PDA

View Full Version : Spider-Man!!

Rollo Tomassi
11-15-2001, 11:31 AM
Check it out! (http://www.spiderman.sonypictures.com/protected/specials/s_50_480.mov)

Rollo Tomassi
11-15-2001, 11:43 AM
And this!! (http://www.spiderman.sonypictures.com/protected/specials/s_51_480.mov)

Mandalorian Candidat
11-15-2001, 12:14 PM
Aahhh! Spidey-licious!

And kids, don't forget...Spiderman starts with 'S'!

bigbarada
11-15-2001, 02:03 PM
I get nothing but a blank white screen with the little Quicktime counter going off below it.:cry:

master jedi
11-15-2001, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by bigbarada
I get nothing but a blank white screen with the little Quicktime counter going off below it.:cry:

The same thing is happening with me.

Rollo Tomassi
11-15-2001, 05:44 PM
Sorry guys. Somebody was naughty at Sony and made everybody take them down. The link at www.darkhorizons.com might still work...

preacher
11-15-2001, 06:10 PM
If you go to the spiderman website you can see a really cool picture of the green goblin:rolleyes:

Oh man...

I really hope that isn't the final version of Green Goblin. He looks like robotic beebop of ninja turtles fame.

That is beyond lame. If that is an indication of what the Spiderman movie is in for I think I will save my money for a bag of popcorn when Attack makes its debut. What the heck was Raimi thinking when he dreamt that green goblin get up? First he wanted organic web shooters, now this?? Somebody smack the idiot with an oar. Please?

I was really looking forward to my favorite super hero being made into a cool movie. Now I have my doubts.

GNT
11-16-2001, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by master jedi
The same thing is happening with me.

Me too,So what was it? A new trailer? Can't wait for Spiderman,another comic turned movie *sigh* hope they dont ruin it!

JediTricks
11-16-2001, 07:50 AM
I got the same thing, a 3 meg QT counting off zippidy do dah. Oh well.

Preacher, you're quite right about the Goblin, he doesn't cut the mustard IMO either.

As for the organic web shooters, those were an idea of James Cameron's from way way WAY back when this project first got written.

Obi-Don
11-16-2001, 11:03 AM
I'm looking forward to the movie.I hope they don't mess it up like they do with a lot of super hero movies.Not counting the superman movies.

Rollo Tomassi
11-16-2001, 11:11 AM
Not really a trailer, more like one quick scene from the movie. Spidey swings down between some buildings and then flips and lands on the side of his brownstone and then somersaults down in thru the window. Then Aunt May, Norman Osborne, and Harry Osborne come up the stairs calling for Peter who has just taken off his mask but still has his costume on. The camera is facing a worried looking Peter Parker, then it whips around to show May and them walk in the room, then whips back around to show an empty space. Norman walks into the room and the camera pans up low angle to show Parker hanging from the ceiling. Norman pauses and then his eyes get all evil squinty. Then "SPIDER-MAN" comes up on the screen. It was very short, but the Spidey CGI looks infinitely cooler than the stuff in the original trailer. it's too bad they took it down...

preacher
11-16-2001, 03:07 PM
JT,

So it was James Cameron's brain child. I wouldn't expect anything less from man who subjected the Titanic audiance to Dicaprio's over-acting. So lets smack him with an oar for coming up with the organic shooters thing and then move along to Raimi's house and smack him for that Green Goblin. Why oh why didn't Raimi go with Sam Ross's depiction. That version of the Goblin is respectable, but this armor get up is just sad. I didn't even see any pumpkin bombs! How can he make Spiderman look so absolutely cool and then turn around and botch the goblin? It makes me greatful that Doc Ock won't be in this one. I can only imagine how that villain would have been dipicted. I can just see a robotic octopuss with pincers and green overalls. I cringe at the thought of Raimi's interpretation of Venom. He would probably be like flubber.

I guess on the bright side its a good thing Tim Burton wasn't selected to make spiderman.

GNT
11-16-2001, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by preacher
I didn't even see any pumpkin bombs!

The Goblin does have pumpkin Bombs,But I don't know what they look like(it'll probably be a big disapointment anyway...)

JediTricks
11-17-2001, 01:56 AM
So it was James Cameron's brain child.More like 'brain fart', Cameron's script is supposedly pretty heinous, and this current script went through 4 more script doctor's hands, though I hear Raimi totally gutted the script anyway. I think Cameron is just plain ol' untouchable now that he's #1, you could hit him with a hammer and he'd bleed cash. ;) As for Spidey, I wouldn't know what to make of his version, but Raimi is SUCH an unpredictable director, that we could be stuck with some dreck like Darkman or Army of Darkness, or Raimi could make a HUGE left turn (I hear he is quite capable of these).

However, the Goblin armor MAY not be the Goblin's main costume in the film, I don't know where this image came from, but someone sent it to me so here it is: (attached)

preacher
11-17-2001, 12:09 PM
Now that's more like it! :D

I could live with a goblin in that type of armor but not some droid looking thing with pointed ears.

I'm glad Raimi didn't adopt Ultimate Spiderman's goblin. That would have been lame. The Goblin is supposed to be maniacal but genius. The one in ultimate (I'm referring to the comic) looked like an ogre and could barely blurt out five words.

I knew Raimi did Army of Darkness. I thought that show was pretty hilarious actually. But I wasn't aware he had also done Darkman. Now I might be the one that gets a hammer thrown at but I kind of liked Darkman's rugged story. The follow up to that movie I thought were awful. Return of Durrant (oh brother, like durrant was that great of a villain in the first one) Die Darkman Die I never he bothered with.

Magnolia-Fan
11-17-2001, 04:55 PM
I didn't even see any pumpkin bombs

I saw a photo of one a while back. I think it was at www.darkhorizons.com

I'll see if I can find it again.

Magnolia-Fan
11-17-2001, 05:01 PM
Here you go...

http://www.moviefxmag.com/movies/spiderbomb.mov

Rollo Tomassi
03-22-2002, 02:57 PM
I was at TRU looking for Star Wars figgies (why do I bother? TRU is becoming the new Target.:mad: )

Anyway. I saw the Spiderman Storybook and I thought: Movie stills! I flipped through it and was suprisingly pleased (or pleasantly suprised, take your pick.) The shots of Spidey looked really cool, catching crooks, fightin' crime. then the Green Goblin showed up in that retarded armor. It made Spiderman look goofy just being in the same photo. It was weird how the movie went from looking cool, to looking like it was made for $2.50. All because of that stupid GG armor.

EUUCHHH!:crazed:

SWAFMAN
03-22-2002, 06:18 PM
I just downloaded and watched the trailer for the new Spiderman movie with my son. I thought it looked really exciting and my 10-yr. old went ape-shirt over it. I do agree that the green goblin's costume was pretty unimpressive. Sorta PowerRangers-meets the bad guy from Jingle All The Way. But the costume is a non-issue for me, as long as Willem Dafoe is playing him. I've thought he was excellent ever since "To Live and Die in LA."

What I saw in the trailer, the effects of Spiderman swinging and leaping around looked excellent. If the movie turns out to be a dog, then whoever cut the trailer is a magician. Even if the movie turns out good, this was a top-notch movie trailer for visual and sound editing.
(If there isn't already one, I think there ought to be an awards entitiy specific to movie trailers. There could be one category for "Best Trailer Making a Bad Movie Look Great.")
Also based on the trailer, I thought Toby Maguire was a good fit for Peter Parker. Can't be sure until I see the whole movie, but in the segments I saw, I readily accepted him as the character.

I have the approx. 21MB Quicktime .mov file of the trailer if anyone wants it, and is capable of receiving an email attachment of that size. Lemme know, and I'll send it your way. It requires Quicktime version 5.0.2.15 to play it, but that is a free d/l from Apple. (I had to completely un-install the prior version of Quicktime, and install the new version - upgrading didn't work for me.)

Also, the Sony - Spiderman (http://www.spiderman.sonypictures.com/) website is promising a new trailer in 5 days.

------------

BTW, anyone hear anything at all about the planned Summer 2003 release of "Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines," other than Arnold is supposedly already signed-on?

JediTricks
03-23-2002, 12:44 AM
I'm still super-hyped about this movie, but there's this scene they keep showing in the ads that drives me bonkers, when Spidey is doing a super-long swing up over the Brooklyn bridge - this thing looks like a cartoon! I hope the CG looks better than that, or it'll be hard to look past that. Other than that, the fugly armor for GG, and what still appears to be the worst casting for MJ, I think this could be a really great film. (ok, I'm still not sold on Tobey as well ;))

bigbarada
04-10-2002, 03:11 AM
The only major problem I have with the film is that MJ is going to be in it at all. Spider-Man's first love was the receptionist Betty Brant, then Liz (I think, it was Flash's old girlfriend), then Gwen Stacy. If anything the first film should have focused on Gwen as Spidey's love interest. Then killed her off, like in the comics, in the second film (I know what movie directors say about always surprising the established fans; but look at LOTR, everyone who read the book knew what was going to happen to Gandalf. Did that lessen the impact of it?) It's like watching a WW2 movie, we all know who wins, we just want to experience how it happened.

One thing that really bothered me about the trailer was a small scene were it looked like MJ was being knocked off the Brooklyn Bridge. I find that kind of crappy to turn Gwen's death, one of the major turning points in Spidey's life (and a major turning point in comics, where the hero unintentionally kills the damsel in distress), into simply another last second rescue. Because we all know that they won't kill off MJ.

BTW, off topic of the movie, does anyone else think it was a MAJOR mistake to have Spidey and MJ get married in the comics? I do. Same with Superman and Lois.

Wolfwood319
04-10-2002, 04:32 AM
Good call on that MJ sequence of her falling of the bridge. I also found that to be a bit un-true to the comics, especially since Sam Raimi is a huge Spidey fan, but also says he's favorite story arch is the death of Gwen Stacey. I still have high hopes for this movie. This is Raimi's first true test of "Big Time'' Hollywood, IMO, and I hope he does well.

I haven't kept up with Spidey within the last year, but last I checked, MJ and Peter were seperated, Aunt May found out Peter was Spidey, and they were dropping hints as to a new origin for the web slinger. The guy who writes "Amazing" now is J. M. Stryzinksy, the creator of Babylon 5.

Rollo Tomassi
04-10-2002, 02:57 PM
I quit reading comics back in the early 90's with the whole Ben Reilly Clone thing. And Aunt May died, and then they brought her back. WTF??

SWAFMAN
04-11-2002, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by SWAFMAN
anyone hear anything at all about the planned Summer 2003 release of "Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines," other than Arnold is supposedly already signed-on?

read this answer (http://www.zap2it.com/movies/news/story/0,1259,---11572,00.html) to my own question today:

(excerpt) Principal photography is set to kick off April 15 and is scheduled to wrap Sept. 4 with director Jonathan Mostow ("U-571") at the helm. Warner Bros. will distribute domestically and has now officially set July 2, 2003 as the release date.

SithDroid
04-12-2002, 01:24 AM
The only major problem I have with the film is that MJ is going to be in it at all. Spider-Man's first love was the receptionist Betty Brant, then Liz (I think, it was Flash's old girlfriend), then Gwen Stacy. If anything the first film should have focused on Gwen as Spidey's love interest. Then killed her off, like in the comics, in the second film (I know what movie directors say about always surprising the established fans; but look at LOTR, everyone who read the book knew what was going to happen to Gandalf. Did that lessen the impact of it?) It's like watching a WW2 movie, we all know who wins, we just want to experience how it happened.

BTW, off topic of the movie, does anyone else think it was a MAJOR mistake to have Spidey and MJ get married in the comics? I do. Same with Superman and Lois.

I think that Gwen Stacy should ahve been in it as well over Mary Jane, but I think that a lot of people wouldn't know who she is because she died back in the 70's. Mary Jane is more popular, so that's what they went with.

Liz can't be the Flash's girlfriend because he is owned by DC and Spiderman is owned by Marvel unless DC was alright with them using that reference.

I think that the only reason they marry these characters is to increase comic sales. Now Cyclops and Jean Grey are separated and Jean Grey is getting on Wolverine.

JediTricks - I agree that casting Kirsten Dunst was not a good casting choice. She looks NOTHING like Mary Jane. A better candidate with real red hair would have been Alicia Witt. The Green Goblin Armor is kind of disappointing. I would have liked the classic costume, but what can you do?

Rollo - I quit reading Spiderman about the time of the whole Clone story arc as well. It was too confusing and I still don't know who was/is the real Spiderman, Peter Parker or Ben Reiley. Which one is the real Clone? Also bringing back Aunt May is lame. A super hero I can understand because they have super abilities and can get around it, but just a regular person, WHAT? Also they only kill off major characters to increase sales as well like when Superman was "supposedly" killed by Doomsday, or when Cyclops was "supposedly" killed, or by killing off Colossus. Also we're on our 4th Flash I think and our 3rd Robin and I believe there were two Hulks (Bruce Banner and David Banner). Plus they just killed off the Joker recently. Boy everbody is dying nowadays.

SWAFMAN - Is that true that it is Warner Brothers who has the rights for T3? I beleive the Terminator Franchise is owned by Universal.

Wolfwood319
04-12-2002, 03:43 AM
I think BB was referring to Flash Thompson, not the Flash Flash :crazed:

The old rule in comic book mythos, is that only Uncle Ben and Jason Todd (Robin II) stays dead. Every other character I can think of just doesn't stay dead. Think about it.

Phoenix/Jean Grey
Aunt May
Hal Jordon
Green Arrow
Cyclops
Superman
Most of the JSA
Gwen Stacey
Doc Ock
Spawn (well okay...:rolleyes: )

There is too much freedom in the "big 2" these days. Sales are slumping of a book, "Hey, lets kill off Aquaman..." People show reinterest in an older character "Hey, lets bring back GA!" Not to mention that the continuity of almost every core superhero book out there is screwed beyond recognition. I've read every copy of X-Men and U. X-Men every, and I still don't know what the hell is going on in the books these days.

I always thought that Nikki Cox (from Unhappily ever after) looked the part of MJ.

2-1B
04-12-2002, 03:46 AM
Have any of you seen any Spidey fast foods ads? Lately they've been hammering away on TV with a restaurant (Hardee's) promo around here . . . I am almost certain that's a regional chain, but the ads seem to be cut so that any number of restaurant chains could be inserted. :confused:

Beast
04-12-2002, 03:49 AM
Originally posted by Wolfwood319
The old rule in comic book mythos, is that only Uncle Ben and Jason Todd (Robin II) stays dead. Every other character I can think of just doesn't stay dead. Think about it.
Actually I think Marvel's "Do not reanimate" charecter is "Bucky". I think Uncle Ben has appeared in the comics in alternate reality issues where he didn't die, and such. But Captain America's sidekick will be permanently pushing up daisys. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Wolfwood319
04-12-2002, 03:54 AM
Well, they did have a female Bucky in that Heroes Reborn line..... I also believe at some point there was a push to get him to return in the regular comics, alas, it didn't pan out.

Uncle Ben I think has always stayed dead too, aside from flashbacks, alternate realities, etc. But in the "real life" of the characters, he was dead. His death is the reason PP is Spidey, is it not?

Also, they haven't brought back Colossus yet either, I don't think.

JediTricks
04-12-2002, 05:16 PM
SithDroid, I think Wolfwood is right about it being Flash Thompson.

As for Alicia Witt, she's a bit fair-haired naturally, but with some darker red dye... yowza would she be a better choice!

I am not surprised mega-corporation AOL/Time/Warner has the Terminator movie power, when Carolco (the company that had T2) went under, it was a big shake-up.

Caesar, we don't have Hardees out here and I haven't seen Spidey in any fast food ads, but I've seen Spidey in ads for a cell phone provider and... something else, I forget what it was. Kinda shameful IMO, Spider-Man should really have a cleaner image than this, the franchise shouldn't be turned into another pitch-man a la Episode I with Pepsico/Tricon.

Question about Bucky, wasn't he originally a pre-Marvel Captain America character? That might have something to do with it (though IMO, he shouldn't have existed at all :D)

Wolfwood319
04-12-2002, 05:59 PM
Yeah, Bucky was Cap's sidekick in his Golden Age days under the "Whizz Comics" banner, not Marvel. Whizz later formed into Marvel, somehow. But Marvel owns all of that Golden Age era properties, I believe. I'm a bit shady when it comes to Golden Age. Something about an era that releases comics like "Captain Marvel vs. Hitler" is just off putting. I'll take my government propoganda on CNN and MSNBC thank you very much. :rolleyes:

I noticed that Kellogs has Spider-Man licensing. I got some cool Spider-Man stickers from my waffles, and a cool "Web Shooter" from my Cocoa Krispies. I don't have a Hardees around me either, so I can't comment on any fast food ventures.

I also found that the new Go-Gurt is sporting an AOTC license. I got some today, and the packaging has "glowing Lightsaber" action, and on the back of the box they have pictures of Anakin, Kit Fisto, Vader, and Mace Windu. Pretty neat, IMO.

SithDroid
04-12-2002, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by JediTricks
SithDroid, I think Wolfwood is right about it being Flash Thompson.

As for Alicia Witt, she's a bit fair-haired naturally, but with some darker red dye... yowza would she be a better choice!

I am not surprised mega-corporation AOL/Time/Warner has the Terminator movie power, when Carolco (the company that had T2) went under, it was a big shake-up.

Caesar, we don't have Hardees out here and I haven't seen Spidey in any fast food ads, but I've seen Spidey in ads for a cell phone provider and... something else, I forget what it was. Kinda shameful IMO, Spider-Man should really have a cleaner image than this, the franchise shouldn't be turned into another pitch-man a la Episode I with Pepsico/Tricon.

Oh, Flash Thompson, sorry wasn't thinking.

Oh yes, the beautiful Alicia Witt.

Well If AOL/Time/Warner owns the new T3 movie rights I guess we can kiss a 3-pack DVD release goodbye.

I think that the equivalent of Hardees in LA is Carl Jr's. I used to live in California before I moved back to the midwest and the mascot, the winking start is the same, plus the Hardees here advertises the $6 burger for $3.95 the same as Carl Jr's does.

2-1B
04-13-2002, 02:09 AM
Originally posted by SithDroid
I think that the equivalent of Hardees in LA is Carl Jr's. I used to live in California before I moved back to the midwest and the mascot, the winking start is the same, plus the Hardees here advertises the $6 burger for $3.95 the same as Carl Jr's does.

OK thanks, that makes sense - now I remember hearing about Carl Jrs before . . . and about that 6 dollar "burger" (;)), that's exactly what Spidey is hawking in that ad. He actually webslings one. :rolleyes:

JT, you're right about Spidey's image . . . I hope I don't see any ads of Yoda pouring a bowl of cereal. :(

JediTricks
04-13-2002, 02:24 PM
Weird, out here, Carl's Jr (home of the Famous Star and one of the older fast food chains in the country, I'm guessing there was some sort of merger along the way) still has their obnoxious "trying hard to not care that we wanna look cool"-style ad campaign; no spidey.

"Stays crispy in milk, it does. Nine essential vitamins and minerals, it has. Tastes Force-alicious, you will agree! Eh heh heh heh!"

bigbarada
04-13-2002, 03:39 PM
Anybody else find that Carl's Jr commercial with the "supermodel" eating one of their burgers really irritating? It's like they had the microphone in her mouth and you can hear every crunch and smack and gulp. Disgusting! I assume they cut out the second part of the commercial, y'know where she's throwing it all back up into the toilet.:D

Did Marvel revive Gwen Stacy? What a load of crap! I think everyone who has worked on Spider-Man from Todd McFarlane up to recent times should be drug out in the street and shot. Okay, maybe not everybody, just Todd McFarlane. :evil:

2-1B
04-13-2002, 06:23 PM
Anybody else find that Carl's Jr commercial with the "supermodel" eating one of their burgers really irritating? It's like they had the microphone in her mouth and you can hear every crunch and smack and gulp.

I've not seen that ad, but it reminds me of being in a movie theater. Wow, I wish theaters would sell something more popular than popcorn. :(

Wolfwood319
04-13-2002, 06:51 PM
They brought back Gwen Stacey during that epic saga known as "Maximum Clonage!" Yes, it was bad, and is considered one of the worst storylines in Spidey's history, and yes it is ridiculed to this day.

I liked Todd's artwork on Spidey, but other than that, it sucked. I can't even remember most of the Spidey writers during the 90's besides Todd. Maybe Howard Mackie, who is also known for spilling out crap.

I went into a Hardees a few times, and didn't like it at all. I do like Carl's Jr. though. I go to ones when I visit my mom. But, the granddaddy of all burger joints is Fatburger! Nothing comes close.

JediTricks
04-14-2002, 11:22 PM
Anybody else find that Carl's Jr commercial with the "supermodel" eating one of their burgers really irritating? It's like they had the microphone in her mouth and you can hear every crunch and smack and gulp. Disgusting! I assume they cut out the second part of the commercial, y'know where she's throwing it all back up into the toilet.:DFirst off, that last sentence was the funniest thing I've seen all day.

Secondly, I think the foley on those stupid "Don't Bother Me, I'm Eating" commercials is awful. According to those ads, every Carl's Jr burger being eaten sound either like an apple or someone cutting a head of lettuce. I have eaten their food once or twice and mostly what it sounds like is "...... EWWW! GODDAMNIT! There's ketchup and mayo all over my shirt!!!" It's not bad fast food, but they go way overboard on the liquid condiments (unless it's barbecue sauce, then they use an eyedropper to apply it).

It's certainly no In & Out Burger (http://www.in-n-out.com) though, who are 10 times the product that Fatburger is, IMO. (BTW, I heard a rumor that Magic Johnson bought the Fatburger chain, is that right? I haven't been to one in like 6 years even though there's one a few blocks away from me... with the world's slowest drive-through!)

Oh yeah, um... Spider-Man better not be a bad movie or I will lose the last little shred of faith I have in humanity.

JediTricks
04-17-2002, 10:31 PM
Ok, I've now seen the Carl's Jr Spidey commercial and I can honestly say... YIKES!!! Get that garbage off the TV!

2-1B
04-18-2002, 02:29 AM
"There's only 2 things Spiderman will take off his mask for - cut to MJ removing the mask to kiss him - and the 6 dollar burger - cut to webslinging of said burger - " :D

JT, (I'm not trying to beat a dead horse here, but I just responded in the theater courtesy thread so it's fresh on my mind), about that guy scarfing the burger - now imagine him eating popcorn like that: that's what I was complaining about. :D

Lone Jedi
04-18-2002, 10:54 PM
I've only seen the TV commercials for Spider-Man. Is it just me, or do the effects shots look like they could've been done better? Some shots look like Spider-man himself is CG (I'm not sure if this is true). The lighting in the scenes of him swinging don't match the background well. I'm not a Spider-man fan, but don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing the movie either. It's just that some of the special effects don't look any more real than the Geonosis battle scenes. Just my thoughts.

JediTricks
04-19-2002, 04:48 PM
Yeah, a lot of the action scenes with Spidey are CG Spidey and they LOOK like CG, the movement seems unnatural and the lighting is "cg-perfect" which never matches the real-world surroundings.

I'm hoping that I'll either be able to ignore this or these shots will be cleaned up more before the final theatrical release because if not, it's gonna feel soulless.

derek
05-03-2002, 04:35 PM
well, i skipped work today to go see spiderman, not because i'm a huge spidey fan, but because i didn't really "feel" like working, but after seeing the movie, i wish i had gone to work.

the film, for the most part, was well done, but i just had a "seen that before" feeling about the whole film. nothing really stood out as mindblowing. this film was no where near bad, but it wasn't as good as x-men, and the 1989 batman flick.

maybe i'm not just a big spider man fan, but numerous people were cheering at the end of the movie, so if you are a die hard spidey fan, i guess you won't be disapointed.:)

Anakin Skywalker243
05-04-2002, 12:13 AM
Ok I have six words for you it was a kick *** (can I say *** of the forum?) movie. Kirsten Dunst was hot (sorry hormones raging their) and Tobey Maguire what terrific as Peter Parker/Spider-Man even William Defoe as Norman Osborn/The Green Goblin was also great in it so overall I would give it six stars.

dirtybones
05-04-2002, 12:16 AM
Just seen it! wow

jjreason
05-04-2002, 02:26 AM
Sorry to rain, but I had some problems with the show. Let's start with what was good, though, just to be fair:
Very good fights with Goblin
Very good web slinging effects
Very good climax with Spidey dealing with a tough choice in Spidey fashion
Here's what I didn't like....
Toby Maguire. Lifeless. It's too hard for a normally stoic actor like Maguire (see WonderBoys) to create false energy. They should have had a normally energetic person acting nervous and quiet. The best ever at this (in a super hero movie) was Christopher Reeve, but I think Matthew Broderick was the guy, not Toby Maguire for this role. We can argue the age thing back and forth, I think they should have done the origin via flashback.
I didn't like Kirsten Dunst either, cute but not a real super model knockout like I picture MJ (who actually is a supermodel in the comics).
I liked Willem Dafoe, and whoever played Harry Osborn. I didn't like J. Jonah Jameson. I did like Betty Brant (HOT!). I didn't like Aunt May and uncle Ben.
I didn't like Raimi's horror movie quick edits for fright tactic. I know he's from that school, but it didn't suit me.
I didn't like the dialoque between Dunst and Maguire for the most part. Some nice sequences, but the actual words they were saying were more corny than realistic. Time for a dialogue consultant like George Lucas used for this episode II. He saw there was trouble and asked for help. Marvel should have, too.
I didn't like the biological web shooters. Pete's a chemist, he could have figured out the web shooters himself.
All in all, Spider-Man was disappointing to me. I thought with all the hype and extra long wait this would kick way more ***$ than it did. X-Men good, Spider-Man bad. Hulk good?? I hope so.

187-Maul
05-04-2002, 08:50 AM
man, spiderman isn't out in france untl 12th of june...at least episode 2 is out only one day later or so than USA

stillakid
05-04-2002, 11:55 AM
On the whole it was pretty good. I liked that it wasn't a standard "action" comic book film. This one at least attempted to have depth to it, however it seemed to slow the pace down unnecessarily at times. I liked how they introduced the character, but I too didn't like the biological web-shooter solution. I agree on the Kirsten Dunst thing as well. She's cute but that's all. MJ needs to be Smokin' Hot and Kirsten doesn't cut it. Flash wasn't quite up to the classic image of himself either. Toby did an okay job I thought as Parker. That introspective nature came through better with him playing it down rather than having Spidey do that annoying talking to himself thing from the animated version. Most of the FX were okay, but waaayyy obvious when Spidey was CG. In fact some of the cuts between CG and live were annoyingly obvious.

All in all, an entertaining couple of hours.

dirtybones
05-04-2002, 01:49 PM
I really liked the web-shooter solution it made him"spider-man" I hated the way it was done in the comic with peter having always running out of webbing. It was done well for the first movie in the saga. Just as TPM was for the StarWars saga. All IMO.

derek
05-04-2002, 02:04 PM
reports are this movie made $41 million just on friday!

but i don't see how this thing cost $100 milion to make. it's not like toby is getting a $25 million salary.:)

scruffziller
05-04-2002, 02:51 PM
This movie had the best consistencey to accuracy in accordance to the comics than any other comic-based movie I had seen.

master jedi
05-04-2002, 03:39 PM
It was a good movie and very entertaining. I certainly liked it more than X-Men but that's just me.

DeadEye
05-04-2002, 10:15 PM
I liked this movie very much. The actions scenes alone are worth the price of admission.

DeadEye
05-04-2002, 10:17 PM
I loved this movie. I loved X-men too.

SithDroid
05-05-2002, 12:20 AM
I saw it last night and it was awesome. People even went crazy over the HULK preview that they showed. Tobey Maguire was great as Spiderman and Willem Dafoe was the perfect Green Goblin. James Franco played a really well Harry Osbourne. The only person I didn't really like was Kirsten Dundst. She is a really good actress, but this role just didn't suit her. She is pretty good looking, but by no means drop dead gorgeous, no pun intended. I guess she just didn't hold up to the Mary Jane that I have always imagined. Everyone else was perfect. I highly recommend you go see this if you are a Spiderman fan, it was really true to the comic book.

QLD
05-05-2002, 02:54 AM
Has anyone else seen this yet?

I have never been a big comic reader, just picked one up here and there. Most of what I leanred about SPidey I learned from the numerous cartoon series, by word of mouth, or by said occassional comic.

However, I thought the movie was great. Especially compared to most comic book movies. I went in totally expecting it to suck, despite me liking Sam Raimi. However, I was very pleasantly surprised. The action was good, not too much CGI, at least compared to what I expected, and they stayed fairly close to the original story as I remember it.

I'd say a 7.5 out of 10.

Beast
05-05-2002, 03:01 AM
Try here for more opinions, QLD. They put all the movie threads from the General Discussion section, to the Movies - Other section. :)

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7479

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1861

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

bigbarada
05-05-2002, 03:11 AM
I've always had a problem with MJ in the comics. Spidey is supposed to be the quintessential "average guy" superhero. So, how many average guys have a super-model for a girlfriend/wife? Stupid.

2-1B
05-05-2002, 03:32 AM
Re: Dunst - I just wish it rained the whole movie :D

Well, I didn't expect to like Toby too much, but I was very pleased by his performance. I really hoped I wouldn't have to be too harsh on the Goblin, but I thought it was pretty stupid. Dare I say that Cyber Jason was less of a joke than this guy. I don't understand that costume, and found nothing entertaining about the character.

Why couldn't MJ realize within a 3 minute time frame that Pete and Spidey had the EXACT same voice?

Why would the general public accept the idea that Spidey was involved in the Goblin's crimes?

Overall, it was worth seeing and I did enjoy it but it could have been much better. Since many people are comparing it with X-Men, I'll go ahead and say that I liked X-Men a lot more. ;)

187-Maul
05-05-2002, 08:37 AM
could some moderator please combine these three threads so you don't have to click through 3 threads to read the same stuff?

derek
05-05-2002, 09:47 AM
big barada,

ever heard of billy joel? rick okasik? two very average guys with hot wives. what about howard stern? he's very average but dating a hot chick.:)

i know they are celebraties,so chicks may overlook their looks but so is spiderman, in a way.:)

stillakid
05-05-2002, 10:28 AM
I've always had a problem with MJ in the comics. Spidey is supposed to be the quintessential "average guy" superhero. So, how many average guys have a super-model for a girlfriend/wife? Stupid.

That's the problem I had with Midichlorians. How many average guy's have Midichlorians? (bad example I know;) )

Yes, and the supermodel thing, cash/power/cache = hot chicks. Regular guys with jobs at Walmart = ordinary chicks with "great personaliites." There are exceptions, of course, but on the whole...

SWAFMAN
05-05-2002, 11:09 AM
spoiler alert - skip if you haven't seen the movie

saw spidey last night. liked it a lot. was sorry dafoe had to die at the end since he was such a terrific villain, but that's life, I guess. my kid hasn't seen the movie yet, but he saw the trailer, and he claims that the GGoblin's son becomes GGoblin after his dad is killed. sounds like the plot for sequel, I guess. that kinda bums me out, because I want to see them try to do Doc Octopus. but as others have said elsewhere in this forum, I DON'T like the superhero movies where they cram too many villains into one film, so I don't want a sequel to have both the 'son of green goblin' and Doc Oct. although, from a production standpoint it would make a lot of sense to split the villain load between these two, since the cost and CG work of doing justice - SFX-wise - to all of Doc Oct's independently moving arms is gonna be unbelievable. at least with two villains, theoretically the Doc Oct character would have less screen time.

who, from the current actor gene-pool, would you cast for Doctor Octopus? My first choice would be Harvey Keitel.

(I'll bet someone could make a few million $$ marketing posters of a still-frame of Dunst in that wet t-shirt "gee, it's chilly out here!" scene!!!)

SWAFMAN
05-05-2002, 11:21 AM
re: jjerason's: I didn't like the dialoque between Dunst and Maguire for the most part. Some nice sequences, but the actual words they were saying were more corny than realistic.

more corny than realistic???
hello out there?!? it is a movie adaptation of a COMIC BOOK!!! in that sense, and especially in the spirit of it being peter parker and MJ, I thought the corniness was appropriate.

stillakid
05-05-2002, 11:24 AM
[B]

who, from the current actor gene-pool, would you cast for Doctor Octopus? My first choice would be Harvey Keitel.

(I'll bet someone could make a few million $$ marketing posters of a still-frame of Dunst in that wet t-shirt "gee, it's chilly out here!" scene!!!)

I don't know how, but I had forgotten about the wet tshirt shot. Purrrr!

Doc Oc was a fatter guy, wasn't he? More rounded, like a Jack Black (although he is all wrong for it). I can't think of any "full figured" men actors at the moment.

SuperBattleDroid88
05-05-2002, 01:09 PM
I wish the prequel would be with Venom or Carnage.... THAT WOULD BE AWESOME!!!!!! I hope they do because they are the best Spiderman villians!!!!!!!!! :)

QLD
05-05-2002, 02:00 PM
I have never been a big comic reader, just picked one up here and there. Most of what I leanred about Spidey I learned from the numerous cartoon series, by word of mouth, or by said occassional comic.

However, I thought the movie was great. Especially compared to most comic book movies. I went in totally expecting it to suck, despite me liking Sam Raimi. However, I was very pleasantly surprised. The action was good, not too much CGI, at least compared to what I expected, and they stayed fairly close to the original story as I remember it.

I'd say a 7.5 out of 10.

I did like it better than X-Men. And it is close to Superman and Batman.

2-1B
05-05-2002, 02:09 PM
I was alright with the dialogue (well, except for when Robo Goblin was talking ;) ). Ben and May provided some grounding, and Pete and MJ were cool in their dialogue. :)

bigbarada
05-05-2002, 02:28 PM
Venom and Carnage would be nearly impossible to put in the next movie, unless a complete rewrite is done on where the costume came from. If they do that, then they'd have to find a new reason for Venom to hate Spider-Man. Venom was one of my favorite characters, until Marvel tried to turn him into some kind of quasi-hero, so I would love to see him in a film; but I think there should be one film to show the origin of the black outfit first, before Venom pops onto the scene. I'm not talking about bringing the entire Secret Wars story to the big screen (which would be awesome if you think about it); but just a small part showing the alien origins of the black costume. Sure you could cram the suit's origin and Venom's origin into one movie; but you'd probably end up with an hour-and-a-half of set-up with a half hour confrontation at the end.

I could care less if we never see Carnage onscreen, talk about a flat, 2 dimensional, poorly written character. Even for a comic book.

As for the MJ issue, I've always just liked Gwen Stacy better I guess.

I still haven't seen the movie yet, forest fires in this area keep knocking out power to the town, so I would rather not be in the middle of a crowded theater when all the power goes out. I'll watch it next week when the fire is, hopefully, more under control.

Question for those who have seen the movie, the biggest problem I had with the Batman flicks was the villians constantly upstaging Batman himself (the first movie should have been called "The Joker" not "Batman"). Did that happen with Spider-Man?

2-1B
05-05-2002, 03:07 PM
Oh no bigB, Gobs does not upstage Spidey . . . unless you prefer your villains looking like they are from a Power Rangers movie, cackling like a fool. :rolleyes:

Beast
05-05-2002, 03:30 PM
Venom and Carnage would be nearly impossible to put in the next movie, unless a complete rewrite is done on where the costume came from. If they do that, then they'd have to find a new reason for Venom to hate Spider-Man. Venom was one of my favorite characters, until Marvel tried to turn him into some kind of quasi-hero, so I would love to see him in a film; but I think there should be one film to show the origin of the black outfit first, before Venom pops onto the scene. I'm not talking about bringing the entire Secret Wars story to the big screen (which would be awesome if you think about it); but just a small part showing the alien origins of the black costume. Sure you could cram the suit's origin and Venom's origin into one movie; but you'd probably end up with an hour-and-a-half of set-up with a half hour confrontation at the end.
They could do it similar to how they altered the origin of the black costume / Venom for the Marvel animated series. They couldn't afford to do Secret Wars at the time, since they would have had to pay rights for all the Marvel Charecters that appear in that storyline. So they had the Space Shuttle crashing into the Brooklyn Bridge (I think), that had samples they found while on a mission to another planet on board. Spidey saves the 2 Astronauts as the shuttle explodes, but he gets some black tar like goop on his costume. The next morning when he checks his costume that he hung in the closet, it's completly covered with the substance. Sure Secret Wars would be cool, but they would need more then 1 movie to tell the whole story, not to mention how much the royalties would be for all the charecters that appear in that storyline. :(

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

SithDroid
05-05-2002, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by SuperBattleDroid88
I wish the prequel would be with Venom or Carnage.... THAT WOULD BE AWESOME!!!!!! I hope they do because they are the best Spiderman villians!!!!!!!!! :)

How could they do a prequel to Spider-man? The story starts at the beginning. Plus the Venom storyline happens WAY down the road in the comics series.

I'd love to see Venom in the movie. Secret Wars will NEVER happen in a Spider-man film becuase it is TOO huge, plus all the different Marvel characters are split up between different studios (which I think is a bad idea on Marvels part). So no crossovers will ever be likely.

The Sinister Six would be really cool to see, but I think that may be TOO many villains for Spidey to handle in one film. But there are a lot of villains for Spiderman still to deal with: Venom, Carnage, Doc Oc, Vulture, Electro, Chameleon, Sandman, Rhino, Hobgoblin, Lizard, etc....

By the way SWAFMAN - Harry Obsourne DOES become the next Green Goblin (in the comic). After his father is killed he seeks revenge on Spider-man and turns into Green Goblin II. Which is set up perfectly in the movie, but before they decide to take that storyline, I'd like to see a different villain.

THE Slayer
05-05-2002, 08:44 PM
What's the quick version of the secret wars??

I agree, No Hobgoblin in Spiderman 2.

JediTricks
05-06-2002, 01:05 AM
Originally posted by 187-Maul
could some moderator please combine these three threads so you don't have to click through 3 threads to read the same stuff? You got it.

I have to wait till tomorrow or maybe Tuesday to see it, but DANG is that a big take! ($114 million domestic, biggest opening weekend BO of all time)

stillakid
05-06-2002, 01:07 AM
You got it.

I have to wait till tomorrow or maybe Tuesday to see it, but DANG is that a big take! ($114 million domestic, biggest opening weekend BO of all time)

Yah. Mr. Raimi has a blank check for his next epic. Damn, I wish I was him right now.

Wolfwood319
05-06-2002, 01:16 AM
Originally posted by stillakid

Yah. Mr. Raimi has a blank check for his next epic. Damn, I wish I was him right now.

Evil Dead 4, Baby!!!!!!!

Ummm...harummm...ok back to reality.

I think that the next pic should be with either Doc Ock, the Lizard, or the Scorpion. I hope these movies don't go the way of the Batman films though, with every other movie having 2 villains that team up:rolleyes: though. Maybe have an opening scene of Spidey dealing with someone like the Shocker(first 20 minutes or so), and then have the rest of the movie deal with the main baddy. Plus, Spider-man was a little over 2 hours, a lot of which was his origin (which was done great, btw). So if the next movie is 2 hours long, they could fit a decent amount of stuff in. Save the Harry Osborne GG for Spidey 3 or 4.

I also want to see more of JJJ in the next movie. I think he was played perfectly, and he was really good, IMO.

2-1B
05-06-2002, 01:38 AM
Did you catch Stan Lee in the balcony scene? At least, I thought I saw him. And of course Bruce Campbell was in the movie, but i don't have to tell the Evil Dead fans that! :D

Beast
05-06-2002, 01:42 AM
Originally posted by Caesar
Did you catch Stan Lee in the balcony scene? At least, I thought I saw him. And of course Bruce Campbell was in the movie, but i don't have to tell the Evil Dead fans that! :D
Yep, I spotted him also. He's an old guy on the street that grabs a little girl and takes off with her as the balcony starts to collapse. Very cool cameo for the king of comics, and definatly less irritating then any of Steven King's movie cameos. And don't forget, "Macho Man" Randy Savage as "BoneSaw"...OH YEAH!!! :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

2-1B
05-06-2002, 02:01 AM
Lucy Lawless was also in the movie. ;)

I figured it was Stan, what with the death shields and all. :D

SithDroid
05-06-2002, 02:05 AM
Why couldn't MJ realize within a 3 minute time frame that Pete and Spidey had the EXACT same voice?

Why doesn't Lois Lane realize that Clark Kent is Superman? Heck he only wears glasses and Spiderman has a whole mask.

I was waiting for Bonesaw to say "Snap into a Slim Jim.":D

Is Evil Dead 4 a possiblity now?

Don't forget about Ted Raimi everyone.

J.J.Jameson was great, if anyone is a fan of OZ on HBO then you probably enjoyed J.K.Simmons as Jameson. He was perfect. I would have liked to have seen more of the Bugle, so hopefully we will in the sequel.

SithDroid
05-06-2002, 02:27 AM
I was just looking through the cast list of Spiderman on the IMDB and there is a character by the name of Eddie Brock. I don't remember seeing Eddie Brock at all, so does anyone remember if they saw someone that resembles him? This could be quite important because as most Spidey fans know Eddie Brock later becomes Venom. I wonder if this will lead into the sequel?

2-1B
05-06-2002, 03:21 AM
Why doesn't Lois Lane realize that Clark Kent is Superman? Heck he only wears glasses and Spiderman has a whole mask.

Don't worry, I haven't forgotten that either. ;)
To complete the trend, I'll pose this, "Why doesn't everyone realize Palpatine is Sidious?" :D

LOL at Randy Poffo, notice how he did the same hand wave at the crowd that he did as Macho Man? I thought it was funny that his fans had saws with which they "sawed" their arms. :)

I'm not sure what purpose Macy Gray served . . .

JetsAndHeels
05-06-2002, 11:42 AM
I saw Spider Man Friday night and I loved it. I think Tobey McGuire was the perfect cast as the lead role. His portrayal as Spidey is good, but his part as Peter Parker is what really makes him shine. The background on him was good (and not boring like some other movies tend to make them) and the action scenes were great. Cant wait to get this one on DVD.
And yes I saw Stan Lee, but I missed Bruce Campbell.

Beast
05-06-2002, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by JangoFett96
And yes I saw Stan Lee, but I missed Bruce Campbell.
Bruce "Don't Call Me Ash" Campbell is the Ring Announcer for the Wrestling Match. He's the one that gives Spidey his name, after Peter tells him his name is "The Human Spider" Bruce tells him it's a terrible name, and then goes on to announce him as "The Amazing Spider-Man". :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

2-1B
05-06-2002, 12:17 PM
Bruce was the ring announcer. :)

Originally posted by derek
ever heard of billy joel? rick okasik? two very average guys with hot wives. what about howard stern? he's very average but dating a hot chick.:)

Lyle Lovett had a good run for awhile too. :D

stillakid
05-06-2002, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks

Bruce "Don't Call Me Ash" Campbell is the Ring Announcer for the Wrestling Match. He's the one that gives Spidey his name, after Peter tells him his name is "The Human Spider" Bruce tells him it's a terrible name, and then goes on to announce him as "The Amazing Spider-Man". :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

My "Bruce Radar" is usually pretty good, but somehow I didn't pick up on it that he was the ring announcer. Ted was the easy find, though. Sam Raimi movies are kind of like playing Where's Waldo.:)

stillakid
05-06-2002, 12:22 PM

Look no further than Mr. Lucas. He's got keys to the Grotto.

If I were the type of guy to judge another guy, I'd have to say the Michael Bay isn't an ugly guy, but he's got a lesbian Playmate girlfriend noless.

In the world of the rich and famous, membership has it's privileges.;)

SWAFMAN
05-06-2002, 02:06 PM
Look no further than Mr. Lucas. He's got keys to the Grotto.
(??????????)
hey, stillakid, I'd like to buy a clue on this one. does Lucas have some hottie as a girlfriend/wife?

Darth Ovori
05-06-2002, 02:38 PM
I thought it was kids movie and did'nt enjoy it...
I did'nt like the acting, the cast was wrong and to be fair that red/blue costume was maybe cool years ago in the comic, but in the movie it was so retro...

I still say that if a Spiderman was going to be made ,I would of had the Black alien costume Spidey with Carnage as the bad guy... And made something fresh for the new generation of Spiderman fans...

And yes, Mathew Broderick all the way...

2-1B
05-06-2002, 04:09 PM
Good question Swaffy,
and stillakid please don't say "Linda Ronstadt" 'cause she doesn't count! :D

Hellzer
05-06-2002, 08:58 PM
Did anyone else catch the line where Peter says that "Dr. Connors" fired him for being late again at his job at the drug store? Do you think they were alluding to the same Dr. Curt Connors that turns into the Lizard? That could be a nice subtle mention of the next movie's supervillain.

stillakid
05-06-2002, 11:37 PM

(??????????)
hey, stillakid, I'd like to buy a clue on this one. does Lucas have some hottie as a girlfriend/wife?

Artist Alexander Presniakov Places Playboy Playmate Brande Roderick Up For Auction

SAN FRANCISCO--(ENTERTAINMENT WIRE)--Feb. 25, 2002--Curvaceous Playboy Playmate of the Year Brande Roderick will star in a different kind of role: art model and auctioneer!

The multi-talented blond bombshell is known for exposing her assets in Hugh Hefner's magazine and is popular on the hit TV show, Baywatch Hawaii, but now one lucky dog will see more of her than has ever been revealed.

She'll take it all off for Alexander Presniakov, a renowned San Francisco-based painter who has painted President Ronald Reagan, Princess Diana and Prince Charles.

Roderick was initially hired to host a pre-auction party and to orchestrate the painter's first U.S. auction, but after seeing his work, she fell in love with the idea of being painted by the charming Presniakov -- an eligible Bay area bachelor.

Presniakov's big break came at age 18, painting romance novel legend and high society woman Barbara Cartland's portrait for $200,000 back in 1981. One of his favorite art models is the current girlfriend of George Lucas.

2-1B
05-06-2002, 11:45 PM
Okay, I'm looking at my watch and it doesn't say April 1st, so I don't know what to make of this! :crazed:
How many other guys are named George Lucas?

Oh, I see - they're saying Barbara Cartland was his girlfriend? That makes more sense . . .

A quick Spider-Man note:
I do think the CGI was pretty cool, but the overhead shots of Pete jumping across buildings was not very believable.

stillakid
05-06-2002, 11:57 PM
Okay, I'm looking at my watch and it doesn't say April 1st, so I don't know what to make of this! :crazed:
How many other guys are named George Lucas?

Oh, I see - they're saying Barbara Cartland was his girlfriend? That makes more sense . . .

Billionaire. Playmate. Party. The Introduction. Hey, how's it goin? Fine. Want a ride in my Ferrari? Sure. Giggle. He shoots. He scores. The crowd goes wild.

JetsAndHeels
05-07-2002, 12:19 AM
George is the man!!

bigbarada
05-07-2002, 04:45 AM
Originally posted by Darth Ovori
I did'nt like the acting, the cast was wrong and to be fair that red/blue costume was maybe cool years ago in the comic, but in the movie it was so retro...

I still say that if a Spiderman was going to be made ,I would of had the Black alien costume Spidey with Carnage as the bad guy... And made something fresh for the new generation of Spiderman fans...

I find kids movies to be the best movies, instead of those piece of crap "adult" movies that pollute the theaters.

How's hiring a washed up 40 year old actor making the movie fresh for a new generation of fans? :rolleyes:

2-1B
05-07-2002, 05:12 AM
I'm still perplexed by the George / Brande thing . . .

stillakid, I don't think that article is saying that Brande is George's girlfriend. I think Brande is a different person than this unnamed "favorite art model"

But Brande was once a member of Hef's harem, so anything's possible. :D

stillakid
05-07-2002, 12:21 PM
I'm still perplexed by the George / Brande thing . . .

stillakid, I don't think that article is saying that Brande is George's girlfriend. I think Brande is a different person than this unnamed "favorite art model"

But Brande was once a member of Hef's harem, so anything's possible. :D

Nope, that's them. That isn't the only article or mention of this that I've seen. That's the only article I could dig up on short notice. George is dating a freekin' Playmate. sigh.

bigbarada
05-07-2002, 12:38 PM
What do you guys expect? Before TPM came out and made nearly a billion dollars in ticket sales, GL was listed as like the 14th richest man in America. He can shop for his girlfriend the way we shop for action figures.

Wolfwood319
05-07-2002, 01:39 PM
What do you guys expect? Before TPM came out and made nearly a billion dollars in ticket sales, GL was listed as like the 14th richest man in America. He can shop for his girlfriend the way we shop for action figures.

I wish we could shop for action figures like he shops for girlfriends.:rolleyes:

2-1B
05-07-2002, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by stillakid
Nope, that's them. That isn't the only article or mention of this that I've seen. That's the only article I could dig up on short notice. George is dating a freekin' Playmate. sigh.

Wow, I did a search last night and I found several articles on her but the only one with George's name was the one you cited. Unreal.

Now I have to head to the pop-up ad thread to complain about the porno pop-ups that showed up while searching Brande Roderick. :rolleyes:

SWAFMAN
05-07-2002, 05:53 PM
Attachment: brande_roderick_151.jpg

yep, that'll work!

SithDroid
05-08-2002, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by Darth Ovori

Are you even a Spider-man fan? Don't get me wrong, but the movie was perfect. Sure the costume might be retro, but that IS what makes it Spider-man. The same could be said for Superman and Batman also, but no one complains about them, because they are CLASSIC and so is Spidey's costume. I didn't quite like Green Goblin's costume because I wanted the Classic costume, but I wasn't upset about it being different.

I disagree on it being a kids movie. It hit a wide range of ages.

The cast was PERFECT IMO, all except for Mary Jane. Kirsten Dundst was not a good choice for this role.

How could we have the black costume with Carnage as a villain? In the comic Spiderman gets rid of the black costume because it is a symbiote lifeform and it has a mind of it's own. The costume then bonds to Eddie Brock, who turns into Venom. The black costume breaks into prison to free Eddie Brock and leaves behind a piece of the costume, which grows into a separate symbiote lifeform and bonds to his prison cellmate Kletus Cassidy. How could Spidey have the black costume if he indeed gave it away, which created Venom, which in turn created Carnage? See. I know my Spider-man history so this would be impossible, unless the movie studio decided to completely IGNORE the comic, which I don't think that they would do. Plus Venom is way cooler and more popular than Carnage so he would become a villain way before Carnage ever would. The black costume is pretty lame IMO. Plain and boring. I don't think we need something new for the next generation of Spider-man fans, $114 million speaks for itself. Let's not cheapen the franchise by playing it up to the teenage generation of movie goers.

Matthew Broderick? What? Why? I don't think having a 40 year old Peter Parker would have been a good choice. He is completely wrong for the part. Tobey Maguire was perfect, he had the look, the acting ability, heck even the body once they pumped him up. Saying Matthew Broderick would have been a better choice is an insult to Tobey.

Bosskman
05-08-2002, 02:08 PM
I agree completely Sithdroid, Toby was perfect. He WAS both PP and Spidey. I only wish he'd changed his voice a bit as Spidey but that's alright I guess. Broderick would have been wrong for so many reasons I couldn't list them all here.

2-1B
05-08-2002, 02:17 PM
SithDroid, how do you feel about the organic webshooters?
I remember when some die hards put up the "no organic web shooters" web page. :D
Personally, I thought it was cool that they changed it, but I'm not a Spidey comic fan.
:)

SithDroid
05-08-2002, 02:24 PM
SithDroid, how do you feel about the organic webshooters?
I remember when some die hards put up the "no organic web shooters" web page. :D
Personally, I thought it was cool that they changed it, but I'm not a Spidey comic fan.
:)

I actually liked the idea behind it. That was always the one thing in the comic that I never understood. He gets every single power that a spider has EXCEPT the ability to shoot webs. I never liked that idea because I always believed that if he obtained all the other powers then he should have obtained that one as well, so I actually didn't have a problem with it at all.

leenovak
05-08-2002, 07:12 PM
I caught Bruce Campbell, and Stan Lee...where was Lucy Lawless?

Mike Troxell
05-08-2002, 07:54 PM
I just got back from seeing Spiderman. I have never read a Spiderman comic in my life (in fact, I've never looked at a non-Star Wars comic), but I loved the flick. I think if people would look at the movie as a separate entity and not as an adaptation of the comic book, they would be much less critical (much like Lord of the Rings).

I don't know what the Green Goblin looks like in the comic, but I think they did a better job than people give them credit for. I like the fact that his mouth and eyes are visible through the helmet.

I always assumed Spiderman's webshooters were organic, considering he had all of the other Spider powers organically. I thought it was kind of stupid when I found out the comic Spidey had silly-string web or something ;)

I liked Kirsten Dunst. Never seen her in anything before, but she is beautiful (and with the red wig she looks exactly like my friend Lisa :))

All-in-all, a great script, good pacing, great performances, and a brilliant score by Danny Elfman. I will definitely catch this one in theaters again, buy the DVD, and the score CD on June 4 :D

Wolfwood319
05-08-2002, 10:00 PM
I've been a Spidey fan since I was about 5, and have been reading the comics since then as well, and I thought the movie was perfect.

The idea behind the organic web-shooters I thought was cool. Mades sense when you think about it. I think by also doing it, Raimi eliminated problems that may have arisen by using it. It made things simple.

What is really cool though, is seeing kids not only go to see the movie, but then go to a comic book store and buy a Spidey comic for the first time. I think a lot more kids are going to get interested in Spidey now, and that's a good thing.

I thought Kirsten Dunst was pretty decent, but I wasn't expecting much from her. Dafoe was perfect though. Absolutely, drop dead, perfect as Norman Osborne. So far, I think he's the best comic book villain put on the big screen so far, thanks to Dafoe. He's even better than Nicholson as the Joker, IMO.

Carnage would never work as a movie villain, heck, he hardly worked as a comic villain. I don't even that Venom would translate well to the big screen. Raimi, I hope, will stick to classic SA villains.

Wolfwood319
05-08-2002, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by leenovak
I caught Bruce Campbell, and Stan Lee...where was Lucy Lawless?

Lucy Lawless was the Punk chick that they interviewed when they did all the different street interviews about Spidey.

bigbarada
05-09-2002, 04:03 AM
Even though I haven't had a chance to see the movie yet, I am totally pumped that it is doing so well in the theaters. I guess Spider-Man is the new "hot" comic book property. Good, no one has deserved it more.

My nephews are 2 and 4 years old and they already love Spider-Man. I don't really think they know what he does; but the red and blue costume catches their eye everytime. Why change it to a boring monotone leather and latex suit like Batman and the X-Men? You end up with your main characters being upstaged by the scenery! Extremely boring on a visual level. Keeping the red & blues was the best decision Sam Raimi made.

I've been a Spider-Man fan all my life (in fact I've been a Spider-man fan longer than I have been a Star Wars fan) and the organic shooters don't bother me that much at all. I've always thought that having Peter make his web shooters was stretching the level of plausibility too far. How talented can this guy possibly be? If his genius is taken too far then he just ends up being annoying like Wesley Crusher on Star Trek:TNG.

SWAFMAN
05-09-2002, 11:39 AM
I've noticed Maguire taking heat from some folks here, and elsewhere, about his "low energy" acting style. Personally, I liked him, and accepted him completely as Peter Parker. Accepting him as Spider-Man is a non-issue to me, since he was probably only in the suit long enough to swap spit with damp/chilly :D Dunst, and a stunt dude & CG animator were doing the rest of the Spidey "acting."

Anywhoo, what I was really wondering was if anyone knows what other actors tried out for the role?

[added at 16:50 5/9/02..] great responses below, everyone - thanks for the info!!! :)

2-1B
05-09-2002, 01:10 PM
Freddie Prinze Jr. really lobbied for the role, and
James Franco (the guy who played Harry Osborn) was a candidate until Toby beat him out.

bigbarada
05-09-2002, 02:06 PM
Tobey Maguire has that everyguy feel about him that is perfect for Spider-Man. Freddie Prinze Jr. and James Franco are to "heartthrob-ish" for the character. I seem to remember hearing that Matt Damon, Jim Carrey and Leonardo DiCaprio were all considered at one time or another within the last several years.

SithDroid
05-09-2002, 04:08 PM
OK, Freddie Prinze Jr. would have sucked. When I actually see a decent movie that he does, then perhaps I'll give him more credit, but he is kind of boring and is always the same in every movie. Scooby Doo looks AWFUL. I'm avoiding that until it comes on video.

James Franco is a really good actor, but he doesn't have the look for Peter Parker.

Matt Damon, too old.

Jim Carrey, way TOO old.

Leonardo DiCaprio, uh Does he still act? :eek: :D He would have been horrible as well.

Mike Troxell
05-09-2002, 04:50 PM
I think Spidey was beautifully cast as far as the role in the film goes. Plus, I really liked Toby in his other flicks...

I can't say how he fits in with the comic Parker, but it was still good :)

JediTricks
05-09-2002, 09:54 PM
I finally saw this film last night and I thought it was fantastic. In my mind, it has some flaws (CGI action scenes, Kirsten Dunst, web-swinging through the streets scenes, not enough quips), but this film is great because it is so MUCH better than the sum of its parts - something you can't say about most films these days. This film reminds me a bit of Batman '89, except Spidey was more subtance than style (Batman was vice-versa) - I can't wait to go back and see this film again.

At first, I thought Tobey McGuire was too much of a stone-face, relying on his dialogue for his acting, but he loosened up after the first hour and it just felt right. This kid carries this film and he does an incredible job of it.

As for Kirsten Dunst, sorry, but I thought she was totally wrong for MJ, she's supposed to be so physically appealling to all these different guys with those looks? I don't see it, and I hope the "model" aspect of her character doesn't try to surface in any sequels as I really couldn't buy Kirsten Dunst as a model.

With the CGI, I knew I'd hate it going in, the TV promos for this film looked very cartoony, way less convincing than Ep 1's digital characters; but it was a lot easier to forgive than I imagined - though it was never totally convincing. The CGI characters moved all wrong though - very unnaturally without body rebounding or natural alterations in mid-motion - there were a lot of "lack of imperfection" issue and the lighting was never right; but all in all, I was able to accept what I was seeing because like I said earlier, the film really is better than the sum of its parts and that makes it easy to accept issues like this. I wanted this film to keep going at least another half hour even though I kinda wanted to throw out most of the "swinging through the streets" scenes because they came under the modern "impossible camera" philosophy of cinematography which I dislike so much - basically what I'm saying is I hope the care and heart and quality that went into this film translates into the sequels.

derek
05-10-2002, 01:25 AM
ya know who kirsten dunst looks like? a female version of billy corgan. she has the same shaped face, smile and kind of has crooked teeth, though not as bad as billy. she could be his sister.:)

derek
05-10-2002, 01:35 AM
and here is his sister, kirsten:) if MJ is supposed to be a super model, they could of got a better looking chick.:)

2-1B
05-10-2002, 05:01 AM
I used to think Kirsten was pretty, but I'll forever think of that Zero in the same moment. :mad:

At least Kirsten doesn't sound as whiny. :D

QLD
05-10-2002, 12:41 PM
Well, if she is the worst thing I ever wake up beside, then call me a happy man!

JediTricks
05-10-2002, 08:10 PM
Derek, that is an interesting "switched at birth" point. :D I see what you're saying, though Corgin's mouth isn't as big or cheeky as hers. ;)

As for her teeth, I totally couldn't stop noticing that throughout the film - someone's theory was that Sam Raimi must have hated her to let her be filmed in such unflattering ways. She had some of the worst caps I've ever seen on teeth, and they were only on the front 4, any time we saw past it was like looking at a different mouth.

derek
05-10-2002, 08:20 PM
jeditricks,

i couldn't find a better picture of corgan smiling. when he really smiles, they look like twins. see, he just can't smile alot, cause he's "alternative":)

i can't stand kirsten dunst's and lee ann rimes teeth. they have what i call "corn kernal" front teeth. real short teeth, that look like...corn.:)

but what i really hate are those gummy smiles like heidi fleiss or orel hershschiser(baseball player) have. when those people smile, it's all top gums.:) i always think of a great white shark with it's mouth wide open about to bite something.:)

what is this thread about....oh yea, spiderman!

i saw it again, and i still didn't like it.:)

if anyone here has lee ann rimes or heidi fleiss teeth, i like yall though. just those famous people i don't like.;)

2-1B
05-11-2002, 02:08 AM
but what i really hate are those gummy smiles like heidi fleiss or orel hershschiser(baseball player) have. when those people smile, it's all top gums.:) i always think of a great white shark with it's mouth wide open about to bite something.:)

Mr. Ed comes to mind too. :D

Kirsten is hosting SNL tonight, with musical guest Emin3m (sorry, don't know how to type a backward "E" :rolleyes: ) :D
I wonder what aspects of the movie they will spoof . . .

Eternal Padawan
05-11-2002, 10:24 AM
Definitely not enough quips during the film. That, to me, is Spidiey's trademark. Snappy banter during fights with super villains.

I didn't like the narrative bookends at the beginning and end of the film. ('Who am I? Do you really want to know?") Seemed sloppy and unnecessary.

Dunst as MJ I was 50/50 on. Half the time she was cute and flirtatious, the other half she was taking up space.

I really liked the set up for sequels with Harry possibly picking up the GG mantle from his father. The Green Goblin armor was atrocious. Did anyone see the other designs not used? EVERY SINGLE ONE of them was better than the one they went with.

I caught the Dr. Connors reference. Somebody said they were going to have Doc Ock and the Lizard in the next one. I hope not. Does anybody in Hollywood understand what happens when you cram multiple villains in a Super hero film? The franchise turns from cool to suck about that quick. I could see Robin Williams as a frumpy Doc Ock, especially after his creepy turns in Insomnia and One Hour Photo. He was up for the Riddler, so maybe he's itching for a super villain role.

The guys who write Smallville have been tapped to write the sequel.

And finally, after 17 weeks Lord of the Rings left my theatre and passed it's mantle to Spider Man. It's kind of fitting that the movie that replaced it hammered home $114 million its first weekend. Way to go, Spidey.

JediTricks
05-13-2002, 12:17 AM
Spider-Man broke another record this weekend - "best-ever second weekend" - this weekend's take was a total of $72 million!!! What's gonna happen next weekend though? I know that for sure I'm gonna dump $20 into Star Wars (since I already bought the tix ;)), but I am seriously thinking about seeing Spidey again as well.

stillakid
05-13-2002, 12:50 AM
Spider-Man' Nets $223M at Box Office

By DAVID GERMAIN
.c The Associated Press

LOS ANGELES (AP) - Now you know why they call him the Amazing Spider-Man.

With $72 million in its second weekend - a number that would be a tremendous debut weekend for almost any film - ``Spider-Man'' knocked off ``Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace'' to become the fastest movie ever to hit $200 million.

``Spider-Man'' passed that mark on Saturday, its ninth day of release. It took ``The Phantom Menace'' 13 days to reach $200 million.

The comic-book adaptation starring Tobey Maguire and directed by Sam Raimi has grossed $223.6 million in 10 days, according to studio estimates Sunday.

The movie had the best second weekend ever, beating the $57.5 million that ``Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone'' took in over the same period. At $72 million, it was the fourth-highest weekend gross of all time, behind its own record debut of $114.8 million, the $90.3 million opening of ``Harry Potter'' and the $72.1 million premiere of ``The Lost World: Jurassic Park.''

``This is one of those second weekends that's almost more impressive than the first, if that's possible,'' said Paul Dergarabedian, president of box-office tracker Exhibitor Relations. ``This film is relentless in its accrual of money.''

After huge openings, films often nosedive by 50 percent or more in their second weekend because so many people already have seen them. ``Spider-Man'' held up strongly despite its phenomenal premiere, its revenues dipping just 37 percent.

``That's probably the most gravity-defying feat yet of `Spider-Man,' to hold up like that from a number of that size,'' said Jeff Blake, head of distribution and marketing at Sony, which released the film.

Opening in second place was the Richard Gere-Diane Lane adultery thriller ``Unfaithful,'' directed by Adrian Lyne (``Fatal Attraction,'' ``Indecent Proposal''). ``Unfaithful'' grossed a healthy $14.2 million in 2,613 theaters, 1,000 fewer than ``Spider-Man'' played in.

Distributor 20th Century Fox hopes good word of mouth will establish ``Unfaithful'' as an adult alternative to ``Spider-Man'' and its own new ``Star Wars'' movie that opens Thursday.

Older adults ``don't rush out to movies like you do for `Spider-Man' or `Star Wars,''' said Rick Myerson, general sales manager for Fox. ``What you're hoping for with a film like this is a consistency where you continue to play week after week after week.''

The teen comedy ``The New Guy,'' about a nerd who gets a makeover into a super-cool heartthrob at his new school, debuted at No. 3 with $9.5 million.

In just over a week, ``Spider-Man'' soared past ``Ice Age'' to become the year's top-grossing film. ``Ice Age'' has taken in $170.8 million in two months.

With broad demographic appeal and steady repeat business, ``Spider-Man'' is expected to hold well next weekend, though it comes up against ``Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones.''

``I'd say we have No. 2 locked up for next weekend,'' Blake said.

``Star Wars'' creator George Lucas already has conceded his film will not break opening-weekend box-office records because it is debuting on about 6,000 theater screens, 1,500 fewer than ``Spider-Man.''

Lucas sought the highest-quality theaters, with digital sound, for his new ``Star Wars'' movie, forgoing a shot at a record opening and aiming for longevity.

``I am not a horse. I do not do horse races,'' Lucas said in an interview last week. ``I'm not interested in opening weekends. I'm not interested in setting records. I know that sounds silly, because we've broken so many records and done all that stuff. I'm interested in making movies and telling stories and giving audiences the best possible presentation.''

Estimated ticket sales for Friday through Sunday at North American theaters, according to Exhibitor Relations Co. Inc. Final figures will be released Monday.

1. ``Spider-Man,'' $72 million.

2. ``Unfaithful,'' $14.2 million.

3. ``The New Guy,'' $9.5 million.

4. ``The Scorpion King,'' $4.4 million.

5. ``Changing Lanes,'' $3.5 million.

6. ``Murder by Numbers,'' $2.3 million.

7. ``The Rookie,'' $2.1 million.

8. ``Panic Room,'' $1.5 million.

9. ``Ice Age,'' $1.4 million.

10. ``Life or Something Like It,'' $1.3 million.

05/12/02 15:36 EDT

Copyright 2002 The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP news report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press. All active hyperlinks have been inserted by AOL.

SithDroid
05-13-2002, 01:33 AM
Hopefully Spider-man can break lame old Titanics record (which it doesn't deserve since it was in the theatres for 9 months). Come on Spider-man.

I've seen it 3 times already and I plan on seeing it a couple more.

Eternal Padawan
05-13-2002, 02:11 AM
Having to clean it four times a night, I am getting that silly cartoon song stuck in my head.
"Spider-Man Spider-Man
Does whatever a Spider can!
Spins a web any size.
Catches theives just like flies."

I just love the 60's style base running through the whole song. :D

2-1B
05-13-2002, 02:13 AM
Way to go DJ Qualls! Pulling in at 3rd!

$200 million in 9 days? Crazy! :crazed: Glad I dropped $7.50 in the basket. :D

SithDroid
05-13-2002, 04:55 PM
Way to go DJ Qualls! Pulling in at 3rd!

The New Guy looks like the lamest movie. I was even more shocked when I went to see Spider-man again this Saturday and The New Guy was sold out. I had to laugh. That movie is SO unrealistic. A guy like him would never get girls like that. I think the only people who went to see this show were teenagers with poor taste in movies.

SWAFMAN
05-13-2002, 11:20 PM
``Star Wars'' creator George Lucas already has conceded his film will not break opening-weekend box-office records because it is debuting on about 6,000 theater screens, 1,500 fewer than ``Spider-Man.''
Lucas sought the highest-quality theaters, with digital sound, for his new ``Star Wars'' movie, forgoing a shot at a record opening and aiming for longevity.

I've now heard this same story at least three times on TV, once directly from Lucas in some interview. I keep wishing for the impossible, that is, just ONE reporter with gonads to stand up to Lucas and say, "Isn't really just as true that 'Clones' may be opening on fewer screens 'cause some theatre operators chose not to pay the extortionately high dollars you're asking, and instead they're showing other films like Spiderman, which permit them to keep more profit?"

But no one's gonna confront His Highness like that, right?

2-1B
05-13-2002, 11:32 PM
The New Guy looks like the lamest movie. I was even more shocked when I went to see Spider-man again this Saturday and The New Guy was sold out. I had to laugh. That movie is SO unrealistic.

More or less unrealistic than Spider-Man? :rolleyes: :D

SithDroid
05-14-2002, 12:33 AM
At least going into Spider-man we know that it is based off of a comic book. The New Guy is based off of reality.

Beast
06-09-2002, 03:37 PM
It's a black and White copy of an ad for the DVD, looks like it is coming out around Christmas time. Guess they didn't want to compete with Star Wars, LOTR's, and other big releases in November. I like the cover, but I think they could have done better. Hopefully it will be in sort of a glossy metallic style, that would look sweet. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JediTricks
06-09-2002, 10:42 PM
To quote EP quoting me:

""Feh.""

2-1B
06-09-2002, 10:54 PM
What's he crawling toward? The entrance to Hardee's / Carl Jr.'s ? :confused:

Is that release going to be a double disc? I'm assuming so. At least they are going with a nice plastic Amaray style case - DVD packaging can really irritate me (especially when a pro-Amaray style company [not Warner] decides to use those goofy boxes). Or might that just be a mock-up? I don't want to jinx it . . .

Beast
06-09-2002, 11:00 PM
Probably double disc. It looks like it's one of the slim-line cases, like what they packed Episode 1 in. This is rumored to be the UK packaging, but it may be for the US as well. I'll keep my eyes out for info. It could be just a mock-up, but by now many DVD's that are due in November and December have completed cover art. Let's just pray they don't release a pan and scan version. OAR all the way, baby! :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Eternal Padawan
06-10-2002, 11:09 AM
To quote EP quoting me:

""Feh.""

;)

I was thinking about Spider-Man and his Spider bite the other day. After getting bit, really the only line of work you COULD go into is crime fighting.

Clinging on walls certainly doesn't do you any good if your the night manager at Denny's.
Shooting webs from your hands doesn't help the average accountant.
Spider sense doesn't help garbage collecting go any faster.

Nope, once he got bit, he was forced to fight crime...

JediTricks
06-11-2002, 09:42 PM
web spinning - good for: haunted house decorator
sticking to walls - good for: floor painter
spider sense - good for: professional gambler

:D

Tycho
01-23-2007, 08:15 AM
I just watched this again - and I could watch it again-again! It's that good of film.

This is another movie that a lot of folks here bashed in pre-production and with the release of the trailer, but then were completely blown away by the actual movie and found a tremendous amount of love for the franchise.

Spider-Man is a perfect movie and it was a great film to start the franchise. I don't know what the obsession with trilogies are, and "3 strikes: you're out," but I actually hope that Raimi and McGuire will continue to make Spider-Man films like Friday the 13th or Nightmare films - continuing and continuing. There is certainly no shortage of super-villains in Spidey's rogues' gallery (nice pun for me to use, eh?) But Venom, Carnage, The Lizard, Hob Goblin, Sandman, and more are all available - as is that Wolf dude. (I don't read the comics but actually might enjoy Spider-Man ones moreso than other super heroes in spite of how much of a Smallville and Batman fan I am).

Besides DC, Marvel has great stuff and Spider-Man tops their list! Great movie! And while Sam Raimi has been perfect for these films, Stan Lee is the man to admire!

General_Grievous
01-23-2007, 10:25 AM
I still think the Spider-Man movies are the best superhero movies out there. I guess that's because Spidey's always been my favorite superhero. I just can't get into Batman and Superman as much as Spider-Man. I can't believe it's been almost five years since this came out.

El Chuxter
01-23-2007, 11:23 AM
First, there should never be a Carnage. Carnage was a result of Marvel's editorial teams wanting to make more money from the ever-popular Venom by giving him his own book. Only, the consensus at the time was that a headlining character should never be a villain. So Venom (and a few others, including Sabretooth) became anti-heroes for a while.

Only this left a void in the Spidey-verse. Kids (meaning readers) liked a symbiote-powered villain with Spidey's powers. So they hatched up (literally--he was an egg laid by the Venom symbiote) Carnage. Carnage was totally one-dimensional, though. He was a plot device, not a character.

Rocketboy
01-23-2007, 01:57 PM
Spider-man is boring as all hell. I haven't been able to sit though it since I saw it in the theater.
Putting Willem Dafoe in that Power Ranger suit? :rolleyes:

Spidey 2 on the other hand: :thumbsup:

El Chuxter
01-23-2007, 02:24 PM
The problem with the first one, for longtime fans, is that every scene was based on a comic storyline and it was a little predictable.

JetsAndHeels
01-23-2007, 05:44 PM
I just can't get into Batman and Superman as much as Spider-Man.

Tell me about it.

Tycho
01-23-2007, 05:47 PM
JetsAndHeels, I thought Superman was your favorite over Spidey, Bats, and all the rest?

I'm talking about the heroes, not really which movie is the best.

I don't know which hero is my favorite. It's one of these 3 probably. I think I change preferences a lot. It depends upon what I watch the most recently and which I've watched too much of.

JediTricks
01-24-2007, 07:38 PM
This is another movie that a lot of folks here bashed in pre-production and with the release of the trailer, but then were completely blown away by the actual movie and found a tremendous amount of love for the franchise.What? Look at this thread, go back to pages 1 and 2, the complaints are largely about the Green Goblin's armor which are complaints that survive to this day, a few folks didn't like Kirsten Dunst as MJ and still don't to this day, and I made a comment about the CGI not looking quite good enough specifically in the trailer but suggesting it'd probably get better, and it did. The early comments were pretty favorable! The pre-production comments had a lot to do with Raimi being untested at this level and the script having just come out of James Cameron's hands where he had done some pretty heinous stuff, but by the first trailers it was mostly a non-issue, same with any questions about Tobey Maguire's casting.

Spider-Man is a perfect movie and it was a great film to start the franchise. I don't know what the obsession with trilogies are, and "3 strikes: you're out," but I actually hope that Raimi and McGuire will continue to make Spider-Man films like Friday the 13th or Nightmare films - continuing and continuing. There is certainly no shortage of super-villains in Spidey's rogues' gallery (nice pun for me to use, eh?) But Venom, Carnage, The Lizard, Hob Goblin, Sandman, and more are all available - as is that Wolf dude. (I don't read the comics but actually might enjoy Spider-Man ones moreso than other super heroes in spite of how much of a Smallville and Batman fan I am).When I saw Spider-man 1 in the theater, I came out super pumped, loved loved loved that film. When I rewatched it on DVD, I got why some folks here felt it was a little thin because it is, but it's still very enjoyable, and I still prefer it over pt 2 where a lot of fans don't agree. I think Tobey is getting a little too old to play the part though, and Kirsten Dunst just keeps getting uglier and uglier, I find her incredibly repulsive. I think Topher Grace would have been good to take the role of Peter Parker over from Tobey if he weren't playing Ultimate Eddie Brock (why they went with the Ultimate origin, I dunno), but even he's gonna be too old to play it by the time SM4 is in production.

Spidey has 2 kinds of villains in his rogues gallery, the human story kind and the sci-fi kind - the former I think can make some incredible movies, the latter however I think should be kept to comics and cartoons - for me, Venom is going to be the hardest sell even though it looks very much like they're going with the far more plausible Ultimate version that removes the alien and extra-dimensional aspects. But characters like Mysterio, Kraven the Hunter, Chameleon, Rhino, Shocker, Kingpin (but not how portrayed in the Daredevil movie) have real stories without the wackier sci-fi aspects (so does Vulture, but I think he sucks), then there's the more sci-fi ones with Venom, Carnage, Electro, Sandman, Hydro-Man and Lizard where the suspension of belief jumps dramatically and hampers the sense of realism (such as it is) in the material - the Lizard I'd say has the most human story of all of 'em so he'd be the best choice for a cinematic character out of all of them.

And while Sam Raimi has been perfect for these films, Stan Lee is the man to admire!Funny how Raimi made these films fit his style even though they weren't what he had done before, like Peter Jackson with the Lord of the Rings trilogy. I dunno why Stan Lee currently gets props from you though, he's basically just sat back and did cameos and collected checks for the past 20 years.

I still think the Spider-Man movies are the best superhero movies out there. I guess that's because Spidey's always been my favorite superhero. I just can't get into Batman and Superman as much as Spider-Man. I can't believe it's been almost five years since this came out.I agree with you about SM being the best superhero movies out there. I loved Batman Begins, but SM still has it beat in my book. I think what makes this franchise work on the big screen best is that Spidey is basically just a normal guy with a normal life who has superpowers thrust upon him, he didn't seek to fight crime but that became a responsibility for him. Also, Spidey has some super powers but he's not so superpowered that his abilities are unbelievable and over the top, he's a local guy fighting crime in his hometown - he can't fly a thousand miles away in a matter of minutes - and even with super strength and special abilities he's still pretty vulnerable like the rest of us, you sock him hard enough and he does get hurt. Movies like this do require a suspension of disbelief but also a level of realism to put it in perspective when set against our normal world.

Taking out the cinema aspect, my favorite superheroes have pretty much always been:
top tier
- Spider-Man
- Batman
- Superman

second tier
- - - Captain America
- - - The Flash
- - - The Shadow

third tier
- - - - - Cyclops
- - - - - Wolverine
- - - - - Iron Man
- - - - - Robin (Tim Drake)
- - - - - Robin/Nightwing (Dick Grayson)
- - - - - Wonder Woman
- - - - - Iceman

I've read more DC than Marvel, but I've dug Marvel characters more than DC's.

General_Grievous
01-27-2007, 11:24 AM
Check out what I found:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4S1Rdzte6LM

This is the original Spider-Man teaser trailer from 2001 featuring the World Trade Center towers. I haven't seen this in over five years.

Tycho
01-27-2007, 02:33 PM
That was sweet. I wished they could have used that scene with maybe different buildings in the movie, all things considered.

JediTricks
01-27-2007, 10:40 PM
That was sweet. I wished they could have used that scene with maybe different buildings in the movie, all things considered.It was never intended for the movie, they said so even before Sept 11th, it was just a scene made for the teaser trailer.