PDA

View Full Version : Whom is figure 400?



INDIANA
03-27-2003, 06:10 PM
Someone much wiser than myself should have an answer (Jar Jar). How many POTJ were there after 300 Boba? 4 Previews, 57(8) '02 Saga figs, 28 (?) '03 Sagas so far planned. Do the diferent head sculpts count? The Rebel Fleet Trooper and Imperial Commander would count as at least 2 because they were in different collections, right?

Kidhuman
03-27-2003, 06:34 PM
I dunno. Maybe they won't have a 400. I think they might wait until 500 to do something.

TheDarthVader
03-27-2003, 09:04 PM
But they had a 300!! :)

Kidhuman
03-28-2003, 08:07 AM
But not 200 or 100

OC47150
03-28-2003, 08:41 AM
Waiting until #500 would be more appropriate. But it would be interesting to know which figure was #400.

TheDarthVader
03-28-2003, 10:35 PM
"But not 200 or 100"

Maybe not SPECIAL figures but they had them. They are pictured on your 300th Fett figure.
1= 1978 sw luke
100= power of the force (one) han in carbonite
200= eu power of the force mara jade
300= awesome fett
400= ?
500= ?

Jerjerrod
03-29-2003, 01:44 AM
If only somebody knew the dates on which figure was produced around the time after Boba 300th, then it would be much easier. But then still, you have to factor in the re-issues like Teebo and Eeth Koth etc, variations like Battle Droid, ARgh, my head hurts. :crazed:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-29-2003, 11:54 AM
Variations don't count, only basic figures. Which is funny, because Fett isn't a basic, carded $5 figure. I'll try to find out who number 400 is sometime soon.:)

Jek Porky 2002
03-29-2003, 03:47 PM
I have worked out who it will be!

Remember, the 400 only includes single carded figures, and doesn't include;

Star Tours Figures
The EpII Sneak Preview Figures
Any pack-ins from vehicles or beasts
Deluxe figures
The four re-packaged figures from POTJ (i.e Eeth Koth etc)
The Trash Compactor sets
25th Aniversary packs
Cantina Sets

So that means that figure number 400 is..... (drumrole)....

Ashla And Jempa (Jedi Padawans)

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-29-2003, 04:36 PM
There is no reason not to include the Sneak Preview Episode II figures. Those were basic, just like the other figures, available in stores. And I think the re-packs should be counted too. SO, no. 400 is Coleman Trebor.:)

stillakid
03-29-2003, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by INDIANA
Whom is figure 400?

It's "who" is figure 400. :)

Jek Porky 2002
03-29-2003, 06:46 PM
The four re-packaged figures should definatly NOT be counted, because they are not new, they are just the same figure on a different card, you wouldn't count the re-packaged Vader and Stormtrooper from 1980 as different figures.

As for the preview figures, there was a post about this around last March/April and the conclusion was, that they didn't count because they weren't in a line of figures, they where just four separate figures.

TheDarthVader
03-29-2003, 10:20 PM
I think I would RATHER it be Coleman Trebor since he is on the council. However, I do not think I will jump into the debate. I might try to contact hasbro and see what they have to say
1-800-327-8264

OC47150
03-31-2003, 08:46 AM
On the Wal-Mart exclusive figure poster from late 1998 or early 1999, pack-in figures, sneak preview figures and mail away figures were included on their comprehensive list.

TheDarthVader
03-31-2003, 12:41 PM
Called hasbro, they didn't help. She told me that they could only look up figures by name, not number. So I gave her Coleman Trebor and Ashla and Jempa. All she told me was that they have a April release date. She said the description she had did not tell her anything about what overall number figure these were. Will this remain a mystery? :confused:

stillakid
03-31-2003, 12:48 PM
When just counting figures, I include all of them, excluding beasts, regardless of how they came packaged. Separating them out based on cards, boxes, or who offered them is just silly.

Also, exceedingly tiny variations, like minor color changes or longer/shorter sabers are something else to ignore.

However, wholesale alterations in how a figure is created (from sculpt to articulation) places that figure in the "new" column.

So, all 4" figures, regardless of whether they are Sneak Preview, Club Exclusives, Pack-in's, etc, should be counted equally. It's the only thing that makes sense.

The only way to figure this kind of question out, it seems, is to meticulously go through every "WAVE" release to determine a basic order that figures became available. This includes Beast packs and other special circumstances (ie Jorge Sacul). Work up a timeline from that information. Then, because several figures are released simultaneously in each wave, a certain amount of subjectivity takes over to determine which figure was 400 or whatever.

Deoxyribonucleic
03-31-2003, 01:09 PM
It's a daunting task, I hope someone will figure it out :p

Actually, thinking back, there's not much to count, we just have to figure what figs in the POTJ line came after the 300th boba fett. I agree with STilla that ALL new figs and resculpts thereof should be counted, whether they came with a beast, a vehicle or a playset like the trash compactor sets, they are NEW figures. The only thing I would not count as a new figure is the "repacks" such as teebo, rebel fleet trooper, and even the imp officer since he just has a blond dye job and no new resculpt.

So will someone please figure this out hehe ;)

Jargo
03-31-2003, 01:44 PM
No, the point is that hasbro counts only basic figures. all other figures are from their own sub-lines and form number whatever of whatever sub-lne. The numbering system only refers to basic carded figures. Count those only. If you want to have a seperate deluxe figure list or a seperate beast list or a pack-in figure list then that becomes its own entity but the numbering refers only to basic figures. Counting in all other figures would totally screw it all up and throw the 300th right out the window Boba is not the 300th if you factor in all other figures from whatever place. If you do that then boba fet is much higher in number. And if you include all othert figures where do you start from the vintage line or the modern era. Hasbro started at the vintage. They don't count exclusives. they don't count pack-ins they don't cont figures sold in pairs as two figures. They don't count head variants. Hasbro counts very little to get their 300th figure. If Fett is going to be persistently labelled 300th fett then it's all ballsed up anyway. Anfd not to mention that hasbro aren't bothering with a 400th figure and will wait until something like 500 or 600. They've intimated such already.

stillakid
03-31-2003, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by EMPEROR JARGO
No, the point is that hasbro counts only basic figures. all other figures are from their own sub-lines and form number whatever of whatever sub-lne. The numbering system only refers to basic carded figures. Count those only. If you want to have a seperate deluxe figure list or a seperate beast list or a pack-in figure list then that becomes its own entity but the numbering refers only to basic figures. Counting in all other figures would totally screw it all up and throw the 300th right out the window Boba is not the 300th if you factor in all other figures from whatever place. If you do that then boba fet is much higher in number. And if you include all othert figures where do you start from the vintage line or the modern era. Hasbro started at the vintage. They don't count exclusives. they don't count pack-ins they don't cont figures sold in pairs as two figures. They don't count head variants. Hasbro counts very little to get their 300th figure. If Fett is going to be persistently labelled 300th fett then it's all ballsed up anyway. Anfd not to mention that hasbro aren't bothering with a 400th figure and will wait until something like 500 or 600. They've intimated such already.

Exactly. Since that's the way it's done, the entire concept of a "300th" or whatever figure is just arbitrary and ridiculous. Just another interesting way to package a figure. For a true measure of such a thing, the only fair way to do it is as I described above. Leaving out figures just because of the shape of box they came in makes no sense at all. Unless a collector (or a kid) really keeps careful track of where his/her loose figures came from, the Hasbro counting concept doesn't mean anything.

One day, if I ever get the time, I may just sit down to try to figure out an accurate timeline and determine which figure really was # 300. At the moment, I'm reasonably sure it wasn't Boba Fett.

Jargo
03-31-2003, 04:10 PM
I think Thrawn worked it out at the time it was released and did a mock up of the back of the packaging to show the omitted names where the window is. Then he ran up a list to show which one was the real 300th but that was a moot list after some scrutinising showed either some omissions or additions. But even thrawns list was just the basic figures the same as hasbro's.

I agree totally that a true list is one including every figure, both figures from a two pack and deluxe and pack-ins. Everything. That way we'd get a true tally on how many figures have actually been made and how many versions of the characters. But, if you include only the figure itself not the packaged versions it makes it easier as you say. I would include a head variant in my version should I venture to make a list, simply because it includes a new sculpt. I would also include the cantina bar sets because those figures have been remodelled in part. They are to all intents and purposes partly a new figure. But I can see how it could get muddy. Hard to see the figure path is, quagmire of re-releases and exclusives it is. mmmmm.

stillakid
03-31-2003, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by EMPEROR JARGO
But, if you include only the figure itself not the packaged versions it makes it easier as you say. I would include a head variant in my version should I venture to make a list, simply because it includes a new sculpt. I would also include the cantina bar sets because those figures have been remodelled in part. They are to all intents and purposes partly a new figure. But I can see how it could get muddy. Hard to see the figure path is, quagmire of re-releases and exclusives it is. mmmmm.

That's essentially what I think too. A "variation" is something really really basic, like a splotch of paint where it shouldn't be. For instance, all that hulla balloo about Boba Fett and which one had some silly decal on it's arm or not. That's just nitpicking. Same figure. Counts as one. But a wholesale head swap, or differing prefixes arm poses (I'm thinking of Ponda Baba here) constitutes a whole new version of the same character. Each new rendition gets it's own moment in the sun. A simple rerelease of a figure in different packaging or repacked in a vehicle or something doesn't count because the figure is cast from a previously released mold.

cassanova frankensti
03-31-2003, 06:19 PM
My response to the intial question: who was figure number 400? is "Who cares?"

seth_quinn
04-01-2003, 04:01 AM
well, it would seem Indiana for one, plus about ten others that have replied to the initial post with something positive and constructive to add to the conversation.

grow up. if you don't have anything good to say, please don't say anything at all. thank you.

mrmiller
04-01-2003, 01:39 PM
Don't you think two packs should count as 2 figures? Or is it only if they are different figures? My head hurts thinking about counting them all.

=MATT=

Kidhuman
04-01-2003, 08:37 PM
Stillakid and Jargo are right. If you are gonna count count them all. The Han thatt came w/ Jabba is different than the rest of them. And for who is number 647,865 I could care less. All it is is a bigger box and 5 more dollars.

stillakid
04-02-2003, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by mrmiller
Don't you think two packs should count as 2 figures? Or is it only if they are different figures? My head hurts thinking about counting them all.

=MATT=

The way that they are packaged should count for squat. If a new figure comes in a two pack, a beast pack, a backpack, or all by itself, it should count as "one." If a figure is merely rereleased in a new kind of package, it doesn't get another point just because of the box it comes wrapped up in.

And, no, ultimately it doesn't matter at all what figure is 400 or 500 or 1000. But if we're going to pay any attention at all to the concept of counting figures, it ought to be done correctly and not in this arbitrary manner that Hasbro would have us believe in.

:)

halcon orlus
04-02-2003, 10:06 AM
It's entirely correct to count each different figure. Preview figures and different head sculpts included.

Perhaps the figures themselves, at least in some waves or series, have numbered codes which can help sort out where they appear in relation to the other figures in that wave. Maybe a number molded on the figure or written on the bottom of the package. Translating some of Hasbro's product codes could help narrow down some of the more difficult calls.

Jerjerrod
04-03-2003, 02:35 AM
I see your point halcon. I just realized that maybe the Saga Imperial Officer should be considered as 3 separate figures after all. I bet when the Imperial 4-pack comes out, they'll consider the AT-ST driver to be a "separate" figure, right? Even though theofficer and the driver share the same body mold. Same can be said for past figures like Tarkin and Piett, if they can be considered as 2 different figures, then the 3 Saga Officers should be labeled as Officer #1 (POTJ), Officer #2 (Saga), and Officer #3 (Saga).

What do you guys think?

OC47150
04-03-2003, 09:03 AM
This is the most interesting and compassionate thread I've read on the board in quite some time.

In the case of the Rebel fleet trooper and the Imperial officer, IMHO, I think the figure should be counted for POTJ and Saga but under Saga make a note that there were different head sculpts.

As for other POTJ figures that are being re-released on Saga cards, unless there is a significant change to the actual figure, I don't think they should be counted twice but some type of note made.

stillakid
04-03-2003, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by OC47150
This is the most interesting and compassionate thread I've read on the board in quite some time.

In the case of the Rebel fleet trooper and the Imperial officer, IMHO, I think the figure should be counted for POTJ and Saga but under Saga make a note that there were different head sculpts.

As for other POTJ figures that are being re-released on Saga cards, unless there is a significant change to the actual figure, I don't think they should be counted twice but some type of note made.

You bring up another point. The issue of lines. Personally, I could give a rats arse what "line" these things are from. All it really means is a new design for the card. Aside from that, who gives a ****, especially after they are freed from the bubble? A figure is a figure is a figure. Equal opportunity for all. Every unique figure gets a vote...it's the American way! :)

As far as lines and cards go, it's all so arbitrary anyway at this point. I'd like to see a wholesale change to having FIVE different cards. One for each film. So if a figure is sculpted after an ESB character, it gets put in an ESB package. AOTC character gets an AOTC package. And so on and so forth. That would make more sense than this silly game they've been playing all these years, plus it would make shopping and collecting far more interesting.

halcon orlus
04-03-2003, 12:03 PM
Agreed. I don't think it should matter what line a figure is from.

And I do get tired of the silly packaging changes. I like the idea of having a different package design for each movie. Likley that sort of thing would give the sales reps nightmares though. :p

evenflow
04-03-2003, 02:47 PM
They should just wait until 500.

ROTJ Jabba the Hutt would be nice though.

Deoxyribonucleic
04-03-2003, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by stillakid
I'd like to see a wholesale change to having FIVE different cards. One for each film. So if a figure is sculpted after an ESB character, it gets put in an ESB package. AOTC character gets an AOTC package. And so on and so forth.

hmmmm....I LIKE! Gosh, that would really look spiffy too and make it easier to pick out what we want, not that it's real hard now, but imagine a few pegs for each movie, and since I'm more into collecting the classic characters, I could just walk up to the ANH, ESB or ROTJ pegs and get the figs I want (well, if they are there hehe)

Cool idea stillakid, very cool idea!