PDA

View Full Version : FTP Help Wanted

InsaneJediGirl
03-29-2003, 11:03 AM
Not ever using FTP myself,and now in the position of where its needed,I'm clueless!:zzz: :o

I am trying to upload a word document into a website(this website to be exact (http://www.ep.coe.ufl.edu/2002/johnson-josef/index.htm)).What in Siths name am I doing wrong?I've been trying all morning to do a file transfer but the dumb thing won't let me.Any ideas?Suggestions?You guys are my only hope;) ;) :o

plasticfetish
03-30-2003, 03:29 AM
What FTP program are you using?

Exhaust Port
03-30-2003, 09:40 AM
I'm new to the website world but have been using WS_FTP95 LE with great success. It's pretty straight forward. As plasticfetish asked, what program are you using?

InsaneJediGirl
03-31-2003, 10:54 AM
Guys,Thanks for answering.Shortly after posting,my brain clicked in and I figured out how to do it.I just got extremely frustrated:mad:

I think its a older FTP,I'll have to check,but the most important thing is that its working.;)

darthvyn
03-31-2003, 08:04 PM
for some reason one day, my ws_ftp le just stopped working, so i found a bunch of others on www.download.com

ftp explorer is really good, it works the same was as windows explorer - with the file branch menu on the left, and the graphical file folders and such on the right, then you drag and drop from your local folders. i strongly recommend it...

plasticfetish
03-31-2003, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by darthvyn
for some reason one day, my ws_ftp le just stopped working
I had a similar problem ... had been using it for a while and then nothing. I think the "LE" version is built to kill itself after a while. I bought the "Pro" version a while back (considering how much I use it, I suppose it's the least I could do) and life goes on.

darthvyn
03-31-2003, 08:29 PM
would it tell you that it was used up, or just seem like the file transfer was bogged down, because i never got a message that said the transfer limit was reached, or anything. ftp explorer is a better product anyway. you can store a bunch of logins/passwords, if you have a bunch of websites you regularly upload to... it's really convenient...

actually, i can't really remember if ws could do that, too... but the user friendly nature of explorer is worth at least checking it out...

plasticfetish
03-31-2003, 08:57 PM
Yeah ... it pretty much just started to lag and then it wouldn't work at all. I tried reloading the file a few times (even on different machines) but nothing.

It sounds like WS_FTP Pro and ftp explorer are pretty much the same ... I can create different files and different logins, etc. also. No doubt they're identical.

darthvyn
03-31-2003, 09:08 PM
really? the PRO ver. of ws is that different from the LE ver.? remember, the idea of ftp explorer is that the window looks just like the windows explorer window, with drag and drop, as opposed to browse and pick...

InsaneJediGirl
04-01-2003, 10:13 AM
Thanks for the link vyn.I have WS_FTP LE right now,probably upgrade though,simply because of the "quality" of LE.;)

plasticfetish
04-01-2003, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by darthvyn
really? the PRO ver. of ws is that different from the LE ver.? remember, the idea of ftp explorer is that the window looks just like the windows explorer window, with drag and drop, as opposed to browse and pick...
Frankly, it's been a while ... all I remember specificaly about WS_FTP LE is that it stopped working. ;) Looking at a screen shot of FTP Explorer ... it seems that the differences in the the two are merely cosmetic. Drag and drop versus select and send ... I've been using WS_FTP for so long, it's what I'm comfortable with. It's funny though, if I'd seen FTP Explorer first (6 years ago) I'd have probably used it because I'm so comfortable with the Windows format.

... and InsaneJediGirl, glad you worked it out. :)