PDA

View Full Version : What genre of Star Wars games do you prefer best?

Tycho
04-07-2003, 03:58 PM
There are a lot of titles out there, and a lot of different types of games for different platforms, including PC's, as well as console game systems.

What do you like best?

Tell us about your favorite Star Wars video games and why you like them.

James Boba Fettfield
04-07-2003, 05:08 PM
Simulation! TIE Fighter was the coolest Star Wars game I ever played.

Kidhuman
04-07-2003, 05:44 PM
I like the first person shooter games the best. I have played a few different Sw games and those are my faves. I don't like flight simulation games very much. I have played the SW twisted metal like game and that is decent. I am not much into the tournament fighting games much either. Has anyone played Bounty Hunter? What is that like?

James Boba Fettfield
04-07-2003, 05:46 PM
I loved Bounty Hunter. Great stuff, but the levels are always tests of how quick you can fire your blasters. If you like killing and killing and little to no thinking, Bounty Hunter is for you.

roguematt7
04-07-2003, 06:35 PM
Bounty Hunter is great, despite the reviews. The movie segments are really well done, and they got the real actors to play the parts (Jango and Zam, anyway). It fills in quite a bit of information on how he came into being the clone's genetic template, provided (of course) it can be considered cannon. I voted for the shooter games (which I guess if SOTE was part of, Bounty Hunter would fall under that category as well), though I've really enjoyed the Starfighter games as well, they fit nicely with both E1 and 2.

DarthChuckMc
04-07-2003, 07:32 PM
I voted Shooter. I'm just getting into Bounty Hunter, and so far it's a hoot. I'm still having trouble getting the hang of catching marked bounties. Any tips?

Maximillian Phokas
04-07-2003, 07:50 PM
It was a close call between Simulation and Shooter, as both have had some great games. Yet in the end, TIE Fighter, is still one of the best games ever developed, and I never get tired of playing it, so Simulation wins over.

Let me just say why Simulation, particularly TIE Fighter, wins:

1) You fly the ships, enough said

2) You fight for the Empire, and STAY with the Empire - no moral defecting to the Rebellion halfway in the game like Force Commander

3) It's so cool taking down a Mon Calimari or Star Destroyer

4) It actually makes the Empire seem like a force to be reckoned with!

The shooter games are also good. The entire Dark Forces series is still one of my favorites also, but after a while, the missions get repetitive, while TIE Fighter missions are always new and different everytime you play them.

Turbowars
04-07-2003, 07:54 PM
what catagory does Clone Wars and that pod racing game for PS2 fall in?

Maximillian Phokas
04-07-2003, 07:56 PM
i'm assuming podracing at least fall under "Simulation" since it's a piloting game

JediTricks
04-07-2003, 08:47 PM
I like shooters like the Dark Forces series of games and SOTE the best, Vehicle Sims being my next choice.

Darth Jax
04-07-2003, 09:11 PM
i enjoyed the classic atari games the best.

Turbowars
04-07-2003, 09:15 PM
Yeah 2600 ROCKED, but nothing beats RES Evil or Metal Gear. :)

lemleytwins
04-07-2003, 11:05 PM
It is a toss up for me between the shoot-em-up games like Jedi Knight and the Strategy games. However I would not choose your choice of strategy examples. Star Wars Rebelion is the most pathetic, piece of *(&(&* that they called a game. I almost quite buying Star Wars titles after robbed of $50 for that. But they redeemed themselves with Galactic Battlegrounds.

JediTricks
04-07-2003, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by Darth Jax
i enjoyed the classic atari games the best. Even that lame Jedi Arena game? :D

roguematt7
04-08-2003, 01:20 AM
What problems are you having with catching bounties, and which system are you playing it on? For PS2, press up on the D pad to do a quick change to the 1st person view and scan the area. Then change to the rope before you mark them, otherwise they know you're after them and will usually run. Quick change back to the helmet, mark them and collect. As for the intense moments of the game, I have no idea how to get the bounties any easier...

Quite-Gone Jim
04-08-2003, 07:28 AM
I voted strategy. These type of games seem to last the longest and provide the most challenge. I really like the shooter and action games, but once I figure them out they lose their appeal. However, I must say Rebellion has been the only really good Star Wars strategy game. Yes it has some problems and could be better, but it's the only strategy game where you can make strategic decisions. Battlegrounds allows you to make tactical decisions in a set strategic environment, but you can't control what's going to happen.

So Rebellion is my favorite game,
Jedi Knight II is number 2,
Jedi Knight is number 3,
Rogue Squadron is number 4 (I really wish RS2 would be made available for PC),
and Dark Forces is number 5.

I'd also like to see the company update some of the classic games with newer technology to take advantage of better 3-D rendering and video technology.

jpak001
04-08-2003, 09:36 AM
Shooters! Dig the shooters, the Dark Forces series is the BOMB!
Then again, first person shooters have always been my favorite type of games in any genre.

I would love to check out Bounty Hunter too, if only they would release it for the X-box........

bobafrett
04-08-2003, 10:47 AM
You might want to change the title of this poll. Add something along the lines of "What type of Star Wars PC games do you like?" because I stink so bad at pC games, that I don't even bother to play them. I have three Star Wars PC games sitting here, unopened. I prefer simple board games like SW battleship, or Life.

mtriv73
04-08-2003, 10:54 AM
We're way overdue for a new version of TIE Fighter and the x-wing games.

Imperial Loyalist
04-08-2003, 02:42 PM
Strategy - nothings better than subjugating an entire galaxy to do your will!

Although anything to do with Star Wars is usually pretty cool...except that Atari Hoth game which was a little like "Groundhog Day" because it was so damn repetitive...so damn repetitive.

Anyone remember that Atari Hoth game?

Kidhuman
04-08-2003, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by Imperial Loyalist

I do and I thought it was awesome. I dug out my atari 2600 games a few years back , cause my friend had an Atari with little games. We played that game for hours. The repeatitiveness(SP?) was the best part to me. I would love to play that game again.

plasticfetish
04-08-2003, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by Imperial Loyalist
Uh, yeah (I've got it right here) "Star Wars The Empire Strikes Back." Deffender with imperial walkers, what could be better?

My favorite is still the old "Star Wars" arcade game from Atari. Probably the first big vector graphics game that I played. That game lost me many many quarters.

Jordashebasics
04-08-2003, 06:55 PM
Rogue Squadron is good on N64, but I really don't care for the way the other similar games have been done...they don't look right.
But I love Galactic Battlegrounds/Clone Campaign.

Darth Jax
04-08-2003, 07:36 PM
glad to see i'm not the only one that still digs the simple yet elegant platform of the Atari 2600. ESB was very repetetive yet very simple. and come on swinging your lightsaber back and forth in jedi duel, how mind-numbing was that. they just don't make games like that anymore.

kool-aid killer
04-08-2003, 08:08 PM
I voted for action, like Rogue Squadron or whatever its called for Gamecube. I just like piloting the ships and popping on TIEs. I like shooters too, though. I liked the Star Wars games that super nintendo had but im usually pleased with whatever Star Wars games i get.

JediTricks
04-09-2003, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by plasticfetish
My favorite is still the old "Star Wars" arcade game from Atari. Probably the first big vector graphics game that I played. That game lost me many many quarters. That's my favorite too, neat look even if they were simple vector graphics, great control yoke, and cool straight-from-the-movie voice overs. Would that game be considered a sim? You don't really control where the X-wing is going except a little dodge in any direction.

plasticfetish
04-09-2003, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by JediTricks
Would that game be considered a sim?
Yeah, pretty much ... what was it, 3 parts? Fighting Tie-fighters, the towers and then the trench? I forgot about the voice over stuff ... "Use the Force Luke!" Ahhh, the memories ... I played that game every day after school for a year. I think there was a sit down version also ... I wonder if they have one of those over at the Disneyland arcade still.

HAM SOLO
04-09-2003, 11:57 AM
I don't have any pc games, so my opinions are on the "platform" games. My favorite is the game that came out for the playstation - phantom menace. It was based on the movie. I love that game. I bought the playstation just for that game. I love running around with the lightsaber and playing out the movie. Unfortunatly they haven't come out with sqat for the P2 - they are all flying games. At least x-box has the obi-wan game, I've almost been tempted to get the x-box just for that game! I wish the P2 would come out with a game based on attack of the clones - and not just the flying type! My 2 cents!

Lord Malakite
04-09-2003, 02:39 PM
Alright, another one of the video game threads we discussed. :)

This is a hard choice for me since I enjoy at least one SW game out of each of those categories, paricularily the action and simulation categories. In the end I went with simulation games.

Originally posted by turbowars
what catagory does Clone Wars and that pod racing game for PS2 fall in?

I would put Clone Wars in the "action" category since its similar to Rogue Squadron or Battle for Naboo and the pod racer game in the "other" category since it would be classified as a racer.

jrosen
04-09-2003, 08:47 PM
The best SW game by far was X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter multiplayer. I got into some awesome 4 on 4 matches. Put some astroids into the playing area load it up with tie interceptors and a-wings and watch the madness. I don't quite remember the single player missions, but the multiplayer was enough for me.

JediTricks
04-09-2003, 09:45 PM
PF, I think they have a stand-up, but no more sit-down version of it at Disneyland. I've considered buying either version from time to time, but whenever the opportunity arises, I don't have enough money. Besides the towers, there were also the ground-based turrets which could be considered another section, but basically you got them all. I loved shooting Vader's TIE over and over as it plummetted towards the Death Star for extra shields.

Originally posted by Lord_Malakite
the pod racer game in the "other" category since it would be classified as a racer. I have Podracer for N64 and it seems like a Sim to me. It is a racer, but it's not like that kooky kart racer, it moves like a simulated podracer and can even be converted to 2-stick controls.

plasticfetish
04-10-2003, 01:00 AM
So, I'm watching that "Starcade" gameshow on G4 TV this afternoon ... and one of the games they end up playing is Star Wars. Very nice.

Lord Malakite
04-10-2003, 01:59 AM
Originally posted by JediTricks
I have Podracer for N64 and it seems like a Sim to me. It is a racer, but it's not like that kooky kart racer, it moves like a simulated podracer and can even be converted to 2-stick controls.

True, but I'm basing my opinions on the basic definitions of what defines a Racing game from a Training Sim game.

Training Simulation
Games or programs which attempt to simulate a realistic situation, for the purpose of training, and usually the development of some physical skill such as steering (as in driving and flight simulators). This term should not be used for simulations which focus on management (see Management Simulation) or the employment of strategy (see Strategy). These games can range from realistic simulations used by institutions, such as those used to train astronauts, tank drivers, or airline pilots, to simplified gamelike approximations of them used mainly for entertainment, such as Police Trainer or A-10 Attack.

Racing
Games in which the objective involves the winning of a race, or the covering of more ground than an opponent (as in Slot Racers). Often these games involve driving skills and can also be cross-listed with Driving. One-player games can be considered Racing if there are other computer-controlled cars or vehicles competing on the race track, however if they are not competitive and act only as obstacles, use Driving.

James Boba Fettfield
04-10-2003, 06:23 PM
Ha ha, there he goes with his list of what makes a video game a certain type of video game again.