PDA

View Full Version : Marvel Legends discontinued

Eternal Padawan
04-01-2003, 06:20 PM
Apparently, what with the movie studios going all willy nilly for Marvel super hero franchises, more and more of them are getting exclusive toy figure clauses put into the contracts. And to appease them, Marvel and ToyBiz are insisting that they don't want movie figures and non-movie figures competing for your Action Figure dollar.

"We don't want to jeapordize our fledgling relationship with these studios" said Michael Feinberg, a senior marketing consultant with ToyBiz, "and since most of the big guns have been taken off the potential figure list like Iron Man, The Fantastic Four, etc. We are left with second stringers like Quasar. And we're not sure the market can sustain that type of obscure figure. We're thinking of the overall feasibility of the line rather than fanboy appeal, which is limited. So we've decidied to end the line."

Feinberg said the next wave which was due to hit shelves this August will probably still be shipped, but many figures seen at this year's expos such as Toy Fair will actually be shipped remains to be seen.

Adam
04-01-2003, 06:30 PM
:eek:

:D

April Fools!

jpak001
04-01-2003, 09:51 PM
Heh, had me going for a minute there ;)

Happy April Fools day!

Darth Cruel
04-01-2003, 09:52 PM
Wow...That's not even funny...OK, it was alittle funny after I realized it was a joke. It was the use of the word "fanboy" that tipped me off. That is just an impolite moniker and I don't think the TB people would use it.

aharry
04-02-2003, 01:09 AM
I was about to enter green mode and tell everybody "Hulk Smash". GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR. I can now relax. Hey I just got an idea for another Legends figure, how about the Grey Hulk? He was the only reason I collected the Hulk title for awhile back in the late 80s. Joe Fixit rocked.

The Overlord Returns
04-02-2003, 10:22 AM
Actually...the original joke article listed an "April Guerst" as the spokesperson making the announcement....which made the joke a little more obvious...

El Chuxter
04-02-2003, 01:03 PM
This made me cry, until I realized it was a joke. Then it made me mad. So I went out and bought a bunch of Marvel Legends, took them to the Marvel HQ, kicked them around a bit, and said, "I am a mammal. I can be silent. I am wearing all black. I could very well be a ninja. Ninjas kill for fun. You do the math. Do you want to upset me if I am a ninja? I didn't think so. Now make me a Marvel Legends Sleepwalker figure now!!"

Eternal Padawan
04-02-2003, 07:19 PM
Hey! Bears are mammals. And bears are silent all winter whilst they hibernate.

Ergo...bears are NINJAS.

And I think they need to make more Soviet era Marvel Legends like Vanguard and Ursa Major ( who happens to be a giant bear...)

Darth Cruel
04-02-2003, 11:00 PM
A little off subject, but I would love to see Cloak and Dagger made in the ML line.

Eternal Padawan
04-02-2003, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by Darth Cruel
A little off subject, but I would love to see Cloak and Dagger made in the ML line.

Not off the subject at all. :) Quasar and Sleepwalker already got mentioned.

I never really liked Cloak & Dagger. It was one of those comics that just didn't have legs, but they insisted on giving it a new series every few years. Like Luke Cage or Hawkman over at DC.

I always thought Tyrone should fulfill his destiny and become the dark overlord of the Marvel nether worlds. Make it a huge crossover event like Acts of Vengeance or Inferno and in the end Dagger dies and Cloak goes evil.

But either way, they would make cool Legends. :)

Prince Xizor
04-06-2003, 09:20 PM
Oh My God, did this make me mad. Really Mad. To have this line discontinued, I would start crying.

Good rip though, Ep.

Darth Cruel
04-06-2003, 11:43 PM
EP - I agree that the Cloak-and-Dagger comic wasn't good at all. I thought the characters had potential, they just never married up with the right writer. I saw a review of a collaboration to take them to the silver screen, and I thought they might translate well to that medium if they keep them in the worst parts of the slums.

And they looked cool enoegh as well to be good figures.

smurfvader
04-07-2003, 04:49 PM
I thought the characters had potential, they just never married up with the right writer
I disagree with you slightly. Their series' sucked but I think it's because they were better as secondary characters then as primary characters. Their mini series was great, but I just never liked them out side of the Spider-Man comic. Plus add to the fact that they decided to make them mutants which I really didn't like.

JIm

Quasar and Sleepwalker already got mentioned

Okay quasar I can understand, but Sleepwalker?? Sleepwalker?? One of the all time crappiest comics? No offense, but the comic was billed as "Sandman done right", but it wasn't. It didn't even come close to being on the same level. Sorry I just felt like venting. Forgive me.

JIm

Eternal Padawan
04-09-2003, 10:39 PM
Well, I for one, dig El Chuxter's quest to get the goofy, obscure early 90's Marvel Hero into a Legends line. I'm sure he's right below Speedball an Toybiz's to do list.

aharry
04-10-2003, 03:10 AM
And then after Speedball they go old school and make the Trapster, complete with his spraying glue gun. Honestly, how could this guy ever be a challenge to the Fantastic Four?

Eternal Padawan
04-10-2003, 09:00 AM
And Klaw! The guy with a sonic beam on his hand!

El Chuxter
04-10-2003, 01:04 PM
I'm the only one here who thought Sleepwalker was a fun "throwback to the 60s comics" book? Okay, I'd never heard the "Sandman done right" angle, and have to agree that it couldn't be more wrong, but I enjoyed Sleepwalker. And he'd make a cool looking figure.

Darth Cruel
04-10-2003, 03:41 PM
Speedball has always topped my list of the corniest Supercharacters. And I would definitely buy a ML Speedball. He was the Americam version of Puck from Alpha Flight (anyone for a ML Sasquatch and Wendigo?)

aharry
04-10-2003, 10:10 PM
Sasquatch or Vindicator would be cool.

Eternal Padawan
04-24-2003, 01:42 PM
Or Guardians of the Galaxy! Vance Astro(before he became Major Victory)! When he was still stuck in that containment suit.

By the way, I found Morbius. He looks cooler on the packaging than he does in the packaging. And that "biting" action is darn goofy. Ah well....

Amy
04-24-2003, 01:47 PM
I want Mr.Sinester, there is something sexy about that guy for some reason.

El Chuxter
04-24-2003, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by Amy
I want Mr.Sinester, there is something sexy about that guy for some reason.

Just my two cents, but I imagine it's because he looks like Colossus in a black cloak. Colossus was the coolest X-Man of all time. (The coolest X-Woman being Jubilee, of course.)

2-1B
05-18-2003, 03:43 AM
Originally posted by El Chuxter
Colossus was the coolest X-Man of all time.

No argument from me. :D

jjreason
05-18-2003, 01:46 PM
I guess I always figured the coolest X-Man of all time would have to be Bobby Drake - the Iceman.

*boooooooo*

Oh enough already. It was sitting right there.

TheDarthVader
05-18-2003, 07:14 PM
Colossus was the best. He's my favorite! ;)

jjreason
05-18-2003, 11:59 PM
El Chux - the credits in X2 said Jubilee was a character, did you see her? Did she do anything memorable? I just saw it today and didn't recognize her.

El Chuxter
05-19-2003, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by jjreason
El Chux - the credits in X2 said Jubilee was a character, did you see her? Did she do anything memorable? I just saw it today and didn't recognize her.

She was one of the kids in her PJ's kidnapped by Stryker's men. When Storm and Nightcrawler go to rescue the X-Kiddies, Storm says, "Jubilee, are you all right?" She's also in the room with Professor X and the other students in the finale.

jjreason
05-19-2003, 02:39 PM
WOw, totally oblivious I was. I was trying to focus on easter eggs too. Oh well, gives me good reason to buy the DVD when it comes out.