PDA

View Full Version : My patience pays off (The Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves thread)

Eternal Padawan
04-08-2003, 03:25 PM
So way back in the day, DVDs in their quaint old fashioned way could only hold so much on a disc and any film longer than 2 hours needed to be FLIPPED halfway thru. Robin Hood: Prince of Theives was one such disc (we affectionately referred to them as flippers) that I purchased only to discover my lazy butt needed to find its way off the sofa and over to the DVD player in order to continue watching the film. Needless to say, this didn't sit well with me and I returned the disc, vowing to never purchase another flipper. But there was a snag. I was now without this cherished classic from my tween years in my expanding DVD collection. I patiently waited for Warner Bros to rerelease it without that annoying flipper feature, but the days grew longer and longer and I was beginning to lose hope ( much like I hoped in vain TRU would get huge quantities of TC-14s and R2-B1s and never did).

But now at last, after six long years, Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves is coming out on June 10th! Hooray! A super nifty double disc with all sorts of commentaries and stuff! Sadly, Kevin Reynolds and Kevin Costner did not sit in a room together and record a commentary (I would love to hear one on this and one on Waterworld!) but this is still a long awaited gem!

No all I need are nifty discs of The Game (Hello Criterion? Are you listening?), Trainspotting, and the extended Waterworld and I'll be set.

Anyway, let's discuss the Robin Hood: POT shall we?
Like it?
Love it?
Hate it?
Did you even see it?

Kidhuman
04-08-2003, 03:44 PM
I thought that was an awesome movie. I saw it in theatres three times. I am glad that it is coming to DVD. That is definitely one movie that is a must own.

LTBasker
04-08-2003, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by Eternal Padawan
Anyway, let's discuss the Robin Hood: POT shall we?
Like it?
Love it?
Hate it?
Did you even see it?

1. Yep
2. Yep
3. Nope
4. Must have

Robin Hood is probably the only reason why I ever knew who Kevin Costner was, and that led onto seeing his other good films. :cool: I still enjoy the movie quite a bit, and still have some of the figures, I think I'll have to pick up this DVD, sounds good. Too bad it doesn't come with Robin Hood: Men In Tights as a bonus. ;)

Mandalorian Candidat
04-08-2003, 04:06 PM
I thought RH:POF was a decent flick. I was out of the country when it came out but I heard it was a big deal. It's a good popcorn flick, but that's about it for me. I have no desire to own it on DVD or listen to the commentary; it's just not my thing. But hey, enjoy it if you like Costner.

JediTricks
04-09-2003, 02:36 AM
I really like this movie, I saw it in theaters too. This is one of the few solid action flicks from the '90s that I like. I'm glad you made this thread, I've been coming closer and closer to picking up the DVD that's already out and I would have been MAJORLY honked on this if it was the case.

2-1B
04-09-2003, 03:06 AM
No Blades !
No Bows !
Leave your weapons here !
:p :p :p

I LOVE this movie, and am excited to hear about the new DVD release ! I have the flipper edition already, but I probably won't mind replacing it since I got it several years ago AND I'm sure it will be available at a great opening week price. :)

Costner is good in this movie, no argument there.
I thought Christian Slater did a fine job and I really enjoyed his character.

I ESPECIALLY want to point out Mike McShane and his wonderful job of playing the good friar ! :crazed:

Beast
04-09-2003, 03:12 AM
Here's the full press release and artwork for the DVD. I find it funny how they designed the case to look sort of LOTR'ish. Even Robin and Marian in the middle look like Arwen and Aragorn on the bridge from Fellowship. It's even got that lil weird symbol at the bottom of the cover, that looks like the one on the LOTR EE. :)

THE DVD RELEASE THAT LEGENDS ARE MADE OF…

ROBIN HOOD: PRINCE OF THIEVES -
EXTENDED VERSION

Digitally Remastered Two-Disc Special Edition DVD
Featuring 12 Never-Before-Seen Minutes Incorporated Into The Film
Plus Historical Documentary Hosted By Pierce Brosnan

Hits The Bullseye For Sure-Fire Adventure On June 10

“One of the most spectacular movies ever made!” - Arch Campbell WRC-TV/NBC

Burbank, Calif., April 3, 2003 – The most heroic of legends. The most lavish of adventures. A most extraordinary DVD. On June 10, Warner Home Video (WHV) brings back one of the most exciting, action-packed adventures in modern movie history with the release of the epic Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves – Extended Version Two-Disc Special Edition DVD, featuring an expanded edition of the $165 million box-office smash hit film with more than twelve never-before-seen minutes of footage, an all-new digital transfer and hours of other princely bonus features. Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves – Extended Version DVD will be available on June 10 at $26.99 SRP.

Academy Award® nominee Kevin Costner (Dances With Wolves, Thirteen Days) leads an ensemble cast as the legendary outlaw hero Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves in the action-packed adventure of one of the most popular sagas in folk history, co-starring Academy Award® nominee Morgan Freeman (Driving Miss Daisy, Sum of All Fears), Academy Award® nominee Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio (The Abyss, The Perfect Storm), Christian Slater (Windtalkers, The Contender), Alan Rickman (Harry Potter and the Sorceror’s Stone, Die Hard) and directed by Kevin Reynolds (Waterworld).

Nominated for seven MTV Movie Awards, Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves also featured Bryan Adams stirring romantic ballad “(Everything I Do) I Do For You” which won a Grammy Award® for “Best Song From A Motion Picture” and was nominated for an Academy Award® and Golden Globe Award.

From its earliest filmed versions, through Errol Flynn in green tights in Warner Bros.’ classic 1938 The Adventures of Robin Hood, to Sean Connery as an aging Robin opposite Audrey Hepburn in 1976’s Robin and Marian, the legend of Robin Hood has been a compelling and continually re-interpreted subject for motion pictures over the years. Presented for modern audiences in a new richly-textured epic, Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves is filled with all the pageantry, the intrigue, the action, the romance and the passion that have made Robin Hood a hero through the ages.

For the good of all men, and the love of one woman, he fought to uphold justice by breaking the law. In this detailed, action-packed retelling of the legendary story that has captivated generations, Robin Hood must battle the evil Sheriff of Nottingham not only to save King Richard the Lionhearted and England but also to save his love, the noble beauty Maid Marian.

DVD ELEMENTS
DISC ONE
 12 Specially Added Never-Before-Available Minutes of Footage
 Two separate Audio Commentary tracks:
o One by Kevin Costner and Director Kevin Reynolds
o One by other cast members Morgan Freeman & Christian Slater, and Writers/Producers Pen Densham & John Watson
 New Digital Widescreen Transfer [16x9 1.85:1]
 Remastered Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround sound
 Subtitles: English, French & Spanish

DISC TWO
 Making-Of Documentary “Robin Hood: The Myth, The Man, The Movie” hosted by Pierce Brosnan
 Vintage one-on-one interviews with the cast, including Kevin Costner, Morgan Freeman, Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio, Christian Slater and Alan Rickman
 Score-only audio track with all-new Dolby Digital 5.1 Remix
 “Weapons of the Time” 3-D gallery
 Worldwide poster art gallery
 Extensive production notes including cast/crew biographies

TWO-DISC SPECIAL EDITION BASICS
$26.99 SRP
Street Date: June 10
Languages: ENG (5.1), FR
Subtitles: ENG, FR, SP
Running time: 155 mins.
Rating: not rated
DLBY/DGTL [CC]
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

stillakid
04-09-2003, 03:26 AM
I remember seeing this in the theater. I was really excited and thought it was really fun (Alan Rickman stole the show!), but I distinctly recall being (shocked, aghast, surprised?) when the credit music came up....Brian freakin' Adams?!:eek: :sur:

I like the song now, but at the time, it didn't seem to "fit" the film somehow. Still doesn't really, but since I've grown to like the tune, it doesn't bother me too much.

Pendo
04-09-2003, 03:45 AM
I LOVE this movie! I have got to ght this DVD, hopefully it'll be released here in the UK. It probably will be :).

PENDO!

Eternal Padawan
04-09-2003, 10:18 PM
Ahhhh..yes. Mike McShane. I saw him on reruns of Whose Line is it anyway? years later and yelled "Friar Tuck!" I believe he also lent his talents to A Bug's Life by doing the twin pill bugs. ("You are fired!" "YOU are fired!" ) but I could be mistaken.

This was also the first time I remember seeing Michael Wincott in anything, and he is, as we all know, the mother of all bad guys with that super cool gravelly voice of his. If anybody doesn't think Wincott should have been cast as Frank Castle, watch Metro and Alien Resurrection. (sorry, I'm still big on maybe Thomas Jane spraining something and Mike having to take over...)

Plus, every time Morgan Creek's production logo pops up on a film, they play a little ramp from Robin Hood and I go :cool:

PoggleTheGreater
04-10-2003, 09:20 AM
Did you ever see those Robin Hood toys that were based on the molds for the Ewok village and the Ewok battle wagon?

Beast
04-10-2003, 12:20 PM
It was more then just the village and battle wagon that loaned out parts for the Robin Hood line. Take a look at the Friar Tuck figure's legs. They are Gamorrean Guard legs. There were other parts sharing, but they slip my mind at the moment. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

stillakid
04-11-2003, 01:23 AM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
It was more then just the village and battle wagon that loaned out parts for the Robin Hood line. Take a look at the Friar Tuck figure's legs. They are Gamorrean Guard legs. There were other parts sharing, but they slip my mind at the moment. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Did the vintage kiddie line borrow that Ewok treehouse from Winnie the Pooh? I can't remember. I almost bought that thing once from an antique shop, and now I'm kicking myself for not doing it at the time.

Eternal Padawan
06-19-2003, 04:27 PM
Well, I got the DVD finally. I enjoyed watching the film again, even with the uneccessary extra footage put back in.

I noticed the trailer used music from Willow.

I was expecting more from the Kevin/Kevin commentary, but it seemed like Costner kept kissing Reynolds keister. "You're my favorite director. You always cut this scene together well. I love your angles."

I also realized that Boss Nass played Robin's father! "GOD and King Richard!" :cool:

Mandalorian Candidat
06-19-2003, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by Eternal Padawan
I also realized that Boss Nass played Robin's father!

"Robin, weesa gonna make you a bombad prince of thieves."

BRGABRGABRGABRGA...spit