PDA

View Full Version : Rob Zombie's House of 1000 Corpses *Spoilers*

DarthChuckMc
04-05-2003, 02:06 PM
So...I was searching Kazaa last night for..stuff.....and I saw a commercial for the new Rob Zombie House of 1000 Corpses movie. So, I typed 1000 Corpses into the search field, and guess what?? The whole freakin' movie was on there. So naturally, being the curious guy that I am (my friends call me Whiskers), I downloaded it...just to see if it was INDEED what the file name proclaimed.
Well....it was. Needless to say I was shocked and in awe, so I grabbed a diet mountain dew from the fridge, a couple of StarCrunch (OK....FIVE) from the cupboard, and proceded to watch Mr. Zombie's much heard about, but forever in limbo film project.

Let me start by saying, I wasn't expecting much. I figured, the guy has decent music (alot of it sounds like the same song), but what the hay, he could make a good movie, right?

The story in a nutshell, 4 college age kids are driving cross country looking for roadside points of interest, and write a book about them. What they find is a house full of psychos, that love Halloween, and have a hankerin' for torturing passers-by.

Visually, it's similar to Rob's music videos. Lots of bizarre images thrown in the middle of scenes, wacky nude girls dancing around, and washed out images, showing acts of gore.

The grossout factor isn't as bad as I would've expected, since it's gone through 3-4 studios not willing to release it because of gore and dialogue. Sure, it has some nasty choppings and slicings, but nothing like the old Italian Giallo films by Bava* or Argento*

*For those who don't know these 2 names, but you are a horror fan, check them out. Not your typical Hollywood horror directors.

The acting was kinda...weird. The nutty people were nutty, that's for sure. The college kids spouted typical horror film jargon in sarcastic annoying voices. The supporting characters (Cops, Dad) did good jobs delivering their lines.

It was sorta scary. No real "jump out of your seat" scares, though.

I don't want to give anything away..so... I won't.

If you were thinking about going to see House of 1000 Corpses...go see it, it is good. If you weren't thinking of going to see it....go see it, it's good.

I just hope the DVD has some of the "disturbing" footage that obviously didn't make this cut.

3 out of 5 Spinning Outta Control TIE Fighters

Jedi_Master_Guyute
04-05-2003, 05:20 PM
Thanks for the review!! I've been waiting for that movie since i began seeing teasers for it last year, and i got irked hearing about it's release problems. I hear it's getting a limited release this month, so i hope it comes to my town. Glad it was good. Cheers!! :D

Amy
04-05-2003, 05:46 PM
I am a HUGE Rob Zombie fan, and have been DYING(hehe) to see this flick since I first heard about it. Nice review by the way:) I'm thinking about downloading it now, but I think I'll leave my first viewing for the big screen:)

Kidhuman
04-05-2003, 05:55 PM
Really, I want to see this movie. I am off to Kazaa.

James Boba Fettfield
04-05-2003, 11:23 PM
I'll save my $6 and see the craptacular House of the Dead instead.

James Boba Fettfield
04-09-2003, 11:21 AM
Go here if you want to see the list of theaters that will be playing House of 1000 Corpses (http://www.creature-corner.com/news3/apr09houselocationslist.php3)
I may go see this movie now, since it's playing at the AMC theater right by the Ohio State campus. May my $6 be worthy of this movie...or is it may this movie be worthy of my $6?

2-1B
04-09-2003, 12:00 PM
I am curious to see the flick but I have the soundtrack and I know that I at least love that part of the project ! :)

evenflow
04-09-2003, 01:03 PM
I hope that when the DVD comes out, the original NC-17 version is included as well as the theatrical release.

Darth Jax
04-09-2003, 10:49 PM
heard an interview with spider today (rob's bro.) and he sounded a little peeved that he wasn't offered a cameo or chance to die in the flick. did mention that premiere is next week.

2-1B
04-10-2003, 02:52 AM
Spider is 1/100th the musical artist Rob is - so why should he get a scene in Rob's movie ? ? ? :crazed: :crazed: :crazed:

Darth Jax
04-11-2003, 12:09 AM
sorry, not much a fan of either the zombie brothers music. will this movie be any better than dee snider's strangeland?

James Boba Fettfield
04-11-2003, 04:22 PM
So, who wasted money on this movie? I almost went after leaving my astronomy exam today, but I thought better of it and decided the $6 would buy me some new socks, instead.

Anyone out there catch this movie?

James Boba Fettfield
04-12-2003, 03:37 PM
Well, I decided my socks can wait for another day to be bought, and I saw this movie today. Wow, what a ****ed up movie it was.
The story of the whacko family meeting up with some strangers reminded me of Texas Chainsaw Massacre, and there's a lot of weird stuff in between all of this. I liked the ending of the movie, but I'm not going to give much else away about it by saying more. I liked that Spalding guy who runs the fried chicken/freak show place. If you see the movie, you'll understand who that is. Um, not much else I can say about this movie.
If you like ****ed up ****, Rob Zombie, or just gross things, then this movie is for you.
That being said, McFarlane bring me toys of Dr. Satan and Tiny.

DarthChuckMc
04-12-2003, 03:57 PM
Yes yes yes...
I totally agree JBF. I saw it again last night, too. Even better on the big screen. Since I already had my "private viewing", I decided to watch crowd reaction. People were grossed out, freaked out, and scared ****less. The theater I went to, Point Orlando Muvico, was almost full, which was a little surprising honestly. Everyone seemed to enjoy it. Of course when I walked out, I just had to scream "DOCTOR SATAN!!! YAHYAHYAHYAHYAH!"
Everyone go see it, and YOU will too. :D

James Boba Fettfield
04-14-2003, 11:07 AM
There's some news on this movie concerning its dvd and more screen additions. First, the dvd stuff.

Even though House of 1000 Corpses is a super amazing flick, some people have been disappointed with the amount of blood in the film. I took it upon myself to ask Rob Zombie's personal assistant on the reasons why, and here's her response, with a little news on the DVD, both backed up by Rob Zombie himself on a recent radio interview....

*EXCLUSIVE NEWS* Rob Zombies personal assistant wrote in, "Just a note...it was never said that the movie was overly bloody or gory, the problems the MPAA had with it as well as Universal was "moral depravity and indifference." Somewhere along the line people came under the impression that House of 1000 Corpses was going to be uber-gory but that is as you can see not the case. Also there will be another unrated directors cut on DVD down the line."

Rob Zombie confired this on my local radio station Q 101.1, where he basically exclaimed that the theatrical release was watered down compared to what we'll see on the DVD.

Read tons of reviews for House of 1000 Corpses right here and don't miss miss this for the world!

The Box Office Mojo reported that House of 1000 Corpses brought in 3.4 million on it's opening weekend, Anthrofred writes in, "House Of 1000 Corpses had a very limited release this weekend and still scored big! House Of 1000 Corpses had a very limited release on approx 500 screens over USA and still managed to roll in 3.4 million dollars! Considering that the high budget movie Below only made $500,000 dollars over all and opened up on 500 screens as well. This could potentially increase the theaters playing House for the next weekend."

As for the theater news, the film has been expanded by 700 more screens.
1000 Corpses (http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=1438&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0)

Patient Zero
04-14-2003, 11:16 AM
Well, I saw this one over the weekend and it was pretty much as expected. Nothing great, but nothing horrible either. Very Texas Chainsaw massacre-ish. Even to the point of having similar looking characters. Saw it once and that is all I'll need. I did however remember why I don't go to the theater any longer. Stupid loud mouth teeny boppers!

After the film, I went to the rest room and there was this young kid putting on a huge gas mask. GOD, I hate Hot Topic for making the gothic/industrial subculture trendy.

dr_evazan22
04-15-2003, 12:03 AM
I saw this tonight and I won't see it again - except- maybe for the unrated version. Very disturbing! the friends I saw it w/ also compared it to the TxCM, but I've never seen that, so...

I forget which one of you said it, but this WILL make some cool McFarlane fig's.

The scene where the person gets shot was well done. You knew he was going to get it, but they made us keep waiting and waiting.

I'm now currently trying to stay awake so I don't dream about this...

James Boba Fettfield
04-15-2003, 12:10 AM
Ha ha, I remember that "shot scene." I was sitting there thinking, "Come on, do it! Do it now!" It seemed like it took forever to do the inevitable. The more time has passed since I saw this movie, the cooler it has become in my eyes.

scruffziller
04-16-2003, 01:21 PM
Pretty much ditto on alot of the stuff you guys have been saying. But it seemed more like Rob took a bunch of movies and put them into a blender and mixed them up. But Texas Chainsaw Massacre being the largest portion.

Most disturbing scene:

I don't want to know what was in those box of Agatha Crispies Cereal Tiny was eating.

Real Genius Scene:

The delayed gunshot scene. Rob must have really studied people's psychology to get that one down.......

I also wonder if the "manequins" in the murder ride were NOT real manequins at all.

dr_evazan22
04-16-2003, 07:56 PM
towards the end of the movie I was wondering about the mannequins also. I thought that the girl was going to exit the tunnel in the "death ride".

DarthChuckMc
04-16-2003, 09:12 PM
Ending in the "death ride" would've been cool, too.

The most disturbing thing in the movie to me was the "axe man" chasing Denise through the tunnels. When he pulls off his "mask" I was grossed out by the......nevermind :D

One of the funniest was at the beginning, when the stupid gunman pulls Stucky (I think that's his name) out of the bathroom, and he has a Planet of the Apes doll in his hands. :D :D :D

I may go see it again this weekend.

James Boba Fettfield
04-16-2003, 09:33 PM
Wasn't that axe man the dad of Tiny?

QLD
04-16-2003, 09:47 PM
I downloaded this......but I haven't watched it yet. It looks like it sucks hard.

But it can't be worse than Class of Nuke 'Em High 2

DarthChuckMc
04-16-2003, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by James Boba Fettfield
Wasn't that axe man the dad of Tiny?

Not sure...Firefly said he tried to kill everyone by burning the house down, but never said if he died, or was put in Weeping Willows under the care of Dr. Satan.

RJ (Roufus Junior, the towtruck driver) was the oldest I think, then Tiny, and Baby is the baby. I think Otis may be a cousin, or may be just a wacko that lives with the family, and Grandpa is...well.. Grandpa.

BTW.the guy that plays Tiny is "Bigfoot" from the Howard Stern show.

James Boba Fettfield
04-16-2003, 10:26 PM
I asked that because he looked like the guy from the flashback when the mom is explaining about why Tiny wears the mask. They show what looked like that axe guy in the flash back.

EDIT-I added spoilers to the subject title of this thread, Chuck, since I don't want anyone coming here complaining we ruined the movie or whatever.

DarthChuckMc
04-16-2003, 10:29 PM
Yeah kinda....I'm watching it now. He does look similar....but she calls him Earl when she's talking about him, but RJ is supposed to be Roufus Junior...maybe he has a different dad?

edit: Good idea about adding *spoiler* :D.....I would've, but I didn't think I had the "power"

James Boba Fettfield
04-16-2003, 10:32 PM
Maybe he was Earl Roufus. I've got nothing here.

dr_evazan22
04-17-2003, 09:44 AM
Thanks for adding the spoiler!

I'm not really too good w/ names, but the "main" bad guy, after he killed the cops and the girls father he had the kids tied up in then basement. Then the "main" bad guy came down the steps wearing the fathers face. Well, I thought he looked like the Emperor in ROTJ.

Zombie's wife was looking very nice, esp in the long johns she wore when it was just her and the first guy in the house, waiting for the others w/ the tow truck. Sweet! Just needs to drop that laugh.

scruffziller
04-17-2003, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by dr_evazan22

Zombie's wife was looking very nice, esp in the long johns she wore when it was just her and the first guy in the house, waiting for the others w/ the tow truck. Sweet! Just needs to drop that laugh.

Wow that is Zombie's wife?? Isn't she also on one of the covers of his albums??

I figured out that the brother Bigfoot played was not a towtruckman but obtained the towtruck from the way they got the police car.

plasticfetish
04-18-2003, 06:59 AM
First of all ...

Originally posted by The Ghost of Jonna
After the film, I went to the rest room and there was this young kid putting on a huge gas mask. GOD, I hate Hot Topic for making the gothic/industrial subculture trendy.
Hahahahahahahaha! C'mon ... they're cute, it's funny. Wouldn't it be funny if all the kids dressed like that and it became completely mainstream?

OK.

Cashed in some movie passes at the local Edwards Cinema this evening ... saw Mr. Zombie's film.

First ... any similarities to Texas Chainsaw are largely due to the fact that Otis was played by BILL MOSELEY who also played "Chop Top" (one of my favorite film loonies ever) in Chainsaw 2. This alone gets Mr. Zombie one gold pentagram.

Second ... Captain Spalding and the whole "Museum of Monsters and Madmen" thing was great ... SID HAIG the guy that played Spalding is one of those creepy guys that you've seen around a lot of times and he's super in this film. He played "Ralph" in the movie "Spider Baby." He was also in THX 1138 ... he played "NCH" ... another gold pentagram for Sid Haig. The casting in general was great.

Third ... "Doctor Satan" ... we laughed so damned hard when they first said that name. That's the first time during the film that I said "I love Rob Zombie." The film's full of eyecandy and horror film cliché ... but it's all done faithfully and it's obvious that Zombie's made a movie full of the stuff he likes to see. For the most part I'd say that I like it too. Another gold star for production design and good "classic" horror movie form.

Fourth ... The story is pretty interesting, but I will say that it could have been a lot tighter. It wandered a bit ... left a few loose ends and didn't tie things together as well as it could have. Ultimately I think it suffered a little because the look of the film seemed to dominate. I will say that final criticism may need to wait until we can see the unrated version ... it just feels like we're missing some parts that were edited out for one reason or another. I also think that the movie would have benefited from a lot more humor. Texas Chainsaw 2 is one of my favorite movies because of the dark humor ... this movie needs more of that, the "funny" always makes the "scary" seem more scary because of the contrast between the two. It had it's moments though, but I feel Zombie spent a lot of time turning up the volume on the "cool stuff" when he should have been keying up the stuff that really makes a movie memorable like dialogue and unique characters. I give the script a half gold pentagram.

Fifth ... my main beef is that while I think much of the film style and dizzying effects are good, in many ways it's just too much. I hope that if he takes a stab at another of these movies, he'll work in more of the subtle scary stuff ... work on atmosphere and pacing to deliver the chills. Most of the time things moved so fast that you never had a chance to get scared. Sticking with Texas Chainsaw ... the first one was so great because they had some limitations and they used them to their advantage. Rob Zombie seems like a kid in a creepy candy shop with this film ... near the end I started thinking that it was like seeing a student film, but with a huge budget.

It was great for a first film ... I have another movie pass to get rid of by the end of the month, so I may go see it again. I hope that Zombie makes more movies ... I've missed movies like this and the kind of gore filled stuff that we used to get years ago. I doubt that he'll pull for another one because this one seemed to have been such a pain to make, but who knows.

Final total ... 3 and 1/2 gold pentagrams (out of 5.) A good matinee and probably a great rental when it comes out on DVD. Check out the Web site for some corpsey fun.

www.houseof1000corpses.com (http://www.houseof1000corpses.com)

scruffziller
04-18-2003, 09:18 AM
Not only a pain to make but more so trying to get it distributed.
But don't forget at the end there was a question mark.

Fulit
04-18-2003, 11:40 AM
How can it be that my LOCAL paper reviewed this movie and Little Rock is not on the list of places it's showing? Why do people continually overlook Little Rock? I mean for God's sake we had a president from here, and people still pass us over for everything, concerts, movies, you name it.

plasticfetish
04-18-2003, 05:46 PM
Yeah distribution was very minimal, but ...

"Well H1K kicked some serious *** this weekend at the box office raking in 3.4 million dollars and coming in at #7. What makes that even more spectacular is that it was playing on 595 screen...far fewer then any other movie in the top 10, it had the 2nd highest per screen earnings, only Anger Management was ahead of it. We here at Zombie HQ wan't to thank everyone for their support and their patience of this film. Because of the incredible weekend, Lions Gate will be adding 200 more theatres and look for it to open in Canada on April 18th. And remember to check back here for more info."

... that from Rob Zombie's site. So, Fulit you may get it soon.

Tonysmo
04-20-2003, 04:18 AM
Im watching it now.. and I find it um... different.. I find most of the points in this forum vaild as well... very Texas Chainsawish.. that gun shot DID take forever... and he DOES look like the emporer as he was coming down the stairs.. Dont think Ill need to see it in the theaters.. Ill wait for the DVD.. now to find a HULK screener

2-1B
04-21-2003, 10:54 PM
What a fun movie ! ! ! :happy:

I finally saw it, and overall I really enjoyed it.

Good call on Bill Mosely, I was also pretty certain it was Chop Top.

Yeah, uh, we really need to get some confirmation on Sherri Moon as Zombie's wife - HOLY JEEZ ! :crazed:
I can see how some people would hate that laugh, but personally I LOVED it. What a freak . . . she was awesome.

My friend pointed out to me that one of the other girls looked like a young Frances McDormand - did anyone else make that connection? I can totally see it.

Tiny was FREAKING HILARIOUS to me, the "cereal" eating was over the top, and how about that shoulder shrug when he let her get away? :D Wow, I laughed so many times during this movie, but for the right reasons. ;)

The movie is so messed up that nothing could be shocking about it to me . . . there's nothing really new in that respect.
What did kinda bother me though was the vision the father had of his family in their living room, happy and safe. :( That's the scene that got to me the most.

I really liked Bill (the guy who became Fishboy(?) :D ) -- he's on Six Feet Under right now as Arthur, so that added a bit to my enjoyment of his presence in the film.

James Boba Fettfield
04-21-2003, 11:07 PM
Fangoria has an interview with Sheri where she talks about her husband and being cast in the film by her husband. www.fangoria.com is where you can find it at.

2-1B
04-21-2003, 11:27 PM
Very cool article, thanks ! :)

Wow, I'm really out of the Zombie loop I guess . . . that's cool that she was involved with the dancers on stage for his shows, last time I saw him (last summer) I thought it was very well done and not trashy. :)

I just pulled out my Sinister Urge CD, I wonder if that's her pic on the actual CD? Yep, I just checked and she's credited as "666 Girl" :)

QLD
04-24-2003, 03:19 AM
I just watched this movie today........and let me just say this.

Somebody owes me money.

I know I downloaded it for free.....but I still feel somebody owes me a large sum of money for actually being brave enough to watch that 2 hour dung-fest.

I swear to God, that has to be the worst movie I have seen in my 28 years of life. It was just sick, gross, and twisted. There was no story, and all the characters were totally unsympathetic.

Now I wasn't looking for a masterpiece, or even a good movie. I even though I might be pleasantly surprised. But this movie was dookie on a stick. If I ever meet Rob Zombie, I swear I will kick him straight in the ***** for releasing this diseased festering pile of **** ***** on the human race.

So.....that's what I thought. :)

2-1B
04-24-2003, 04:16 AM
So QL-LIMP-D, you're saying it's worse than TPM and AOTC ? :crazed:

"Sick"? agreed.
"Gross"? agreed.
"Twisted"? agreed.

but . . .

"Funny" ! ! ! You forgot to mention "funny" ! ! ! :D

scruffziller
04-24-2003, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by Lando In My Pants

It was just sick, gross, and twisted. There was no story, and all the characters were totally unsympathetic.

Well LIMP, I think you got the point and you didn't like it for those reasons????

You must not like horror movies............................

or know one when you see it.:rolleyes:

James Boba Fettfield
04-24-2003, 12:06 PM
Ha ha, you guys need to see some of the lesser known films out there if this movie is considered gross.

DarthChuckMc
04-24-2003, 12:07 PM
Why do movies have to have meaning? Why can't a movie just be fun for the sake of being fun?
Not every movie that comes out has to stimulate something so profound in you that your life is changed by it.
This movie was done in fun and in the spirit of the 60s and 70s B-movies. It is was what it was meant to be....entertainment.
Just because you didn't like it mean it's the be all end all of suckdom.

First off, it's a horror movie. Horror movies are made to :

A) shock people
B) disturb people
C) frighten people
D) gross people out

Second, name one horror movie that has come out in the last 10 years that has been either an original idea, or pays homage to the movies that inspired it, and I don't tell me "I still know what you did last summer" was inspired by "I know what you did last summer". Those movies are bottom of the barrel when it comes to horror because they are so ridiculous, you know how the movie will end before the credits finish flashing at the beginning of the movie.

My reason for going to the movies is to escape from the everyday ins and outs of life. If I want to be enlightened, I'll stay home and watch Discovery or the History channel.

Maybe some "critics" should try doing the same, and not take crap so seriously. Have fun people. We ain't here forever, so make the best of it while you can, instead of being a hoity toity stick in the mud.

James Boba Fettfield
04-24-2003, 12:09 PM
I can understand why LIMP doesn't like it. I feel the same way about Requiem For A Dream. Garbage, yet others hail it like a great film. Opinions, aren't they great.

2-1B
04-24-2003, 12:24 PM
Hey, I was reading about that original trailer (I saw it a few years ago but forgot what it included - all I recall is a few guys in haz mat suits - ) and isn't it kinda cool that the trailer actually is a coda to the film ? ? ?

The trailer talked about how on Nov. 1 1977, Texas authorities uncovered one of the most shocking crimes in history. Well, the events of the fim primarily take place on Halloween Eve, right?

So the next morning when the girl is picked up by Captain Spaulding and Otis, it would be Halloween. And then the next day, the police begin to find the graves/bodies . . .
Or was it actually on Halloween when they met Dr. Satan? That's right, they spend the night at the house so it's Halloween when most of the carnage occurs.

So it's actually Nov 1st when the girl is picked up. The authorites have to be all over the place since 2 cops are missing AND they already found Karen Murphy. Didn't that older guy remind you of Uncle Jesse from the Dukes of Hazard ? :D Anyway, that guy was aware of some happenings, so it makes sense that they would start finding things.

I wonder what happened to "the family" ? Did they pick up and leave? Did they slaughter any officials who tried to search the house?

:crazed:

QLD
04-24-2003, 12:47 PM
Opinions are great. If you like it, then more power to you baby!

However, I didn't, and yes Caesar, I would say it was much worse than AOTC of TPM. :crazed:

I do know a horror movie when I see it. I used to watch them quite frequently as a child, but not so much anymore. Evil Dead I find funny. I didn't find anything funny about this movie. It never scared me at all, it just made me stare at it like a train wreck.

I thought it was just gross and weird for the sake of being gross and weird. I just prefer a little reasoning behind it. And if there was a reason for the way the family behaved, I sure must have missed it.

I am up for some mindless fun at the movies, (see AOTC as a reference). However, nothing about this particular movie seemed fun to me. Austin Powers is fun, Nightmare on Elm Street is fun. Crazy, Psycho, Inbred, dressing people in bunny suits family is not fun to me. Notice I said to me. If you have fun watching that, than again, more power to you.

But you shouldn't portray me as some snobby "critic", just beause I think that this movie is totally devoid of good qualities. Maybe some "fans" should lighten up and remember this is an internet forum, where people's opinions are offered whether you want them or not, and just take my post as that......an opinion.

Don't like my opinion, then tough, I imagine you'll get over it.

scruffziller
04-24-2003, 01:40 PM
What about Texas Chainsaw Massacre how would you size that up, LIMP????

DarthChuckMc
04-24-2003, 01:46 PM
The "critic" comment wasn't directed at you LIMP, it was meant for critics in general.

I'm all for people giving opinions. I wouldn't have started the thread if I wasn't expecting to get any. I don't expect everyone to feel the way I do about a movie.

I understand that this is an internet forum, and typed word can be taken different than it was intended (ie. the "critic" remark).

I've tried lightening up, but thanks to genetics, my big fat *** just won't go along with the program. :D

QLD
04-24-2003, 03:46 PM
As I told Darth Chuck in private, sometimes my descriptions can be overzealous and extreme, for the sake of humor. It's just who I am.

I don't plan on changing anyone's opinions, but I still think the movie is craptastic. It figures CAESAR would like it.... :crazed:

As far as Texas Chainsaw, I never cared for that much either, and they are practically the same movie, though I think TCM pulled it off a lot better. Just my opinion though.

plasticfetish
04-24-2003, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by Lando In My Pants
But you shouldn't portray me as some snobby "critic"
Hahaha ... "snobby" you aren't. Good use of the term "butt spray" BTW.

Agree - the movie needed more of the "funny" and it wasn't as scary as it should have been.

Disagree - the "bunny suits" were one of the most amusing things in the movie.

scruffziller
04-25-2003, 09:57 AM
Well I wouldn't say it was scary, just disturbing. And you don't have to find a movie likeable as a horror movie for it to be disturbing. Let me guess, LIMP you weren't even disturbed by the movie itself, I am sure you will say you were disturbed by how bad the movie was though, that doesn't apply for an answer.
I think you were so deeply horrorfied by it that you are saying how bad it was, cinematically, to deal with your anxiety. You'll probably say I am way off base(or a synonym of the like) and then I'll say you're in denial, hee hee. This is too much fun.

Originally posted by DarthChuckMc

Second, name one horror movie that has come out in the last 10 years that has been either an original idea, or pays homage to the movies that inspired it, and I don't tell me "I still know what you did last summer" was inspired by "I know what you did last summer". Those movies are bottom of the barrel when it comes to horror because they are so ridiculous, you know how the movie will end before the credits finish flashing at the beginning of the movie.

Maybe some "critics" should try doing the same, and not take crap so seriously. Have fun people. We ain't here forever, so make the best of it while you can, instead of being a hoity toity stick in the mud.

Name a movie, I would say Jeepers Creepers applies and is one of a kind being an original. Meaning that I don't count Jason X.

Yea I know what you mean Darth Chuck. I keep running into people that have opinions but they don't have "VALID" opinions.
That means the person's reason for liking or disliking something is not believable on their part. The way they explain how they feel about it doesn't really coincide with what you do know about them. In a way it is like they are either lying to you and or lying to themselves as to how they feel because they don't want to potray themselves as a certain way because they have this thing of "personal honor". I could just be picking on one individual here that I know personally. Do you guys know anybody like that? (if I explained myself good enough)

QLD
04-25-2003, 12:50 PM
I suppose I was "disturbed " by the movie, but that didn't effect my review. I was also "disturbed" by Poltergeist, but I LIKE that movie. So I don't really see where your point is leading.

scruffziller
04-26-2003, 10:36 AM
I'm not real sure now either, hee hee. I go too deep sometimes.
I guess I am just trying to see it your way and understand how you see it. I guess I am just confused as in horror movies to be "disturbed" by it and be able to like or dislike indiscriminately with that disturbing element still being there. To me if a person says, "oh that movie didn't disturb(or the like) me" I would assume they didn't like it.

Tonysmo
04-27-2003, 06:10 AM
Id suggest it was 4:20 when he came up with that!

so soooo deep

2-1B
04-27-2003, 04:29 PM
I saw it again last night, I loved it even more the second time !

Tiny and Baby rule ! ! ! :D

scruffziller
04-27-2003, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by Tonysmo
Id suggest it was 4:20 when he came up with that!

so soooo deep

nope, I have never made it to 4:20 about 4:00 but not 4:20.

plasticfetish
04-30-2003, 04:18 AM
Saw the film again today ... liked it just as much. Perhaps even more because I could look at the details and didn't have to worry about things flying out at me. The jumpy editing style and switching film stock thing didn't bother me as much, again probably because I was expecting it.

Final opinion ... it's a good horror movie. I'm looking forward to the DVD release and I hope the DVD cut is longer. There should have been more Doctor Satan ... but the kids always want more Doctor Satan don't they?

... and Caeser ... do you like Tiny and Baby because they both look cute in their jammies?

... and and and ... here's a question ... my wife suggested that Otis may have been the Doctor's son (same stringy hair) ... and I thought that maybe the "guy" with the axe at the end was the father (who lit Tiny on fire) because of the mask. What do you think?

James Boba Fettfield
04-30-2003, 04:43 AM
I said the same thing about him looking like the dad from the flashback story a few pages back. I never thought about that Otis thing, though.

2-1B
04-30-2003, 05:03 AM
That huge dude is definitely Tiny's dad, it was very clear during my second viewing. :)
I was so assaulted with images the first time that I never made the connection but Jaymz is totally right IMO.

plasticfetish, I do indeed like Baby because she looks cute in her jammies . . . and her cowgirl hat, her cheerleader outfit, Bill's glasses, her Bette Davis outfit, ESPECIALLY her chaps when they hit the Liquor store ;) and of course her "outfit" while she's hanging out with that skeleton. :crazed:

As for Tiny, here's something I didn't remember from my first showing - how great is that shirt he is wearing when he brings Denise the Agatha Crispies ? :D :D :D It says "Cheap A** Halloween Costume" and man is that ever funny on him.

I still think the funniest 2 moments are Tiny slurping the Crispies and the shrug he gives Otis after he unties Denise. :D

Otis as Dr. Satan's son? That's quite possible, it seems Mother Firefly managed to find several different fathers for her kids !

Oh, before I forget again, remember that guy who hosted the MTV show "Singled Out" ?
Well, he played Jerry (the one with the beard). :)

plasticfetish
04-30-2003, 05:57 AM
Originally posted by James Boba Fettfield
I said the same thing about him looking like the dad from the flashback story a few pages back.
Yep, I just spotted that ... I think you're right. It didn't sink in until the second viewing.

Originally posted by Caesar
how great is that shirt he is wearing when he brings Denise the Agatha Crispies ? It says "Cheap A** Halloween Costume" and man is that ever funny on him.
Yeah and I love the fact that he changes costumes several times.

scruffziller
04-30-2003, 10:59 AM
Yeah that strange hulking walk that Tiny does definately gives Frankenstine's monster a run for his money. Yea I think you are right about the Madam Firefly thing. I thought that was Otis when they showed Dr. Satan, so that seems like a plausible idea, that Ms. Firefly got around.

James Boba Fettfield
05-14-2003, 01:48 PM
I just read this on DVDFILE.COM

The hills are alive...with the sound of Rob Zombie. On August 12th, Lion's Gate Home Entertainment will release Rob Zombie's directorial debut, the highly-controversial and oft-postponed The House of 1000 Corpses. Yikes! Lion's Gate will release the flick in R-rated and Unrated versions, and will be presented in anamorphic widescreen and 5.1 Dolby surround. Extras include an audio commentary by Zombie, an isolated music score, behind-the-scenes footage, a still gallery, theatrical trailers, and possibly more to be announced. Stay tuned...if you dare.

wedgeA
05-15-2003, 09:38 PM
Seen the film and I have to agree with LIMP's sentiment that it is one of the worst films I have seen in my life. I consider myself a moderate horror fan, and I have to say that the best horror films are those that both scare and disturb me. This film did neither.

It was not nearly as gory as I had expected, and I found most of the so called disturbing moments to be ridiculously pretentious, such as the extended gunshot sequence, the over use of reverse negatives, etc. Zombie lacked discipline in his direction, as he tried to stuff every trick he could think of into the film and for me, it negated the intended effect of the film. Instead of coming off as disturbing, it was trite and amatuerish.

Many people here compare the film to TCM, but TCM was both scary and disturbing because it is shot in a documentary style, which makes the viewer relate more to the setting. Also, the failed at recreating TCM's great dark humor.

If there is a sequel, hopefully Zombie realizes that in some cases, less is more.

2-1B
05-16-2003, 01:53 AM
Last House on the Left uses a documentary approach (since Craven didn't know any other approaches :D ) and it surely works in that film. :(

I'm so excited for the Corpses DVD, I'm glad it will be out in August. I have been considering a third trip to the theater to see it, but I guess I can wait less than 3 more months. :)

"Ain't the only thing tasty in this house." :D

plasticfetish
05-16-2003, 03:05 AM
Oh yeah, I'm looking forward to the DVD also ... it's gonna make a lovely birthday gift to myself.

As far as any comparison to Texas Chainsaw goes ... yeah, I think it's agreed that it lacks much of the humor and much of the resulting scare. But, I'm looking at this movie like a kind of novelty ... we had some friends over for a party the other night and one of them said pretty much what I've been saying, that it's nice (and fun) to see a movie like this being made right now. I'm hoping that the unrated DVD version will be better and am looking forward to putting it in the Satan worshipping-cannibal-psychopath section of my collection.

mrmiller
05-16-2003, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by wedgeA
It was not nearly as gory as I had expected, and I found most of the so called disturbing moments to be ridiculously pretentious, such as the extended gunshot sequence, the over use of reverse negatives, etc. Zombie lacked discipline in his direction, as he tried to stuff every trick he could think of into the film and for me, it negated the intended effect of the film. Instead of coming off as disturbing, it was trite and amatuerish.

I did agree- he tried to many stunts, all jumbled together. It was a little too much and over the top most of the time. The movie never frightned me, or made me nervous or anxious, but it did disturb me quite a bit.

The bad news on releasing an "R" rated version, and a "Unrated" version, is that the "R" version is what the video chain stores will carry, and you'll only be able to buy the "Unrated" version. I want to see the Unrated version, but really don't see myself purchasing it.

=MATT=

plasticfetish
06-02-2003, 04:42 AM
Oh, how I love my wife.
She found me this site tonight ...
www.choptopsbbq.com (http://www.choptopsbbq.com)
It's Bill "Choptop" aka "Otis" Moseley's Web site.
How this one has gotten past me until now is a complete mystery.
Enjoy the musical offerings from his band "Cornbugs", with Bill singing and Buckethead on guitar.

scruffziller
06-02-2003, 08:44 AM
Wow that is a cool site!!!!!!!

DarthChuckMc
06-03-2003, 08:06 PM
This just in:

LIONS GATE FILMS TO SCARE UP SEQUEL TO HIT

HOUSE OF 1000 CORPSES

Rob Zombie Set to Write and Direct Follow Up to his Feature Film Debut

MARINA DEL REY, CA and VANCOUVER, BC, – Rob Zombie is set to write and direct a sequel to his highly successful horror film HOUSE OF 1000 CORPSES, for Lions Gate Films, the motion picture production and distribution arm of Lions Gate Entertainment (AMEX and TSX: LGF), it was announced today by Mike Paseornek, Lions Gate President of Production. The original film has grossed over $11 million at the domestic box office in its first month of release and has proven to be an extremely profitable acquisition for LGF.

The Firm’s Beau Flynn will to produce the sequel, along with Zombie’s long time manager Andy Gould also of The Firm which will be overseen by ( ) on behalf of the studio. The deal was negotiated by Peter Block, Jason Constantine and Tom Ortenberg on behalf of Lions Gate, and by Jeffrey Light on behalf of Zombie and Gould. The film is aiming for a fall start and an April 2004 release, to coincide with the one year anniversary of the original.

“With ’HOUSE OF 1000 CORPSES’ Rob Zombie has established himself as a filmmaker with a passionate artistic vision as well as an eye towards the pop culture zeitgeist, judging from the cult status the film is quickly achieving,” said Paseornek. Tom Ortenberg, President of Lions Gate Film Releasing added, “We felt Zombie had captured something distinctive with this picture, and we are thrilled that audiences have responded similarly. We are looking forward to releasing the next chapter in the series wide next April, which will be ideally positioned to outperform the original and hopefully will confirm it as a franchise for the company.”

“I knew Lions Gate was the perfect home for ‘HOUSE OF 1000 CORPSES’ based on their successful track record with controversial films and the success that they have with the CORPSES definitely proves that fact ,” said Zombie. “Their unrivaled marketing and distribution expertise has helped make my film debut a hit and I am dying to get back behind the camera to deliver a sequel which will blow away the original.”

plasticfetish
06-03-2003, 09:35 PM
Well there you go.
More Doctor Satan ... just what all the kids want.

2-1B
06-04-2003, 01:09 AM
And more Tiny I hope ! :D
And Baby . . . ooooooooooooooh Baby. ;)

Hey, I was checking out Bill Moseley's website last week, I love the theme of Choptop's BBQ. :crazed:
If all goes well, I'll be snagging an autograph from Bill next weekend at www.flashbackweekend.com . I hope it doesn't cost too much, I'd love to get signed pics of Otis AND Choptop. But if the price is high, well then I'll choose Otis . . . ;)

James Boba Fettfield
06-10-2003, 07:50 AM
Some disappointing news has come in via Mr. Disgusting who runs the bloody disgusting website:

There's no doubt in my mind that the House of 1000 Corpses DVD is going to be anything less than amazing, as a matter of fact, it'll probably be one of the best horror DVDs ever released. But the problem isn't with the disc, it with the fact that as of right now, the theatrical version is all we will be seeing. Hopefully some of the "surprises" on the DVD will include some deleted scenes...

Rob Zombies personal assistant writes me, "Here is the exact story on the DVD...

The DVD will be released Aug. 12th.
it is the theatrical version, there are no plans for any other version at this time.

They are still working on the extras, so far they will include:
Director commentary
Trailers
Cast interviews
Making of featurette
Behind the scenes still gallery
Music only track
...and some other really cool goodies that I am not allowed to mention right now.

I believe the action figures hit the stores around the same time as the DVD. I saw one of these they are pretty wicked."

And the confirmation has been hammered home by Horror DVDs website:

THE INFAMOUS THEATRICAL HIT!THE MOST SUCCESSFUL THEATRICAL HORROR FILM OF THE SEASON!!!

Rob Zombie’s masterful, menacing, dark and demented
HOUSE OF 1000 CORPSES

Comes to VHS & DVD August 12, 2003
From Lions Gate Home Entertainment

The Rock Master’s theatrical debut, Zombie’s DVD contains exciting shocking, explosive, sexual and horrific Special Features including Director’s Commentary and Behind The Scenes footage.

Marina Del Rey, CA, June XX, 2003 – The infamous and controversial HOUSE OF 1000 CORPSES, the first film from rock n’ roll legend Rob Zombie, will debut on Lions Gate Home Entertainment DVD and VHS on August 12, 2003 after amassing more than $12 million at the box office.

Marking his writing and directorial debut, Zombie created the film in the vein of the classic edge-of-your-seat horror flicks such as Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Last House on the Left. HOUSE OF 1000 CORPSES focuses on a foursome of college students who are unfortunate enough to run into a family of demented individuals in the backwoods of America. What they find is a gruesome house of terrors they could have never imagined.

DVD SPECIAL FEATURES (subject to change)
HOUSE OF 1000 CORPSES DVD is expected to include the following added-value elements:
Director Commentary
Trailers, including the Rob Zombie’s original trailer
Screen Tests
Still and FX gallery
Featurettes designed specifically for the DVD by Rob Zombie
Score Track

SYNOPSIS
Two young couples take a misguided tour onto the back roads of America in search of oddities and local legends. Their search leads them to Captain Spaulding’s (Sid Haig) rest stop where they learn the legend of Dr. Satan. Eager to learn more about the legend, they venture out into the darkness. When a flat tire strands them, they encounter a bizarre family of demented souls. Murder, cannibalism and satanic rituals are just a few of the 1000+ horrors that ensue.

HOUSE OF 1000 CORPSES
Street Date: August 12, 2003
Suggested Price: DVD - $26.99
Running Time: 88 minutes
MPAA Rating: Rated R for strong sadistic violence/gore, sexuality and language.

Back again with a little contradictory information:

MORE GORE TO COME ON CORPSES DVD

By Ryan Rotten
Contributing Sources:

Lions Gate has just issued an official press release regarding Rob Zombie's 'House of 1000 Corpses' on DVD which arrives August 12th. They're being very particular about not calling the release a director's cut per se, but we can certainly expect plenty of goodies - many of which you should already know about if you read the Corner every day.

As Zombie told us, he has provided a commentary. You can also expect: trailers, screen tests, a still and FX gallery, featurettes created by Zombie himself just for the DVD, and a separate score track. The Corner has also learned that Rob has designed the art for the tri-fold packaging, not surprising in the least. The man's a jack-of-all-trades.

What's all this talk of more gore on the disc? Well, let's hand it to someone over at the Gate to explain...

“We couldn’t be more excited with the success of HOUSE OF 1000 CORPSES.” noted Peter Block, Lions Gate President of Home Entertainment, Acquisitions, and New Media. “Lions Gate has a strong tradition with horror films which allowed us to see the genius in Rob’s work and was instrumental in our being a great partner for him. Some parts of this film are very graphic, too much so that we had to tone it down for the theatrical release. But in the DVD, it’s all here, just as Rob intended, in all its striking and vivid detail. HOUSE OF 1000 CORPSES is a true horror fan’s delight.”

That tells us everything but also tells us nothing. Will the excised footage be reinserted into the film or will they be a separate feature on the disc? Zombie has stated, many times, that he's pleased with the theatrical release...so who knows what we're going to get. Probably the latter.

Either way, we're getting stuff we've never seen before. Be happy.

That's from Creature Corner....ooo, wonder what is going on with this dvd?

plasticfetish
06-10-2003, 04:05 PM
My guess is that they don't even know for sure at this point. Probably trying to decide if they really want to edit together a longer version of this movie ... we'll know in 2 months I suppose. Either way it sounds good to me.

scruffziller
06-10-2003, 05:12 PM
Well maybe there will be a deleted scenes section that won't really complete the movie but at least it will in a way if we don't get the director's cut. Like they did with STAR TREK: TMP on DVD...........:frus:

plasticfetish
06-18-2003, 04:00 AM
Interesting interview with Rob Zombie ...

here (http://www.bullymag.com/6.1.03/zombie-060103.asp)

... he talks about the DVD and mentions "in the unrated version" as well as things being "explained in the sequel".

2-1B
06-21-2003, 04:29 AM
I got to talk with Bill Mosley a bit last weekend, he's a really cool guy in person. :) I complimented him by telling him about how I loved all of the goofy characters in Corpses EXCEPT for Otis because he's the one who I just really despised.
He told me he was glad to have that role because he usually gets to play humorous wackos (i.e. Chop Top).

I bought an 8x10 of Otis and Bill signed my name with "Run Rabbit Run" :D I didn't want to cough up the $$$ for a pic of Chop Top so I pointed to a little 3x5 shot of ChopTop sitting on Bill's table and asked how much he wanted for that. He signed it and tossed it in for free, I thought that was nice of him. :)

There were a bunch of 1000 Corpses fans there; Bill's table was BY FAR the busiest of all the celebs with the exception of Robert Englund (who only signed at scheduled times).

I asked him about the sequel, as far as he knows all of our favorite characters (including Captain Spaulding :) ) should be back ! ! !

plasticfetish
06-21-2003, 05:14 AM
That's great! It's great to hear that he's a cool guy too.

James Boba Fettfield
07-26-2003, 11:25 AM
If you guys head on over to http://www.joblo.com/index.php?id=2139 you'll get to read some good news on the sequel for the movie, the dvd, and a few other cool things Zombie is planning.

2-1B
08-10-2003, 12:27 AM
Get this: I headed down to Chicago for Wizard World today and after a half day of doing whatever, we roll past an aisle and who do I see at a table but SID HAIG aka CAPTAIN SPAULDING ! ! !
I got so excited because he was not on the guest list so it was a TOTAL surprise.

I'm telling you guys, he looked EXACTLY like Spaulding just without the makeup. He had those same chops on his face and I guess I just assumed it was a Spaulding thing . . . but nope, that's exactly how he looked! :D

He was a very nice man, I only talked to him for about 5 minutes but he said he will be in the sequel (which we knew) and I asked about these newly filmed menus for the DVD . . . he told me that if I liked the humor in the movie, I'll like the new footage because it's just him and a few others of the cast (I know Otis is there and probably Baby) anyway they are just goofing on each other or whatever. So it should be cool !

Am I the only one pumped for the DVD this Tuesday? :crazed:

Bill Moseley and Sid Haig within a 2 month period. LOL. :)

plasticfetish
08-10-2003, 05:50 AM
Wow. That's too cool ... what luck!

Am I the only one pumped for the DVD this Tuesday?
No, I'm pretty excited too. Can't wait to see what's been added or changed + the extras.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
08-10-2003, 09:09 PM
I was at wally world tonight browsing around for the Robin Hood 2 disc special edition and what do i see?! the House of 1000 corpses DVD!! I took a gander at it and all the negative reviews i've seen for it live up to it: there isn't much on this disc, a complete letdown in my opinion. I then told the electronics chick that this was out early and she thanked me and took them off the shelf. I was going to ask her #, but i have no b----, but that's another story. :D

talked to the guy in photo and he mentioned that Zombie is planning an nc-17 version in october. THAT might be worth checking out! :D

scruffziller
08-13-2003, 01:11 PM
I was at wally world tonight browsing around for the Robin Hood 2 disc special edition and what do i see?! the House of 1000 corpses DVD!! I took a gander at it and all the negative reviews i've seen for it live up to it: there isn't much on this disc, a complete letdown in my opinion. I then told the electronics chick that this was out early and she thanked me and took them off the shelf. I was going to ask her #, but i have no b----, but that's another story. :D

talked to the guy in photo and he mentioned that Zombie is planning an nc-17 version in october. THAT might be worth checking out! :D

Heck I was suprised to see the movie at WM period!!!!!!!:crazed:
Maybe they are starting to loosen up a little.:confused:

2-1B
08-13-2003, 01:13 PM
Hey Mikey, did Wal-Mart have the DVD in a keepcase or was it in a cardboard tri-fold? :confused:

I'm reading different reports online and I'm very big on the idea of buying the keepcase version - so Wal-Mart will likely get my business over Best Buy. :)

scruffziller
08-13-2003, 01:24 PM
Hey Mikey, did Wal-Mart have the DVD in a keepcase or was it in a cardboard tri-fold? :confused:

I'm reading different reports online and I'm very big on the idea of buying the keepcase version - so Wal-Mart will likely get my business over Best Buy. :)
Yep good ol' keepcase. No cheap cardboard.
I'd wait though till October to see if the NC-17 version is true.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
08-13-2003, 01:53 PM
Yeah, it was a keep case, Caesar, but nothing spectacular. It felt kinda flimsy.

On a side note, i went to wal-mart to check out the DVD just for kicks and it had been pulled. Go figure. Stupid Wal-Mart. :D

scruffziller
08-13-2003, 02:02 PM
On a side note, i went to wal-mart to check out the DVD just for kicks and it had been pulled. Go figure. Stupid Wal-Mart. :D
Are you sure it hadn't been sold out........:sur:.

plasticfetish
08-13-2003, 05:52 PM
I looked yesterday and my WM had none.

scruffziller
02-03-2004, 10:28 AM
Looks like we will be getting the Director's Cut eventually. They had a special midnight showing in theatres in Des Moines of the Director's Cut here sometime back.

James Boba Fettfield
02-03-2004, 10:40 AM
You should try sending that news to horror websites like creature-corner or bloody-disgusting to see if they can shed some more light on this. This is the first I heard of there even being a second cut of the film.

Rob has been insisting that what he got on dvd was it, but this would be great if they were showing a different cut!

scruffziller
02-03-2004, 12:11 PM
You should try sending that news to horror websites like creature-corner or bloody-disgusting to see if they can shed some more light on this. This is the first I heard of there even being a second cut of the film.

Rob has been insisting that what he got on dvd was it, but this would be great if they were showing a different cut!
There was no confirmation of a DVD but the showing of the DC gave me hope.
I'll have to see if I can find some news on it in the Des Moines register because they did advertise it on the radio.

James Boba Fettfield
02-03-2004, 07:24 PM
If there was a director's cut, it gives me hope, too. House 2 (my shortened version of the title, not to be confused with House 2: Second Story) is moving along well, so maybe around its theatrical or dvd release there will be a new House 1 dvd out that has the DC!

mrmiller
07-07-2004, 03:14 PM
Sorry to dig up such an old thread- but is there any more news on the Directors, or extended, cut of House of 1000 Corpses DVD? Last I heard there was rumor of one for a Summer release. Anything new or confirmed?

=MATT=

Hellboy
07-08-2004, 08:44 PM
Doubtful we'll see it anytime soon. I posted this in another thread but Rob stated in an interview that he wanted to incorporate the deleted scenes back into the actual movie rather than just an extra supplemental deleted scenes feature. This takes time and right now his primary focus is completing the sequel. After that is completed he said he would begin working on the HO1C Director's Cut.