PDA

View Full Version : Opening Day!!!

Pages : 1 [2]

Jedi_Master_Guyute
10-08-2003, 01:04 PM
Nice pics Boba!! That pic of the Wall and Harry is classic!!!! I was talking to JBFF via IM during the game and i said, "I wonder if bobafrett will catch any of the homers!" you were DEFINATELY in the right area!!!! Hopefully, the Cubbies can pull a victory tonight. :D

bobafrett
10-08-2003, 01:53 PM
Nice pics Boba!! That pic of the Wall and Harry is classic!!!! I was talking to JBFF via IM during the game and i said, "I wonder if bobafrett will catch any of the homers!" you were DEFINATELY in the right area!!!! Hopefully, the Cubbies can pull a victory tonight. :D

That game just drained me last night. We go up by four in the 1st, and I thought we had it. Later in the game we come back to tie it at 6. I just got out of bed at noon today and I'm ready for some baseball. Knowing the Cubs will be in Florida for the weekend, I want to take tonight off of work and go back down to the ball park.

Work your magic tonight Mr. Prior! We need at least one victory!

Exhaust Port
10-08-2003, 05:29 PM
Awesome pictures, thanks for sharing Bobafrett! :)

Jedi_Master_Guyute
10-08-2003, 11:30 PM
CUBS WIN CUBS WIN!!!!!!!!!! Man, they just destroyed the Marlins tonight, i think the term "punish" might be in order. Kind of like "Yeah, you won't be coming into our house and pulling another victory from under our feet like last night." GO CUBBIES!! :D

Edit: Sox win!! Beatin' the Yanks 5-2!!!! Go Boston!!! :D

Exhaust Port
10-09-2003, 12:32 AM
This has got to be the best post-season that I can remember!

bobafrett
10-09-2003, 01:58 AM
What do you think of the Boston/Chicago series now! Man that would be the best series ever. I so wanted to take the night off of work and head down to be with the crowd outside. Did anyone notice they had the crowds outside barricaded on the sidewalk? When I was there we were pretty much able to walk all over the street. The Cubs sure opened a can of Whoop A** on the Marlins. Now both teams can rest before we play down in Florida.

jjreason
10-09-2003, 04:06 AM
Tonight was like a dream.... when David Ortiz cranked out that first homer in the Boston game I was so giddy, almost as happy as when it became obvious the Tigers were going to win game 5 and the series 19 years ago. The potential of Cubs Sox has me just wired for baseball right now, and Sosa's blast last night was nearly too much. I thought for sure they'd win. Regardless, both sets of "good guys" played well tonight, and can hopefully keep on rolling. Prior wasn't razor sharp, the day off here is really going to help. I hope they don't use him on 3 days rest. It'll be important for them to announce their arrival in Florida with another big win in game 3.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
10-09-2003, 07:43 AM
All the Cubs have to do is shut down Pudge and they're set. The guys after him are a slight threat, but pretty much Pudge is all they have when it comes to offense. Can't wait for Game 3 in FL on friday!! GO CUBBIES! :D

bobafrett
10-09-2003, 09:39 AM
I'm suffering through baseball withdrawal with the Cubs not playing tonight. Can't wait until tomorrow nights game! I think we have Wood pitching Friday, and Clement on Saturday. Hoping we can take 2 out of three from them, although I wouldn't mind a sweep of all three games as I won't be getting home until late Tuesday evening.

Kidhuman
10-09-2003, 02:17 PM
Poopies and shinglesticks....Yanks lost Game 1. Thats ok though, we willget them back tonight. Gonna be an awesome series.

Kidhuman
10-10-2003, 09:45 AM
How sweet was that Yankee victory last night? Pretty sweet IMO. Bring on Pedro. Another great match-up......Pedro vs. Clemens.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
10-11-2003, 12:48 AM
CUBS WIN!! CUBS WIN!!! HOLY COW!!! :D

Great ending to a great game. I was pretty much on the edge of my couch the entire night. After Simon crunched that homer in the 8th, i was like "Ah, game over" but no, stupid freakin' Pudge!! Argh!!! Great game, Cubs win!! :D

Also, stopped at a random KB on my way home from OU and picked up the Sammy Sosa and Mark Prior figures!!! hehehehehehehehehe I couldn't resist! :crazed:

bobafrett
10-11-2003, 05:00 AM
OMG, I was in such a depression after Kerry Wood let the Cubs fall behind 3-2. Not just Wood, but the whole team, leaving 10 men on base. I started drinking beer, and wouldn't talk to anyoe. Yes, I'm a little moody when the Cubs fall behind, but when they tagged that last guy out between second and third, I was running around outside screaming "Cubs Win, Cubs Win!". Man did that game drain me, as it probably did all Cubs fans. Well, I've been out celebrating, and it's getting late (4 am), so I best get my batteries rechARGED for tomorrow.

Cubs in 6.

Exhaust Port
10-11-2003, 06:28 AM
Wow, that game had a lot of ups and downs. I stayed up as late as I could but had to call it a night going into the 9th inning. It was nice to wake up this morning and see that the Cubs had finished with a win. :)

kool-aid killer
10-11-2003, 02:16 PM
Go Cubbies! Two more wins is all we need now to get to the big show! Now if only we can shut down Pudge, he seems to hurt them everytime he goes up to bat with a teamate on base. I dont know if i will be able to watch it all though, the Huskers play tonight too on TBS.

jjreason
10-11-2003, 05:34 PM
Been a bad few days for TV Sports viewing, the old lady's getting a hate on for the little TV upstairs - it's always on at dinner time right now!!! :D

Good for the Cubbies, they need a couple of those close ones to go there way for 2 reasons - to get their confidence fired up and to quash that of the Marlins, who always seem to want to win those squeakers. Enough is enough - as Randal Simon so clearly demonstrated with his 2 run blast. :cool: . I hope they can win tonight, then finish it in Wrigley with Prior. On that note, they don't play 2-3-2 (in terms of home games) do they? Isn't it 2-2-1-1-1? Just curious....

Jedi_Master_Guyute
10-11-2003, 08:42 PM
Go Cubbies!!!!!!! Up 4-0!!! Nice Grand Slam by Ramirez!!! :D

JJR- no, for this series, it's the 2-3-2 style.

I can't believe Miller through out pierre at 2nd. DAMN!!

Go cubs!! :)

Kidhuman
10-11-2003, 09:21 PM
Pedro is a punk who got punked. Good for him. I cant believe he threw down a 72 year old man. Why he and Manny werent ejected is beyond me. But Yanks up 2-1 with Burkett going for the Sox tomorrow. He is only 1-6 with a 7.something ERA. Hehe looks like we will be up 3-1 after tomorrow.

They switched the 2-2-1-1-1 a long time ago. Too much traveling. I think basketball(I could be wrong) is the only sport that still has that format.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
10-11-2003, 11:20 PM
CUBS WIN! CUBS WIN!! :D Cubs handing the Marlins their bums tonight; leading the series 3-1. Go Cubbies!! :D

Gotta love the Boston/Yankee game! Two brawls; one on the field and one in the bullpen. I understand if the Yanks are mad that a Boston groundskeeper is in their pen, but just tell him to leave, don't attack him. Though highly unlikely, i hope the Boston PD give them some charges; that'll teach them to us that "fight all" mentality of theirs.

GO CUBBIES!!! :D

jjreason
10-11-2003, 11:28 PM
Aaaaahhhhhhhhhhh. Relaxy. That helps take the edge off that damned Yankees game for sure. Cubs were in full control tonight from the first inning, seems it would take a miracle now for them not to make the World Series.

Were you guys watching when Don Zimmer rushed at Pedro? I damned near lost my turkey dinner. What the hell was he thinking? Mind you, Pedro wasn't making any friends with the gestures toward the Yanks when he pitched behind whoever that was. Not cool, Pedro - and tossing gramps didn't help matters any, regardless of who was after who. There was some footage of them loading Zimmer into the meat wagon from Fenway to head for observation... anyone heard anything after that? Crikey, hard feelings surely gonna follow that outburst. Man Im sick of the Yankees.

Kidhuman
10-11-2003, 11:40 PM
Well that guy shouldnt have been in the bullpen. He jumped in there and rushed Nelson according to the TV, sohe got what he deserved. And why would you wanna fight a ballplayer with 30 other people who will jump on you?

jjreason
10-11-2003, 11:44 PM
There's no question that loser in the bullpen deserved his butt kicking. No business being in there whatsoever, especially if he's cheering the Sox or razzing some of the candystripers on the field. I'd have told him to bugger off too, had it been me. If it's determined he started the fracas, the police will likely consider charging him with cause disturbance (or whatever you guys have down there that's less than common assault) just to make sure nothing else like that happens.

bobafrett
10-12-2003, 01:15 AM
Hey Chicago whatta say, the Cubs are gonna win today! That was sweet, the Grand slam in the 1st inning. I wasn't panicked at all after the Cubs built a 7-0 lead. I will have to listen to the game on the radio tomorrow as I will be on my way to Florida to pick up my son. I'm hoping they can shut down the Marlins so preserve Wood and Prior for the first 2 games of the World series! If not, I should be home Tuesday and I might take my son down to Wrigley to take in the atmospere of a NLCS game!

Jedi_Master_Guyute
10-12-2003, 01:21 AM
I'm hearing mixed reports about the bullpen incident but i have 0% sympathy for Zimmer. He headed out on the field with an intent to do something to Pedro and Pedro just tossed him aside. Zimmer should know better than to go out and try to start a scrap with a guy who is half his age. Granted, i don't agree or promote what Pedro did, in fact, both teams acted like complete a---- today, but still, Zimmer went out looking for a fight and Pedro avoided any real brawl with him by just throwing him down. I couldn't help but to crack up at the video footage really, kind of like when my old dog used to try to do stuff when she got older and found out the hard way that it wasn't a good idea due to her age.

Zimmer is reportedly ok, so i've heard. He was in the dugout after the fight, laughing it up and whatnot, but he was taken away after the game on a stretcher. From what i've read he's alright though, should work on his right hook though, try to get some distance. :D

GO CUBBIES! :crazed:

The 'Xir
10-12-2003, 03:23 AM
Yeah, like most I was first shocked at what Pedro did, but soon changed my opinion of the whole ordeal! What was Zimmy thinkin', he deserved what he got, no matter who started what or what verbal jabs Pedro might have been jawing! Zimmy, I luv ya man, but chill! You are suppossed to be a leader, so lead by example(and from the bench!)! Go Sox! GO CUBBIES!!! NL Rules ...go bucs?!... ok maybe next year! :(

As for that incident in the bullpen, I heard it was a Fenway groundskeeper who was chearing for the Sox, and that Police are now looking at possibly charging the 2 Yankees involved with Assult(per espn)! Which will not bode well for them seeing as how Torre pretty much admitted/confirmed in a post-game interview that Garcia took a swing at the guy along with Nelson? I think! Now I know where that term 'Damn Yankees' comes from ;) :p

Kidhuman
10-12-2003, 09:33 AM
Wll, a person(persumably) a fan jumps into any bullpen, they will protect themselves. And since it is a team, the team will protect each other. Dont blame them for what hey did. They most likely did not know he was a groundskeeper there. Any team, bullpen would have done the same thing and I would be defending them as well, not because it is the Yankees. So the bull pen is off limits except to the teams playing and he tresspassed on it, so he got what he deserved IMO. No one is supposed to be on the field area what-so-ever. Groundskeepers have their own section so that is where he should of been.

kool-aid killer
10-12-2003, 11:40 AM
The Cubs winning helped take some of the sting out of the Huskers loss. I just hope they can finish it up quickly instead of dragging the series out. I thought it was funny that Zimmer got a face full of grass. He should have kept away from Pedro, but instead he ended up looking like a fool to millions of people. GO CUBS!!!

Jedi_Master_Guyute
10-12-2003, 07:33 PM
Damn!! Oh well, i mean, i'm pretty bummed that they lost, but i'd rather have them win this series back in Chicago, plus, we're still up 3-2.
On a side note, i'm getting really damned tired of these HORRIBLE announcers. I'd like to beat Al Leiter to death with a baseball bat; the man cannot call games and makes the most POINTLESS statements, plus, the entire crew is ooooing and aaaaaaing over the Marlins. It just seems that they're very biased.
But eh, no worries; the cubs will shut them and the marlins up on tuesday. :D

jjreason
10-12-2003, 10:03 PM
Nothing you can do when the guy is throwing 90% strikes at nearly 100 mph. Would have been like trying to hit tylenol tablets. Oh well, they'll have 2 chances to wrap it at Wrigley. Nothing to worry about.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
10-12-2003, 10:06 PM
As a Red Sox fan who lives in Yankee country, it is always tough to live through a Boston-New York matchup. Mostly because the Sox always seem to lose and the Yankee fans just love rubbing it in. Although the series is only 2-1, I am not losing faith just yet. Hopefully the outburts in yesterday's game has lit a spark for the Sox. They just have to be careful and not let their emotions get the best of them. Sometimes you can get too riled up and lose focus about the task at hand.

My thoughts on yesterday's game:

I'm not making an excuse for Pedro, but Zimmer did swing at him, What I would of done is blocked Zimmer's feeble attempts, but Pedro was probably pretty frustrated at the way things were going and mistakingly threw him down. Pedro does have a pretty short temper.

As a frustrated fan (of not only the Sox, but of the Buffalo Bills and Sabres) I cannot tell you how envious you are of other teams that always get the best of you, that seem to win no matter what, while your team consistently fails to win the big game. For decades, the Yankees have been the bane of Sox fans, and I guess for some people, the old adage, "if you can't beat them on the scoreboard, beat them up" rings true. Don't ask me what that grounds crew member was thinking, it was blatantly stupid, but sometimes I feel like punching out the numerous Yankee fans that rub in their latest victories in your face, or better yet a Yankee player if I could get close to one. The frustration is maddening and some people just can't take it.

jjreason
10-12-2003, 11:51 PM
Hehehehe....... that's the Dark Side calling to you LBC!!!! :D

I do know what you mean though. Back in 1987 the Twins swept us (Detroit) out of the ALCS in 3 straight. It was the ugliest damned way to go out, after a huge September during which we rallied from some 15 games back to beat out Toronto for the division flag. For about 5 years after that the Tigers just couldn't beat Minnesota for the life of them. I was getting so mad (and was at that perfect age) that I was ready to contract out "jobs" on Kirby Pucket and that fat first basemen (name eluding me) that did SO much damage to them. I still hate the Twins to this day.

I also hate the Packers, Vikings and Avalanche because they've caused me great and horrendous pain. I forgave the Pistons for beating out the Trailblazers back in the late 80's, but it took quite some time. :D

Kidhuman
10-13-2003, 12:05 AM
Kent Hrbek was the fat first baseman. :D and Gary Gaetti was the thrid baseman, another fat guy. Tom Brunansky in right, Dan Gladden in left too.

jjreason
10-13-2003, 12:12 AM
Kent Hrbek, Crikey that's it indeed. Gladden was there back in 1987? I guess so eh? He was still there when they won it against the Braves in 91 - he scored the winning run (with that turncoat Jack Morris on the hill for ALL 10 INNINGS!!!! of that 7th game). It's close, but I don't think Knoblauch was there yet, I can't remember who else was over there. Aguilera in the bullpen? :D

Kidhuman
10-13-2003, 12:17 AM
Yes Aggie was there too. Jack Morris was their main pitcher. I cant remember there catchers name or middle infielders though or any other starting pitcher, Frank Viola remembered one. Knoblauch might have been there in 91, but dont hold me to it.

EDIT: Sorry it was eating at me, had to look up roster on google

1991 Twins (http://www.baseball-almanac.com/teamstats/roster.php?y=1991&t=MIN)

1987 Twins (http://www.baseball-almanac.com/teamstats/roster.php?y=1987&t=MIN)

Sorry for getting off topic. Go Marlins, Go Yankees.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
10-13-2003, 11:17 PM
GO SOX!!!!! That was a crazy game, but the Sox prevailed. Oh, i hope they can come back and lay the smack down on those crazy cheatin' Yanks!! :crazed: lol

Cubs should be able to finish off the Marlins tomorrow night. Cubs and Sox in the world series by this weekend, baby!!! :D

Kidhuman
10-14-2003, 09:07 AM
Great game last night. God pitching on both teams. Still think Sorianoo should of tagged up on that play. ANyways its over and today is a new day. Go Yankees

Jedi_Master_Guyute
10-14-2003, 08:45 PM
I had to post this before i forgot: did anybody else catch the 2nd inning of the Cubs game and Al Leiter was going on one of his pointless rambles and they showed the box and Steve gave Thom this look like "Oh, crap, here he goes again" and then he kinda saw the camera and smiled like, "Oh, so you saw that, huh?" lol K, back to the game...GO CUBBIES!! :D

Kidhuman
10-14-2003, 09:23 PM
Yankees on top 3-2 and going back to Bronx. Its allover but the shouting.

billfremore
10-14-2003, 09:37 PM
Somewhere the Babe is laughing and smokin a stogie and choking on a cheeseburger in his grave

Exhaust Port
10-14-2003, 09:47 PM
Bah, the Yankees won....

But on the upshot, the Cubs are looking good!

Exhaust Port
10-14-2003, 10:40 PM
So does that fan that competed for the fowl ball feel like crap now or what. That out could have made the difference in the 8th. They tied it up now.

Man, Cubs seemed to be just coasting along until now.

James Boba Fettfield
10-14-2003, 10:40 PM
Ha ha, what's with that Cubs fan messing with the play with Alou? Man, what a turnaround after that little play, eh...eh?! This game just got good real fast.

EDIT-Wow, 8 runs in this inning alone and they're still batting. Cubs, what the heck happened?

Exhaust Port
10-14-2003, 11:05 PM
The Curse!

James Boba Fettfield
10-14-2003, 11:10 PM
Maybe tomorrow will be a better day for the Cubs. Good game tonight, though, even if the Marlins won.

Bahh!

Jedi_Master_Guyute
10-14-2003, 11:14 PM
Speaking as one of the biggest Cub fans on the board, i must say that the catch in the left field stands wasn't the problem. I mean, this dude came to the game looking to cheer his cubbies on to victory and when a ball is hit that close to you, you're going to try to catch it. Maybe somebody who wasn't looking up shouldn't tried to move them back, but that's the natural reaction when a ball is hit to you. I do feel bad for this guy and i hope when the Cubs win tomorrow night, this guy will be able to sleep at night. That catch wasn't the turning point; the numerous men on base and an error on Gonzalez had a lot more to do with it than a foul ball in the stands.

Was Alou right to get mad? yeah, i'd say he was, but still, there shouldn't have been that many men on bases and the count shouldn't have been in the first place. Blame on this loss lands squarely on the Cubs.

I have faith that the Cubs will win this series and we'll see Wood prove this point tomorrow night.

Exhaust Port
10-14-2003, 11:20 PM
Man, this post season has been quite draining to watch. After we get through this season it's right into the college bowls. :)

I hope for the sake of that fan that the Cubs win. I can't imagine what it would feel like to see the Cubs lose and have this sense that you were involved in changing the course of events in game 6.

bobafrett
10-15-2003, 02:26 AM
Man, this post season has been quite draining to watch. After we get through this season it's right into the college bowls. :)

I hope for the sake of that fan that the Cubs win. I can't imagine what it would feel like to see the Cubs lose and have this sense that you were involved in changing the course of events in game 6.

I get back from driving 2,400 miles round trip to Orlando Florida and back. I picked up my son, we get back home around 3 this afternoon. We decide to go down the the Cubs clinching of the National league pennant, and join in the celebration. We hung out on Waveland much like I did last Tuesday, only this time I had my son with me, and I was wearing my Tusken robes. Did I ever leave there upset, We are down on Waveland cheering on the CUBS through 7 great innings, the we lived through the disaster of the 8th inning. Anyway, I'm dead tired after being on the road for the last three days, and the Cubs losing 2 in a row. I will be at work tomorrow, plus I have to enroll my son in school. Here is a link to my pictures from the night! The Stormtrooper is a fellow costumer!

http://www.printroom.com/ViewAlbum.asp?userid=bobafrett&album_id=159029

Oh, and there was a girl on the train ride home who kept smiling at me. I've been out of the chase so long, I wasn't sure if I should ask for her # or not. BTW, there were a couple of girls down there who were flashing there "assets". I did not get any pictures of the "Girls gone Wild". :(

kool-aid killer
10-15-2003, 10:52 AM
Man, i was just talking to my dad about this after they had the series 3-1, and how much it would suck if they got us fans so emotional and excited only to drop the ball and lose the series. Man this sucks, but Wood is up next so lets hope he can bring in the win.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
10-15-2003, 11:55 AM
I'm keeping the faith. I've been a Cubs fan since i was a fetus and i'm not going to lose any hope. I'm looking at it this way:

1. Wood has done well against the Marlins and he's going into this game on nearly 5 days of rest.
2. Redman is pitching for the Marlins and the Cubs got 4 runs off him in the first inning the last time he pitched.
3. The last time the Marlins pulled a win from under the Cubbies at Wrigley, the Cubs came out ferocisouly and won the next game, 12-3.
4. The Cubs beat the braves when the series was on the line and in my opinion, the Braves are a much better team than the Marlins.

I can't say i'm not nervous, but i'm definately hella emotional. I can do nothing else but believe in my Cubbies. If they don't win, i'll curse and break something and then cry myself to sleep. lol If they win, i'll drink until drunk, THEN break something and cry myself to sleep. :crazed: GO CUBBIES!!! :D

Kidhuman
10-15-2003, 06:07 PM
Heck of an inning man. Re take the lead and move on. Lets go Yankees. Knuckle up Pettite. Hold em down. Bring on the Marlins.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
10-15-2003, 08:28 PM
Damn, that was a crazy game, kids!!! Sox are sure as hell staying alive!! now time for the Cub game. Here is a poem i found on the net i'd like to share with ya'll:

Twas the night to beat Florida
And all through the nation
Not a single soul was thinkin
Of 95 years of damnation
Cuz this is the year
To end our bad luck
And even if it weren't
The White Sox STILL SUCK
On Sammy, on Moises,
Gonzo, and Grudzie!
On Bako, on Randall
Ramirez, Borowski!
Carry this team and end this damned curse
Don't blow the game or you'll leave town in a hearse
To the TRUE fans of CHI-Town
So Harry can hear,
Scream it together
"THIS IS OUR ------ YEAR!!!"

Exhaust Port
10-15-2003, 08:29 PM
Yankee fall! It seems that no lead is a sure thing for any team this post season. Going to game 7!

Jedi_Master_Guyute
10-15-2003, 11:40 PM
Well, Cubbies, you had a good run and i thought we could get something going in the bottom of the 9th tonight, but we just couldn't break into the World Series.
Didn't think i'd be saying this right now, but we'll have to wait till next year.

Hopefully the Red Sox can defeat the Yanks and then whip up on the Marlins; that'd make me feel a bit better. I'm outta here.

James Boba Fettfield
10-16-2003, 12:06 AM
Hey, at least you got to see Billy sing during the middle of the 7th. :crazed:

As for me, I really don't care who wins it all now since the Cubs are out. It was fun while it lasted, though. One helluva great ride.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
10-16-2003, 12:19 AM
Hee! I was hella happy to see Billy make a good attempt and getting the crowd back into it. "Get some runs!!!"

Hey, on the bright side, we Cubs fans don't have to listen to Al Leiter commentating anymore. eh? eh? :D

Night. WAIT TILL NEXT YEAR!

bobafrett
10-16-2003, 12:44 AM
If the Red Sox win, I'll be pulling for them to kick some fish tail. If on the other hand the Yankees win, I'll hope both the Yankees and the Marlins get locked up in a Cuban prison, just because I despise both teams.

Nothing against those of you fellow SSG posters who still have your teams in the series chase.

Kidhuman
10-16-2003, 11:24 AM
Yes sir, the Cubbies gave one helluva ride. Sorry they didnt make it. But today, Game 7, Rematch, Pedro, Clemens, gonna be interesting especially if someone gets beaned.

JetsAndHeels
10-16-2003, 11:54 AM
I have to hand it to the Cubbies, they had one heck of a season. I can't imagine the heartache they are feeling after losing when they had a 3 games to 1 lead, but I know all the fans are still proud.
As far as the ALCS, I want to see the Red Sox take it all the way. The Yanks have had their time and now I want to see Boston drill the fish in 4 straight games. I definately do not want the Marlins to win it all.
Game 7 today is going to be huge. There is no telling what we are going to see given this rivalry.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
10-16-2003, 12:22 PM
I'm going to make a prediction now: i'm calling for at LEAST 2 brawls tonight.

Bets? anyone? Bueller? :D

JetsAndHeels
10-16-2003, 12:29 PM
It probably will get heated at some point or another, but I wouldn't expect to see the fireworks we saw in game 3. I would hope for the sake of both teams no one decides to get stupid, because this is do or die time after all. You can definately bet on pitches up and inside. There will be batters hit I would imagine, but like I said I don't think we will see Pedro vs. Don Zimmer again or anything like that. Tonight the bats do the talking.
Just a bet.

Kidhuman
10-16-2003, 03:05 PM
Yeah, the Yankee Bats are gonna pound pedro quick. for some reason, he has a losing record against the Yankees lately. They seem to beat him usually. Albeit close games, but they still come out on top.

Trivia: Who has the best lifetime batting average against Pedro?

Bel-Cam Jos
10-16-2003, 08:21 PM
Trivia: Who has the best lifetime batting average against Pedro?
Easy, Amos Otis batted .750 against Pedro Borbon Sr. :p
Oh, there's another guy named Pedro? :rolleyes:

p.s. I have no idea if Amos even faced Borbon.

kool-aid killer
10-16-2003, 09:36 PM
That game bummed me out, i swear i wanted to break some things after it was over. But like it has previously been mentioned next year will be the year. I really dont care who wins now, i would prefer there be a strike than have any of those teams win.

Kidhuman
10-16-2003, 11:20 PM
My HEart cant take it. Tie Game in the 8th. Lets get one and get to Mariano. Go Yankees

Jedi_Master_Guyute
10-16-2003, 11:28 PM
I'm attempting to watch "Signs" over the screaming of my neighbors about the game. lol I go back to it every few times. It's really pointless to me now, watching baseball.

I must say that as a Cubs fan, i feel somewhat of a small bit of friendship with the legions of Redsox fans who know what it's like to go through this crap every year. Hopefully one day before I die, we shall meet in the World series!!

Best of Luck to the BoSox though for the rest of the game. Just think its' time for them to win one if the Cubs can't do it. :D

bobafrett
10-17-2003, 12:13 AM
Anyone have a score on the Bo Sox-Yankmees game? I'm recording a program for my son, and I don't want to go to my sports page. Go Boston, then wipe the Marlins in 4!

A dejected Cubs fan.........

Jedi_Master_Guyute
10-17-2003, 12:20 AM
Don't worry Boba, Boone just hit a solo shot in the bottom of the 11th. Game over. Yanks win.

Kidhuman
10-17-2003, 12:29 AM
Boone just hit a solo shot in the bottom of the 11th. Game over.

WOO_HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNN NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
YANKEES WIN YANKEES WIN YANKEES WIN YANKEES WIN..

WE GONNA FRY THOSE FISHIES

bobafrett
10-17-2003, 12:37 AM
Great I hope the plane lands on a remote island and the Yankees and the Marlins are never heard from again.

At least I only have to wait 122 days until cactus league play.

jjreason
10-17-2003, 12:48 AM
:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Life's too short for this stuff. I hate the feeling I get when I care too much about stuff that doesn't really matter that much. Way too disappointing.

bobafrett
10-17-2003, 01:07 AM
If you remember about mid season when the Cubs went from spending a good part of the first months in 1st place only to fall into third. Well, I got really nauseated during those weeks. I was afraid it would be another case of "Here we go again". I listened to most of the games, went to four regular season games, and stood outside Wrigley during the first and sixth game with the Marlins. I have been a Cubs fan for as long as I can remember, but never have I felt so emotional over my team. I cried in my car as I heard the Marlins take the lead in game 7. It hurt me to the core. The whole season was a real emotional roller coaster for me. I thought about seeking out medical help, but I love the Cubs and no other team can make me feel as strongly as I felt this year for the Cubs. I am looking forward to a very good season next year with Dusty at the Helm. I want to get some good post season play for the next 6 years. Maybe a World Series title in there would be nice. Occasionally I have to sit back and remind myself that there is only Team that comes out on top at the end of each season. It is then that I can put into perspective what a great turn around season the Cubs and some other teams have had. However, I still am not going to cheer on either of the teams that have made it to the Series this year. The Yanks and the Fish can fall off the face of the Earth for all I care. Sorry, just the way I feel.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
10-17-2003, 01:32 AM
[QUOTE=bobafrett]Great I hope the plane lands on a remote island and the Yankees and the Marlins are never heard from again.
QUOTE]

I think some of my fellow Cub fans and myself decided that their planes should land in Cuba and are never heard from again. :crazed:

I know how you feel Bobafrett. Last night's game hit me like a ton of bricks. I don't think i've heard Wrigley so quiet. My bro was at game 6 and he said the atmosphere was so dark and dreary. I had random calls last night and my mom had been crying (I could tell in her voice), my brother was incredibly somber and my dad had never been so quiet and bummed out. I was hella bummed, but ya know, i'm proud that my team, the Chicago Cubs. Nobody thought that in the beginning of the season that the cubs would take us on the crazy rollercoaster that they gave their fans. Hell, you tell any Cubs fan back in the first few months of the season that we'd nearly make it to the series, you'd get an inane rambling followed by a shot of the nearest liquor. I've been a Cubs fan since birth and some of my first memories are myself back in chicago, wearing Cubs gear, or watching Cubs games with my family. I still remember playing baseball with my friends and pretending i was Andre "The Hawk" Dawson or Mark Grace (it still doesn't phase me that i batted right handed when "I was him"). I can go back to my house in Troy Ohio, dig through my closet and find decks of cards i would get at Wrigley when i saw a game each summer with my Aunt when i was a young lad. The decks of cards date back to roughly 87 and go up till the late 90's. Things had been crap for the Cubs for the last few seasons, but it's obvious that this year, we have something special. We got Dusty Baker guiding our boys now; we have some of the best pitching in the game and some of the best guys ever to pick up the bat. The fact that Baker got them this far in his first season tells me that the years to come will only improve. The majority of the players we need will more than likely be coming back since chicago has shown life and great prospects.

I had jokingly told my dad that i would return my Mark Prior and Sammy Sosa figures if they lost and ya know what, screw that! They're going to remain on my wall at home to remind me of when our Cubbies began their post season run. The flag i ordered from the net to hang in my room if the cubs were to head to the series, not cancelled, but well on it's way, to takes it's place on my wall here at Ohio University, to show my pride. I still wore my 4 year old, torn up, Cubs shirt today, with pride and love: they're my Cubbies, dammit!

So, hold your heads up high, Cubbies and my fellow Cubs fans.
This is only the beginning of something great.
Mark my words. :D

bobafrett
10-17-2003, 09:00 AM
Hey, and it's only another 121 days until spring training!!!

Can't wait to see the friendly confines again! I have a nice picture of Wrigley Field across from my Cubs collection. It's dwarfed by my Star Wars collection, but I love the Cubs just as much as I love my Star Wars. I hope Beckett (sp?) gets mugged while in New York. I don't want the Marlins to win, so I'll have to pull for the lesser of the two enemies.

billfremore
10-17-2003, 11:04 AM
I have now totally lost all interest in baseball for this season.

Blankety-blanking Yankees. :frus:

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
10-19-2003, 10:13 PM
Nothing more can tear away the interest that this postseason has generated than seeing the Yankees advance to the World Series. Unless you are a Yankee fan, I can see very few people in this country that would be happy to see them in the final again. Unless you are a fan of overpriced, coked-up players and egomaniac owners. Oh I know this gets repetitive, but just wait till next year!!! Maybe baseball will wise up and institute a salary cap. Yes, it will hurt teams like my Red Sox, but they can rely on their homegrown talent a lot better than a team that consistently and blatantly buys a championship.

Kidhuman
10-19-2003, 10:21 PM
Nothing more can tear away the interest that this postseason has generated than seeing the Yankees advance to the World Series. Unless you are a Yankee fan, I can see very few people in this country that would be happy to see them in the final again. Unless you are a fan of overpriced, coked-up players and egomaniac owners. Oh I know this gets repetitive, but just wait till next year!!! Maybe baseball will wise up and institute a salary cap. Yes, it will hurt teams like my Red Sox, but they can rely on their homegrown talent a lot better than a team that consistently and blatantly buys a championship.

They Yankees have plenty of homegrown talent. Derek Jeter, Posada, Nick Johnson, Pettitte, Bernie(I cant stand him but still homegrown) and Rivera.

They can not be blamed for "buying a championship". Every club has the same chance as the Yankees when it comes to free agents. If they choose not to spend money on them, then that is their fault and they shouldnt complain. If they got a superstar like Giambi, or Mussina, or Clemens, it would put fans in the seats. That would generate into more revenue in which youget more stars. The Mets did it with Piazza a few years back. They went to the WOrld Series a few years later. There is the proof that they need.

Oh and even though they lost game 1, a well pitched game and a lucky pick off, they will still win the series. Bought, paid for or just hard work, no matter how you wanna look at it.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-20-2003, 12:38 AM
They Yankees have plenty of homegrown talent. Derek Jeter, Posada, Nick Johnson, Pettitte, Bernie(I cant stand him but still homegrown) and Rivera.

They can not be blamed for "buying a championship". Every club has the same chance as the Yankees when it comes to free agents. If they choose not to spend money on them, then that is their fault and they shouldnt complain. If they got a superstar like Giambi, or Mussina, or Clemens, it would put fans in the seats.
But, the advantage is in keeping their players. Players know Steinbrenner will shell out whatever it takes to hold onto great players, as well as steal others from teams that can't justify a $12 million yearly salary for one guy, so they go for the dough. As a Pirates fan, we too get great homegrown players, but once they become good, they leave for more money. Sigh... arr... :Pirate:

James Boba Fettfield
10-25-2003, 11:48 PM
I really wanted to see the Marlins lose the Series, oh well.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
10-26-2003, 12:33 AM
Caught the last game and Florida's pitching really dominated. For 23, Beckett pitched a marvelous game. It is always good to see the underdogs win and especially good to see the Yankees lose.

McKeon and company really turned it around mid-season. For a team that looked like it was going nowhere, they put on a great show to make it to the playoffs and a masterful show in the playoffs. Too bad it wasn't the Cubs and Bo Sox, but hats off to them anyway.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-26-2003, 09:49 AM
Here's the difference; most teams, when they lose a final game of the last playoff series, look absolutely dejected, maybe even cry. The Yankees have been in so many World Series lately, their reactions were of casual disappointment. "Oh, well. At least we have 4 rings (give or take 2)." I say, let the Yankees go without a title like they did in the 80s to build up that enthusiasm. The Marlins gave us a fresh break. Go Fish! Gives the small market Pirates-type teams a chance (yeah, right :frus: ). Arr. :Pirate:

Kidhuman
10-26-2003, 09:51 AM
I really wanted to see the Marlins lose the Series, oh well.

So did I. Hats off to the srappers.

jjreason
10-26-2003, 11:35 AM
Well, it's underwhelmingly over. Congrats to the Marlins who've so sorely deserved their second title in their long storied history...... :rolleyes:

At least the Yanks didn't win. You know you're jaded when you're actually cheering for one team to lose as opposed to win. We celebrated the whole thing by going out to dinner and NOT watching the game. On to bigger and better things like hockey and football.

bobafrett
10-26-2003, 10:19 PM
I think the Chicago Bears actually won a second game this season. But then we were only playing Detroit.