PDA

View Full Version : Familiar Animals

tgr3328
04-02-2003, 10:46 AM
Aside form humans and some plants and trees, there are very few living things in the Star Wars galaxy with which we are familiar. You don't see any horses, cows, cats, dogs, etc.

Can anyone identify any earth-creatures in Star Wars? I remember a snake on Dagoba and a rat in Jabba's dungeon. And, of course, there is the reference to "sitting ducks" in Episode I.

Is there anything else?

Beast
04-02-2003, 11:02 AM
There are horses on Naboo, in the architecture anyway. During the celebration scenes look in the background to find them. When the Gungan Bongo surfaces a couple swans are disturbed.

And if I recall correctly, in the original script/novel for ANH, I believe it's Obi-Wan Kenobi who makes mention of a dog. Leading Luke to ask him what a dog is. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

keith koth
04-02-2003, 11:04 AM
I believe there are toads in/around Jabba's Palace.

Pendo
04-02-2003, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
And if I recall correctly, in the original script/novel for ANH, I believe it's Obi-Wan Kenobi who makes mention of a dog. Leading Luke to ask him what a dog is. :)

I always thought Luke owned a dog, and Obi-Wan made a reference to a duck, leading Luke to ask what a duck was. I may be wrong, but that's how I've always thought it was.

PENDO!

The Overlord Returns
04-02-2003, 11:10 AM
Don't forget 3 PO's "Die Jedi Dogs!!!" remark.....

Pendo
04-02-2003, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by The Overlord Returns
Don't forget 3 PO's "Die Jedi Dogs!!!" remark.....

Yeah, but I just totaly don't get the comment! Why on Earth is he calling the Jedi "dogs"? Is he implying that the Jedi are ugly women :crazed:???

PENDO!

Beast
04-02-2003, 11:14 AM
You may be right Pendo. It's been sometime since I've read the actual novels/script. Either way, we know that there are ducks and dogs atleast of sorts in the Star Wars Universe. :)

And don't forget centipedes, even though they are really huge ones in Episode II. And of course the fish seen during the swim to Otoh Gunga would be another one. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

stillakid
04-02-2003, 11:21 AM
There's a big ol' lizard thing as Luke climbs into the Tree cave on Dagobah. Might be an iguana.

The Overlord Returns
04-02-2003, 11:30 AM
Actually that lizard looks more like a Monitor....

tgr3328
04-02-2003, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
There are horses on Naboo, in the architecture anyway. During the celebration scenes look in the background to find them.

In that galaxy, they be merely mythical creature. like dragons, unicorns, and griffins are here! :D

2-1B
04-02-2003, 12:51 PM
Let us not forget humans ! :crazed:

There are horses on Endor.*

*Well, during the Ewok movies.:D

El Chuxter
04-02-2003, 01:09 PM
No, there are ponies on Endor and horses on Naboo!

It is a reference to a duck that Ben makes: "Even a duck must be taught to swim." Panaka also makes a reference to ducks.

There's a reference in the ANH novelization about a dog crossing a street in Anchorhead.

And let's not forget the Mighty Bear Clan. Why would they be named such if there's no such thing as a bear?

scruffziller
04-02-2003, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by El Chuxter
No, there are ponies on Endor and horses on Naboo!

Yea don't forget Battle for Endor.:D

Also those animals at the Tusken camp in EPS 2 were called a dog of sorts if I remember correctly.

keith koth
04-02-2003, 05:41 PM
I think ponies and horses are the same thing. :)

Let's not forget about mynocks...I don't know about everyone else, but those pesky mynocks are always trying to eat away the outer hull of my vehicle. :crazed:

Kidhuman
04-04-2003, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by scruffziller
Also those animals at the Tusken camp in EPS 2 were called a dog of sorts if I remember correctly.

Massiffs? I would say they are dog-like creatures. The lizrads and snakes are strewn about Dagobah. You can see them in Yodas hut and as mentioned going into the tree cave.

scruffziller
04-04-2003, 02:57 PM
The Wamp Rats resemble little baby Wallabys.
The Wampa looks like a Yeti.
The mynoks look like bats with parasite heads.

Darth Jax
04-04-2003, 08:44 PM
on all of these alien planets, why should there be animals familiar from the earth? there should be alien-looking kin to familiar animals like the eopie. since we're in a galaxy far, far away (unlike ST where there's still an earth from which animals could emigrate) what's to say lifeforms should all be familiar.

scruffziller
04-05-2003, 11:02 AM
The basic language is English.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-12-2003, 01:21 PM
Well of course the basic language is English, it'd get real annoying having to read the subtitles all the time.

RussUAE
04-21-2003, 07:27 AM
I grew up on a farm and we used to have a shed full of Gammoreans. They were ever so slightly more pink coloured though and a little smarter...