PDA

View Full Version : EPI - Lost and forgotten??!!??

aceguide
04-02-2003, 01:14 PM
It seems that with POTJ and the SAGA lines that EPI has been abandoned.

Let's face it - it was the rebirth of collecting for a new generation - not to mention many "older" collectors.

It also brought us vastly superior sculpts. No more he-man/gi joe.

Granted the line had its problems - but it seems to have been lost in many of the more recent discussions around here.

Beast
04-02-2003, 01:59 PM
How do you mean? We got quite a few E1 figures in POTJ. The only reason we didn't get many in Saga was because the majority of the focus was on AOTC's. Or do you just mean there hasn't been much discussion in the E1 forums over the figures as of late? :)

POTJ E1 Figures - 23 E1 figures/58 Figures
Anakin Skywalker (Mechanic)
Aurra Sing
Battle Droid (Boomer Damage)
Battle Droid (Security)
Boss Nass (Gungan Sacred Place)
Coruscant Guard
Darth Maul (Final Duel)
Eeth Koth
Fode and Beed
Gungan Warrior
Jar Jar Binks (Tatooine)
Mas Amedda
Obi-Wan Kenobi (Jedi)
Plo Koon
Queen Amidala (Theed Invasion)
Queen Amidala Decoy (Black Gown)
Qui-Gon Jinn (Mos Espa Disguise)
R2-D2 (Naboo Escape)
Sabé
Saesee Tiin
Sebulba (Boonta Eve Challenge)
Shmi Skywalker
Tusken Raider (Desert Sniper)

2002 Saga E1 Figures - 4 E1 Figures/57 Figures
Eeth Koth (Jedi Master - Re-Issue)
Lott Dod (Neimoidian Senator)
Qui-Gon Jinn (Jedi Master)
Teemto Pagalies (Pod Racer)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

TheDarthVader
04-02-2003, 10:22 PM
They need to make more new ep1 figures that have not been made yet before they repackage the others. Many of us already have the hard to find figures. I want to see more new characters, droids, aliens, and pod racers!!! :)

stillakid
04-02-2003, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by JediBrian
4 out of 57 figures isn't enough. I think Hasbro made all the major characters out of EP1, but a lot of them were hard to find. Re-packing Sio Bibble, TC-14, R2-B1, Holo Sidious and Maul, and Naboo Royal Guard would make a lot of fans happy. Not to mention Eopie, Faamba and Trade Federation Tank. No need to redo Battle Amidala, Swimming Jar Jar or Pit Droids tho. They sucked.

I think it's a response to the general populace's feedback on the film itself. Despite having it's own shortcomings, AOTC did far better critically than TPM. Hasbro likely picked up on that and adjusted their production lines accordingly.

Beast
04-03-2003, 04:23 AM
I don't think that was the reason at all. The Saga Line came out at the time of the release of AOTC's. So of course the majority of the focus would be on the new film. We didn't get many OT figures either, that doesn't mean that those movies weren't any good. Besides, POTJ proved that there is still a place for E1 figures in the line. And with the line renewed thru 2018, there will be more then enough time for almost every figure from every movie. :p :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

aceguide
04-03-2003, 07:54 AM
My initital comment was on the line iteself - and its importance to what both POTJ and SAGA have been producing for us lately. This generation of figures re-established SW as the ultimate in toys/collectibles. There were no action features, relatively neutral poses and were just plain cool (new figs in how many years?!?). In many was the SAGA line has gone against these basic traits that EPI reinvented - and I think to a degree Hasbro is suffering for it (@#$%@# action features).

But there are a number of good points being made.

First, repacks - PELASE! Many people were able to get some of the harder-to-find figs - but then again more were not. Sio, pit droids, Naboo guards, the holo line all could be reissued. Hasbro didn't hesitate with the last POTJ line. I think the others would sell quite well.

As for EPI getting its due in these later lines - I say great. I would like to see more obscure figs produced - Seantors, pod racers, additional background gungans etc...

What is curious to me is how few of these figures have escalated in value. Of course, I understand that they were produced in quantities that made them available and easily obtainable (less the last round). But there were so many variations and corrections (errors) that it would seem a market should have surfaced. Not at the astronomical levels, but I regularly see 15-20 figs on e-bay go for $20-$30. Not bad...

As for a complete line in SW's most recent history it should be honored (and talked about).

stillakid
04-03-2003, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
I don't think that was the reason at all. The Saga Line came out at the time of the release of AOTC's. So of course the majority of the focus would be on the new film. We didn't get many OT figures either, that doesn't mean that those movies weren't any good. Besides, POTJ proved that there is still a place for E1 figures in the line. And with the line renewed thru 2018, there will be more then enough time for almost every figure from every movie. :p :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

True, AOTC was indeed the focus, as it probably should have been. I'll agree with you there. But there does seem to be a noticable lack of EP I items slated for the near future. For instance, why no Podracers? Why so few Podracer Pilots? What about Maul's ship? I suppose it could be argued that those are all B or C characters, but so was a guy like Sio Bibble. And that awful blue Naboo speeder was less conspicous than Maul's ship. I truly think that they realize that the general populace of kids (who are not hardcore collectors), aren't as into TPM as the Classic Trilogy or AOTC, so EP I is essentially finished.

I hope they keep up the lines throughout the length of the contract, but I'm not going to hold my breath. They continue to waste time refashioning already released figures/characters which leaves only that "after Episode III" time period to jump into the secondary items. History has shown that in a non-release year, Hasbro has to rely on core characters to keep interest among non-collectors alive. So after EpIII has taken the spotlight for several months, Hasbro will want to return to resculpts again "to keep interest going," which leaves the secondary characters hanging out to dry.

RussUAE
04-17-2003, 05:52 AM
I'm not too bothered by re-issues, but some more original figures would be good. For example the various Amidala outfits, podracers etc. We know how well thy can do them after the POTJ Theed outfit and Teemto Pagales.

With 15 year more of collecting new stuff we should be alright I guess.

Dark Marble
04-18-2003, 05:09 PM
We will see more E1 stuff. Especially now that it is not a movie year. I think the classic trilogy and E1 will enjoy more spot light. Don't worry, there is plenty to go around.

RussUAE
04-24-2003, 12:47 AM
This non-movie year hasn't been too great yet (other than the sweet Boba Fett Carkoon).

In fact, considering it is nearly May, I can't think of any Saga figures that come for EpI. Sure the Jedi council cinema scene will sort of count, but I can't think of any others from the top of my head.