PDA

View Full Version : Jedi Points Promotion?

InsaneJediGirl
04-04-2003, 09:01 PM
Looking over at the UK Star Wars Hasbro Site (HasbroJedi.co.uk),I was reading along and came upon the following

Many collectors in the UK have asked what the SW Jedi Master Points on the product packaging by the bar code can be used for.

To update everyone these points were part of a US promotion that was run during last year and are not applicable in the UK.

Apologies to all collectors in the UK, but as we try and bring you all US lines we are not necessarily able to run with all marketing activity.

Which was followed up by this article..

As I mentioned in a previous response the US were running a promotion on Hasbro SW products during 2002. This related to the SW Jedi Points near the bar code on every Hasbro product.

These points could be collected and redeemed against specific SW items in the Hasbro range. The promotion was only applicable in the US and was not run elsewhere in UK or rest of Europe.

As also stated earlier we endeavour to bring fans all the toy line from US and are not able to run all marketing activity.

No other details are available.

What promotion?I thought I was pretty up on news.Either Hasbro Jedi made a mistake or I was hiding under a rock somewhere;)

Thunderstorm1
04-04-2003, 09:04 PM
News to me, but there are going to be a lot of upset people now!

LTBasker
04-04-2003, 09:10 PM
Um... we didn't get one either, so either we missed it or Hasbro UK is pulling stuff out of it's Bantha to give the U.S. a bad name cause we're getting figures from the UK before the UKers. :p

Teeska Mon Eebon
04-04-2003, 09:12 PM
Yeah same here? what promotion?

InsaneJediGirl
04-04-2003, 09:31 PM
I emailed Hasbro about it and got the following response.Looks like Hasbro Jedi messed up or Hasbro US has no clue:p

Hi A-----,

The Points you have inquired about are not part of an active promotion at this time.

We want you to know that by having Points on the packaging, it gives us the flexibility to explore conducting events or promotions in the future.

We appreciate your interest.
Discussion Thread

Thunderstorm1
04-04-2003, 09:35 PM
I don't think they will ever do anything with the points, myself. It's a shame too, I remember when I was a kid collecting the seals to send off and get those special figs!

LTBasker
04-04-2003, 09:35 PM
They've been saying that for quite awhile, they love to yank our chains. :crazed:

Teeska Mon Eebon
04-04-2003, 09:38 PM
interesting...

TheDarthVader
04-04-2003, 10:11 PM
I have been griping a long time about these so called "Jedi Master points." Right now, I have about 800 of them. Like I have said before, it is not right to call them "points" when they are not worth anything. Geez...it would be nice to just get a t-shirt with our points...ANYTHING! It is not fair at all! :(

Turbowars
04-04-2003, 11:30 PM
Hasbro is so full of BS. When can we ever believe anything they say? They remind me of the government, when they answer a question they talk awhole lot, but never say anything.

Deoxyribonucleic
04-04-2003, 11:48 PM
Whatever it is I think I see becomes more Hasbro B.S. to me! :D - sung to the tune of ye old Tootsie Roll commercials from the early 70's

I wish they would just say "HEY, ya know, we're glad you buy our stuff, but you will NEVER see any promotions from those damn Jedi Points!" Instead of that crap they spewed to IJG! :sur: :D

Turbowars
04-04-2003, 11:55 PM
Hasbro has non.

bobafrett
04-05-2003, 01:23 AM
The first person to reach 10,000 Jedi points will get a free Jango Pilot figure, just send a check for $4.99 to cover shipping..... Well, it might as well say that!

seth_quinn
04-05-2003, 03:38 PM
I pretty much have at least one of everything that has ever had jedi points printed on it so I must be getting close to 10k, where do I send my money, is cash ok?

bobafrett
04-06-2003, 01:33 AM
Cash is accepted, and it can be sent to the author of this post!

*Runs to local Wal-Mart to pick up a Jango Fett pilot peg warmer*
*Hee Hee, he says, I will soon have 10,000 Jedi points all for me*

cassanova frankensti
04-06-2003, 11:05 AM
People have been asking this same question since 1998. Phantom Menace came and went. AOTC came and went. I'm sure Clone wars and EIII will come and go and there will still be no point to the Jedi points. In 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, and now 2003 Hasbro keeps saying that a promotion that will utilize the Jedi points is "coming soon". Believe what you want. Me-sa will beleives it when me-sa sees it.

seth_quinn
04-06-2003, 12:00 PM
points and cash are on the way!! I didn't want to damage any packaging by cutting out the points or unsealing anything so I've sent you ten large cartons. is that ok? it cost me about 120 to ship, do you think I could get 2 jango pilots? please?

bobafrett
04-06-2003, 12:09 PM
Sure, no problem!

* Runs back up to Wal-Mart and buys all the Peg warming Jango Fett pilots*

Oh, yes, did you make sure all the toys were still in the packages before you shipped them? Otherwise you must pay $99.95 to cover the cost of this posting,

vorronsalive
04-06-2003, 12:52 PM
Wow, A free Jango Fett Pilot figure for $99.95, I must be in heaven or else this is the greatest deal that I have ever found!!!!!!

Turbowars
04-06-2003, 12:57 PM
No you are in Hasbros hell. Is Jago the biggest pegwarmer? Here in Southern Ca it's Radar Padme.

bobafrett
04-06-2003, 07:09 PM
Don't forget the $4.99 to cover the cost of shipping it to you, plus all the Jedi points from all the unopened figures and playsets! The Jango Fett Pilot will be shipped to you in a plastic baggie, with no Jedi points or cards, and will be shipped in a plain paper envelope.

aceguide
04-07-2003, 10:08 AM
Does any one else recall the mutlitude of opportunitites to redeem points in the vintage era.... Or am I just making it up...

kdp100
04-07-2003, 10:37 AM
Does any one else recall the mutlitude of opportunities to redeem points in the vintage era.... Or am I just making it up...

Well, I for one can remember cutting-out and sending-off names from the cards of vintage figures in the early 80s to get Boba Fett, Dengar, Admiral Ackbar & Nien Nunb, as well as at least one set of action figure accessories....

JEDIpartner
04-07-2003, 11:12 AM
I recall:

Boba Fett
12 figure swivel stand
ESB weapons accessory pack
"L" stand set
Admiral Ackbar
"4-LOM"
Emperor
Anakin Skywalker

not sure... but was Bossk part of one of their promotions?

I cannot recall Dengar or Nein Nunb for some reason...

kdp100
04-07-2003, 11:39 AM
Maybe those were UK-only releases.
I had to send my "vouchers" off to Palitoy in Leicester rather than Kenner in the US.

Similarly, I don't remember "4-LOM" being available as an offer - although I do remember seeing it advertised on vintage carded figures about 5 years later.

You're right about the stands and the Emperor, though - I'd forgotten about them!
And Anakin, too, although I'd stopped collecting by then (temporarily, as it turned out).

JEDIpartner
04-11-2003, 11:20 AM
I missed on the Anakin one as well...

It could be that we did have a couple different figures released. The more I think about it... the more I DO believe that Bossk was a part of the US promotion JUST before ESB came out. Fett was part of a promotion during the winter/spring of early 1979 (if I remember) and I think Bossk was the mail-away winter/spring of early 1980.

Feh! We need more promotions like that!

Deoxyribonucleic
04-11-2003, 11:28 AM
remember the Mail-Away Hoth Accessory kit that came with back packs, oxygen masks, grappling hooks and a couple of extra guns? I loved that kit, added hours of extra play time for me Woohoo

I MISS mail-aways I remember being so excited, running to the mailbox everyday to see if they came. Ahh, the good ol' days. :)

waboritas
04-11-2003, 12:55 PM
Bosk was a promo, good memory.

Dr Zoltar
04-11-2003, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by Deoxyribonucleic
remember the Mail-Away Hoth Accessory kit that came with back packs, oxygen masks, grappling hooks and a couple of extra guns? I loved that kit, added hours of extra play time for me Woohoo

I loved the grappling hook! I have fond memories of my youth attaching Luke to anything I could find in the house. I also remember that it was difficult to get those oxygen masks to stay on for any length of time.

JEDIpartner
04-11-2003, 02:37 PM
Yeah... but at least there was a backpack for Yoda to fit in! :)

JediCole
04-11-2003, 04:41 PM
Bottom line on the Jedi Points (for those who have been collecting them for years) is that the will not be worth the cardboard they are printed on if Hasbro ever decides what kind of promotion they want to have. The ONLY promotion I recall was that Wal-Mart poster mail-away offer, but you had to have a REGISTER RECEIPT that was dated between very SPECIFIC DATES along with your points.

So what this all boils down to is that if Hasbro ever decides what they want to do with these points they will almost certainly require that you send along your regiser receipts (who has kept all of those?) and will almost certainly require that said receipts reflect purchase dates within a very specific time frame. And what this means for the loyal collectors of Jedi Points is that their piles of pre-existing points will be of no use to them. Mind you, I don't recommend that you just throw out all of your accumulated points, but if you look at trends with Hasbro in the last few years, the "Proof of Purchase" seal (a.k.a. Jedi Points) are no longer considered proof of ACTUAL purchase in their own right. They want you to PROVE your PROOF OF PURCHASE with a register receipt!

Hopefully the fact that most Jedi Points are now sealed within the bubbles of the figures will convince Hasbro that people won't just be cutting them off of the packages right on the store shelves (a concern for retailers to be sure). Of course if they do not require receipts for a promotion, be wary of "cheap" Star Wars figures as they will probably have the Jedi Points removed (like the Proof of Purchase seal-free carded Simpsons figures I've started to see at toy shows of late).

Deoxyribonucleic
04-11-2003, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by JediCole
the "Proof of Purchase" seal (a.k.a. Jedi Points) are no longer considered proof of ACTUAL purchase in their own right. They want you to PROVE your PROOF OF PURCHASE with a register receipt!

YEAH! How ridiculous is THAT! Have they made so much money that their minds are clouded with hate and contempt for those of us that support them? Sheesh!

I miss KENNER!

:)

Darth Jax
04-11-2003, 06:59 PM
wouldn't bother me if they want register receipts, i still got em all. although some are barely legible any longer since they've been sitting in a drawer for years now. if, and that's a big if, hasbro decides to do something with the points it will be in connection with release of ep. iii and will require dates of purchase of a specific month prior to films release to get an 'exclusive' sneak preview figure. but thats just my thoughts on the matter.

TheDarthVader
04-12-2003, 06:32 PM
That sounds good to me! An ep3 sneak preview figure exclusive! If they want the register receipt, I am dead :( I do not have any! However, I do have about 700 points...not too shabby.

seth_quinn
04-16-2003, 02:59 AM
hey b-frett, did my points and cash arrive yet? I'm really looking forward to having that jango in a baggie variant!

jedi points - it's like they're just one more joke hasbro pulled so they could sit around laughing at us a little harder while coming up with bad ideas to go with so they can find a reason to shelf the few good ideas they actually have from time to time.

bitter? who? me?

TheDarthVader
04-17-2003, 06:54 PM
In your face everyone that has doubted that we would never be able to redeem these!!!! ;)
from www.starwars.com (ask the jedi council)
April 17, 2003
What do I do with the Jedi Master Points on toy packaging?

Add flour and water and turn them into a papier-mâché dewback? String them end to end and use them to trim your next Christmas tree? When it gets really cold, use them as kindling for the fireplace? Send thousands of them to Hasbro corporate headquarters and let them figure out what to do with them?

Actually, the question of what to do with these little rectangles on the back of Hasbro's figures and other Star Wars toy packaging is probably the single most-asked question sent to Star Wars Insider's "Scouting the Galaxy" column -- and also to Hasbro. And the answer is that Hasbro, after working through many business and legal issues, has made much progress in coming up with a cool answer of what to do with Jedi Master Points.

"It has taken longer than we would have liked," notes Jeff Popper, Hasbro's director of marketing for Star Wars. Hasbro is hoping to be able to announce its plans in the not too-distant future, once every element is worked out. My advice: round up as many of those ubiquitous Points as you can, and stay tuned!

Turbowars
04-17-2003, 07:14 PM
LOL, what a joke! I do hope it's nothing to good, because I keep my figures carded, which means I don't even have 1 point to send in. What ever happens, I'm sure some on-line site will get a truck load of them. So far all mail aways have been pretty easy to get.

jjreason
04-17-2003, 07:24 PM
Can't wait to score that leftover T shirt from the "Racer" videogame, still in plastic wrapping of course!!!! Only 2000 points? Sweeeeeeeet.

Sentinel18725
04-17-2003, 10:16 PM
http://www.starwars.com/community/askjc/steve/askjc20030417.html

Nice answer by Sansweet here regarding the jedi point promotions. I always liked his columns and articles, but he sounds like a politician (which I am very familiar with living in the land of Dictator Daley).......

"It has taken longer than we would have liked," notes Jeff Popper, Hasbro's director of marketing for Star Wars. Hasbro is hoping to be able to announce its plans in the not too-distant future, once every element is worked out. My advice: round up as many of those ubiquitous Points as you can, and stay tuned!"

Wow, I know more now then I did ten seconds ago....

Deoxyribonucleic
04-17-2003, 10:29 PM
Just like UFO sightings, I'll believe it when I see it! :sur:

Kidhuman
04-17-2003, 11:17 PM
For us MOC collectors the Jedi Points are worthless. I don't want to ruin my cards to get an exclusive figure. I would have to buy two of alot of them. I say no!!!!!!

seth_quinn
04-17-2003, 11:33 PM
aw, more bad timing on my part, I just sent all my points to BobaFrett for that Jango-in-a-Baggie exclusive.

"I'll believe it when I see it!" - word.

however, if it does happen, I'm sure that all of us loose collectors will have a ton of points to spare that we would be happy to donate to our card collecting friends. I know I'll send some to anyone that asks.

DarthChuckMc
04-17-2003, 11:56 PM
For the MOC collectors....

Just buy a couple here and there that you might "like to play with".

I buy 2 of everything anyway, but sometimes 3 or 4 if I want a few to keep loose MINT since the kids get scratches and lost weopons and such.....

Better yet....go to TARGET before the 2 for $5 sale is over, but 10 figures, cut out the JPs, and save for figures for X-mas gifts at those toy dropoff things for underprivledge kids.

edit: I was thinking Toys For Tots, but I had a brainfart.

Turbowars
04-17-2003, 11:59 PM
Hand goes flying up,"CAN I HAVE SOME, CAN I HAVE SOME!" Dude that's cool of you Bro, no really, no BS.:) Now lets see if Hasbro pans out. :confused:

bobafrett
04-18-2003, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by seth_quinn
aw, more bad timing on my part, I just sent all my points to BobaFrett for that Jango-in-a-Baggie exclusive.

"I'll believe it when I see it!" - word.

Your figure should be arriving via e-mail, just be patient!

I too, will believe when I see it.

seth_quinn
04-18-2003, 12:19 AM
"Your figure should be arriving via e-mail, just be patient!" rotflmao! I don't know if this little back and forth has amused anybody else as much as it has me, but that line takes the cake.

evenflow
04-18-2003, 07:40 AM
If they ever do this promotion, it will be insane. Think about it, Hasbro knows we have insane amounts of points. For them not to lose money, they will either ask for an insaner number of points or reciepts.

InsaneJediGirl
04-18-2003, 09:00 AM
Bobafrett,Can the other memebers of SSG cash in on that Jango-In-A-Ziploc-Baggie Offer?;)

Hasbro could ask for reciepts or could put a limit on the number of figures one could get per address.

Kidhuman
04-18-2003, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by DarthChuckMc
For the MOC collectors....

Just buy a couple here and there that you might "like to play with".

I buy 2 of everything anyway, but sometimes 3 or 4 if I want a few to keep loose MINT since the kids get scratches and lost weopons and such.....

Better yet....go to TARGET before the 2 for $5 sale is over, but 10 figures, cut out the JPs, and save for figures for X-mas gifts at those toy dropoff things for underprivledge kids.

edit: I was thinking Toys For Tots, but I had a brainfart.

You know that is not a bad idea. It is helping 2 causes at the same time.

seth_quinn
04-18-2003, 10:14 AM
oh, don't kid yourself, if they actually go through with it, the shipping and handling will be insane. $43 s&h for $0.43 of actual postage

TheDarthVader
04-18-2003, 12:36 PM
Oh, come on people! Let's show a little optimism here. Geez. I can't believe all of your negativity...doubting Thomas's. I will only believe when I see. Well, I believed that we would eventually get a new 12" (scale anyway) yoda and *boom* it happened...it took a while but it happened and I never saw the plans or prototype for him! It actually took from 1998 to 2003 so...5 years I have waited. Patience is a virtue.

JediCole
04-18-2003, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by Darth Jax
wouldn't bother me if they want register receipts, i still got em all. although some are barely legible any longer since they've been sitting in a drawer for years now.

The real problem with all of those receipts, legible or not, is that if Hasbro remains true to their recent history, the old receipts will be as worthless as the paper they are printed on since they tend to set their promotions with purchases made within a specific time frame, not in the past.

aceguide
04-18-2003, 04:06 PM
Considering the riot Hasbro would have on their hands if they did limit the purchase time-frame or create other restrictions one would hope that they would think that through. But, knowing Hasbro, it will take nothing less than your first born to get the promotion.

seth_quinn
04-18-2003, 04:18 PM
hmm... maybe this would be a good way to get rid of peg warmers and make space for some new stuff...

introducing seth's customs! we offer a wide range of classic saga greats such as: every figure from 1 >> 30 and other favorites like taun we! as a bonus, and this is the exciting part... each figure comes with your choice of custom packaging!! choose from: non-ziplock sandwich baggie, balled up in 10 feet of cling wrap, the ever fashionable brown paper bag, two sheets of kleenex wrapped in duct tape or twist-tied to popsicle stick; or for an extra $5, placed inside an empty b&j's ccc-dough ice cream carton.

this is an unlimited time offer so act now!

please send $10 cash ($15 for the carton variation) to the

seth_quinn needs a toy-fair vader coalition

[pm the the author of this post for a mailing address]

TheDarthVader
04-18-2003, 09:41 PM
(probably) The reason why this was delayed so long is that Hasbro knew that some people would be ripping off and stealing the points if there was a promotion going on. So, IMO, that is why we have wondered and waited for 4 years. If they want receipts, I will mail my points to someone that has receipts because I have none. (this would be pretty low of hasbro). Only time will tell :)

bobafrett
04-18-2003, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by seth_quinn
"Your figure should be arriving via e-mail, just be patient!" rotflmao! I don't know if this little back and forth has amused anybody else as much as it has me, but that line takes the cake.

Entertaining one SSG member at a time!

Originally posted by InsaneJediGirl
Bobafrett,Can the other memebers of SSG cash in on that Jango-In-A-Ziploc-Baggie Offer?

Only the Canadian members. Sorry.

Well, like many other members here, I keep most of my figures carded. I have opened some, and have saved the points. I'm hoping they have different levels like 200 points = free battle droid, 1000 points = free "unmade creature", so on, and so forth.

mm74md
04-19-2003, 09:51 AM
From another site....

Actually, the question of what to do with these little rectangles on the back of Hasbro's figures and other Star Wars toy packaging is probably the single most-asked question sent to Star Wars Insider's "Scouting the Galaxy" column -- and also to Hasbro. And the answer is that Hasbro, after working through many business and legal issues, has made much progress in coming up with a cool answer of what to do with Jedi Master Points.

"It has taken longer than we would have liked," notes Jeff Popper, Hasbro's director of marketing for Star Wars. Hasbro is hoping to be able to announce its plans in the not too-distant future, once every element is worked out. My advice: round up as many of those ubiquitous Points as you can, and stay tuned!