PDA

View Full Version : Kaybee Exclusive TIE FIGHTER Pics!!!

mark2d2
04-04-2003, 05:35 PM
Well, guys and gals, here it is. At long last. . .

First... the good news!

All New Pod with the unsightly battery compartment REMOVED.

The back is totally accurate as far as I can tell.

Bad news?

Well, the wings are still the same size.

So, what does everybody think? Heck, I'll probably buy it.
This EXCLUSIVE is available online. And retails for $29.99.

Please note--- the attached pic is from Kaybee's own website.

DarthChuckMc
04-04-2003, 05:37 PM
Awesome...but why no resculpt on the wings :(

mark2d2
04-04-2003, 05:44 PM
Here is some additional details. . . taken from Kaybee's site.

Get in the cockpit of one of the Imperial Force's signature battle vehicles. The Star Wars Imperial TIE (Twin Ion Engine) Fighter is authentic in design, and features an opening cockpit, detachable wings and a TIE Fighter pilot. Plus, this version of the TIE Fighter is the first to have accurate rear hull detail (versus the rectangle protruding battery compartment). Limited edition vehicle comes in a unique Death Star Trench Diorama packaging. TIE Fighter Measures approximately 10" x 5.5" x 9". For use with 3-3/4-inch Star Wars figures.

Banthaholic
04-04-2003, 05:46 PM
Thank you mark2D2, the pics look like a Tie Fighter, the price on this item is surprisingly low, being KB I was expecting a higher tag.

Did the website say when this will be available?

DarthChuckMc
04-04-2003, 05:47 PM
RATS!!!! I can't preorder 'til next Friday...FUDGE

mark2d2
04-04-2003, 05:57 PM
It comes out in June --- available on the 25th if my memory is correct. I thought the price was nice and low, too. (For an Exclusive.) Of course I have to buy this ship. I'm a TIE addict! It'll look sweet next to my BOMBER, too.

LTBasker
04-04-2003, 05:57 PM
Hmm, I don't know. The pic almost looks photoshopped...and it's odd for that to be redesigned but the bubble between the two laser cannons wasn't cut off. (It's where a red light went on the vintage mold) and the wings were left alone. $29.99 for just an engine redesign? I think not.

DarthChuckMc
04-04-2003, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by LTBasker
Hmm, I don't know. The pic almost looks photoshopped...and it's odd for that to be redesigned but the bubble between the two laser cannons wasn't cut off. (It's where a red light went on the vintage mold) and the wings were left alone. $29.99 for just an engine redesign? I think not.

negative nancy:p j/k

It is listed on KB, but you have to search under tie fighter. It won't come up under Star Wars

I don't have one open, and I don't want to open my POTF2 red boxed one. So this is just what the dr. ordered. I really wish the wings were redone.

Obi-Dan Kenobi
04-04-2003, 06:20 PM
I'm gonna get one. The major glaring error on other TIEs has been fixed, so I can live with the wings being too small. And $30 ain't bad for an exclusive ship.

Thunderstorm1
04-04-2003, 07:01 PM
Just ordered mine! If you use the code CEREALTOY you can get $5 off, which almost pays for the shipping.

Jargo
04-04-2003, 07:53 PM
Well the picture looks nice but I'll wait for bigger pics I think. Perhaps when we get boxed pics they'll show that the wings will be bigger... perhaps..... *trails off in despair*

Wonder how much it'll sell for on the grey market?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-04-2003, 08:00 PM
I never got one the first time, so I'll get a few. I thought the wings were tiny . . . now they don't look THAT bad.

Old Fossil
04-04-2003, 09:38 PM
From the front, this one looks EXACTLY like the POTF2 version -- same color and all. For chrissakes, couldn't they spice it up a bit, give us something really NEW for our money???

Teeska Mon Eebon
04-04-2003, 10:09 PM
Again I wasn't able to get much back then so I should finnially be able to pick up my first Tie now!

TheDarthVader
04-04-2003, 10:15 PM
I just pre-ordered mine as well. This would be my first tie fighter. I love it! I am not concerned with the "to scale" thing because I collect for the fun of it, not the nit-pickey. (No offense criticisers). Thanks for the code, <<< Thunderstorm1 >>> ! That code saved me $5.00. Nice...very nice. :)

Beast
04-04-2003, 11:03 PM
Are we sure that it doesn't feature slightly larger wings. These do seem to be a bit larger. Anyone care to take a picture posed the same way of the old TIE Fighter with a TIE Fighter Pilot for scale. Either way, the biggest abomination was the crappy handle battery compartment. Since it's gone, this is a must buy. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jayspawn
04-04-2003, 11:08 PM
I can't wait till this comes out! I'm going to get like...3!

Sentinel18725
04-04-2003, 11:13 PM
I agree that it looks photoshopped. Has anyone heard about this before? This is my first hearing about it.

Beast
04-04-2003, 11:37 PM
I doubt that it's photoshopped. This is KB Toy Store, they arn't going to go to the effort of actually photoshopping a fake. We've been hearing rumors and talk about it for months. Nice to finally get confirmation with a pre-order and picture. Nice to see that the pictures originated from KB and not a website first. BTW, here's a direct link to KB's order page for it. :)

http://www.kbtoys.com/genProduct.html/PID/2253719/ctid/17/ls/default

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

LusiferSam
04-05-2003, 12:40 AM
I'm like Sentinel18725 and haven't heard about this before (but I also pay no attention to rumors).
As for the TIE, if memory serves I paid about $30.00 (ok $29.95 or the like) for the POTF TIE, which was too much. 7 odd years later and not much has changed. Same POTF pilot (this in the box), mostly the same mold, and about the same price so there's nothing here to get me all exited. I'll buy one, but I don't see why people should be ravening about it. It is an exclusive after all.

Prince Xizor
04-05-2003, 12:50 AM
I would be up for buying it, if I had some money in my toy budget to spare. Hasbro just has too much other, better, stuff coming out to buy this. It's a shame too, cause I really like this.

mark2d2
04-05-2003, 01:18 AM
Actually, I think that the POTF Tie Fighter was only $19.99.
I know that that's what Darth Vader's went for . . .

But the price seems "fair" to me. Sure, it could be lower . . .
But it is an exclusive and, again, the movie accurate back
simply has me drooling.

I like.
I want.
I buy. :)

bobafrett
04-05-2003, 01:30 AM
I never got a TIE fighter for myself, looks like my chance to pick one up will come after all. I do wish that they had made the wings a bit bigger.

Jargo
04-05-2003, 06:59 AM
I bought a couple from collectors galery that cost me a fair bit too much. I should have bought them when TRU had tham originally and they were mucho cheapo but back then i wasn't going to be collecting everything........ :rolleyes: In my quest to build a grand imperial garrison I'll probably buy a couple of this version too. Actually i don't why but i seem to buy almost all the ships in twos, wonder why that is seeing as i open them all? Odd that. Anyway, battery compartment or accurate rear ewnd one can never have enough TIE fighters I feel. This does seem a little on the pricey side though. but as someone said it's exclusive so that automaticaly pushes up the pennies, plus it's a window presentation box which also adds to the cost. The original was just boxed up basic style. At least it comes with a pilot though.

Yes, i shall probably sneak an order past the other half and snag me a couple of these regardless.

mtriv73
04-05-2003, 09:00 AM
I just ordered mine. I wonder if the wings could be switched out with the new TIE interceptor to make a more accurate one of those? It might take a little repainting to get it right, but it would be worth it.

DarthChuckMc
04-05-2003, 09:08 AM
It's still based on the vintage mold, so switching the wings is possible. When I was a kid, I would switch the wings on my vintage Vader TIE and the white one, so I'm sure it could be done with the new ones.

LTBasker
04-05-2003, 09:19 AM
No correct wings? Almost fails to leave a point for the increased tag. The original cockpit mold has been used about six times since the first TIE Fighter, this being the sixth and the second modification on it. These wing versions have been used twice now, and they are just modifications of the old ones. No way this should be $30 even with the exclusive mark-up, I think they're just taking advantage of the people who paid for the Imperial Shuttle, cause they know people will pay. It's very dissapointing, cause KB doesn't really ship all that well, let alone a window boxed item, and finding this in good condition in stores will likely be very stressful. They could have at least added the TIE Interceptor wings to it, I know the Interceptor was a TRU exclusive, but it'd be rereleasing "accurate" versions of both in one and would help justify the price.

Why do they make things so difficult? :rolleyes:

Jaff
04-05-2003, 09:42 AM
I'm with LTBasker and JediBrian on this one. It looks FAIR. I already got one you silly english pipes.

sith_killer_99
04-05-2003, 09:44 AM
Well, I just started collecting the ships about 1 1/2 - 2 years ago, so I never bought a TIE Fighter, by the time I got around to considering it there were rumors of this new TIE Fighter. I am glad I waited to buy a set (yes, I will buy 2 please).;)

I wonder if the wings could be switched out with the new TIE interceptor to make a more accurate one of those?

That would be awesome, I don't see why not. BTW, didn't the TIE Interceptor retail for $29.99?!?!

Anyway, I am glad to see the new TIE, it looks like they went with the bendy knee TIE pilot as a pack-in. I could be wrong, but he should be a standard pack-in for all TIE's (except Vader's of course).

mark2d2
04-05-2003, 11:22 AM
I bit the bullet and ordered one. (Thank You Thunderstorm1!!! Your groovy $5 coupon advice did practically pay for shipping. :) )

And Kudos to Kaybee Toys for having this available on their website. No more annoying driving all around town. (Well, okay, at least not for this item anyway.) It sure makes me wish we'd hear an announcement that Kaybee picked up the Sandcrawler . . . Talk about an ideal retailer.

RE: The Price. Hey, I really don't think it's that bad, guys. (Especially with the CEREALTOY coupon info!!!) And face it, all the TIE Exclusives have been at $29.99. (Even the TIE BOMBER was this back in it's original POTJ incarnation.) The packaging is sure to be sweet, and I can't stop drooling over the rear's movie accuracy . . .

I gave my loose POTF2 version to a co-workers nephew after hearing that the family was about to have a bleak Christmas a few years back. (included with a motley crew of Loose figs.) So my TIE COLLECTION will once again be complete.

DarthChuckMc
04-05-2003, 12:33 PM
Well, I ordered 2, only because their FAQ says "Preorders aren't charged until the item ships from the warehouse." Thank the maker, because my only "credit card" is my Visa checkcard, and I only have $35 in the bank until my next paycheck..Thank the maker :D

Now, if I could just get a loose POTF2 Millennium Falcon, I would be.....I mean, my kids, would be set.

edit: Thanks again for the coupon guys :)

sease9
04-05-2003, 04:17 PM
Ill probably buy one.I dunno...it looks too similar to the first Potf one(which I already own 2:one loose ,one in the box)maybe once I see that packaging Ill make up my mind...

hango fett
04-06-2003, 12:39 PM
i will get one! if i can find it...KB around here is pathetic...
h

kool-aid killer
04-06-2003, 02:13 PM
I too will pick one up because i missed out on the first one. I probably wont preorder it though cause i dont have a credit card. Hopefully my two local KBs (used to have two more but they went out, anybody else have this problem?) will have it. One last thing i wont have to get off ebay.

TheDarthVader
04-06-2003, 04:32 PM
I can't wait until these ship! I ordered one. Thanks for posting the information about billing <<DarthChuckMc>> I appreciate it. It's good to know that my credit card will not be billed until June or May. :)

Sidiously Darth
04-07-2003, 12:46 AM
Did I miss something or does this exclusive come with a pilot? I'm just curious. I already have 2 of the POTF2 versions and not interested in buying one pilot or no pilot for $30. If you don't have one, I can't blame you for ordering it. I'll save my $30 for other SW toys.:D

Jerjerrod
04-07-2003, 02:24 AM
Hmmm, I could be just an old picture. Maybe Kaybee (hey, that rhymes :p ) doesn't have a new picture yet, so they just used an old one. For $30, I will only buy a "brand new" TIE fighter mold with updated body and larger wings. Otherwise, I might have to wait until it goes on clearance. So cross your fingers and hope for the best. Besides, good 'ol SirSteve should get real pics in no time. :D

mark2d2
04-07-2003, 02:30 AM
The body in the shot is completely retooled with the battery compartment removed. And yes --- it does come with a pilot.

Beast
04-07-2003, 03:51 AM
The handle at the back, is where the battery compartment was located back in the vintage days. That's why it's often referred to as one now adays. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jargo
04-07-2003, 08:29 AM
Tourists! :rolleyes:

JEDIpartner
04-07-2003, 08:53 AM
I picked one up... even though it's not what I had hoped for. It will still do... I have always wanted a TIE Fighter, so I suppose this is my chance to get one. At least the engine area looks right now. :happy:

aceguide
04-07-2003, 03:43 PM
Ditto on the pre-order. Had to have it. I have not had a TIE since the vintage line - remember the break apart battle damage that would never stay put!

The scale is slightly problematic. I was hoping it would be in there ith the new x-wing (which rocks!). But this is still a good effort. Looking forward to June when it ships!

AmanaMatt
04-07-2003, 05:11 PM
Well, aside from the slight scale issues with the solar paneled wings, I really like the new Tie Fighter.

The improved middle section is that: improved.

I, for one, am really looking foward to this.

Darkross
04-08-2003, 10:30 AM
Well...what a relief now...I don't have to worry about buying this puppy! I was hoping for scaled panels...but since they chose to remove the battery compartment instead (who really cares since we don't see it anyway when displaying it next to other ships)...I'll might as well go buy that POTF2 version that I saw in a store a while back for like $15.00! Waiting for pictures of the ship in it's box won't show that the wings are any larger than the orginal POTF2 one...as the ship is wider than it is tall anyway. 10" x 9". It should be at least 12" to 18" tall!

Too bad...looks like I get to spend my money on something else!

Beast
05-01-2003, 12:48 PM
A bit of news from Rebelscum regarding the upcoming TIE Fighter exclusive from KB Toy Store. It will be compatable with the TIE Interceptor so those of you that want to snag an extra to correct the rear end on the TIE Interceptor will be happy. :)

KayBee TIE Fighter Details
Mark: In case you missed it in yesterday's Question Mark update, Hasbro recently shared a few details about the upcoming TIE Fighter exclusive. According to the toy maker, the TIE Fighter pictured on the KayBee site is the final product, rumors the solar panels would be enlarged are incorrect. Hasbro has retooled the area on the back of the TIE Fighter to make it more movie accurate, no other details have changed. The figure that comes with this TIE is the same as those that came with the TIE Interceptor and the TIE Bomber. In addition Hasbro confirms what many of us suspected all along; the command pod on the new TIE will be compatible with the solar panels on last year's TIE Interceptor (TRU). In fact, the new TIE Fighter will use the same color scheme to ensure all parts match.

Considering many collectors will be looking to not only add packaged and loose TIEs to their collection, but also upgrade their current TIE Interceptors, KayBee's TIE Fighter could turn out to be one of the hottest exclusives of 2003.
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

TheDarthVader
05-01-2003, 07:05 PM
I've already pre-ordered this. I just can't wait until I get it. It has a lot of potential. Say what you want, but this tie fighter is better than the POTF2 version.

Adam
05-02-2003, 01:06 AM
Ah damn. JJB's post reminded me that I forgot to pick up that Tie Interceptor... *sigh*. I have a Tie Fighter, but I may have to pick up the new one as well.