PDA

View Full Version : Pictures of JABBA'S SAILBARGE for the figures (perfect custom!)

Tycho
04-02-2003, 01:42 PM
See: this is what I wished Hasbro would do for a large vehicle in the likes of the Tyderium, Royal Starship, etc., along with an AT-TE from "Clones!"

This sailbarge is the perfect scale (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3124258459Ite) only Hasbro can undersize it a little to save cost, but I will have this thing through them, or by 2010 or something, if I have to build it myself!

I can't afford the e-Bay price, but I can believe it. I'd bid on it if I could afford it. The thing's pretty much perfect. I'd embelish some more play features to make it more of a toy, too. And perhaps a cockpit / control room area, to make it like a real vehicle, plus a food tank for a hungry-hungry Hutt.

But I wish the seller had given some measurements to ask the length and width and height of this beast. I will try to write the seller. This was made by someone from Chile, it seems.

UPDATE: OK - it is 5 feet, 6 inches long. My scaled-down Blockade Runner is actually barely smaller! Huh. I'd thought to do a 3 1/2 foot Sailbarge for my needs if I made it custom. (just because I thought it ridiculous to have it larger than my Blockade Runner, and an approximate (out of scale) Star Destroyer I'd one day like to build for my figures, at approximately 7-10 feet in length. But this skiff here is really authentic in scale to the figures! Doesn't it look great?

I wonder if you can trust the auction, or if someone in Chile stole the pictures of another collector's custom, and is now trying to falsely advertise a sale. I'm not sure how you would get your money back from an international transaction in Chile, were this to prove to be a false sale. But the seller's rating is average (in numbers) but very favorable in ratings. Of course, at a low number like 300 something, that can be faked, too.

Don't get me wrong, I do believe there are serious fans and collectors in Chile - we have one or two in our forums. However, this could be a great scam to grab some unrecoverable international funds transfers.

Still, I thirst over this sailbarge. Now everyone can see how necessary this thing is to have in our collections. Look at the great figures on display in this thing! Jabba's Palace has some of the best characters Hasbro will make into action figures, - and this Sailbarge rocks as a way to display them inside of perfect craftsmanship!

Ephant Mon - actually was too smart to go to the Sarlaac Pit.
Amanaman
Droopy McCool
Sy Snootles
Joh Yowza
Dodo Bodonawiedo
Max Rebo
Barquin Dan
Rystall
Lin Mei
Greeta
Barada
Klaatu
Nikto
Gamorreans all
Greedo
Ree-Yees
Tessek
Bib Fortuna
Jabba The Hutt
Princess Leia Slave Outfit
R2D2
C-3P0
Luke Skywalker Jedi Knight (if you have him fighting on it!)

Come on! The possibilities are too cool! Please Hasbro! Please make an affordable one!

Kidhuman
04-02-2003, 01:46 PM
Dang that is a nice peice of work. Wish I had the time to do that myself. Or the money to buy it.

Jargo
04-02-2003, 02:00 PM
I saw this auction a few days ago when the private universe highlighted it. Very nice work but seriously big. Hasbro would never do anything that size.
Perhaps your estimate of a three/three and a half foot vessel might be nearer the mark but hasbro makes vehicles at half scale or two thirds scale mostly. The deseet skiff is smaller than it should be so the sail barge would be in a similar scale. The desert skiff is short by the length of the front nose section. The sail barge would therefore have to follow a similar foreshortening pattern. The height would also be reduced and the sails probably much smaller than they ought to be. I favor the dolls house approach to making this thing with one side opening out to give you access to the interior chamber/s. Obviously there needs to be a place for the deluxe leia with sail barge cannon. Breakaway rails and a couple of those portable cannons that clip onto the rails. But I just don't see hasbro commiting to a vehicle that large when they have trouble getting a retailer to take three cantina figures with bar sections. We may have to wait for a movie year like we did with the shuttle. And what would the price point on something huge like the sail barge be? What has brian's toys set the price on the sandcrawler at? something stupid like $100? What would folks get ripped for on a huge sail barge - $200? It's not a vehicle that does much, it sits and takes up a massive amount of room. You'd probably have more chanvce of getting a star destroyer than this. At least a star destroyer is an active vessel throughout the saga.

I'm not poo-pooing the idea because I actually would buy a sail barge, i just think it's not going to happen ever.

stillakid
04-02-2003, 02:18 PM
Criminy! What a great custom! If I had the $, I'd buy it myself. But aside from that, this should be in the "Dear Hasbro" section if for no other reason than to show them that it is indeed possible and that people will buy this kind of thing if it is at a reasonable price.

And, no, it'll never happen.

darthcow
04-02-2003, 02:33 PM
We need this what else can I say. Maybe they will buy this and use it for the mold ( haha ) we could only wish. They only seem to be producing toys they want not what we want. How long has the Sailbarge been a wish at night before falling asleep for us collectors? For me over most of my life. I'd be glad to get this item even if it cost me $200- $500. It would be grand but probably only in my dreams. Maybe someone from the Lego universe is reading? They seem to be able to make lego sets pretty darn good. They could deffinetly keep this in mind!

Sidiously Darth
04-02-2003, 04:23 PM
Nice custom vehicle!!!:cool:

As for Hasbro making one, not likely.:rolleyes: Maybe in sections but that would still be a stretch.

The price would be astronomical. Just compare it to the Shuttle. This would have to be an exclusive. If it was made in 3 parts, each part would probably go for $100 each.:greedy:

JediBoulton
04-02-2003, 05:04 PM
This is GREAT !! I believe this is within Hasbro's doing. Remember the G.I. Joe USS FLAGG -- That was about this big and it didnt cost THAT much!!

Something that HASBRO could do is maybe turn this into a "playset" rather than a ship. How many kids are you going to see walking around with a 5 foot ship yelling "bang, bang"

Like with the USS FLAGG -- The Sailbardge could be one sided -- this way we could have all the rooms open from the back to move the figures around -- place Jabba in his little room, set Leia on the deck with the NOW usuable DECK GUN!!

The other side could have the opening hatches for figures to look out of and "blow apart panals" etc.

I believe if they sit down and really put some thought into this -- we could have a GREAT PRODUCT -- at a reasonable price!!

Dark Lord Kakorotto
04-02-2003, 05:14 PM
wow this thing is amazing! the scenes that can be recreated are classic and worth the money maybe not a grand but definitly over a hundred dollars. Hasbro should make this and follow this guys lead. Great work

Jedi_Master_Guyute
04-02-2003, 05:31 PM
That thing damn near brings a tear to my eye. Take notes Hasbro!! and Take them good!! :D

James Boba Fettfield
04-02-2003, 05:45 PM
I thought real scale meant as in made to fit real people. Then I was crushed like a Ozzel's throat when I saw what real scale means. Good barge, though.

Deoxyribonucleic
04-02-2003, 06:33 PM
Wow, somebody put lots of time and work into that. And it lights up! :)

Whoever mentioned Hasbro making it in sections, well, that's really not such a bad idea! Then it could be done to scale, as big as this one and I'd most definitely get it. Could you imagine though if you got the first and third sections, but due to demand and availability, you couldn't get the second section! Oh the HORROR!

Jargo
04-02-2003, 07:20 PM
That's why they won't do it. They'd tick too many people off. How long ago did the G.I.JOE ship come out? wasn't that an eighties vehicle? Bet they couldn't even do that now. Now, if they made a half of the barge, the half we see, and made the interior a playset like environment and still got some sails on top and a couple of opening shutters, a place to shove the cannon. Maybe that could be done but it'd still be small scale. Arena playset scale. But if people are going to keep asking for a scale sail barge then I'm going to ask for a scale Home one so i can park my Millenium falcon in a hangar inside it. I reckon fifteen feet long should do it, but twenty would be better.....

jedijake77
04-02-2003, 07:42 PM
Yes Hasbro Please listen and build this sailbarge:crazed:

Darth Cruel
04-02-2003, 09:54 PM
I am seriously thinking about placing a bid on this dream. I have totally planned to commision people like this to do these to-scale customs. I am adding them to my list. I do believe that it is a bad idea to draw attention to them, though (although I am glad to be able to put them on my list) as Lucasfilm loves to litigate against businesses that start making money from stuff like this.

karinations
04-02-2003, 10:00 PM
I dunno..i was kind of thinking it might be a scam myself.
Anyone that writes like the guy in those e-mails i get about needing someone in America to transfer 50 million dollars(and i get to keep 10%)is kinda suspect to me.

Quotes from auction:

>>Don't pass the chance to acquire a great item, almost unique & impossible to find.<<

Almost huh?

>>Yes believe it or not this is one of unproduced Star Wars Vehicles , the most impressive ships of Jabba the Hutt, his Sail Barge.<<

Yes out of all the Jabba ships i find this one the most impressive.

>>This Vehicle with 2 inside very detailed rooms , one is Jabba`s rooms where you can place Jabba figure with his throne and all the figures that you want, this room inclusive has a basic electric circuit with a switch so you can illuminate the room whenever you want, the other room is for place the Jabba`s army.

Ah yes Jabba's army.

>>!..THE SHIP THAT YOU SEE IS THE SHIP THAT YOU GET...!!!<<

Er..ok ,i kinda figured that but now you have me worried...

>>PAYPAL IS NOT ACCEPTED<<

Bingo..
Of course it isn't accpeted that is the only method of payment listed that is insured(the only safe way to buy it).

Hmmm

Doesn't seem to know alot about Star Wars...
Insists you are getting the ship in the picture(!!!!).
He might be from Chile but damn ...get a little Chile to English book or look it up online or have someone translate or something.
If i'm thinking of dropping a G on you for a Star Wars ship and you use the word "maded" 5 times,im not going to be too confident.
And doesn't want to use Paypal....
I think i'll take my chances with the South African guy and the money transfer.
I only got like 70 bucks in my account anyway,it's worth a shot.

-V-

http://www.citizenv.com

karinations
04-02-2003, 10:07 PM
The first time i looked at the auction i looked at the high bidders feedback(8) and thought it was the seller.
The guy selling this is actually over 300...
So i guess it's not a scam after all i just made in fun of some poor Chilean guy for nothing.

Hmmm...i guess i would have done that anyway.
So..

/shrug

-V-

Amy
04-02-2003, 10:13 PM
It looks wonderful, but dang its just too big to really own for someone like me. Even if that thing was a hasbro item, I would have to pass.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
04-02-2003, 10:22 PM
Maybe we could all chip in a couple bucks and win it. We could then make time for each person who chipped in to enjoy it. any takers?!? :D

Jerjerrod
04-03-2003, 12:31 AM
That's the best custom I've ever seen! It's even to scale! But it is now well over $2500 USD!!! That's crazy! "You can almost buy a real ship for that!" (says Luke) No matter how good it is, it is not worth it, and "It's too risky" (says C-3PO) to bid for anything at that price. "I've got a bad feeling about this." :D

Good luck to the person who wins.

Btw, I just thought of an idea. What if the "maker" of this fine piece made a mold for it? Then, he can make hundreds of them and sell them off to people. (Maybe Hasbro might buy the mold afterwards, for one-meeeeeeelion dollars!:D j/k) He can actually make SERIOUS money if he had the resources. Just a thought.

stillakid
04-03-2003, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by Jedi_Master_Guyute
Maybe we could all chip in a couple bucks and win it. We could then make time for each person who chipped in to enjoy it. any takers?!? :D

A Sailbarge timeshare?:sur:

bobafrett
04-03-2003, 12:34 AM
I think it would be cool if Hasbro could make just half the Sail Barge. You could have one whole half of the barge, then it would be open on the other half, kind of like a doll house. There you could have your Jabba and his crew of baddies. And several floors of fun fun fun!

jeffonthego
04-03-2003, 12:40 AM
The barge is up at $2,500, but don't think that will stop the current high bidder.

If you check out his (small) history, he put down $1,000 just for one figure, as well as $500 on another and some other pricey stuff.

Hey SirSteve, how about emailing the eventual winner in a few weeks and ask him how the barge turned out.

I'm sure a lot of people here will be interested to find out . . .

jeffonthego
04-03-2003, 12:42 AM
The winner was my aformentioned high-roller 'misterfrijoles'.

kool-aid killer
04-03-2003, 07:02 AM
Misterbeans? If my spanish isnt failing me then thats what his name is. I hope he enjoys it though.

aceguide
04-03-2003, 07:44 AM
Regardless it is a very cool custom. I believe that if Hasbro made limited quantities of ships to scale they would be surprised at how well they sold.

Jargo
04-03-2003, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by stillakid
A Sailbarge timeshare?:sur:

Well we could have had a lovely Louis Vuitton transportation case made for it and had it jetted first class round the globe, a month here - a fortnight there. just think of the snapshots gallery we could have made, ahhhhhhh - the glowing sunset vistas beyond, one of us and the sail barge of our dreams, "relaxing on the beach me and sail barge", "hiking in the hills, me and sail barge", "surfing from bondi beach, sailbarge and me", "partying hard on campus me the gang and sail barge doing his jack nicholson impression" the memories and the good times we could have had...............

Oh well, have to wait and see what hasbro does now. :rolleyes:

stillakid
04-03-2003, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by EMPEROR JARGO
the memories and the good times we could have had...............

It'd never work. Even though the Sailbarge would be next to me, I'd always be thinking of who else it spent time with. Jealously would consume our every moment together. I can't take it anymore, Sailbarge! Get out! Go back to your lovey-dovey friends!:cry:

Dark Marble
04-03-2003, 10:10 AM
I think I would come out of my star wars collecting retirement to pick this one up. If it were a playset, I think I would add on a sarlacc pit, but that is just me. I don't think it will ever get made, but what a dream...what a great dream. :cool:

JEDIpartner
04-03-2003, 10:50 AM
It's beautifully impractical... :D

evenflow
04-03-2003, 01:48 PM
Beautiful work, but what a price tag. Great work though.

QLD
04-03-2003, 02:14 PM
THAT SAIL BARGE IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

......In My Pants!

pegger
04-03-2003, 02:32 PM
Firstly, let me say, I was awestruck by it. I too think it is beautiful....

BUT.....

The size is to impratical. My wife already gives me greif about how big my collection is, and the size of the Gunship, or Royal Starship....There is NO WAY I would be allowed to have that in my Rec Room. Also, how could you play with it? It's good for just sitting there......you can't make it fly around, etc...

I'd be perfectly happy with a sail barge the size of the Gunship....

Deoxyribonucleic
04-03-2003, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by pegger
Firstly, let me say, I was awestruck by it. I too think it is beautiful....

BUT.....

The size is to impratical. My wife already gives me greif about how big my collection is, and the size of the Gunship, or Royal Starship....There is NO WAY I would be allowed to have that in my Rec Room. Also, how could you play with it? It's good for just sitting there......you can't make it fly around, etc...

I'd be perfectly happy with a sail barge the size of the Gunship....

I could think of PLENTY of things to do with it and wouldn't mind it being even bigger! Dioramas baby, dioramas!

Kidhuman
04-03-2003, 06:00 PM
Actually I would find a way to hang it from the ceiling and build a pit underneath it. That would be great.

Holy crap...I just saw what it sold for. Man I wish I had 3501. I would have got one.

Jerjerrod
04-03-2003, 09:22 PM
If I had $3500, I'd build a tree-fort in our yard. If I had $3500, you could help, it wouldn't be that hard. If I had... :D

Seriously, If I had $3500 to spare, I'd rather try to find a toy maker who can make the same sailbarge, and get 10 of them at that kind of price.

chrisc
04-04-2003, 08:32 AM
One word: SWEET!!!!!! I've got to get my hands on that! It's to perfect.

Turbowars
04-05-2003, 12:21 PM
Well I just wanted to say the Barge is on it's way from Chile. It should be here in a week. I paid a little extra for shipping.

Turbowars
04-05-2003, 12:23 PM
yeah in my dreams;)

stillakid
04-05-2003, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by turbowars
Well I just wanted to say the Barge is on it's way from Chile. It should be here in a week. I paid a little extra for shipping.

I'll be over to play next weekend. :D

TheCage
04-09-2003, 01:09 AM
Tycho:

You'll be surprised at how many serious collectors there are in Chile -and great customizers too.

Be mindful of your thoughts and words. We chileans "risk" a lot as international bidders, and why Chile is so risky in your opinnion? Because you've never been there? I know a lot of guys that have lost a lot of money bidding on E-bay -with American sellers- and it's not enough to stop them from doing it, the problem was the seller, not the country he is from.

JangoFart
04-09-2003, 06:28 AM
Preach it, TheCage.

J

Turbowars
04-09-2003, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by TheCage
Tycho:

You'll be surprised at how many serious collectors there are in Chile -and great customizers too.

Be mindful of your thoughts and words. We chileans "risk" a lot as international bidders, and why Chile is so risky in your opinnion? Because you've never been there? I know a lot of guys that have lost a lot of money bidding on E-bay -with American sellers- and it's not enough to stop them from doing it, the problem was the seller, not the country he is from. I wouldn't bid on anything that was $3,500 either if it was in or out of the US. One thing though, I have never been burned from a seller outside the US. IMHO, the non US sellers are a heck of a lot nicer than the US ones. Another thing is, if I had $3,500 I would go to Chile and see my purchase and then pack it and ship it myself.

Tycho
04-10-2003, 02:10 AM
Originally posted by TheCage
Tycho:

Be mindful of your thoughts and words. We chileans "risk" a lot as international bidders, and why Chile is so risky in your opinnion? Because you've never been there? I know a lot of guys that have lost a lot of money bidding on E-bay -with American sellers- and it's not enough to stop them from doing it, the problem was the seller, not the country he is from.

Oh, I agree with you, Cage. I think you know I wasn't making generalities about Chile's citizens in particular - or non-Americans. And I know there are plenty of dishonorable Americans waiting to take advantage of someone on e-Bay. I merely wanted to point out to all Star Wars collectors that it would be easier to rip someone off from e-Bay across international lines, where prosecuting them might be more difficult.

This sailbarge is a large, rare, and very expensive item. So of course it merits caution if you're buying it.

But this seller has good feedback and some positive history unless they've done a heck of a lot of homework to bump up their rating in order to pull off the big scam. (wouldn't $4,000 or so be worth your time to sit for a few days and use different IP addresses and e-Bay accounts to sell and re-sell yourself some junk just so you can pull off the big heist sometime later? I mean if you intended to do that, just pull it after almost all your bogus auctions are too old to be viewed any more. Conduct a few legit ones, and presto - you're paid $500 per hour of your time (actually a little less - but it's still well worth it if you're crooked like that! - Then blame international funds transfer foul-ups or whatever for your botched transaction, pocket some easy money, then go on. You'd have to invent new "e-Bay seller personalities" every month, but you'd only work a few hours for 5 days a month and have an income of $4000 every 4 weeks, or $48,000 a year for working less time than most people put into washing their dishes).

I just don't believe anything I see, but if I had the cash to safely lose (for nothing) on this sailbarge, I'd pop off an take a chance on getting it too. It's a great piece!

TheCage
04-11-2003, 12:05 AM
Last night I talked to a friend in Santiago. One of his friends made the Sail Barge and damn was beutiful! I'll try to get all the information I can about it. Who knows? With all that money he can make a lot of sail barges at a reasonable price this time?

Jerjerrod
04-22-2003, 09:01 PM
I went back to check out this ebay auction today. Their feedbacks say that the buyer has received it, and by the looks of it, extremely happy with the craftmanship of the Sail Barge. So, if some of you want to email the guy who bought it, now's the time.

(I'm so nosy, I know) :crazed:

karinations
04-23-2003, 12:29 AM
Wow im glad that worked out,i was almost certain it was a scam.
What was the final price?
The link to the auction is no longer working.

-V-

mm74md
04-23-2003, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by karinations

The link to the auction is no longer working.

Works for me http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3124258459Ite

The winner either a) is loaded or b) has high credit card debt

Take a look at the other auctions he has one! Yikes!

http://cgi2.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback&userid=misterfrijoles

Deoxyribonucleic
04-23-2003, 10:52 AM
one of these days! ONE OF THESE DAYS!

That'll be me :)

Kidhuman
06-01-2003, 06:13 PM
here is another one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3133265303&category=2474

stillakid
06-01-2003, 07:04 PM
Seriously, that is one awesome looking ship. I'd drop $150 for that over the shuttle in a heartbeat.

Being that this guy could never create enough of these to fill demand, if he sold the plans instead at, say $20 bucks a pop, he'd likely turn a tidy profit. Until the plans wound up on the web, that is. But in the meantime, he'd do pretty well I think.

Turbowars
06-01-2003, 07:08 PM
It's not as nice as the one that went for 3,500 from Chile.