PDA

View Full Version : NHL Playoffs..... 2NITE!!!!

The Overlord Returns
04-09-2003, 05:08 PM
Well, it's that time of year again. I realize many of my friends south of the border do not share the love of hockey that we canadians have, however, that shouldn't stop us from enjoying what is arguably the most difficult championship journey in sport....

Starting tonight with My Leafs vs. the Philadelphia Flyers.........and to all the fans in Philly.....here's to what should be one helluva series between two well matched teams....

Also.....condolences in advance for when we knock you out in the first round ;)

Vortex
04-09-2003, 05:41 PM
Hey join up and slate your picks...

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18757

EricRG
04-09-2003, 09:40 PM
Even though they finished the season rather slowly, GO CANUCKS.

Darth Jax
04-09-2003, 10:45 PM
a big hand for the canucks for letting the much beloved av's pass them and get that record 9th championship.

mabudonicus
04-10-2003, 11:16 AM
So far so good for the Leafs.... my heart stopped a few times when it looked like key players were injured(Tucker, mostly), but we won....
Gonna have to dig up my Wendel Clark avatar, methinks:)!!

The Overlord Returns
04-10-2003, 11:20 AM
Fantastic game last night........this is shaping up to be the best series of the playoffs.........

Watching Mogilny is just a thing of beauty.....

JON9000
04-10-2003, 12:34 PM
Last year I was in Raleigh when the NHL playoffs were going on. I couldn't believe how many Leafs fans came all the way to Raleigh to see the game at the Wolfpack Dome, err, I mean ESA. One Leafs fan had too much fun. He passed out at a club sitting on a trash can with his pants down. He thought he was on the toilet. Someone had the nerve to confirm what he did in the trashcan. Take off, eh.

Rogue II
04-10-2003, 12:40 PM
How the heck did the Senators get shut out by the Islanders?

GO LEAFS!!!

The Overlord Returns
04-10-2003, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by JON9000
Last year I was in Raleigh when the NHL playoffs were going on. I couldn't believe how many Leafs fans came all the way to Raleigh to see the game at the Wolfpack Dome, err, I mean ESA. One Leafs fan had too much fun. He passed out at a club sitting on a trash can with his pants down. He thought he was on the toilet. Someone had the nerve to confirm what he did in the trashcan. Take off, eh.

Heh....well....you know....we leaf fans can get a little...umm....wild at times ;)

Vortex
04-10-2003, 01:20 PM
GO WILD!!!!

Kidhuman
04-10-2003, 02:12 PM
Go Devils....Devils vs. Wings in the Finals...

Devs. in 7

The Overlord Returns
04-10-2003, 02:51 PM
No no no....................

Leafs vs. the Stars in the finals.......

Leafs in 7

;)

Vortex
04-10-2003, 02:59 PM
You leafs fans are worse than Boston Red Sox fans or Dallas fans thinking every year is gonna be "Their Year"... :D

If they were going to be good they would have finished better than what they did in the regular season.

And I can't beileve people actually root for the Stars...sick, sick, b@st@rds.

The Overlord Returns
04-10-2003, 03:05 PM
If that were true...then Ottawa would have won three stanley cups by now.....

And I am not rooting for the Stars.....I just think they'll beat detroit for the western spot in the finals.

Sentinel18725
04-10-2003, 03:12 PM
GO BLUES!!!!!!!!!

Longest running playoff appearances in hockey history. It's time for their first taste from the Cup!

Vortex
04-10-2003, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by The Overlord Returns
If that were true...then Ottawa would have won three stanley cups by now.....

And I am not rooting for the Stars.....I just think they'll beat detroit for the western spot in the finals.

Yea if that was true, the blues would have won a few back to backs also:)

Has there ever been a low seed (5 or lower) to win the cup?

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
04-10-2003, 10:12 PM
Woo-hoo! Caps shutout the Lightning 3-0!

Darth Jax
04-10-2003, 10:27 PM
Kariya in 3 OT. Ducks 1, Red Wings 0

EricRG
04-11-2003, 12:10 AM
I'm rather annoyed with the Canucks. They were humiliated at home tonight 6-0. They are playing horribly. Don't be surprised if the Blues take this. But man I hope they can bounce back. Ever since Cloutier got hurt, they just haven't been the same.

figrin bran
04-11-2003, 01:25 AM
how about Giguere tonight?? :)

Vortex
04-11-2003, 08:49 AM
Hows about them WILD!!!

Rolli was stellar last night, and I can only hope Manny can give a similar preformance sat night.

I also hope my Golden Gophers can repeat as national champs too.

Its a great time to live in Minnesota.

Sentinel18725
04-11-2003, 08:59 AM
GO BLUUUUEEEESSSSS!!!!!!

6-0 shootout!

The Overlord Returns
04-11-2003, 09:18 AM
Detroit.......Joseph...all I have to say is.....

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!

That being said...hell of a game ...........

mabudonicus
04-11-2003, 10:23 AM
Overlord- Mogilny sure is magical eh??
I'm hoping that we can avoid anymore Blue and White injuries, losing antropov isn't a HUGE deal, but we can't have the past repeating itself...I've got a bad feeling the Leafs will win tonight, then drop 2 straight at home for some stupid reason... seems real likely...
And just to get this out- why can we not maintain a 2 goal lead?? WHY?!?!

The Overlord Returns
04-11-2003, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by mabudon
Overlord- Mogilny sure is magical eh??
I'm hoping that we can avoid anymore Blue and White injuries, losing antropov isn't a HUGE deal, but we can't have the past repeating itself...I've got a bad feeling the Leafs will win tonight, then drop 2 straight at home for some stupid reason... seems real likely...
And just to get this out- why can we not maintain a 2 goal lead?? WHY?!?!

I love Mogilny...................so laid back...........yet such a genius on the ice.

as for your lead question....we still need to tighten up on defence.

Kidhuman
04-11-2003, 12:43 PM
Mogilny is one of my favorite hockey players ever. Every hockey video game I play I always trade for him.

Anyway that Detroit_Ducks game was awesome. Giguere was an animal in OT. If the Ducks lost that game it wouldn't have been his fault. One of the best OT games I remember is the Pitt.-Philly game a few years back. Me and my friend were up till like 4am watching it. We called in sick the next day because we were so tired.

Tonysmo
04-13-2003, 04:30 AM
GO BLUES!!!... even though we are now tied.. grrrrr...

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
04-13-2003, 11:03 AM
C-A-P-S! CAPS CAPS CAPS! :D Take that Tampa, it's 2-0 now!

Darth Jax
04-13-2003, 07:43 PM
washington/tampa is/was the only series i thought would be a shutout. being in a western conference town i don't pay too much attention to the east. best series this round should be edm/dal. although if red wings meet the av's EVERYONE should watch that. some very entertaining hockey to be found there.

Kidhuman
04-14-2003, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by Darth Jax
although if red wings meet the av's EVERYONE should watch that. some very entertaining hockey to be found there.

Isn't that the truth. ALways fun to watch those two teams duke it out. Literally.

The Overlord Returns
04-15-2003, 09:23 AM
GO LEAFS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sentinel18725
04-15-2003, 09:30 AM
GO BLUES!!!!!!!!

mabudonicus
04-15-2003, 11:42 AM
Yeah Leafs!!!!! Pulled it out again last night!!!!! YESSSSS!!!!!! One more in TO then it's back to philly to advance!!! I didn't see the contest (you can only call in "sick" so often:)) but the highlights make it look like a classic Leafs post season match.....
When's Dougie coming back?!?

Oh, and does anyone have any graphics of "Peter Puck"? I looked for some but to no avail:( Someone must have a pic of him somewhere?

Rogue II
04-15-2003, 12:36 PM
Here's a couple links I found for Peter Puck. I vaguely remember that guy.

http://www.bcdb.com/bcdb/detailed.cgi?film=14550

http://www.hhof.com/html/t7humour.shtml

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
04-16-2003, 10:20 PM
OMG, NO! The Caps lost. The series is tied... :dead:

Arrogant Arse
04-17-2003, 10:10 AM
Go Wings!... er,......Uh,.........Have a good golf game Wings....

Whooptie Do, first Defending Stanley Cup Champ since 1952 Leafs to be swept out in the first round. A sad day in Detroit

I guess the Wings are a bunch of old guys.

I now MUST support Ottawa!

sith_killer_99
04-17-2003, 11:05 AM
Support who you must, I am having fun watching the Avs race for the cup!

Did anyone else catch those amazing saves by Roy (#33 the greatest Goalie in the NHL) Monday night?

WOW!!!:eek:

Go Avs!!!

The Overlord Returns
04-17-2003, 11:16 AM
Who's the loser now, cujo?

mabudonicus
04-17-2003, 02:06 PM
Mwahhhh hahh ahhhh!!!!!! Yes, quite the upset for Detroit- the hall of shame, now... I am kinda mixed on it though, Disney doesn't deserve a Stanley cup, even if it's only a theoretical possibility is too close!! JJreason- sorry, bro, now you can cheer for the Leafs, though;)!!!!!
Leafs- well, for getting outshot so badly, they're doing alright!!!
I am pretty disappointed with the decision to have the next Leafs game at 3 saturday afternoon (DON'T say I didn't tell ya, daytime games always get me, it seems)
The time change will make some kind of difference in performance, but exactly what effects it will have are hard to guess at....

Mandalorian Candidat
04-17-2003, 02:08 PM
Holy freak!!!! Last night's Ducks-RWs game was about the best I've seen in a long time! How lucky was Fedorov to get that deflection off Haviland's stick?! Amazing, just amazing.

The ending was classic. Both teams were playing up a frenzy when Carney/Ruccin managed to get that OT goal on Cujo. I bet he wishes he was still with Toronto.

Wouldn't that be the ultimate irony for Cujo if the Leafs won the cup this year?

If the Ducks don't make it, then I want the Leafs to win even if it's just to see the look on Cujo's face. :evil:

seth_quinn
04-17-2003, 10:37 PM
hey mabudon! presents! part 1:

seth_quinn
04-17-2003, 10:37 PM
part 2:

seth_quinn
04-17-2003, 10:39 PM
and part 3:

btw - just right click and save, they're already 75x75 for you. :-)

mabudonicus
04-18-2003, 11:46 PM
Beautiful, man!!! Thanks for the memories, I'll put em to good use!!! Still kinda freaked about tomorrow, though........ I'll be doing all the Leafs rituals I can think of... I have many Leafs items which I set up strategically throughout the house, and when done right it seems to make a difference....
Hope we've got a blue and white future to discuss on tuesday man!!!

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
04-20-2003, 08:06 PM
I just got home from one hell of a hockey game. After 3 OT periods, Tampa Bay eliminated the Washington Capitals 2-1 to clench the Southeast Division title... :cry:

EricRG
04-21-2003, 10:06 AM
Well, the Canucks have managed to make it interesting. It'll be a great game Tuesday evening.

GO CANUCKS!

Mandalorian Candidat
04-21-2003, 02:30 PM
Hey, does anyone know how the NHL decides who plays who after the first round? There aren't any bracket sets you can download from espn.com like you can for the NBA because it seems that the NHL reseeds everyone after the first round. For example the Ducks are playing the Stars in the WC R2 yet the Ducks should be playing either the winner of St.L/Van or Col./Wild because the 1/8 and 2/7 matchups are always on the opposite ends of the brackets.

Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Vortex
04-21-2003, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by Mandalorian Candidat
Hey, does anyone know how the NHL decides who plays who after the first round? There aren't any bracket sets you can download from espn.com like you can for the NBA because it seems that the NHL reseeds everyone after the first round. For example the Ducks are playing the Stars in the WC R2 yet the Ducks should be playing either the winner of St.L/Van or Col./Wild because the 1/8 and 2/7 matchups are always on the opposite ends of the brackets.

Anyone know what I'm talking about?

I think they match the highest seed with the lowest seed through out. So the Stars being #1 and winning and getting to play the lowest seed that advances...hence the Ducks at #7.

If the Wings would have won, and lets say the lanch win, and the canucks...all the top seeds. Dallas would have played the Canucks while the wings would take on the lanch, due to the rankings.

Don't hold me to this, but I think they changed over to this style a few years back due to the old brackets and the #1 vs. #4 match ups that sometimes took place, where the lower part of the bracket you'd have #3 vs a #7 or #8 if there was an upset. So #3 would have an easier time advancing than #1 would.

I think the league and players union found it unfair so they just gave the highest seed a shot at the lowest seed, depending on the outcome of the 1st rounds.

But I think this new system is a few years old...97 or 96? I think?

seth_quinn
04-21-2003, 03:37 PM
hey t-jo, I'm not sure, hasn't the current format been the way it's always been? either way you got it right though. teams carry their ranking through the playoffs.

wow, that was quite a comeback by t-Bay after going down 2-zip.
love that the wild just refuse to die. go wild!
looks like the canucks got the wake up call they needed, now all they need to do is finish the job.
as for the leafs, they just live for games like this. game 7 tomorrow in philly.

btw - we have a little pool going in this thread:
http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18757

Jerjerrod
tjovonovich
Darth Jax
The Overlord Returns
and myself all made picks for the fisrt round,
if anybody else wants to join in. please do. we'll find a way to come up with a handicap for any new pickers to even things up.

Vortex
04-21-2003, 04:06 PM
I thought it was something just imposed like the changing of the names of the conferences from Wales and Cambell to East and West. Remember when they used to have the old Norris Division, etc.

I sort of remeber the old play off trees were it was:

1 vs. 8
4 vs. 5

3 vs. 6
2 vs. 7

And if, this was the old way, you can see that the lower bracket had a slight advantage if there was an upset in the group.

But I could be wrong but I do remember my old NHL games having a play off tree like this and I do remember back in grade school making play off trees and betting with friends...but that was so long ago I might be making up memories or altering them.

But you never know my memory could be fading which it is.

The Overlord Returns
04-21-2003, 04:31 PM
GO LEAFS GO!!!!!!!!!

mabudonicus
04-22-2003, 01:52 AM
Man, tonight at work, some idiot lied to me and said the buds had lost (can't listen to the games:()
I thought it was over for 20 sad minutes....
Tonight's game will be a classic no matter what...
GO LEAFS GO!!!!!!

seth_quinn
04-22-2003, 07:17 AM
hey Leafs! if you need a little extra motivation, remember - if you win tonight you get to pound on the Sens for two more weeks agian!
GO LEAFS GO!!!!!! (canucks and wild too!)

Sentinel18725
04-22-2003, 08:11 AM
I am truly disapointed with my blues! Nice job guys. I guess you are no good without Al Mcinnis! Redeem yourself tonight!

Vortex
04-22-2003, 08:36 AM
My Wild are something else. Since everyone else is doing this OT thing, they gave up two quick ones to force OT with the Lanch. Talk about giving the fans a heart attack.

But I can only hope they pull through tonight, but the Wild are miserable with back to back games. I just hope they break that curse tonight.

The State of Hockey needs some extened play.

LET'S GO WILD!

Kidhuman
04-22-2003, 08:56 AM
3 games sevens. This is awesome. To bad twenty four is on during all this. Avs, Blues, and leafs will advance.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
04-22-2003, 12:04 PM
Ohmigod, I can finally post here on my home computer:eek:

The playoffs haven't been as magical as they have in years past. Perhaps that is because Buffalo hasn't made it the last two seasons. However, I still will watch them every night unlike many NHL fans who give up once their team is out of it.

Talk about your overtime, the Leafs and the Flyers probably have bottled oxygen in the dressing room between periods for the players to sniff. Last night's game was a doozy, the Leafs finally showed some gumption. But can they pull it off in Game Seven? I say no, Philadelphia is a tough place to win considering the home team will be pumped. They are a very physical team and can easily wear down the Leafs at home.

As far as the East is concerned, I do not want the Devils again. Anyone but them. I rooted for them in 94' when they went up against the Rangers and a year later when they won their First Cup but ever since then I cannot stand to watch them.

The West seems to be dominated by three teams the past 10 years--either the Avs, Wings, or Stars. Now that Detroit has been bounced the odds on favorites are Dallas and Colorado. If they lose tonight (the Avs) will it be a cakewalk for the Stars? Good thing the Canucks or the Blues seem powerful enough to take them on if ever they should meet.

The Overlord Returns
04-22-2003, 12:17 PM
Well...helluva a game last night....I don't know what Reichel was thinking on that penalty shot...but. we ended up plaing the best we've played so far...and got a much deserved win.

Interesting note: The leafs have appeared in game 7's 18 times in their history. they have one 11 of those game sevens.....nice stat to consider going into tonight.

Vortex
04-22-2003, 03:19 PM
I loved this during the (insert 3 letter word here, staring with W)
and now I know were he is...

Enjoy...

Mandalorian Candidat
04-22-2003, 03:44 PM
Ha, ha. Freakin' funny tj! :)

Yeah, I think you're right about the playoff format. I saw a brief snippet last night on some sports broadcast (NHL 2night maybe?) where they listed the new rankings of one of the conferences and the Ducks were #4. That kind of bugs me because it makes it that much harder for a lower seed to advance in the playoffs, but nobody said hockey was an easy game.

Vortex
04-22-2003, 03:48 PM
I think all this happened around the time they switched the home and away game counts.

I remember it was a 2-3-2 set up, where today its 2-2-1-1-1. I liked the old way better. Made the fans get into it more, and turned up the pressure a little more.

But hey, things have to change...

The Overlord Returns
04-22-2003, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by tjovonovich
I loved this during the (insert 3 letter word here, staring with W)
and now I know were he is...

Enjoy...

That my friend, was hilarious!

Vortex
04-22-2003, 04:06 PM
Its nice to have a large color plotter here at work. I've got that thing poster size hanging off the back of my drafting board. (I've got a die hard wings fan in the office) He keep throwing paper wads at it.

Vortex
04-22-2003, 08:56 PM
What happened to the Leafs????

Well everyone together now. "Wait, till next year."

Man, I hope the Wild put on a better showing later tonight.

EricRG
04-23-2003, 12:13 AM
WOOHOO!

Canucks wake up and move on. And special thanks to the Wild for giving Vancouver home ice in the second round as well. Unbelievably, both the Wings and the Avalanche are gone in the first round. Perhaps they could schedule a series of friendlies against one another. :)

Vortex
04-23-2003, 12:17 AM
Shhhoooooooooot. Its a great time to be a hockey fan in Minnesota.

1st the Gopher repeat as back to back National Champs in College hockey and then...this win...this still unbelievable OT Win...

I cannot believe Manny played outta his mind, and no one, no one, even attempted to hit or slow Andy down, and he just walked around Roy...a high light clip for the play offs.

Man, what a night.

Well with the Wild's feude and bad blood with the Canucks this next round will be good.

Go Wild!!!!

EricRG
04-23-2003, 12:21 AM
Don't forget that the Timberwolves POUNDED the Lakers tonight as well, also much to my delight.

Tonysmo
04-23-2003, 02:11 AM
**sniff** The Blues have done it yet again... this must be the tenth year in a row they go to play offs and do NOTHING..

I shall now root for the STARS!

heck - just bring on da football..

The Overlord Returns
04-23-2003, 12:11 PM
Well...I am disgusted and embarrassed to be a Leafs fan today....

I can't believe only one player, Ed Belfour, showed up with the intention of trying to win the game.......everyone else seemed to make the decision that they'd rather be on the golf course.....

Quinn.....I love ya...but we need a new coach.

Eddie....thanks for a great season....hopefully the team infront of you next year will want the wins as much as you do.

Mandalorian Candidat
04-23-2003, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by EricRG
Don't forget that the Timberwolves POUNDED the Lakers tonight as well, also much to my delight.

Enjoy it while it lasts cause that will be their only loss this round.

I was really impressed with the Wild. They played with a lot of heart, just like the Canucks, Lightning, and my beloved Ducks. Those guys were all rejects by the other teams. Brunette, the guy who scored the OT goal, was tossed by both the Thrashers and Predators. Pretty good revenge on his part by single-handedly beating Blake and Roy on that goal to show those two teams they screwed up royally.

I'm shooting for a Minnesota-Anaheim WC final.

seth_quinn
04-23-2003, 12:49 PM
yugh, how humilliating was that? ... bleh, I don't even have anything else I can say right now. (grumble, grumble)

seth_quinn
04-23-2003, 12:54 PM
misspelling humiliating, now that's humiliating.

"Quinn.....I love ya..." ah, thanks man, you're good peeps too.

Vortex
04-23-2003, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by Mandalorian Candidat
Enjoy it while it lasts cause that will be their only loss this round.

I'm shooting for a Minnesota-Anaheim WC final.

Hate to say it, but you're probably right about the b-ball bit.

I don't watch the timberpuppies since they choke in post season and have a way of self-sestructing. This will be another year they are out after the 1st round.

Onto hockey again - I'd love to see the Wild in the WC, but I would want them to play Dallas, just for Minnesota revenge purposes. Fans have never forgotten and I just wanna hear they chant Norm Green Sux, and NORTH stars, NORTH stars.

I would like nothing more than to see Dallas loose to anyone, but I have to go with revenge factor here.

seth_quinn
04-24-2003, 02:21 AM
to anyone that isn't already; get in on the playoff pool in the misc. forum (sir stanley's cup thread) the points structure has been modified so that anybody still has a chance, even if they didn't make picks for round one.

EricRG
04-25-2003, 01:02 AM
What a game! Glad to see the Ducks jump out against the Stars. So strange...this number 7 seed is now a combined 5-0 versus the number one and two seeds. Amazing. And great to see RPI alum Adam Oates still contributing.

ALSO glad to see everyone wrong about that "b-ball bit". The T-wolves REALLY tried hard to give that game to the Lakers, but they weren't having it. Glad to see Kobe screwing up at the end, glad to see the T-wolves finally getting a bit of long overdue revenge against these guys. Go Wolves! (Actually, Go Celtics! I just gotta root against anyone who plays the Lakers.)

Mandalorian Candidat
04-25-2003, 10:42 AM
Holy freak! Last night's game was even better than game four of Ducks/Red Wings. It's so inconceivable to me the stamina those players have. And as the game went on Giggie boy got even better (or at least looked better cause the forwards were probably getting off weaker shots).

I was sooo pis$ed about that noncall the replay goal judge gave. It was Turco who knocked the net up and the amount of net movement was negligible. Since the puck was either already behind the plane of the goal line or on its way in when the net moved they should have kept the ref's ruling. Well, no matter. The game ended the way it should. :D

GO DUCKS!

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
04-25-2003, 11:18 AM
The no goal call that benefited Dallas (they always seem to do) was pure B.S. The worst part is that when they call back those goals, you typically get no explanation to why it was called back. If they said that the net was knocked off the mooring, then the replay judge could consider that it was forced off unintentionally or with the help of a Dallas player, which seemed to be the case in this instance. Either way, justice was served. I actually caught the replay just as the game ended, sometime around 1:30 here on the East Coast. From watching most of the overtime, I knew that it would take something magical to beat "Jiggy" if they were going to beat em' at all. Wonderful game.

Tonight the Filthadelphia Flyers take on the Ottawa Senators in what is sure to be a series worth watching.

Arrogant Arse
04-25-2003, 12:12 PM
GO SENATORS!!!!!

The Overlord Returns
04-25-2003, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by Arrogant Arse
GO SENATORS!!!!!

I'll second that.....destroy the infidels from Philadelphia.....

Vortex
04-25-2003, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by The Overlord Returns
I'll second that.....destroy the infidels from Philadelphia.....

Hey come on now. We all know that disinformation guy is working for Detriot. Infidels...that only works with detroit stuff.

Arrogant Arse
04-25-2003, 10:11 PM
Sens 4 Filthadelphia 2

seth_quinn
04-26-2003, 03:10 PM
whoa, less than 1.5 to go, now that's cutting it close. as much fun as thursday night was, I'm glad it didn't go on and on too. kinda feel for Min, they really did deserve to win.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
04-26-2003, 09:56 PM
Did anyone see all the empty seats in Jersey? This is the second round of the playoffs. There is no excuse for that. The same thing applies for their basketball team. There seems to be little fan support attending games at the arena in the Meadowlands. I'd hate to see the Devils become a mediocre team, because even with all the first place teams they have fielded over the years, the Devs should have a way lot more in terms of sellouts.

Vortex
04-27-2003, 12:30 AM
yea the wild had a bad hick-up. 3-1 lead only to blow it with under 8 minuets remaining for a win. It happens, but I think they'll win sunday.

They have something to prove.

On a side note, is it just me, or is the officiating just miserable again. Man, there were charges, high sticks flying all over the place, massive interferance, and super quick whistles when its fired on the goalies. Some times it seems they blow the whistle just as the puck hits the goalie or is about too.

I understand they lets a lot of stuff go, but man, it get ugly and the stuff they do call is bush league sometimes.

EricRG
04-27-2003, 02:14 AM
Yeah, I'll watch the playoffs as long as the Canucks are in it, but I usually stop watching hockey once my team is out, and part of the reason is the way games are called. I've never understood why the refs are almost required to disappear once sudden death starts. That's why we end up with 7+ period games. It also takes teams out of their normal game plans. A penalty is a penalty, and the fact that the game is called completely differently depending on the significance of the game and the part of the game that the action is taking place, is ridiculous to me. Sure, similar effects happen in other sports, but not nearly as drastically as occurs in the NHL. That's my 2 cents.

Oh, also, Go Canucks! Great Game 1 win. That's gotta be demoralizing for the Wild. They played a great game for 2 1/2 periods, and a horrible game the rest of the way. I'm sure many of you will want to point out to me that the Canucks won in sudden death...on a power play. :)

And I'm real glad to see the Ducks up 2-0. I'd love to see them knock off the Stars.

mabudonicus
04-27-2003, 03:04 AM
EricRG, I TOTALLY agree with you ;)!!!
That whole (Lanny voice):"No whistles, this is the playoffs" is RIDICULOUS..... mebbe it's just cos I'm a Leafs fan, but whenever a possible career-ending injury or otherwise game-determining infraction gets swept under the "playoffs carpet" it browns me off like nobodies business......
Breaking a guys face open with your stick illegally is an offense no matter WHAT the import....... I like the fact that the refs try to not make as many garbage calls, but trying to make "less calls" in general is just outright stupid, they should just do their jobs IMHO, who cares what "time" it is....

Vortex
04-27-2003, 11:52 PM
Let the feude begin...

Yup, Minnesota and the Canucks are at it like they were during the regular season. Cheap shots on both sides after the game, long standing memories of the regular season sucker punches, broken noses, boarding calls...

When things get back to MN you can expect a lot more junk and mucking.

I'm just glad MN held on tonight for the win. The crap at the end was ugly, but there are a few scores to settle and its obivious no one has forgotten who suckered who.

This will definitly be the best series of the 4 going on currently. Philly and Ott. could rival this one, but the gloves have been thrown down.

Mandalorian Candidat
04-28-2003, 11:11 AM
I didn't have a chance to see the Ducks-Stars game Sat. because my baby sister got married, but on espn.com Mike Modano was whining that they were getting bad calls from the refs. Was the officiating that bad? I don't recall MM being much of a complainer so he must be really frustrated. It sounds to me like the Ducks caught a lucky break with Neidermeyer's off-the-Stars'-skate goal with 1 min. left and just took advantage in the OT period.

Who would have thought they'd be undefeated so far against the Stars and Wings?

Vortex
04-28-2003, 11:14 AM
I guess the Ducks ARE for Real...

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
04-29-2003, 10:16 PM
I saw the goal Cechmanek let in, in the Overtime period versus the Sens and it was a doo-doo one. Philly has spent a bazillion dollars over the last 6-7 years to get a Cup and won't get one because they don't realize that goaltending must come first. I'm not saying Roman is a terrible goalie, he has shown flashes of brilliance at times, but with the exception of one game that I can think of (Game 2) he hasn't really impressed me the entire playoff series.

seth_quinn
04-29-2003, 11:22 PM
statistically Roman has actually been very impressive over his nhl career but his hasek-esque style is eventually going to cost him and any team he's playing for at the time. his flailing, spastic bag of luck is getting light.

as for putting the whistles away in OT; within reason, I'm all for it, blatant or vicious infractions must be called but other than that, let'em play. this isn't golf or baseball. if the game's getting a little ruff for you - go back to europe and take your cheap stick-work with you. as someone that still plays at least once a week year round, I want to look into my opponents eyes and win or loose based only on the play, good or bad, of my teammates and myself. an abundant amount of unnecessary penalty calls was the reason I watched much fewer games this season. way too many games where decided as a direct result of endless power-plays.

normally my attention also wanes after Leafs are eliminated, but this year there are still so many good series worth watching. all four series are at 2-1 so the next two days should tons of fun. after thursday it'll 3-1 strangleholds or knotted up at 2 apiece best of 3's. oh, how exciting.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
04-30-2003, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by seth_quinn
statistically Roman has actually been very impressive over his nhl career but his hasek-esque style is eventually going to cost him and any team he's playing for at the time. his flailing, spastic bag of luck is getting light.

Yeah, he has great statistics, because he plays on a team that is stingy in terms of shots given up. And flopping like a fish out of water didn't hurt Dominik Hasek any. But he really hasn't proved that he can win the big games. I believe the last playoff series versus the Leafs was only his first playoff series win and even that wasn't enough to impress me.

As far as penalties in overtime are concerned, I still believe that obvious penalties should be called, none of that chintzy stuff that gave Tampa a two-man advantage last series versus Washington. High-sticks, Too many men, any deliberate hard slashes, delay of game, and the one penalty that refs never call is delay of game due to the net intentionally being knocked off (which is a Penalty Shot in OT), should all be called.

Arrogant Arse
05-01-2003, 09:45 AM
Go Sens!!

Mandalorian Candidat
05-01-2003, 02:56 PM
The Ducks-Stars series is a testimony to the importance of a good defense and excellent goaltending. Last night's game showed that if you defend the goal well and have patience, the scoring opportunities will present themselves. I thought that game would have gone into a sixth OT until Arnott screwed up and LeClerc capitalized with 1 min. left.

A win for the Ducks will be tough in Dallas, but hey, they're for real this year.

Mandalorian Candidat
05-06-2003, 02:04 PM
Alright! Time for the Conference Finals to start. I'm picking the Devils over the Sens. in 6 for the East. If the Canucks go (which I believe they will) I think the Ducks will take them in 5 or 6. If the Wild win it'll be a slugout between the two underdog teams. I'd predict a 7-game series for that one.

GO DUCKS!

Vortex
05-06-2003, 02:36 PM
Getting a little trigger happy already calling out the east/west division championships when the Wild and Canucks are still at war.

I'm holding off on picking till the dust from the Wild vs. Canucks round settles.

But after last night I am starting to wonder if Van has enough gas left in the tank to take them through to the next round.

EricRG
05-06-2003, 09:28 PM
I usually refrain from makin predictions...but I gotta assure everyone that the CANUCKS will go through to the conference finals. Even if it goes to Game 7 (which it well could). Game 6 is in Minnesota. Game 7 would be THE NEXT NIGHT in VANCOUVER! I think for that fact alone, with the teams being rather tired, that home ice will be the difference, as it was in Blues-Canucks. They know how to make some noise in BC.

Now, whoever ends up having to play Anaheim may be in for a surprise. Either the Wild or Canucks will be physically/mentally drained, especially if it goes 7. Those Ducks are a force to reckon with, even though Giguere has shown some chinks in the armor the last two games.

Mandalorian Candidat
05-07-2003, 01:06 AM
I want to know what the heck is up with Kariya? You never hear anything about that guy. He was practically AWOL during the Stars series. Good thing everyone else stepped up because if the Ducks had to depend on Kariya to get past the Stars they would be playing golf now.

Arrogant Arse
05-07-2003, 09:14 AM
GO Sens!!!

GO Wild!!!

Vortex
05-07-2003, 10:10 AM
Man, I hope the Wild can pull through tonight and force game 7.

St. Paul and Minneapolis are both going nuts today. I seen at least 4 cars on my way to work with banners on the top, Go Wild written in soap on the back window and other things. Buses have Go Wild flashing on their destination signs, and every DJ on the air is talking about Game 6 and Game 7.

I'd be wearing my sweater today but its in the wash. I'll be glued to the TV once the puck drops.

I wish I was at the "X" to watch the game...but hey, best seat in the house, and the beer isn't as expensive:D

EricRG
05-09-2003, 01:08 AM
Unbelieveable. I'm in shock. Congratulations to the Wild and their fans. What a ride. All I can say is, Vancouver better plan to get a new goalie, because Cloutier is just too prone to sour streaks.

Vortex
05-09-2003, 06:58 AM
Quite the hard found round. Canucks and Wild have just developed a major rival battle and next season will be interesting.

Hat off the Canucks for the 7 hard fought games.

But bring on the Ducks.

Arrogant Arse
05-09-2003, 09:03 AM
GO SENS!!!

Mandalorian Candidat
05-09-2003, 09:29 AM
Hell of a game! That last Bertuzzi penalty kind of summed up the series for Vancouver. They came out of the post ramped up but the Wild just outlasted them.

By virtue of being the 7th seed the Ducks are still the underdogs and that's the way I likes it. :D

Vortex
05-09-2003, 10:20 AM
today's paper said...it might be the fishing opener, but its DUCK SEASON!!!

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
05-12-2003, 09:25 PM
Just watched most of the Ducks/Wild game on ESPN and your hat has to go off to J.S. Giguere for playing another heckuva game. Granted Minnesota isn't an highly powered offensive team, but two shutouts in a row, in their building, to open a series? If you thought this guy wasn't for real before, you should be a believer now.

I know I am jumping to conclusions, but let's say the Ducks finish off the Wild, and make it to the finals. Will they have a chance to win the Cup? A small one at best because I have seen a number of superb goaltenders lead their team to the Cup Finals over recent years and most to no avail. It takes experience and talent to win the Cup and the East right now, has it, especially NJ. Remember the Canucks in 94, Panthers in 96, the Caps in 98, the Sabres in 99, and the Canes last year all had young surprise teams that reached the finals. They all also had hot goaltenders that carried the load throughout the playoffs (McLean, Van Briesbrouck, Kolzig, Hasek, and Irbe/Weekes) but none of them won it. They lost out to the better teams (Avs, Red Wings, Stars, and Red Wings respectively). The only exception to the rule that I can think of was in 95' when the Devs won. Still, they were all exciting and entertaining teams. I will root for the Ducks if they make it.

Of course I assume a little too much. Minnesota has a habit of coming back from defecits.

Vortex
05-12-2003, 09:50 PM
Wild are in trouble. I was watching the game too...oh man.

Wild passing zones are shut down, the Ducks are taking advantage of small mistakes, and I forgot all the old vets on the Ducks. Neidermeyer, Sandy O, Oates, etc.

The Wild need to take two from the pond to keep this alive. I think if they go up 3-0, I dont think the wild can battle back.

Just depressing to watch the ducks score two shorthanders tonight.

Sort of Ironic really. The Ducks movie was filmed in St. Paul and Minneapolis and now they are doing a number on the state the started them...

EricRG
05-12-2003, 10:21 PM
Canucks/McLean lost to the Rangers, no?

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
05-12-2003, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by EricRG
Canucks/McLean lost to the Rangers, no?

Whoops, thanks for pointing that out Eric. It should read (Rangers, Avs, Red Wings, Stars, and Red Wings respectively) respectively.

jjreason
05-12-2003, 11:23 PM
Watched it to. Im still shaking my head after the first round, but I think Im finally a believer in the Ducks. After they punted us so abruptly, I figured they'd go and waste that accomplishment, but not yet. I still hope the Senators win (for Canada), but I shant cry if the Ducks pull it off. No question Kariya deserves a sip, right after JS Giguere.

Arrogant Arse
05-22-2003, 12:23 PM
GO SENS!!!

Porcelina
05-22-2003, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by Arrogant Arse
GO SENS!!!

my thoughts exactly :)

Kidhuman
05-22-2003, 02:54 PM
Question: How will the time off affect JSG? I think it might affect him because he has had a long lay off and games won't start until Tuesday. Then again I could be wrong.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
05-22-2003, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by kidhuman
Question: How will the time off affect JSG? I think it might affect him because he has had a long lay off and games won't start until Tuesday. Then again I could be wrong.

He had a pretty long layoff after the Ducks swept the Red Wings in the first round. They were the first team to win their series and a had plenty of days off. Didn't seem to affect him.

BTW, I am still sticking to my original prediction, New Jersey in 7. ;)

Mandalorian Candidat
05-23-2003, 10:50 AM
I'm going for the Senators because it's been just too long since a Canadian team has won the cup (I think the Habs were last in 1993 against my beloved Kings). If my Ducks don't win then I wouldn't mind as much to see the Senators take it.

I don't see Giggy-boy having too much difficulty getting back into it after so much rest. I think whichever team wins game 7 will have a tougher time than the Ducks in SCF game 1 due to lack of rest. Look what happened to the Wild after their last game 7.

GO DUCKS!!!!

jjreason
05-23-2003, 12:00 PM
JSG will be fine, his confidence must be at an all time high right now. Im hoping the Sens can finish off this great comeback, that way we're guaranteed a first-time cup win for either team - and a final series played at a fever pitch. I'd love to see the Cup back in Canada.

Kidhuman
05-24-2003, 06:53 AM
Originally posted by Lowly Bantha Cleaner

BTW, I am still sticking to my original prediction, New Jersey in 7. ;)

I hear that. Go Devs

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
05-24-2003, 09:43 PM
Well it looks like a Ducks/Devils final. Even though I picked the Devils in the series, I hated to see them advance. Granted there is a lot of envy in my hatred, I just wanted to see a more exciting team make it to the Finals, rather than the Devils again. I am sorry to say this, but New Jersey doesn't deserve a franchise. They struggle to sell out games despite having near first place records throughout the regular season, they fail to sell out a couple of playoff games, and get this--I saw an advertisement for tickets for Game 4 of the Nets/Pistons series yesterday on the YES network. If you still have to advertise for tickets a day before you upset a team like the Pistons, on your way to advancing to the Finals, then you don't deserve a team. You got to give credit to Lou Lamirello for his genius for being able to put together consistent winning teams for both franchises.

BTW for selfish reasons, I rarely root for franchises that have never won the Cup before (i.e. Canes) because I feel they have to put their time in before they win, but in this case, I am rooting and picking the Ducks in 6.

Mandalorian Candidat
06-10-2003, 05:34 PM
I'm sooooo disappointed but it was a great finals series. Who would have predicted that the Ducks would have made it to game 7 of the finals? The Devils played some great hockey. Once they got ahead they couldn't be stopped. They played some great smothering defense.

All in all the Ducks can't be too bummed. They did better than anyone could have expected and they played a team with tons more playoff experience than them. Plus Giggy got the Conn Smythe trophy.

I wonder how different the series would have been if the Ducks had home ice advantage or if they didn't have that huge gap between the Wild and Devils series.

Darth Jax
06-10-2003, 10:21 PM
looks better for the avs next year. if nothing else hockey is a sport of superstition. each previous time jersey won the cup, it came home to colorado the following season. maybe the lose of Roy won't be as catastrophic as i predict.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
06-14-2003, 09:03 AM
In conclusion, I give my hats off to the Devils for winning another Cup. Even though their style of play is probably the reason why the NHL is outwached on TV by billiards, and even though it seems to me that the majority of fans in NJ/NY area don't give a hoot about the Devils (or even the Nets) it is a highly effective style of hockey they play.

The Ducks had a solid playoff year and Giguere has emerged as an upper echelon goaltender. Hopefully they are not a flash-in- the-pan team like the Canes, Sabres, Caps and other teams that were surprise Stanley Cup Finals teams.