PDA

View Full Version : Young Yoda

Masterjedi73
04-04-2003, 02:16 PM
Hey. I wasn't sure where this post was supposed to go, so I just put it here.

Since Yoda and Yaddle are the only two we've seen of their species (I think) what do you suspect they look like when they're younger? Yoda ages a lot between Ep. 1 and Ep. 6. Imagine what the other 900 years must have done!

The Overlord Returns
04-04-2003, 02:24 PM
Perhaps when his species are born they look like full sized human adults...and then age into the cute lil green things we know and love.

keith koth
04-04-2003, 03:14 PM
I'm laughing inside just thinking about a young, buff Yoda in the prime of his life...It would be cool to see a younger one of Yoda's species...perhaps a youngling in the "Frog Clan".

How old would a youngling of Yoda's species be?...maybe 100?

Brainiak76
04-07-2003, 04:06 AM
i duno but to me he looks older in ep1 then in ep2..dayam puppet! j/k

PoggleTheGreater
04-07-2003, 09:39 AM
To me Yoda looks kind of buffed out in TPM.

JEDIpartner
04-07-2003, 09:57 AM
I thought his face was too "chiseled" looking in that film. I just don't see how he could have aged that much in only 10 years... considering the life expectancy of his species appears to be 700-900 years.

scruffziller
04-07-2003, 10:18 AM
Yaddle I think is a very young one of her race since her hair is full colored brown and not gray and white like Yoda's

PoggleTheGreater
04-07-2003, 10:20 AM
I rationalized his rapid aging from E1 to E2 that he was pretty near the end of his life, which caused his aging process to speed up.

mini-rock
04-07-2003, 02:36 PM
According to the Visual Dictionary, Yaddle is only 477 years old. Yoda is almost 400 years older.

Deoxyribonucleic
04-07-2003, 02:47 PM
I think Yoda looks older in both ep1 and ep2 than in ESB. Just my opinion

RooJay
04-07-2003, 06:13 PM
There was a design in the "Art of Episode 1" book that featured an extrapolation of what Yoda may have looked like in his earlier years (I believe it was done by Doug Chiang). The design was eventually adapted into Yaddle, although, they actually look quite different. I once posted a pic in one of the other forums, but was unable to find it, the pic is no longer saved on my computer, and I can't get to my book right now to scan it again. Maybe someone else can help out?

RooJay
04-07-2003, 06:49 PM
Okay...took me a while, but I found it:

Deoxyribonucleic
04-07-2003, 06:53 PM
Ohh, yeah yeah I remember that picture...so that was doug chiangs idea of a young yoda? I had no idea. Pretty cool.

Kidhuman
04-07-2003, 07:06 PM
Wow Yoda looks anorexic or something in that pic. How old was he supposed to be in that pic?

Well when 900 years old I be, look that good I will not.

stillakid
04-08-2003, 11:43 AM
Do all Jedi always wear ratty looking monk robes, or aren't they even allowed to put on some cool stuff as kids?

JEDIpartner
04-08-2003, 12:23 PM
I have a feeling that the clothing is of a design that is distinct to their order. Sort of like monks, Catholic priests and nuns, samurai, etc...

icatch9
04-08-2003, 01:14 PM
Yoda's ageing can be answered fairly easily.

He ages so much between TPM and AOTC becasue of what is going on in the universe and his mind. He knows something is comeing and cannot figure it out exactly. This weighs on him very heavily and thus seems to age much faster. Similar to when Presidents and Head Coaches loose thier hair color seemingly over night one the pressures of thier job take over.

Yoda seems perhaps younger in ESB becasue for all intensiver purposes he's "retired". Degaboh must be the equvalant of AZ for Yoda :D. He's in his swamp relaxing and living the easy life. Thus, he doesn't have the worries of the life he used to lead. Sure, he's olded but he's relaxed and has no worries. That is until Luke Crashed his X Wing and then Yoda dies a short time after. So, you can see how pressure affects him.

RooJay
04-09-2003, 06:50 PM
I tend to think that the answer is even easier than that: The boys at the creature shop kinda dropped the ball when they designed that puppet!;)

I just had a thought...imagine how crazy it would've been if rather than trying to make an 800+ year old puppet look thirty years younger as a way of differentiating him from the ESB/ROTJ version...if instead that had decided to give the original puppet a moustache and goatee!:crazed:

How 'bout a seventies style afro?!!

...I crack me up...:D

InsaneJediGirl
04-10-2003, 09:50 AM
That picture of Yoda is just scary!I read on the offical site that a comic about when Yoda was younger coming in July:D

scruffziller
04-11-2003, 09:17 AM
That is real COOL!!!!!

notafinga
04-13-2003, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by RooJay
There was a design in the "Art of Episode 1" book that featured an extrapolation of what Yoda may have looked like in his earlier years (I believe it was done by Doug Chiang).

That looks like an Ian McKaig(sp?) sketch, i don't believe it is Chang, his character studies seem to be rendered with a bit more sterility.

RooJay
04-14-2003, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by notafinga
That looks like an Ian McKaig(sp?) sketch, i don't believe it is Chang, his character studies seem to be rendered with a bit more sterility.

You're absolutely right! It is McCaig, and thank you for helping me to clear that up.

By the way, I agree...Chiang's ships and buildings were all pretty cool, but his character designs did all seem pretty sterile to me too. McCaig's work, on the other hand, has alsways seemed so naturalistic and full of life to me. His stuf also strikes me as being very similar to the works of Joe Johnston and Ron Cobb for the original trilogy.