm not 100% sure.

Also, how do you like Hybrid Theory? It's a good album. Meteora is growing on me as I've been listening to it constantly. Always been glad I bought it.

Bobafrett: we have very similar music tastes - and I still love Def Leppard. I'll listen to their new one at Music Trader or something, then decide whether I'll buy or just download a few songs.

With the Leps, I also prefer to buy. They deserve to sell their work that's good (and most of it is).

"I also like Rush, Great White, Tesla, the Eagles, Queensryche, Tom Petty, (Some No Doubt for Tycho) , (some Pearl Jam for Tycho) , Disturbed, Fleetwood Mac, Foreigner, and others!"

There you go. I deleted the names of bands I'd never heard of from your quote and came up matching your tastes for about 75% of the time.

Favorites?

Metallica
Pappa Roach
Def Leppard
Linkin Park
Tool
Creed
Guns N Roses
Dokken
WhiteSnake
White Lion
Skid Row
Queensryche
Bryan Adams
Cinderella
Motley Crue
Saliva
Seven Mary Three
Ozzy Osbourne
Journey

more....

bobafrett
03-29-2003, 01:13 AM
Oh yeah, I forgot Saliva, that's had some heavy rotation in my car's CD player. I love blasting songs 3 and 4, although the whole CD rocks! I also enjoy the following:

Nickelback
Creed
Local H
Neil Young
The Black Crowes
Incubus
3 Doors down
Godsmack
Heart
Aerosmith
Stone Temple Pilots (even though they had to cancel the only time I had tickets to see them)
I could go on
and I will......
Cheap Trick
Alice in Chains
Metallica
Bon Jovi (but only because when I saw them in concert, I was being bounced between two young ladies :D )
INXS
Fastball

Some of my weaker music
Jim Croce
Gordon Lightfoot
Barry White
Bee Gee's
Linda Ronstadt (mostly her earlier stuff)
Savage Garden

Enuff already!!!!!!!!!!

I have to be in a certain mood to listen to some of the above listed music.

Oh and I do agree with about 99% of your list their Tycho! You must be in the 30 to 40 age bracket! I have a freind who is a year younger than me, but has no musical taste after the Beatles. Too bad, he's missing out on so much.

Tycho
03-29-2003, 04:50 AM
Yup, we like a lot of the same bands:

Nickelback "Cause I never made it as a wise man"

Creed "So can you take me higher?"

Neil Young "I gotta keep on Rockin in the Free World"

The Black Crowes "So come on Mama, let me light your candle, cause ya know I'm so hard to handle!"

Incubus "And pardon me while I burst into Flames!"

3 Doors down "If I go crazy, would you still call me Superman?"

Godsmack "You poison me with my desire."

Heart "I'm a Bad Animal!"

Aerosmith "So Sing for me Women. Sing for me here. Sing for my laughter and sing for my tears."

Alright I'll just keep go on with the list. We definitely rock to the same drum, hehehe.

Stone Temple Pilots
Cheap Trick
Alice in Chains
Metallica
Bon Jovi
INXS

Jim Croce (my father listened to him, along with Don McClean "ByeBye Miss American Pie")

But anyway, you were close. I'm in my very late 20's now. (*as I try to sound mature*) Yeah, I said mature. Now you wanna be Jango Fett or Darth Maul when we play Star Wars together? My Mom said I get to use the lightsaber. :D

bobafrett
03-30-2003, 12:17 AM
Well, as I've said before, I'm closing in on 38, and I dress up in Stormtrooper armor. Who says you ever have to grow out of enjoying your life? My dad is all serious and business like, and it shows. I can be serious, but I also like to enjoy my hobby. My former Def Leppard loving girlfriend, was 10 years younger than me, and we both liked a lot of the same music. She also didn't get mad that I collected Star Wars toys. Well, I notice that I'm rambling, long day I had, moving a friend the first half the day, and working the second half. Going to bed soon, perhaps I'll through on a little music, since this thread has put me in the mood to hear some good ol' rock n' roll.

Very nice song references there Tycho!

2-1B
03-30-2003, 01:45 AM
Aerosmith "So Sing for me Women. Sing for me here. Sing for my laughter and sing for my tears."

:eek: Tycho - how dare you so innacurately misquote such a beautiful song. :mad:

:crazed: :crazed: :crazed:

Jeddah, there are a handful of bands whose CDs I buy without question . . . oh, and I surely find some of them to be rather poor but what can I do? I consider myself a "collector" when it comes to my favorites. :)

Linkin Park? I HATE their music. (sorry, had to post on topic ;) )

Anyway, I saw their new CD at Best Buy, it had that giant book insert - while the copies at Media Play were normally sized.

Fulit
03-30-2003, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by Caesar

Linkin Park? I HATE their music. (sorry, had to post on topic ;) )

Thank God I'm not the only one. Freakin' pop metal acts. Nothing like a 14 year old getting paid oodles of cash to caterwaul, "Craaaawling in myyyy skiiiiiin!" in that whiny-teen angst voice. Sorry, I had to criticize, I'm in one of those moods this mawnin.

Tycho
03-30-2003, 04:35 PM
Uh, say what you will about Linkin Park, but what you described was Sebastian Bach only a few years ago.

Ugggh. Age is all in the head. I'm closer to 30 years than I'd like to be, but I'm never going to be an old fart.

Hey everybody: Led Zepplin stopped making records a few years ago...

2-1B
03-30-2003, 05:15 PM
No, Sebastian Bach is an actual SINGER. ;)
Quite a jerk of a singer, but still a singer. :D

scruffziller
03-31-2003, 09:33 AM
So Tycho what is your response to my response above?

jeddah
03-31-2003, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by Caesar

Jeddah, there are a handful of bands whose CDs I buy without question . . . oh, and I surely find some of them to be rather poor but what can I do? I consider myself a "collector" when it comes to my favorites. :)

Well I have a similar thing in that I will buy an album of an artist I love just on the off chance that there is one good track on there. Not strange, you may think, but consider that CD's in the UK cost between 12.99 - 16.99 ($20.54 - $26.87) this is quite a gamble.

:o

So, on my recent trip to Houston, you can imagine how much money I spent on music :) :D

jeddah

Tycho
03-31-2003, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by scruffziller
So Tycho what is your response to my response above?

Where is your response above?

The Osbournes question? I don't know. I'm not going to buy DVD's of that show.

I'm going to collect The Shield possibly. Deep Space Nine possibly (though I'm just about done collecting all 7 years on VHS),

and I'm more interested in:

Miami Vice
The A-Team
The Dukes of Hazzard
Smallville
Knight Rider
Band of Brothers

and who knows what else I'm not thinking of. I could care less how the Osbournes came out on DVD, save for the fact that if I take the time to rent them, I'd like them un-edited. "f..k" is about the only word I can understand Ozzy say, so I like to hear it in that drunken British accent of his.

jeddah
04-08-2003, 04:20 PM
Tycho,

In light of our recent discourse of my astromechosis, guess how I felt when I saw this (http://books.dreambook.com/tpu/probenews.html) (You will need to scroll down a bit :) :) :)

Oh well, out with the credit.... :D

jeddah
p.s Sorry if this is old news

Tycho
04-09-2003, 04:18 AM
Thanks for pointing out the pictures of the Hoth set.

Looks like some changes to the TaunTaun. Wonder when we'll get a better look.

Yes, it's a nice R3. I'm waiting for a red R3, and especially a green one. (Death Star 'mechs)

In orange, I'd like an R5 droid.