PDA

View Full Version : Padme and her HUGE wardrobe

Bothan187
11-16-2001, 03:02 AM
SO, I just saw the new trailer. I must say, I did not care for all of the love and crap that took place during that one. I understand that they have to go through that, but please, how many times will padme get dressed up?? Does she wear a new outfit every 5 min? Does she throw on a special outfit to visit the restroom? Is it just me, or does that get on anyone elses nerves? I like, maybe, 2, 3, or MAYBE 4 outfits. Not, 13! That which can be seen throughout the trailer. Great, 13 new padme figures. By the time Hasbro is done making her 100 different dresses, you will have to give devote an entire wall in your star wars collection to her dynasty alone. And what is up with the gay, dumb, and over-the-top outfits that she has. I will say, a lot of these are looking better then E1, but still, some are very bad and should be left on the concept drawing board. I love her outfit that she wears on tatooine, as she stands near Anakin, as he stairs with hate into the horizon. It was simple, that is why it works. George, stop making her into a GOD, she is a queen, but she has a life and that includes wearing normal clothes. Arhhhhhhhhhh! These movies could be so much better.

GNT
11-16-2001, 03:19 AM
I sence much fear in you - Yoda

Calm down if thats possible, so she has 21 different clothes :rolleyes: and changes every 2 minutes,she has to stay with the fashion you know! :D

StormieWee
11-16-2001, 04:33 AM
No matter how many gowns & dresses Padme is going to put on in AOTC, I still think she looks absolutely great in all of them.:)

She has indeed "grown" up to be more beautiful. ;)

JediTricks
11-16-2001, 07:32 AM
I gotta admit, I'm put off by how many wardrobe changes this character goes through both in E1 and now E2. None of the Classic Trilogy characters had this many wardrobe changes in all 3 classic trilogy movies combined! Wardrobe is great and fine and makes or breaks a character sometimes, but maybe that element isn't quite as important as THE MOVIE ITSELF! Frustrating. I mean, I believed Leia was a princess by just one ill-fitting white dress, does George think he cannot repeat that quality of characterization? Or are these types of trivial details that much more important to him now than they used to be?

JEDIpartner
11-16-2001, 08:43 AM
To Bothan187- Uhhh... I didn't notice anything "Gay" about her outfits... since she is a girl I think she has a right to wear these kinds of clothes. And speaking of being "Gay"- if she were, woudn't she be wearing more "Butch" outfits like Leia did?

In all actuality... how many things do you wear in a day? I have my work clothes and things I put on at the gym and then stuff to relax in when I get home. That's three sets of clothes for me in a typical weekday...

If you are that sad of an individual that you only wear one thing EVERY single day of the week I'd say you either have no life or any sense to dress for your appropriate setting... so enough with your ignorant slurs... choose your words a little more carefully the next time. BTW- did you get the idea that the word "Gay" offended me? It does because I know a lot of really nice gay people and oh, did you know that they are making the movies you enjoy so much???
==============================================
Also note that they are living in a different time. This is a time when the WHOLE galaxy isn't in turmoil and their economy hasn't completely been controlled by one superpower. I suppose if you have to compare things to real-life references... comapre the United States to Pre-1980s Russia/Eastern Europe. They didn't have all the luxuries that we had. Heck, we had more clothes than they did and I would bet that clothes and other items took a back seat to just trying to make sure they had food on their tables. We, on the other hand, had clothes, the lastest stereo equipment, the newest cars, vacations and weekends hanging out and spending our money. I think one could fairly equate these things to the way the galaxy was before and after the Empire came into being.

Furthermore... look at what is happening overseas as we sit here in our free counrty. People are being liberated and are able to watch TV and listen to the radio and play music again... things we take for granted. Maybe these are the types of things the pre-Imperial galaxy took for granted and we are just asked to figure this out on our own without GL putting it up in the opening crawl.

bigbarada
11-16-2001, 09:19 AM
Not to gang up on Bothan187, but JEDIPartner is right. It's a far different culture than OT Alderaan, and why would Leia be changing her clothes constantly in the middle of a war?

And I think we've covered why "gay" shouldn't be used as a slur against something you don't like. That's just bigotry. So I think you should use a little more intelligence and discretion when choosing your insults. I'm willing to assume you're much smarter than that.

Not being a completist when it comes to action figures, I have no problem with Padme changing her outfit every few minutes. Besides it's not like Hasbro will ever make them all into toys anyway.

I'll stress that this post isn't meant as anything personal against Bothan187.

Obi-Don
11-16-2001, 09:51 AM
I think she wear less like the slave outfit Leia had on in ROTJ.:D ;)

Tycho
11-16-2001, 10:20 AM
I like ALL of Padme's wardrobe changes and hope they make action figures and 12" of every one of them (except the cargo freighter where she looks like a Desert Sniper from GI Joe).

I think the rich costumes add an elegance to the look of these films and DO distinguish the pre- and post-Empire eras in fashion and look, like other people intelligently posted.

However, with regards to the classic trilogy, it does explain something: after Padme was done, there was no material left in the entire galaxy to make Han a new change of clothes...

Co Jo-Da
11-16-2001, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by Obi-Don

That would be cool but not ga happen.

master jedi
11-16-2001, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by Obi-Don
This would greatly increase the popularity of STar Wars IMO.

HOw many costumes do you think she is going to wear in AOTC? It seems like she's going to be changing every 2 minutes.

Co Jo-Da
11-16-2001, 04:05 PM
Like she didn't have a different one in every scene of TPM...:D

derek
11-16-2001, 07:35 PM
leia only had one outfit in episode 4 because she was a prisoner for half the film:), and they were on a tighter budget.

of course if episode 4 was made today, leia would of had her capture outfit, her torture outfit, her"please don't blow up alderan outfit", her garbage compactor outfit, her "you came here in that thing outfit", her good luck kiss to luke outfit, and her ceremony outfit.:)

bothan,

you don't have to buy all the padme figures, and , if the episode 1 figure line is any indication, they all won't be made anyway. we still have not gotten padme in her hand maiden outfit, which could also double for the other handmaidens.:)

Jargo
11-16-2001, 09:08 PM
Hmmm, well as it took so long to download the trailer I scrutinised every last frame as it loaded. I counted ten- yes ten outfits. Most of them very feminine and much more adult and suited to Miss Portmans physique than the EP1 costumes which were for her royal standing anyway. She is no longer playing a queen she is a senator with more freedom and less restrictions on her movements etc. Thus her wardrobe changes subtley to allow her to appear softer and more grown up.
Most of the outfits arestunning in one way or another. Simple lines and added frills and lace and things that defy description.....
The golden freighter outfit is awful but she is travelling to safety from an unknown attacker at that point so I hardly think she wants to look attractive and bring attention to herself.
The lakeside outfit is the most soft and ice cream like outfit. It shows her softening in Anakins company, barriers are dropped and Anakin has a chance to see the real padme for once. It's by no means as bad as the EP1 peace ceremony dress.
The beehive african inspired outfit from her apartment and Palpatines office is the nicest so far,with a quaint nod to Audrey hepburn I think.
The Heidi look in her apartment is also quite nice. Tidy and smart and business like. Sort of school teacher-ish. Sort of senatorial...
But the tight blue thing...? Oh george, what were you thinking?! Bad bad bad! Quick, call for a reshoot! Dear god!

The Tatooine outfit from the homestead is practical for indoors wear but not so good for desert travelling I think. They just wanted an exscuse to get her to show some skin.

The Buck Rogers 'Wilma' outfit from the Geonosis arena is gonna be the next favourite I think. Skin tight catsuit, boots, hair scraped back...

Oh yeah, the costumes are justified given that she has different wardrobes on different planets to suit different occasions as any senator would if they visited so many locations in their line of work. Go and ask Madelaine albright if she only has one suit she wears all the time to her meetings with foreign officials. I think she'd put you straight on why ambassadors for places need so many clothes.

But at the end of the day, I don't find the filling of the costumes at all alluring. She seems immature and underconfident. nervous of the love scenes. She still has that horrid gravelly growl in the back of her throat that has me reaching for the mute button on my VCR when I watch EP1. She still looks like a potato to me and nothing, no costume or make-up or acting coach will ever make me feel that this female is attractive in the slightest. But I will give her credit for actually improving slightly in the acting department. She can now do two different looks instead of just the one - Stern, vacuous and dopeydoe eyed bint. Congratulations Natalie, well done that potato...!

mrhat
11-16-2001, 10:01 PM
Okay if you counted 10 outfits in the trailer alone which is 130 seconds long, aproximetly a new out fit every 13 seconds, that mustve been boring during shooting ;) I agree howeverm her elaborite make her stand out and shows her touch of class and her importance in the movie. i like the white outfits in the trailer, skin-tight catsuits (which do get torn up by the way) and a belly showin valley girl shirt. her dresses with the hair things are kind of distracting at times, it looks to me that she will be the main focus of the film, and i guess the outfits reflect that. now the only thing we need is a "amidala as Jabbas Prisoner" hey we can dream cant we? oh and on the catsuit one, where does her lightsaber hang off of? sorry if i spoiled you, but one of those select things showed it.

Anywho, i think this movie is going to be scandelous!

stillakid
11-16-2001, 10:19 PM
Maybe GL went to see a Stevie Nicks concert before sitting down to pen the story...

bigbarada
11-16-2001, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by EMPEROR JARGO

But the tight blue thing...? Oh george, what were you thinking?! Bad bad bad! Quick, call for a reshoot! Dear god!

Are you talking about this suit? It's probably one of my favorites thus far!!

derek
11-16-2001, 11:59 PM
i know we debated the subject of her looks endlessly, and i don't want to rehash it, but i don't understand how anyone can think natalie's ugly. i'm nuts for her, but even i'll admit there are women who are much prettier. in the grand scale of ugly vs. beauty, i could understand if she wasn't ranked a perfect 10, but she's no where near unattractive. janet reno or madeline albright is my definition of unattractive.:)

JediTricks
11-17-2001, 01:44 AM
Jargo, I counted 13 just now! THIRTEEN! That's more in just this trailer than all of Ep 1!!!

the "african" senator outfit
the "dominatrix" outfit seen in front of the fireplace
the dark blue "Ep 1 Padme Tatooine" outfit
Jargo's least-favorite, the light blue wrinkly number with the giant headband
the dark & light gray renaissance dress with the leia-esque hair disks
the light-gray hooded thing in the rikshaw
the orange-netting hooded number
the white/pink italian-style number used in the "walking around Naboo making out with Ani" scenes
the simple dress in the Naboo field
the orange/purple "skipping town with Ani" dress with the metal headdress
the blue/pattern dress in the Lars' homestead that looks like a cheap '60s bedspread
the "Colonel Wilma" white bodysuit
the off-white "wrap" top that shows off Padme's stomach

Yowza, 'atsa lotta outfits for a 2 minute trailer! And I know for a fact that there's at least one more, did Lucas decide to simply make Episode II a Milan fashion show?!?

snakeplkn
11-17-2001, 09:25 AM
After watching Episode I, my girlfriend pointed out how ridiculous it was how many times Amidala switched clothes. No wonder Naboo lost the invasion of the Trade Federation. But this clothes swapping has got out hand in Episode II. Looking at Jeditrick’s numbering system…

Number 5 and 7 are awful. I personally call 5 “Triangle Head.” 7 looks like some fire ants established a mound on top of her hair. You can’t go wrong with 8 however, how can Anakin resist Padme among such scenery? And about 2, in the words of Miles Lane, “Let’s get it on!”

Rachman KOs Lewis in the 9th round …

Snake Plissken
“A little human compassion”

Jargo
11-17-2001, 09:42 AM
Thirteen costumes huh? And poor old Hayden is the star but only gets two costume changes and a damn silly poncho as an accessory! :rolleyes:
Originally posted by derek
i know we debated the subject of her looks endlessly, and i don't want to rehash it, but i don't understand how anyone can think natalie's ugly. i'm nuts for her, but even i'll admit there are women who are much prettier. in the grand scale of ugly vs. beauty, i could understand if she wasn't ranked a perfect 10, but she's no where near unattractive. janet reno or madeline albright is my definition of unattractive.:) HEEHEE!:stupid: I wasn't implying that madelaine Albright was more attractive silly! I was just saying that as an ambassador to the Naboo she needed to have many outfits to maintain her image as an official representative. Perhaps Princess Diana would have made a better analogy with her many outfits for many occasions.
Each outfit has subtle significances depending on what she (padme) is being called upon to do. Senate dealings require more mature sombre business-like outfits and casual meetings in her chambers or on Naboo require softer looking outfits. It's all horses for courses really.

I know I nearly started this potato thing again but I really don't find her attractive. She looks pudgey and unfinished. It's really the make-up department who make her look anything like the attractive woman she plays. the best she looks is in the Tatooine scenes and the Palpatines office scene. She seems relaxed and more comfortable in those scenes and it shows in her face. The more awkward the outfit the more awkward she appears. But my main quibble is that she isn't old enough to play Padme. She can't portray that which she does not know. She isn't mature enough to play the mature character she is portraying. She's still just a girl trying to play a woman. A brave attempt I'll admit but it sinply doesn't feel right or look right.

I'm not going to get aggresive on this or debate endlessly but While I'll accept that she has a big following and can understand why, I don't subscribe to those views of her. Yes, she's photogenic. As is Hayden. I sinply don't find either to be attractive in an aesthetic sense.

Most models are unattractive in the flesh but a camera makes them into something because they are photogenic. It's a quirk of nature but ask any photographer and they'll say the same. beautiful people are crap on camera. Plain and dull people look best.:kiss:

This is getting muddy so I'll stop before I confuse everyone including myself. Top and bottom of it Derek, hatchet buried. This will always be just adifference of opinion and taste. ;)

derek
11-17-2001, 10:12 AM
i understand your point of view, but as a reference point for me, what known individuals do you find attractive, male or female. (i don't mean sexually). as a hetrosexual male, i can say with no hesitation that hayden is very attractive, in my opinion. if i was a female, i'd want someone like him, and as a male, i wouldn't mind looking like him.

Jargo
11-17-2001, 01:06 PM
Well, for what it's worth I'm glad Leo DiCaprio didn't get the part of Anakin for he is the ultimate potato faced actor! But as for who turns my custard in the attractiveness stakes, that depends...

I don't think anyone could dispute the fact that in the pretty stakes brad Pitt has got more than his fair share of looks but appears to be turning into Robert redford of late....

Natalie Imbruglia is my hot ticket. A long time since I saw her act but she is a hot mama.

Freddy Prinz Jr. is an admirably good looking guy.

Francesca Annis is my number one older woman (she was jessica in David Lynch's Dune ) she has style and class in abundance.

Matt dillon has magnetic presence whatever he does. He's actually got better with age.

Holly hunter is a little strange at times but very very attractive. MMM MMM MMM!

These are all straight off the top of my head you understand. I could come back later with a more considered list after thinking for a while. With so many public personalities out there my mind is so full of faces it's hard to just pick a handful in a few seconds. I've tried to be as broad in my selections as I can. Hope it helps to clear things up or are you just going to use it as ammunition?

derek
11-17-2001, 01:53 PM
since you burried the hatchet, i'll "put my guns in the ground, i don't nee them anymore":)

i can agree with your opinions of mr pitt, natalie imbruliga, and matt dillon. holly hunter is a nice looking woman, though not my first choice. and prinze, jr. has that annoying pretty boy look to him, but maybe i'm biased because of the horrible "wing commander" film(possibly the worst movie ever made).

as a side note, here in the U.S., we only know natalie Imbruligia as a one hit wonder for her song,"torn", though i agree, she is very pretty. i recall staring at her album cover. possibly the prettiest eyes i've ever seen. and those lips...:D

stillakid
11-17-2001, 08:29 PM

Most models are unattractive in the flesh but a camera makes them into something because they are photogenic. It's a quirk of nature but ask any photographer and they'll say the same. beautiful people are crap on camera. Plain and dull people look best.:kiss:

As a photographic professional, I'd like to say that the above statement is not necessarily true, though I've heard that rumor before. In most cases, beautiful people look equally good if not better through the lens. In most cases, the camera really does reflect reality. Careful makeup and lighting will make anyone appear to be better than they really are but an plain and dull face, in most cases, comes across as a plain and dull face.

Having said that, there are occasional instances, yet to be adequately explained, when a somewhat attractive woman in person, absolutely becomes stunningly photogenic when viewed through an eyepiece. It does happen, but not often. This is the exception.

If you don't like Natalie Portman to begin with, you're never going to like her on film. Though most of humanity seems to be in the other camp.

Jargo
11-17-2001, 08:50 PM
Speakingof attractive and unattractive, and of course clothing, Sam Jackson was a talk show here tonight and he was wearing his Kilt. A genuine scottish clan tartan kilt of the most hideous colour scheme that looked like a Jean paul Gaultier number from a few years back when kilts were the in thing. fortunately Sam is cool in whatever he wears so he managed to redeem the fashion faux pas.
He confirmed yet again that his saber will indeed be purple. And that he had done a lot of solo filming with George on total greenscreen stages. Filming the arena sequences. he talked of the arena creatures which were about as big as a utility truck he said but that there were bigger ones. he went on to describe his twirling and jumping around as he imagined the creatures attacking him and said he loved it all and felt like a big kid doing his scenes. he likened his experience to being a kid on the playground. He used the term 'synthespians' to describe creations like jar Jar but insisted, when asked if george would replace real actors eventually, that he would definately always need real actors. Even down to providing the voices for the 'synthespians'.

Don't ask me why I posted this here in this thread but as it's a popular one right now, why not eh?
back to the subject: Beauty is a peculiar thing and very hard to pin down to just a few characteristics but the one thing that is certain in everybody is that it's easy to declare what you don't like while being unable to decide what you do like. I talk of course of the notion of perfection. Stand in a room full of models and you soon start to dismiss each one as imperfect in some way. A hundred people will not give you the perfect face or body. Sure there will be attractive people but never the perfect one. Such a thing does not exist exept in the mind of the individual observer.
"one mans meat is another mans poison"

I'm wandering again aren't I? Sorry. I'll take these musings elsewhere and leave this thread alone

GNT
11-17-2001, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by derek
leia only had one outfit in episode 4 because she was a prisoner for half the film:)

She had two outfits her white one used in most of the film and her ceremony outfit from the end of the film :)

Co Jo-Da
11-18-2001, 01:33 AM
I liked her huge wardrobe in Episode I but I like the ones I've seen so far for Episode II much more... My favorate one so far is this Africa-styled one...

http://cgi.theforce.net/theforce/image.cgi?Image=episode2/newspics/forbidden/23.jpg

Bothan187
11-18-2001, 05:06 AM
Hey all, I haven't been able to check back and read your replies to what I started here, but I guess I must have hurt some feelings with my use of the word "gay" Sorry about that. I use that term when I'm angry. I had just seen that trailer, and I hate having to see her in so many outfits. Hey, I think she is kind of hot and all, but she is not that great. (but she is not that bad either) Anyway, she doesn't need 13 outfits. I'm sorry, you can tell me off and tell me that this has to do with economy BS, but really, star wars is supposed to be fun. Yes, FUN! That is what made the originals work so well. My God, some of you want to make Star Wars into a religion or perhaps you wish to form a cult instead. All im saying, is that lighten up a little. You read into this to much. Ok, Naboo has money. Padme is a Queen, or was, and had money to spend. But, we don't need to see her in so many outfits. All that does is distract from the screenplay. Don't you people want to start a bond with these characters? Well, it's hard to get use to something that is changing every time they go off screen. Really, who likes to see her in all these outfits? I CANNOT understand why you would. She should have, 4, that's it. Well, like what you may, but I tell you, these movies could have been so much better. And also, her smile is sometimes revolting.

stillakid
11-18-2001, 09:45 PM
Bothan, clearly some people here are hell-bent on ending any negative posts about Star Wars and need to lighten up. Hold on to your opinion. It's as valid as the next guys.

For what it's worth, I don't see the story-necessity for the constant warddrobe changes either, but whatever. If that was the biggest problem with the new trilogy then we'd all be in good shape.

derek
11-19-2001, 07:49 AM
we're all assuming this film will take place over a short period of time as the other films did, but what if lucas stretches this one out for six months or longer? wouldn't it be logical that padme would change her clothes often? the jedi on the other hand are different. mace and ki-adi-mundi have not changed clothes in 10 years.

but i don't understand your frustration here. hasbro won't make all these outfits, and you don't have to buy them all anyway. the number of outfits padme wears is the least of my concerns. way behind a good story, acting, and saber fighting.

Tycho
11-19-2001, 08:11 AM
Jedi Tricks, I can't picture #'s 10 and 11 on your list.

I like her outfits so much though, I went from wanting Jango or Obi-Wan to be my first figure I get, to just having a whole wave with 9 or 10 new Padme's - and her remaining outfits from Episode One, shortly following (Ceremony, Pre-Senate, Post Senate, Purple Return to Naboo, and Handmaiden Orange).

All of the sudden I turned fashion doll collector - and only for Padme. I want all these in 12" scale too!

You see, Jedi just wear brown robes, clones wear body armor, and Jango has a different paint job on the Mandalorian gear.

Padme in all her outfits, we'll really liven the line and make it colorful!

I remember when I was a kid, the 12-backs were all black, white, and brown (the exception being Threepio). When the cantina wave came out (vintage), though they were not accurate, I "ooohed and ahhhed" the colorful action figures!

EVERYONE FORGOT ONE OF PADME'S OUTFITS:

In the mystery trailer, Padme is in Naboo fighter pilot gear, as she flew an N-1 to Coruscant, since she obviously can't be on the Senator's Starship that we see get bombed. (The scene where Captain Typho covers her, and R2D2 gets hit and catches fire). "It was just before dawn. They came out of nowhere," though Cliegg's narrator voice is referring to the Tusken attack back on Tatooine.

Finally, Leia's wardrobe was destroyed with Alderaan. She may have had some things on Yavin (the ceremony dress), but she wore a military uniform the rest of the movies (Hoth and Endor) except when 1) Lando got her new clothes, 2) she had to disguise herself as a bounty hunter to save Han, 3) Jabba altered her wardrobe (and nicely done), and 4) a Wokling spit up on her general uniform, so she needed to put something on while Chief Chirpa's wife washed Leia's clothes.

The distinction was that after Alderaan, Leia no longer considered herself much of a Princess (of an asteroid field?) She retained her title, but thought of herself as a ground troop commander.

JEDIpartner
11-19-2001, 09:39 AM
Well, for what it's worth I'm glad Leo DiCaprio didn't get the part of Anakin for he is the ultimate potato faced actor! But as for who turns my custard in the attractiveness stakes, that depends...

Leo's not a "potato face"... he looks more like THIS (in the download)...

Co Jo-Da
11-19-2001, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by JEDIpartnr
Leo's not a "potato face"... he looks more like THIS (in the download)...

Man thats a good one...:p :D

Bothan187
11-19-2001, 09:09 PM
you people must be brain washed if you want to buy all of these padme figures. And also, this movie isn't going to be over a 6 month period. From everything that we know that happens in the movie, how and why would a time space, besides maybe one large gap somewhere in the movie, would 13 outfits be needed. I can just see it now, with fades every 10 min, "a week later" That isn't George's style, you should know that by now derek.

bigbarada
11-19-2001, 09:35 PM
Don't worry Bothan187, they're not brainwashed they're completists. Try not to stare.:D

Jedi Clint
11-19-2001, 09:43 PM
Bothan,

It seems you are forgetting that your negative opinion of Padme's extensive wardrobe is exactly that......an opinion. No one has to be brain washed to enjoy each and every one of the outfits seen in the preview. And as it is a matter of opinion, we shall respect the opinions of others.

Bothan187
11-20-2001, 12:23 AM
Sorry, oh great jedi clint. I have much to learn about respecting peoples desires to crave everything that GL pumps out. please, forgive me.

JediTricks
11-20-2001, 09:19 AM
Tycho, were you one of those little kids who played with Barbie dolls instead of GI Joe? ;)

I decribed the scenes for those 2, but I guess I'll have to supply screen-caps. See attached.

Tycho
11-20-2001, 09:35 AM
Thanks for just the pictures, and not the commentary JT. Yeah, these are not two of the outfits I cared for that much. The Tatooine one is a little better than the other ones, but these are almost last in line in terms of favorites for me.

As for playing with Barbie? Well in this world where it's now politically correct to be a well-adjusted homosexual, isnt' it ok to be a heterosexual who plays with Barbies?

I mean look what you can do if you want a :

12" Custom Mara Jade (http://www.rebelscum.com/photo.asp?image=toys/kpmarajade1.jpg)

bigbarada
11-20-2001, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by Bothan187
Sorry, oh great jedi clint. I have much to learn about respecting peoples desires to crave everything that GL pumps out. please, forgive me.

Somehow this reply seems to be just dripping with sarcasm.:p

derek
11-20-2001, 07:17 PM
in regard to the above photos you posted, i reference the one on the left. in that scene in the trailer, is it just me or do anakin and padme look really mad at each other, like they've been fighting?
both have the "stone"face going.

Jargo
11-20-2001, 10:33 PM
I'm just a big hippy at heart so I like that tatooine outfit. I actually think her hair is really flatteringly done *gasps from everyone..* The naboo outfit is very art nouveau to me. Nice design but it doesn't really work. i guess there's echoes in this movie of some kind of Agatha Christie whodunnit type story and GL is just nodding to those times when stories and films actually had plot and character and ACTING! But the colour is a bit pukey on the Naboo outfit kinda greeny baby puke. Should be one of the first Hasbro makes then they love peuce colours cuz they prefer to make everything out of brown plastic *harumphs quietly* I'll but some of these if they make it to toy level, just for the sake of having a nice design on a figure or a female figure in a sea of aliens, jedi and pilots. Just wish we got more background females made into little 4" 'dollies'.

As to grown men playing with Barbie dolls, I ws known as a kid to play with the odd barbie doll. part of my play involved smashing the heads off them on the corner of our house then burying them in the waste area of the garden. God alone knows why I smashed them up, all I know is that it left me feeling very satisfied........ "You want me to tell you about my Mother?" :p

Tycho
11-21-2001, 05:50 AM
OK Bladerunner, let the truth be known.

Derek, I can't tell if they're ticked off at each other or smirking because they're getting away with eloping. This scene could be when they first return to Naboo, too. Before Padme's softened to Anakin's advances. Remember, before they left Coruscant, she told him to stop staring at her. Now she got stuck on a cargo ship with him for heck knows how many hours? I'm sure she got along with him during some of the flight, as we saw in the teaser "Are you allowed to love?" but she also might welcome a chance to be rid of him. Assassins might be more welcome than his constant advances.

Jargo, I actually played with Barbies, too. With my Han Solo vintage 12" back in the day, I would want to play with some of the girls I grew up with on my street. They had their Barbies and I had my Star Wars figures. So my grandma sewed me Hawaiian swim trunks for my 12" Han Solo, so he could go swimming at Barbie's Dream House. Swimming led to skinny dipping, and Han got on Barbie, Teresa, and maybe even little Kelly (Barbie's daughter)! It was an early version of Jerry Springer in a galaxy far, far away. Now skinny dipping dolls 'playing house' led from one thing to another, and I REALLY liked playing with the girls my age that lived on my street. One is a life-long friend and a former cheerleader for UCLA. I'll see her when I go home for Thanksgiving this week and I'll be sure to ask if her Barbie is still armed to the teeth.

I hope we're not done 'playing house,' if you know what I mean, but when I left back in the day, Barbie's Dream House had an ion cannon and the princess wore Wookiee scalps and 'carried heat.'
Even at garage sales in those days, with GI Joe accessories or whatever, you could find ways to build an arsenol for Barbie!

More girls than guys play with 12" dolls, but I taught a few girls how to play with them right!

Co Jo-Da
11-21-2001, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by Tycho
As for playing with Barbie? Well in this world where it's now politically correct to be a well-adjusted homosexual, isnt' it ok to be a heterosexual who plays with Barbies?

12" Custom Mara Jade (http://www.rebelscum.com/photo.asp?image=toys/kpmarajade1.jpg)

I love cool figures like that, does this make...

I didn't think so...

stillakid
11-21-2001, 11:03 AM
Thanks for just the pictures, and not the commentary JT. Yeah, these are not two of the outfits I cared for that much. The Tatooine one is a little better than the other ones, but these are almost last in line in terms of favorites for me.

Where can one obtain a copy of the custom Mara Jade? That is very cool.

Tycho
11-21-2001, 11:21 AM
The Mara Jade figure was made by Keith Paquette and I found it cybersurfing.

He used "Blaze" from the CyGirls' toy line, and looks like he bought some others for accessories, adding a Luke Skywalker lightsaber that the Jedi Master gave his wife.

Go to www.smallblueplanet.com (http://www.smallblueplanet.com) and in the search box type "Cy Girls" and the whole catalog of chic spy dolls comes up.

Blaze is useful for MARA JADE.

GURI can be derived from "Kat."

and JAINA SOLO can be made easily from "A.J."

MIRAX HORN might be able to be made from "Jet," but it's a stretch.

Other outfits and appropriate accessories are obviously needed in addition to these figures, but if you have the 100th 12" Anniversary Luke Skywalker and want to display him on Tatooine, the X-wing flight suit on "A.J." could make a great start on the adult JAINA SOLO (however, I'd use those clear twistie things that hold your POTJ figures' weapons in their hands to tighten Jaina's flight suit and make it fit her as well as look feminine, -versus sewing, altering or ruining Luke's flight suit for a custom).

GNT
11-22-2001, 01:51 AM
Originally posted by bigbarada
Don't worry Bothan187, they're not brainwashed they're completists. Try not to stare.:D

They have it hard :( Geez even if they made all of her outfits inyo action figures just image all those resculpts of her in her white uniform! :( :eek:

JediTricks
11-24-2001, 05:50 AM
Tycho, did I say it wasn't ok to play with Barbies? NO! I just asked if you were one of those kids, you inserted the inference of sexual preference and social acceptability (though to be fair, the social acceptability of little boys playing with Barbies in the late '70s and early '80s - the time you grew up - was virtually nonexistant). My comment was simply that you bought all the 12" Ep 1 Barbie-style Padme/Amidala dolls and you want more from Ep 2 - hence, the Barbie reference.

As for that so-called custom 12" Mara, that thing isn't that creative, it's just a figure from the BBi line of 12" Cy-girls (http://www.figures.com/Features/index.html?show_article=15272&domain=figures.com&dom=fig&domain_id=4) with a bit more standard gear (shoulder harness, elbow and knee pads), a black tank top, and a lightsaber. The face is way wrong from all the previous incarnations I've seen of Mara, but at least this hairstyle doesn't show off the figure's silver earrings.

Derek, I see what you're saying, but I think it's supposed to be worry and concern over a clandestine departure.

Jargo, do they have Freudian specialists in the UK? While I don't subscribe to most of the Freudian school of psychology, you may want to go anyway. ;) At least you didn't melt them! :crazed:

Jargo
11-24-2001, 02:10 PM
No I never melted a Barbie doll but I did melt an Action Man. he was the ritual sacrifice of another german officer Action man because his fingers had perished and dropped off. (this was back when they had rubber 'gripping hands!' ) I used to shave the heads of the Barbie dolls and then smash them off. Don't know why and yes, I'm sure there probably is a Freudian explanation more hidious than I care to think about But all i knew as a kid was that it sure felt good destroying my sister's dollies! :p :D :crazed:

Frankly though, these Amidala dolls don't inspire me to destroy... Although melting sounds like F.U.N.!!!!!!!! :D :eek: :stupid:

Tycho
11-24-2001, 03:33 PM
That's what Maul and JarJar figures on clearance are for.

GNT
11-25-2001, 12:22 AM
That's what Maul and JarJar figures on clearance are for.

What would you do with a Black and Cream/Pink blob of melted plastic? :rolleyes:

stillakid
11-25-2001, 09:53 AM
Divide them into a billion pieces and use them for Midichlorians.:rolleyes:

Tycho
11-25-2001, 10:40 AM
There you go. Shouldn't we start a new thread:

"What would you do with a Black and Cream/pink glob of melted plastic?"

I can see a whole new discussion starting now ; )

Stillakid has the right idea!

Jargo
11-25-2001, 01:56 PM
how about a different thread - 'ways to dispose of a Padme Amidala 12" doll...' That sounds like fun. I vote for a firework down the neck cavity or maybe a firecracker tied to her butt. "dance you little wich dance!" :D :crazed:

Co Jo-Da
11-26-2001, 12:38 AM
How's about SCEINCE... The effects of gravity on a 3 3/4 figure. I'll personally donate my JAR JAR BINK's collection. Any takers...Anyone???

JediTricks
11-26-2001, 01:03 AM
You guys are so immature... You take the scalding hot melted pink and orange plastic and you pour it over Rick McCallum's flesh! I mean DUH! C'mon, that's just so OBVIOUS! :evil:

GNT
11-26-2001, 02:44 AM
Originally posted by Co Jo-Da
How's about SCEINCE... The effects of gravity on a 3 3/4 figure. I'll personally donate my JAR JAR BINK's collection. Any takers...Anyone???

I'll gladly take your Naboo Swamp Jar Jar Binks figure :)