PDA

View Full Version : What version of the Classic Trilogy would you buy on DVD?

Tycho
03-31-2003, 04:28 AM
Sure, we've hashed this one out before, but I don't think we ever polled everybody on it.

Here's what we "know."

The Orginal Trilogy (OT) as first released, can be transfered onto DVD's and put out immediately if George wanted to.

The Special Editions as released in 1997 could be transfered onto DVD's and put out immediately if George wanted to.

There is a ton of expanded footage from the Insider's Guide and Behind the Magic CD-Roms, and more that's already prepped to be put on DVD's as bonus material, and it would take less time to re-use that, to add some selling value to 'the first version' of the OT on DVD.

George wants to go back to the OT in 2006 and do some more work on it.

Things like the 'bad Jabba CGI-work' are rumored to be fixed, so Jabba will look right, and the scene stays in.

Things like adding a scene with Jimmy Smits as Bail Organa on Alderaan right before the Death Star shoots, are less credible rumors.

Things like more exterior shots of the Falcon battling TIE Fighters in the Death Star Escape could be representative of cool added footage that doesn't really change the original film, but improves it.

Everyone in the whole world except George likes Han shooting Greedo in cold blood. He was threatening Solo's life, or at the very least mugging him, so Greedo got what he deserved, and Han kept the edge on himself a little while longer.

There are a lot of possibilities here, but let's keep the poll simple.

What version of the Classic Trilogy would you buy on DVD?

sith_killer_99
03-31-2003, 06:40 AM
Simply put, when it comes to Star Wars, I want it all baby!:D

jeffonthego
03-31-2003, 08:12 AM
Simply put, I want BOTH in ONE package!

The way I see it, this should be technically easy to do.

Each scene is recorded as a "chapter", so some chapters would have two versions plus some new SE chapters.

You then select which version you want, and the DVD player then plays the appropriate chapters and chapter versions.

Sounds simple, right? Should be, shouldn't it?

Now, space may be an issue - having these extra chapters, plus multilingual tracks, commentaries, etc.

If so, Lucas can just go the route of the Lord of the Rings SE - that is split it up on two discs.

Sure, means you have to get up to change the disc. But on the positive side, think of all the extra stuff they can jam on to a disc that only has to cover half the movie!

Now I understand Lucas, as a creative artist, wanting to go back and improve on things or do things that he may not have been able to do. Or tweak the story to better tie into the prequels. All this is valid. And personally, I think it's great to see what he would do differently 30 years later.

That said, why does his original masterpiece have to be lost in the process? Why can't he also please all his fans, instead of inexplicably wanting to seemingly banish his original versions to the dustbins of movie history?

George, you can have your cake and eat it too! Just put BOTH versions on the same disc(s)! Where's the problem?

Pendo
03-31-2003, 08:14 AM
I deffo want both. If we could only have one I'd have the original versions, but I would prefer to have both :).

PENDO!

jeffonthego
03-31-2003, 08:27 AM
Along the same lines of my earlier post, if by using alternate chapters, you can get both the OT and new 2006 SE, then why not the "original" SE as well?

The way I see it, DVD is a great format for preserving all of Star Wars history. It should be technically feasible that viewers can sit down and choose one of not two but THREE different versions of each movie.

Why you ask? Well, why not! I mean books will always say what "edition" they are, so people who are interested can track and study the different versions.

Now I'm not planning to "study" Star Wars (though I'm sure future film students will). But just as a fan, it's interesting and fun.

Say Lucas wants to redo Jaba as complete up-to-date CGI - say scraping SE ANH and OT ROJ versions. If he puts three film versions on, you will be able to compare Jabba as a work in progress over the years. Say watching OT ROJ, then SE ANH then 2006 SE ANH/ROJ. To me losing that history is a shame.

And in the end of the day, if the technology can do it, then Lucas
should do it!

Rogue II
03-31-2003, 08:27 AM
I want both...on wide screen.

Mar10Sir
03-31-2003, 08:28 AM
I wish for a four-disc boxed set. One disc for each film which offered the alternative between the OT or the SE (with any new gravy) and one disc of bonus materials which included the "legendary" lost scenes, take-outs and all the cool stuff George usually comes up with.

It should include the "making of" documentaries that have been previously released and maybe, just maybe, the Holiday Special.

No?

evenflow
03-31-2003, 08:30 AM
The bonus disc is a must. I want to see all of the deleted scenes.

Mar10Sir
03-31-2003, 08:33 AM
By the way... I never liked the CG Jabba. Not the one on SE/ANH nor the one on TPM. They should make him look (and sound) exactly like the ROTJ Jabba. THE big, bad-___, huttese gangstah! YEAYH!

erlo9
03-31-2003, 09:41 AM
I voted both, but as a fan of CGI, I would pick the Special editions if I had to choose between the two. One note: I thimk that they need a little more practice on their CGI to get it right. Why was Gollum (in Lord of the Rings) so much beter than any character in any Star Wars film to date?:confused:

Darth Cruel
03-31-2003, 10:19 AM
With the way they are able to put one version on one side of the DVD and another version on the other side (a la Ghostbusters), there is no reason (other than money) that we can not have both versions of each of the three movies on a three DVD set. And I am getting kind of tired of the extra DVDs with the behind-the-scenes stuff on them being packaged with the movies. I like them but I want to buy them in a separate package of their own.

And I don't see why ANYONE would think it is alright to have the deleted scenes on a separate disk...PUT THEM (at least as many as possible) BACK INTO THE MOVIE.

stillakid
03-31-2003, 10:20 AM
I'd like all versions possible. After that, I want to use the emerging digital editing technology to cut together my own "Viewer's Definitive Edition" of the Saga, keeping the good stuff and sloughing off the bad. For the most part, the newer FX have been a great enhancement for the films (ie, the XWing advance on the Death Star), but at times, additions, both Special Effects and Story have been distracting or outright contradictory (ie. Jabba at Docking Bay 94, Qui Gon Jinn). With as much "footage" available as possible, the Star Wars Saga can achieve it's full entertainment potential. :)

Deoxyribonucleic
03-31-2003, 11:05 AM
yep, both versions for me too, easy to do, like they did with the E.T. Dvd or as Darth Cruel mentioned one version on one side another on the other side.

the problem is getting GL over his embarrassment of the Originals, almost a contempt for them, so that they will be available on dvd.

I already have nightmares of what he will do to the special edition dvd releases of the orginals . . . like they might not even be the same films!

aceguide
03-31-2003, 12:03 PM
I would say there should have been an "all three" category...

I want the original release - who doesn't - regardless of what GL thinks they own a spot in SW history.

I want the original special edition. I had no problems with it - and felt that there were few "major" modifications.

Finally, I believe that there is going to be a special special edition following EPIII. More added footage etc.

The real fear will be whether he scraps all previous versions in favor of the last.

stillakid
03-31-2003, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by aceguide
The real fear will be whether he scraps all previous versions in favor of the last.

Count on it.

bobafrett
03-31-2003, 01:09 PM
I put in a vote for both. While I liked some of the extra improvements to the OT, growing up a Star Wars fan, I saw it as it originally was, and I loved it before they added in all the CGI stuff. The SE version I liked mostly the scene improvements, such as making Mos Eisley a bigger looking spaceport and the Bantha's as Luke and Han are being taken to their date with death by Jabba.

Pete
03-31-2003, 01:35 PM
Funny thing, I was on ebay and bought some jewel cases that came with free copies of the trilogy on dvd. I was lucky enough to find both versions too. Was it cheap for both? No. Was it worth? Oh yeah. And if Mr. Lucas had released the trilogy on dvd I wouldn't have had to go to such extremes as purchasing jewel cases that come with free copies of the trilogy on dvd.

I will of course wind up buying whatever collosal box set is released in 2006.

So otherwise I feel fairly indifferent about it right now.:D

Tycho
03-31-2003, 01:55 PM
I seriously don't want to have to change discs in the DVD player while watching one movie.

I plan on finding a 6-disc DVD player (don't they make them? I only see 5 disc out there) and almost never unloading it: my shrine and throne for the entire 6 movie saga!

I like the idea of double-sided discs, versus 4 discs, or even 2, for original and refined special editions. Of course one would have to watch WHAT they are putting face-up in their players, but you could make the same mistake with the 4 disc set and see Greedo shoot first, and Biggs NOT make an appearance in the hanger on Yavin (*but most of us would prefer just the opposite).

The concept of a scene programmable DVD playback, from the split disc sets, to give you the special edition or the original edition is great. I've begged for that many times before.

But we're talking about only 3 minutes to 6 minutes of added footage in the special edition - it really can be all on the same disc, on the same side.

You'd use a chapter-skip function. For example if the Greedo Confrontation is Ch 23, you'd have Ch23A and Ch23B with CH24 being Blasting Out of Mos Eisley.

Simply program your darn DVD player, OR watch Han kill Greedo in cold blood, only to have the Rodian Bounty Hunter come back 1 second later, this time learning to shoot first :rolleyes:

In otherwords, program your tracks you want to play just like how anyone who gets a "Best Hits of the '80's" programs all the tracks but Michael Jackson's to play back, and then watch your movie.

2 CD's are not needed. You just might be deleting 9-10 Chapters of a 50 chapter movie disc, versus what? A 42 Chapter movie disc?

You could fit it all together and put the deleted scenes on an extra disc.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Biggs with Luke on Tatooine is a seriously cool scene, but it doesn't belong in the movie, not without changing it anyway.

The original movie was going to open up with Luke tuning a moisture vaporator with Treadwell, when he breaks down, and Luke notices the flashes of light in the sky (which even given the size of a SD, it'd be hard to make out during the daytime - especially on a planet with 2 suns).

He then rushes to Anchorhead to tell his friends that a battle is going on. We then cut to the blockade runner battle.

It changes the tempo of the Classic films - always opening up with a SD - and it changes the mood.

You go from E3, where it's really dark and the bad guys are kicking butt, to a farm kid and some hope or interest in a new young hero - before you see things are still dark (like when Captain Antilles offers his last breath of resistance to the Dark Lord!)

I think I'm glad they shot the Anchorhead stuff, but it can stay out of the film cut, itself.

Jabba in Docking Bay 94 was a whole 'nother thing. That was great to add back in, because by that time, the character of Han Solo had already been established, and Greedo had spoken of Jabba before he died.

Bail Organa would not be a good thing perhaps, because your sympathy should be with Leia, remembering him, like she was, not looking right at him and another "ooh - there's ILM proving they can rip a planet apart - even with surface shots." We saw that done well in Star Trek: Generations. I think ILM did with Star Trek what they had wished they could do with Alderaan. Too bad it wasn't a great Star Trek movie. (in the likes of "First Contact" I meant) :rolleyes:

Anyway, I've offered a bit more to discuss.

2-1B
03-31-2003, 02:23 PM
Original
1997 Special Edition
2006 Suped up Edition

I want them all ! :crazed:

But I want them released in separate sets, one boxed set per trilogy.

What's this talk about double-sided DVDs? :confused: BAD IDEA . . . I'd rather pull out all of my teeth.

Kidhuman
03-31-2003, 02:24 PM
I voted for both. the original is a must have just the way we all remember it from the movies. It is part of most of our childhoods and should remain that way.

The new versions are cool with all the added footage and effects. But they just can not beat the originals

JediBoulton
03-31-2003, 02:44 PM
I think they should put both versions on DVD. I would like to see the Biggs scene entered into the Movie. When I read the origional comic book, it was cool to learn about Biggs and his interest in the imperial acadmey -- and Luke wanting to join in the fight. There is a lot to be said there -- I think it is time to put it on screen (past time actually). The scene wit Greedo shooting first is a joke -- this should have been left alone. Han was just protecting himself; we preceived a threat -- and DELT with it!

The SE edition was good forthe most part -- but I think it there was someway to mesh them all together -- into ONE film -- I would wait till 2006 to get that effect!

plasticfetish
03-31-2003, 02:56 PM
re-hashing my opinion ... I voted "The original releases, as first shown in theaters." I couldn't care less about the SE version. I would live with the idea of a box set that included both on seperate disks, though one set would grow very dusty.

LuckytheWonderLlamaM
03-31-2003, 03:11 PM
I voted "both". But if Lucas desides to stick to his guns (which he has every right to do), I will gladly buy the Definative version in 2006!

[COLOR=crimson)LONG LIVE THE EXPANDED UNIVERSE[/COLOR] :D

El Chuxter
03-31-2003, 03:21 PM
I want every version of the films released. Beru with the different voice, Maul without blood, VHS version of TPM, etc, etc, etc. I would be happy with four discs per movie, if it were to come to pass.

stillakid
03-31-2003, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by Tycho
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Biggs with Luke on Tatooine is a seriously cool scene, but it doesn't belong in the movie, not without changing it anyway.

The original movie was going to open up with Luke tuning a moisture vaporator with Treadwell, when he breaks down, and Luke notices the flashes of light in the sky (which even given the size of a SD, it'd be hard to make out during the daytime - especially on a planet with 2 suns).

He then rushes to Anchorhead to tell his friends that a battle is going on. We then cut to the blockade runner battle.

It changes the tempo of the Classic films - always opening up with a SD - and it changes the mood.

You go from E3, where it's really dark and the bad guys are kicking butt, to a farm kid and some hope or interest in a new young hero - before you see things are still dark (like when Captain Antilles offers his last breath of resistance to the Dark Lord!)

I think I'm glad they shot the Anchorhead stuff, but it can stay out of the film cut, itself.

Jabba in Docking Bay 94 was a whole 'nother thing. That was great to add back in, because by that time, the character of Han Solo had already been established, and Greedo had spoken of Jabba before he died.

Bail Organa would not be a good thing perhaps, because your sympathy should be with Leia, remembering him, like she was, not looking right at him and another "ooh - there's ILM proving they can rip a planet apart - even with surface shots." We saw that done well in Star Trek: Generations. I think ILM did with Star Trek what they had wished they could do with Alderaan. Too bad it wasn't a great Star Trek movie. (in the likes of "First Contact" I meant) :rolleyes:

Anyway, I've offered a bit more to discuss.

What if the Holiday Special was on the disk, then we could select those Cantina shots in the menu so they appeared during ANH! :D

Jargo
03-31-2003, 03:52 PM
I say both too. In terms of giving people a sense of where it all came from and where it all ended up, compare and contrast. As a creative individual i see sense in showing the origins of a work of art by allowing the viewer to see the sketch and the over painting, the roughed out pieces on other canvases. If george is a true film maker he can see how releasing both would allow him to educate people about his methodology. He is entitled to rework his oevre, but by limiting access to only the latest overpaint, the latest repaint, he denies the world a chance to judge his work for what it really is. He shows insecurities and embarrassment at his earlier efforts where there is no need. His first work in the saga is an exemplary piece of craftsmanship for aspiring film makers. How is only showing a piece of digitised and digitally painted tinkering going to inspire? all it serves is to inspire computer artists but if he wants to keep people interested in making real movies, then what does he stand to lose by showing the original cut including the cut scenes?
The evolutionary process of this monster saga is what makes it so appealing to many. The decisions behind the trims and the omissions are intriguing and it's only by seeing those pieces of the jigsaw and learning about them and their place in the saga's history that a person can truly take in the scope, depth and breadth of the piece as a whole.
Releasing the original cut with commentary and archives alongside the newer version with suped up mixed up cleaned up shine makes the whole of the experience seem more appetising than a pure commercial release of just the latest version with all the latest fad and whim edits.

Darth Jax
03-31-2003, 04:47 PM
i want the originals on DVD. if that means having to buy the special edition as well so be it. i'm just looking forward to the time that at one setting all 6 films can be viewed, back-to-back-to-back.

Maximillian Phokas
03-31-2003, 05:53 PM
I absolutely want both, and believe me, whether it all comes in one box, or sold separately, people will buy!

Take PJ's Lord of the Rings series. This is a brilliant marketting plan, as people have the options of either the theatrical release, as well as the Extended Version, AND these releases have come out within a year of the movie in theaters! Mr. Lucas, we KNOW you can do this.

Lucasfilm might as well get in on the profits for the Classic version, since one can easily purchase pirated Chinese versions of them on eBay, or from private dealers who have the equipment to burn them. That already is a note that people WILL buy them, plus, it would be so nice to see Han Solo once again the mercenary he was by shooting Greedo and ONLY shootinh Greedo. Come to think of it, the original uncut version of the Cantina scene had shots of a barmaid on Han's lap as well. Talk about violating Lucasfilm's PG ratings!

People will also buy the "final" version as well, for the special effects, and hopefully for the restored Biggs scenes, but we shouldn't leave the original version we all grew up on, to the dustbin of the VHS.

I really don't know why it's taking Lucas so long to release these, since he cranked out Episodes I and II within the year. Oh well.

stillakid
03-31-2003, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by Maximillian Phokas

I really don't know why it's taking Lucas so long to release these, since he cranked out Episodes I and II within the year. Oh well.

He's waiting until he finishes ruining the continuity of the OT so he can go back and "fix" it all at once.

Maximillian Phokas
03-31-2003, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by stillakid
He's waiting until he finishes ruining the continuity of the OT so he can go back and "fix" it all at once.

Right, at this rate, Jar Jar will shoot Greedo, the Cantina Band will be replaced by the Backstreet Boys, and the Death Star will be one gigantic walkie-talkie.

oh yes, and let's not forget editing the dialogue to "...years ago, you served my father during Attack of the Clones" :)

mini-rock
03-31-2003, 09:34 PM
I picked both, and as much as I would LUUUUUVVVV to have the OT (original) on DVD, even if GL decides not to I'm glad I still have the LD's for both.:)

Jerjerrod
03-31-2003, 09:46 PM
Bring on Both, that would be awesome. But we probably won't see that happen. I like the Special Edition better, but the Original is far from an embarrassment. I hope the trilogies will be available in a 3 pack, or 6 pack, so fans can choose to buy whichever is necessary, instead of making us buy episodes 1, 2, and 3 twice.

dr_evazan22
03-31-2003, 09:50 PM
I'd like a DVD w/ all 3 versions as well.

I would even buy one version now and another boxed or anthology edition later once all teh films are released.

skeeziks22
04-01-2003, 05:44 AM
I think some of us are getting way off track trying to determine which type of DVD we want. The poll asks what version of the movies we want on DVD. I voted for both, or all three if it comes to that. Heck, I bought the OT on VHS twice because the second release was supposed to have improved sound and picture...

I think this poll may actually be helpful, but I really doubt the DVD designers are going to listen to us when we say how they should be arranged on the disks. Shoot, if you can't figure out what side to face up, or that you need to place disk one in before disk two then there are some problems. No reason to have any of the movies split onto two disks... none of them are that long.

Tycho mentioned a six-disk shrine! I like this idea... they should have all the disks pre-loaded in the six disk player and have the actual player in the shape of the Falcon and sell it in a seriously decked out package maybe even with an exclusive figure. Damn that would be cool!

Ok, so that won't happen... at least we can hope Lucas and company let us have all versions of all films on DVD.

If more revamps are in order I say fix

- Bib Fortuna in TPM (I swore it was a different Twilek)
- Jabba... EI he's bigger than in EIV SE, and EVI the puppet version is just the best
- cross-eyed yoda in EI (EII was good... looked more like he did in Empire)
- Black lines around the Rancor... come on already!
- I'm sure there are more, but that will do for now...

jeffonthego
04-01-2003, 06:54 AM
Has Lucas said that he wants the OT to disappear? What's the deal?

I completely understand his excitement at updating the old films and tweaking his six-piece serial at the end so it all fits together they way he wants it.

But he can do that without banishing the OT at the same time. Does he have no pride in what he accomplished all the way back in 1977?

ANH is a seminal work in the history of filmmaking and sci fi. But when people look back at the film, isn't part of it to see just what he was able to accomplish in what is fast becoming the stone age of special effects?

Yeah, from a fan perspective, I also am excited to see his vision redefined come 2006. But at other times, I want to be able to go back and marvel at what he did way back in 1977.

VHS tapes will be soon be long gone, and while digital formats will keep changing rapidly too, at least DVD discs have like an extremely long shelf-life.

C'mon George, put it all on digital format for posterity and let fans, film students and whoever else decide in the future what they want to see.

Really, what the %$#@ is wrong with you?

jonthejedi
04-01-2003, 12:13 PM
I'm an old fart...49 years to be exact...so I still have the orig. laserdisc trilogy before special editions even came out. I would like both versions, too. They just did this with E.T....so why not Star Wars???! Thank God my 1985 Pioneer laserdisc player still works like the day I bought it!

corporal AMF
04-01-2003, 01:39 PM
Oh jonthejedi you're a very lucky guy..........those are relics !:crazed:
I wish I have a rip of those lovely laserdiscs !

JediTricks
04-01-2003, 05:35 PM
I voted "BOTH".

I hear the non-SE Laserdiscs have some incredible commentaries and other features, that's the type of stuff I'd like to see on DVD. I believe just transferring them to DVD would be a good thing, though their image quality isn't up to DVD.

I'd like a superbit version of the originals and whatever new modifications Lucas has in mind for the future, but not of the '97 SEs simply because some of the digital work doesn't hold up in clean viewings.

Ultimately, the Special Edition project was initially to save the classic trilogy from being destroyed, but if Lucas doesn't release the originals in some sort of high-quality popular home medium that won't degrade over time then the CT will have been lost just as he initially feared.

Deoxyribonucleic
04-01-2003, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by JediTricks
but if Lucas doesn't release the originals in some sort of high-quality popular home medium that won't degrade over time then the CT will have been lost just as he initially feared.

Hey, GOOD POINT, seriously! The whole hubbub of the SE was partially to save the OT from never-neverland anyway!

scruffziller
04-02-2003, 08:55 AM
They should release the whole shabang all versions, all featurettes, deleted scenes. If this is GL's last SW project he should go out NOT holding back.

kadamontaga
04-02-2003, 01:05 PM
I'd vote if there was a "Don't care either way." option.

scruffziller
04-02-2003, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by kadamontaga
I'd vote if there was a "Don't care either way." option.

That would be the same as "both" because that means you could buy whichever your hand crossed over first.

kadamontaga
04-03-2003, 02:12 AM
I don't agree with that.

David Denny
04-03-2003, 05:24 AM
I would like both on the same dvd but that wont happen the will put the new one out only till everone get it and then put out the old ones then everone will buy it after that and everone has 2 sets then they will make them in one set with something new so we buy them and on and on . i now have 5 dif. sets
of just VHS so i would all the DVDS

Sentinel18725
04-03-2003, 10:56 AM
Both...both...both!!!

trowa_barton
04-03-2003, 12:04 PM
Next thing you know he will want to redo the entire OT, with...
Luke-Leo Dicaprio
Han-Harrison Ford
Leia-Cameron Diaz
Darth Vader-Arnold S.
Lando-Chris Rock
Chewie-Yao Ming
R2D2-Vern Troyer?-Mini Me(whatever)
C3PO-Himself
Emperor-Ian Makellen

Who knows?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-05-2003, 04:05 PM
I want the original versions, the 20th anniversary special editions, and the archival editions. First, the classic and special editions: Release each movie as a three-disc set, one for original, one for special edition, and one for extra features. These packages should be designed like the TPM and AOTC ones are, and have the same kind of covers from the VHS set that were out in 2000 (but a little different, just how the covers of the VHS and DVD releases of the prequels are).
Once those are out, re-tool all 6 films to fit together and have better effects, and release that as a 6-disc set, and perhaps wth a documentary or two on each disc (they can fit). Make it a big old box set, with new designs for them all.

Mad Slanted Powers
04-06-2003, 12:03 AM
I voted for both. I would like to see everything there is to see. I enjoyed the special editions. I didn't have much of a problem with the Han/Greedo thing. It was so fast, Han may have been planning to shoot already anyway, or maybe he was able to do something to mess up Greedo's aim, otherwise how could he have missed at such close range. Also, I liked the TPM Jabba better than the ANH SE Jabba.

I liked all the other improvements to ANH. I always thought the view of the TIE fighter that led them to the Death Star looked kind of phony. It looked a bit better in the SE. I think the scene with Darth Vader holding a white saber was still in the SE though.

I think my only complaint about the ESB SE was the elimination of the line where Luke tells Artoo it's good he doesn't taste too good.

ROTJ is the SE I probably liked the least, as I liked "Lapti Nek" better than the big production number they put in it's place. I liked the new end music, but I liked the original as well. I could go either way on that.

I hope they put out a box set that has everything in it. Even throw in the Ewok movies, the Droids and Ewoks cartoons, the Holiday Special, and the upcoming Clone Wars cartoons. I haven't seen any of those except the Holiday Special, and I hardly remember anything about that, though perhaps that is a good thing.

Well, that is just a few of my thoughts on the subject.

Devo
04-07-2003, 07:08 PM
Ideally we'd get all versions, but the gist i'm getting is that we're only getting either the special editions or ultimate editions. Of the two I'd prefer the special editions, for nostalgia value since they were the first time I had ever seen Star Wars in the cinema. I have fond memories of watching ESB SE, the benchmark of the saga in my opinion, despite having a desperate need to urinate throughout the entire film*. In retrospect those cgi additions were an ominous precursor for the crappiness of the prequel cartoons, sorry "live action" films (apologies to anyone who likes them). You can imagine then that I wouldn't be interested in 'ultimate' editions which in any way linked the classic films to the travesty of a trilogy we're currently being force fed. At most I'd hope they'd just redo the dodgy lightsabers in Episode IV.

*Picture the scene: A bladder rapidly reaching maximum capacity and causing physical pain - yet I do not dare relieve myself for fear of missing a new scene.

bandontherun
04-08-2003, 11:26 PM
If they continue with each movie being a two-disc release, then the first disc can include the original and the second the special edition. There is still lots of room for special features and it will satisfy everyone: Those familiar with the originals and those who want the newest and, in my opinion, better releases.

Unkle Mike
04-21-2003, 10:37 PM
Personally, I would have no problem paying say, $120 for a definitive box set of Episodes IV, V, &VI -- provided we got all versions of the film and a buttload of extras. I'm by no means rich, either. I am a college student who has to sell plasma to buy groceries as it is. Hopefully that puts it into perspective.

I actually paid for some bootleg copies of the SE just so I could have DVD copies of my favorite movies, but I would gladly buy the licensed product when it comes out, too.

Actually, the versions of the Trilogy that were released on laserdisc just before the SE came out are phenominal, THX certified copies with tons of commentaries, interviews, and other goodies. If I had a DVD burner, I would take matters into my own hands, but I can't afford to -- yet. I just hope George decides to release the movies I love in the versions I remember from a long time ago in movie theatres far, far away...