PDA

View Full Version : Should the US gov't have asked Geraldo to leave Iraq?

JediTricks
04-03-2003, 09:45 PM
IMO yes. I mean come on, it doesn't matter where you stand on the political issues to see the guy gave out the location and movements of troops he was with thus endangering their mission and their lives - what a tool! And then he goes on later that day to insult his former employers at NBC for what he felt was MSNBC spreading lies about him being told to leave... even though it was totally true. What an oaf! Geraldo Rivera has never been a monument to high-quality journalism, but seems pretty low even for him. Apparently, Fox News (Geraldo's current employer) has arranged it so Geraldo will leave Iraq voluntarily instead of being kicked out by the US gov't, pretty generous if you ask me. To be "fair and balanced" though, he shouldn't have been given this much information anyway... let's face it, most of us wouldn't trust him with the location of our hide-a-keys, much less vital battle plans.

DarthBrandon
04-03-2003, 09:53 PM
Agreed, but I thought there wasn't any political discussions allowed. I know it's really not political from a certain point of view:D Last but not least I only have one thing to say about this clown, what a joker!

Kidhuman
04-03-2003, 11:31 PM
Giving away locations and positions deserves for you to be kicked out. I am glad they did kick him out.He definitely deserved it.

Deoxyribonucleic
04-04-2003, 01:10 AM
that jerk should be condemned to a life of eternal nose-breakings! over and over and over, until he bleeds out.

I really hope our Gov't charges him with SOMETHING! And if they can't find anything legit, just make something up.

2-1B
04-04-2003, 02:11 AM
I'm still holding a grudge for the "Al Capone's Vault" special, during which I wasted precious time from my childhood.

bobafrett
04-04-2003, 09:06 AM
Yes I remember that special Caesar, I was a little upset that I watched that one.

Fulit
04-04-2003, 09:32 AM
To answer your question, yes, because I think Geraldo is a !@#$%@#.

Now one of my own, if we can talk about this, can we also talk about that amazing POW rescue? I don't think it's political to say that that 19 year old girl has more guts than this 25 year old man. And the Iraqi that helped rescue her. Quite a story, I have a good link to the story if anyone's interested. LMK.

Ok, sorry, back to topic. What is up with journalists? Esp. Arnett?
Geraldo has always been a dumbass, saying he was going to shoot bin Laden, and yesterday I saw him on the news in his little soldier uniform. If the guy wants to see action so bad, why don't he join up and grab a rifle?

stillakid
04-04-2003, 12:35 PM
The thing to understand about Heraldo is that it is more important for him to know that you know that he knows.

E.G.O.T.R.I.P.

El Chuxter
04-04-2003, 01:06 PM
Who saw the bit on The Daily Show parodying this, with Stephen Colbert (sp?) drawing a diagram in the sand of Geraldo inserting his head into. . . use your imagination? :D

Deoxyribonucleic
04-04-2003, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by Caesar
I'm still holding a grudge for the "Al Capone's Vault" special, during which I wasted precious time from my childhood.

Oh my goodness, I completely forgot about that show.

I always wondered if they already knew that there was nothing in it?

:) :p

DarthChuckMc
04-04-2003, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by El Chuxter
Who saw the bit on The Daily Show parodying this, with Stephen Colbert (sp?) drawing a diagram in the sand of Geraldo inserting his head into. . . use your imagination? :D

I saw it Chuxter...very funny bit..

Stephen is one of the reasons I watch Daily Show. Jon Stewert is funny and all, but Colbert is the man.

JediTricks
04-04-2003, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by Deoxyribonucleic
I really hope our Gov't charges him with SOMETHING! And if they can't find anything legit, just make something up. I believe part of the deal reached between Fox News & the gov't is that he won't be charged. I guess "treason by stupidity" is only a misdemeanor. ;)

Fulit, if it's not political, you can discuss it, just in its own thread. This is the TV forum in a thread about how lame Geraldo is. :D

Chux, I saw that bit, cracked me up to no end! Wasn't it also The Daily Show that pointed out that Geraldo was the 4th person to be asked by the US gov't to leave Iraq, the first 3 being Saddam and his 2 sons? ;)

I like that line from Tough Crowd right after that TDS ep about how the US gov't didn't want Geraldo to go with the troops to track down an Iraqi Chemical Weapons warehouse on live TV because when they open it up, it'll be empty :D (Capone's vault reference, it got NOOOOO laughs from the studio audience).

Fulit
04-04-2003, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by JediTricks

Fulit, if it's not political, you can discuss it, just in its own thread. This is the TV forum in a thread about how lame Geraldo is. :D

That's cool, honestly I just didn't know if that crossed the border or not, and I didn't want to start anything.

plasticfetish
04-05-2003, 07:05 PM
Oh yeah. Geraldo shouldn't have been there in the first place as he hasn't been considered a journalist by anyone of merit in over 20 years. The guy is an A grade fool. In this instance he's guilty of simply "not thinking" and potentially endangering lives ... with his reputation for sensationalist reporting, I'm amazed he wasn't asked to leave the minute he got there.

Fulit mentioned Peter Arnett ... that's evolving in to the weirder story of the two. But, I do love the way MSNBC has been so persistent about letting us know that they "fired" him immediately ... before they go on to take shots at Geraldo.

InsaneJediGirl
04-05-2003, 10:34 PM
Geraldo should have stuck to talk shows,not journalism.Idiot:rolleyes:

I saw when MSNBC took some shots at Geraldo,I found it somewhat amusing:D

Lman316
04-07-2003, 12:19 AM
I guess that I'll be the only one in defense of Geraldo. Not of what he did, but everyone seems to be making too many "pot-shots" here.
I know that things done in the past can rarely make up blunders done in one's present, but Mr. Rivera did something really good which no one seems to remember. Although I was either not old enough to have seen this or I was too young to "care," I still got facts about this in school and I've asked my mother about it. Geraldo, some time ago, did some necessary undercover work in an American institution for the mentally disabled. Any of this ring a bell?
Those people were being treated like animals because they weren't considered "normal." Geraldo went in with hidden cameras and exposed this to the nation. Completely helped to change the view of disabled people and change the way these people were and are treated. That's a big plus for him in my book.
But like I said, I know that one good thing doesn't usually make up for something stupid later on. He made a mistake and he's lucky that nothing major happened because of it. I would agree that it might be best that he left the country (he's in Kuwait now, if I'm not mistaken). But I'm willing to cut him a little slack...

End...

plasticfetish
04-07-2003, 04:39 AM
Originally posted by Lman316
Geraldo, some time ago, did some necessary undercover work in an American institution for the mentally disabled. Any of this ring a bell?
Yep. It was 1972 ... and the story had to do with Willowbrook institution on Staten Island. His story and the attention that it brought to the horrible conditions at Willowbrook led to its eventual closing. I remember this story ... probably not from 1972, but I'd seen later broadcasts of the special in the mid 70s. When I said, "hasn't been considered a journalist by anyone of merit in over 20 years" ... I think I was being pretty generous by saying "20" ... I could have easily said "30" years.

In contrast to Geraldo's efforts ... I just found out about MSNBC's reporter David Bloom. I'd been watching and experiencing this bit of modern history largely through his eyes and had been truly impressed by his efforts. Much of what he'd been doing reminded me (at least in spirit) of Walter Cronkite's coverage of WW2. It's very sad to hear of his passing.