PDA

View Full Version : Posing the Acklay

tgr3328
03-27-2003, 10:27 AM
I just got a loose Ackley through an on-line auction service (that shall not be named in this message). I paid a reasonable price for it, so I am happy.

Here is my question:

Do you find that the articulation on the Acklay is somewhat limited? The "shoulder" joins aren't true ball joints, so some legs only move up-and-down while others move only side-to-side.

As a result, it tends to fall over on its face a lot. This makes it hard to pose him with his claws off the ground. Also, over time, the abdomen sags downward and he just kind of comes to rest on his "elbows". Its like he's saying, "Hey, I was out late at a party last night. I'm too tired to eat this Jedi right now." :p

Still, its a cool beast and I'm glad I got it.

Jayspawn
03-27-2003, 10:33 AM
I don't know about anybody elses but my Acklay is a little stuborn when it comes to standing up. I don't like how is head is stuck looking down. The rubbery entrails are neat.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-27-2003, 10:37 AM
Just keep fooling around with it. It took me a while to get a good pose, but he will stand up.:)

Amy
03-27-2003, 11:16 AM
That darn thing sure is hard to find. I have yet to see it in stores, ANYWHERE.:o

JEDIpartner
03-27-2003, 11:39 AM
I have my Acklay on the four legs, reared up with the front claws in the air. It looks amazing!

Jargo
03-27-2003, 01:14 PM
I couldn't be bothered with posing mine so i just used a transparent plastic box from some chocolate truffles (about three inches square and propped the damn thing up on that. The box just fades away underneath him and i don't have to keep picking the dopehead up every five minutes after he goes comatose on me. Sagging belly beast action he should have been labelled indeed.
Detail on him is lovely and I do like the snapping jaw but the neck, not good at all. one of those big ball jointy things just behind his head crest would have been cool. I just have my Acklay munching on a geo warrior, the mouth isn't really striong enough to hold a heavier figure. The warrior that came with the massif looks excellent bent slightly backwards and with his arms flailing around :evil: But soon, soon i'll have a spare Yoda to go in there hahahahahahahahahaha..........

aceguide
03-27-2003, 01:25 PM
JEDIpartnr - Do you have a picture?

I have to agree that this beast is a beast to pose! The joints are strange, with their limited movement and the fact that they are set up to go one way one one side, and the other on the other.

(Did that make sense?!?)

JEDIpartner
03-27-2003, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by aceguide
JEDIpartnr - Do you have a picture?

I'll get a picture of that and post it ASAP.

Darth Sidious
03-27-2003, 07:44 PM
I have mine posed in the exact same way as JEDIpartnr does. You can look at my newest, final arena diorama in the dioramams section if you want to see it too.

bobafrett
03-27-2003, 11:07 PM
I have mine still in the box I bought him in. I was wondering why he had his guts coming out, when you only see Obi-Wan cut his legs, and he falls forward, and Ben does another cut, followed by a final stab with his saber, but never did I see him cut the stomach open. Is this detail in the book? I will take him out, just as soon as I have a space to display the beast.

gibbspaulus
03-28-2003, 05:33 AM
It does help if you don't pose him on a smooth surface! Otherwise it's like the Icecapades!

JEDIpartner
03-28-2003, 08:23 AM
I think the "disembowel" feature was left from an earlier draft of the script. Hasbro probably didn't receive the change in time.