PDA

View Full Version : I Am Legend - What could've been, what could still be.

RooJay
04-03-2003, 11:53 PM
This is one of those big projects that's been floating around Hollywood for the past several years that for some reason or other hasn't managed to break past "development hell." It was being developed for at least a few years as a possible Schwarzenegger vehicle before Arnie apparently decided there wasn't room in his schedule for it. Then it was being developed as a Will Smith project for a brief time. It is apparently dead in the water yet again.
For those who remember, the story - originally published as a novel by Richard Matheson under the I Am Legend title - was committed to film previously in 1964 as "The Last Man on Earth" starring Vincent Price, in the 1967 spanish production "Soy Leyenda", and again in 1971 as the Charlton Heston flick "The Omega Man".
My experience with the story comes primarily from the Heston flick. It seems as though that movie is considered one of the minor classics of sci-fi cinema; cheesy and dated though it is. I've still always thought it was great fun and generally entertaining.
Having never read the book itself (I almost did a book report on it in junior high, but decided on another book instead), I cannot speak as to the accuracy of either the Omega Man version nor the unproduced John Logan (Gladiator) script. Perhaps someone who has read the book can clue us in as to how accurate the other versions are.
Having stumbled across an online copy of the Logan script, it struck me (accurate or not) how cool this movie could have been; how cool it could still be if the project is revived again! Reading through it, I found a renewed interest in the story (maybe I should give the book another try!), and I could easily imagine the filmed version starring either Arnie OR Big Willy, or perhaps even better...someone like George Clooney, Russell Crowe, or Brad Pitt!
Now I'm dying to see this movie made! Give the script a read if you've got the time. Let's hear what you guys think.

I am Legend - John Logan unproduced script (http://www.fortunecity.com/tattooine/clarke/38/scripts/IAmLegend.txt)

RooJay
04-07-2003, 07:20 PM
So umm...I know it's a lot of reading, but has anyone out there actually checked the script out? I'm seriously interested to hear what you guys think.

RooJay
04-17-2003, 10:26 PM
I was so impressed by this script that I was hoping someone else would read it as well so's I could make with some discussion. I'm not feelin' any love around here lately...
:( :cry: :dead:

(bump!);)

Patient Zero
04-17-2003, 10:31 PM
Are you talking to yourself again? They make pills for that! I could let you borrow some.

RooJay
04-17-2003, 11:01 PM
What's that?! :sur:

...thought I'd heard someone in here...

...must be the dreadful loneliness.:crazed: