PDA

View Full Version : Need Battle Squads Help/Info!...

SWAFMAN
11-15-2001, 01:26 PM
I can't find any markings on my Battle Squads boxes about the scale size of the vehicles.

There's a different line of military aircraft at BigLots which is 1/72 scale. They have a B17 and P38J that are pretty nice looking, and seem to be proportionate to the Battle Squads P51 Mustang & Fokke Wulf 190. I was just trying to verify whether or not the two different brands really are to the same scale.

The other planes are by Newray, and are called the Sky Pilot Collection. The assembly and paint jobs I saw were inconsistent, so you need to look at several of each model to find ones with the plastic seams all tight and aligned, and the paint nice and even and straight. I went through about 15 boxes and found three that look pretty much perfect - two B17s with separate paint schemes (a camoflage bomber and a yellow & silver rescue plane), and a gorgeous P38J in Silver and Blue. They also had a couple other paint jobs on the P38 - one was a cool matte black and red, which I may go back for. The only weak point on these is the pilot figure. It is the same in all the planes I saw and is an unpainted, khaki-turd-brown, unarticulated lump of plastic. The canopies appear to open, and I'm definitely putting Battle Squads pilots in these, if I can find some spares - even SWAF "rebel pilots" would be an improvement!

The reason I'd like to verify the scale is because these are going to be x-mas presents for my son to open and hang from his ceiling with the Battle Squads ones. It would be nice to know if the planes really are accurate next to each other. So far, he has the F14 Phantom, C130, Fokke-Wulf 190, Apache 'copter, and A-10 Warthog, all hanging up in his room. I still need to find an opener P51 Mustang & MiG-19 Farmer for the display, too, if anyone knows of any.

Any info would be appreciated.

good shot jansen
11-15-2001, 03:23 PM
i found this web page which lists some of the battle squads line as being 1/125 scale

however they do preface it by putting a question mark afterwards (http://m1.aol.com/albrightmj/jeeptoylist_a_g.html)

scroll down towards the bottom, it's under the galoob heading.

other than that, i found zippo reference anywhere else on the web regarding the scale of the battle squads line :(

if i find anything else, i will of course let you know

whooops! my bad! they are actually refering to micro machines:rolleyes:

the only battle squads mention is for soilders and they list those as being 2 1/4"

sorry man, thought i had something fer ya:frus:

i'll keep looking!

JediTricks
11-16-2001, 08:19 AM
If the Action Fleet figures are 2.25 inches tall, then the figures would be 1/32nd scale and the vehicles scaled to the figures would be the same. However, with the BS line, I noticed a little "fudging" with the scale issue.

SWAFMAN
11-16-2001, 06:32 PM
JT - thanks for the calculations. At that estimate, the Battle Squads aircraft ought to be roughly 2x too big in relation to the Sky Pilot aircraft. I guess I'll have to do some online digging to find a shot of a real P38 or B17 being attacked by a Fokke-Wulf 190 and compare them to the relative sizes of the models here at home.

JediTricks
11-17-2001, 02:34 AM
The calculations don't work!!! Why? Because Action Fleet/Battle Squads figures are NOT 2 inches tall, not even close. They're just over 2 centimeters tall, which is TOTALLY different. By that height (boy, I wish I had just used my little green ruler last night instead of taking their word), the scale would be somewhere around 1/66th scale, NOT 1/32nd.

SWAFMAN
11-17-2001, 08:57 PM
.....now THAT sounds within the margin of error for a pretty much to-scale display, don'tcha think?

Thanks again, JT!

JediTricks
11-19-2001, 12:14 AM
Sure thing, glad to help. :)