PDA

View Full Version : R2 D2 Droid Factory Flight

stillakid
04-02-2003, 02:47 PM
I'm not one to complain about the action figures. I'm generally just happy that Hasbro is still making them, though I wish they'd fill out some of the as yet unmade characters...

However, I just got this new R2 Droid Factory Flight and :eek:

I've seen funny faces, weird poses, and dumb-action features, but this figure is just plain awful. The flying action feature I don't mind, but why couldn't they integrate it within a figure sculpt that doesn't look like it came out of a cereal box?

JEDIpartner
04-02-2003, 03:41 PM
I made that cereal box comment a couple weeks ago! ;)

At least we are both on the same page with this piece of crap. I painted the missing line around the dome and painted the eyeport black. It's better now, but why is the dome so squarish on one half and roundish on the "face" half? Why did they sculpt the details in the torso so badly? I mean had this sculptor ever actually SEEN Artoo-Detoo?

I've never seen such a P***-poor excuse for a figure since before the Episode I line!!! I'm glad this isn't the first and only Artoo figure we've ever gotten. Please, folks, pay attention and don't just put junk out on the market. It won't affect you in the short run, but I can guarantee it WILL affect you in the long run.

Amy
04-02-2003, 04:17 PM
I just so happen to seen two last night, and that it looked pretty bad. I saw a string of some kind sticking out of his crotch lol. Maybe the kids will like him, although they are not that dumb.

stillakid
04-02-2003, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by JEDIpartnr
I made that cereal box comment a couple weeks ago! ;)

At least we are both on the same page with this piece of crap. I painted the missing line around the dome and painted the eyeport black. It's better now, but why is the dome so squarish on one half and roundish on the "face" half? Why did they sculpt the details in the torso so badly? I mean had this sculptor ever actually SEEN Artoo-Detoo?

I've never seen such a P***-poor excuse for a figure since before the Episode I line!!! I'm glad this isn't the first and only Artoo figure we've ever gotten. Please, folks, pay attention and don't just put junk out on the market. It won't affect you in the short run, but I can guarantee it WILL affect you in the long run.

Sorry 'bout that. I searched for a previous thread on this R2 but didn't see one.

Funny, because just before I read this, I was thinking to myself your exact words above: What a "P*** poor excuse for a figure".

stillakid
04-02-2003, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by JediBrian
Well Amy has the right idea guys. I am not just kissing her butt cause she is a girl. LOL. I mean she looked through the bubble at the store, which is see-through. She saw that it was ugly and didn't get it. Why did you buy it if it is so ugly? Common sense fellas, common sense. I like the new Artoo. At least it's different. And you can attach is 3PO's head to the magnet which is fun.

KEBco One of Every Figure Club.

LTBasker
04-02-2003, 04:55 PM
Indeed. Actually it DOES look like a toy that came as a gimmick - it looks like the Taco Bell R2 from '95! Well more figure scale of course, and doesn't open to reveal a Leia figurine like that one did, but it really reminds me off it cause they both have immobile legs and are about the same detail level... And yet the Taco Bell R2 was better, I mean it came with a Leia figurine that was pretty much Leia's accurate 3 3/4" height when POTF2 Leia was HTF! ;)

Though I was able to tuck the string into him and the two ends stay in their spots pretty well, he's an ok background droid if you don't mind keeping the third leg down when he's just standing there.

joe-da
04-02-2003, 06:45 PM
I took mine out of the package, couldn't get the knot undone, and it ended up breaking. I tied the pieces of string together in a knot, and it slid through fine. 2nd time, it got hung up in R2's innards, snapped off inside and now the top piece is hanging out loose, and the bottom is disconnected.....

I have problems/issues with this entire wave.... but I guess I'm not alone.:(

JEDIpartner
04-03-2003, 07:49 AM
Originally posted by stillakid
KEBco One of Every Figure Club.

Precisely... :happy:

Thunderstorm1
04-04-2003, 06:59 PM
Yes I too received mine through the KEBco one of every figure club. But it is not their fault the figure is terrible!

RussUAE
04-24-2003, 12:42 AM
I felt I should buy one - I have one of each figure too, I didn't even bother to open it for 2 weeks though (unheard of for me). So I opened it yesterday - big waste of time.

That said I like the rockets, just not the string, legs, head etc.

He's currently on display just cos he's new, but will soon be languishing in a box with certain other figures I never look at.

Has to be the lamest figure since before EpI

bobafrett
04-24-2003, 02:27 AM
I just bought one tonight because I have to have one of every figure. When I got home my son said he wanted one, so I ran back to the store and picked up a second of this figure. What a piece of garbage. Sure the feet pivot, but the legs don't at the body. The dome is a crappy gray color, instead of the silverish color on past R2's. This one moves to the very bottom of my list. What was your thinking Hasbro when you made this figure?

mm74md
04-24-2003, 10:02 AM
I couldn't even spend $2.50 on it during the Target sale last week! Blah!

RooJay
04-24-2003, 05:05 PM
It's too bad KEBco doesn't have a "one of every figure except this piece of trash" club!:eek:

Turbowars
04-24-2003, 08:28 PM
Ok guys, don't you all think that Hasbro could have just made the rockets snap on like the efects. I mean they could have used a nice fully poseable R2 with crome head. The string thing, is just so useless.

LTBasker
04-24-2003, 08:48 PM
Yeah turbo, I think they could have. I had a thought for how too, they could've just made that section of the legs about half full, with an indention. Then they could have had 4 panels, 2 for each side. 2 of the panels would be plain blue parts of the leg, and the other two would have the rocket pieces, they would have magnetic bottoms so they could slide into the indention on the leg. R2 would also come with a small Geonosian background accessory, maybe a sort of box so you could store the panels in there. This way we could get a fully functional AOTC R2 but still get the rockets as an "action feature." The only thing that would really need to be done is possibly bulking the legs a little, or using a sturdy plastic. It could've been done but no, they decided to add a string that was boring after only 1 second (no doubt half a second for a kid) and is just in the way unless you have the patience to tuck it into R2.

Turbowars
04-24-2003, 09:08 PM
Lets all cut the string at midnight tonight and make a wish, For Hasbro To Please Remove Their Heads From Their Orifices. Yeah LT that would have worked. I had to LOL when you said sturdier plastic, Hasbro does not know what Sturdy means.

stillakid
04-25-2003, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by RooJay
It's too bad KEBco doesn't have a "one of every figure except this piece of trash" club!:eek:

:p Shoot Scott an email. I'd love to hear what he would say about that.

Turbowars
04-25-2003, 07:29 PM
Yeah well I got my case from EE today and it has 2 of these guys, does anyone want one or 2, LOL just thought Iwould ask.

Deoxyribonucleic
04-25-2003, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by turbowars
Yeah well I got my case from EE today and it has 2 of these guys, does anyone want one or 2, LOL just thought Iwould ask.

If you're giving them away, SURE! ;)

Otherwise this little r2 will be considered the "ruiner" of my "collect one of each figure" routine LOL. I just can't justify buying it until maybe it goes on clearance. :)

Turbowars
04-25-2003, 10:12 PM
Sorry, I'm not that nice.

Deoxyribonucleic
04-25-2003, 11:03 PM
Sorry, I'm not that nice.

ROFL!

Well, at least you can admit it. ;) j/k

BTW, good find there Turbo! I'm assuming your Han has the blue coat? Anyone know when they are shipping the brown coat, or if that's even on the burner still?

Turbowars
04-25-2003, 11:19 PM
LOL, Oh come on I need to at least get what I paid. Hey yeah it's the blue one. The brown should be in wave 11. It comes with 1 Jango, 1 C-3PO, 2 Jedi Lukes, 2 Vaders, 2 Snowtroopers, 1 HAN (should be the Brown), 1 Chewy, 1 Boba Fett and 1 of the best to date, Drum roll PLEASE, Flying R2-D2.

Deoxyribonucleic
04-25-2003, 11:37 PM
It comes with 1 Jango, 1 C-3PO, 2 Jedi Lukes, 2 Vaders, 2 Snowtroopers, 1 HAN (should be the Brown), 1 Chewy, 1 Boba Fett and 1 of the best to date, Drum roll PLEASE, Flying R2-D2.

Well at least Hasbro isn't short packing the goodies in that box! 2 Lukes, 2 Vaders and 2 Snowtroopers OH MY! Wow, I might just decide to buy a case because that's a fancy looking collection in wave 11! Especially that flying R2! ;)

Jaff
04-26-2003, 11:29 AM
Without a doubt this R2 is the worst figure ever made. It is a horrid statue that seems more christmas ornament than anything.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-26-2003, 01:15 PM
This is only good for flying dioramas, and even crappy at those. He doesn't really look like R2, I mean all the details are horrible (boxy vent-things in front, silver eye, no blue stripe around the head). I got one a few days ago, and the damn string goofed up so I couldn't get the 3PO head-puller out of his bum. So I returned it to Wal-Mart and got a new one that worked, no problem. Now, th string comes out of both ends, but only out of the top for about an inch, then stops as though there's a knot in there! I don't really like the flying feature anyway, but what I don't like even more is a broken figure. :cry: