PDA

View Full Version : Girlfriend hates toys (contd.)

the master jedi
08-17-2001, 09:55 PM
From humsup's tale of woe on the old forums: MY GIRLFRIEND HATES MY TOYS :( (http://209.197.112.151/thread.html?dom=ss&TID=7&PID=5225)

Like I said before, forget about women and buy a goldfish.

GNT
08-17-2001, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by the master jedi
Like I said before, forget about women and buy a goldfish.

Dump her and you'll be able to complete your collection of Star Wars Toys!

Her or the Toys!

JediTricks
08-18-2001, 12:09 AM
I'm telling you, if you want to keep the woman, dump the PLAYSTATION! That's the key to this story, I think.

GNT
08-18-2001, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by JediTricks
I'm telling you, if you want to keep the woman, dump the PLAYSTATION! That's the key to this story, I think.

Playstation,where does that come into all this?

GNT™
''You fool, my reach is far greater than the Jedi. Only a Sith can wield the force over such a great distance.'' - Darth Sidious

JediTricks
08-18-2001, 01:24 AM
Originally posted by GNT
Playstation,where does that come into all this?

Read the thread, it's in there in the middle. That's how this all came up, he was playing a Playstation game, IIRC.

GNT
08-18-2001, 01:29 AM
Ok,I ust have missed that part :)

GNT™
''You fool, my reach is far greater than the Jedi. Only a Sith can wield the force over such a great distance.'' - Darth Sidious

humsup
08-18-2001, 02:15 AM
Hey!! My thread!! Anyway, thanks TMJ for moving it here.

Hereby cont my saga :)
Yesterday, the 2 of us celebrated our 3rd year anniversary :D Have candlelight dinner and such. She has come to terms that I'm a starwar guy and its a fact as solid as cement and she's got to live with it. On the other hand, I receognizes her needs too and its just gonna be a give n take kind of stuff. The story ends and its a happy ending :D

I remember in the old thread, there is this "Sith Lord Kitten" or something like that been the female spokesperson. Add color to this male dominating forum (I guess). Come on back!!!

By the way JT, I have a playstation at home and its not been used for many a months......

Darth Cruel
08-18-2001, 02:28 AM
My fiancee (henceforth referred to as Sith Lady Diane) has allowed me to go back on my promise to not spend any more money on Star Wars until I get us into a bigger house because she knows how badly I want the new RFT and Imp Officer coming out next year.

I have spent less than 40.00 all year on my collection but thanks to a fellow collector that I have helped out...I have recieved the pieces I desired most. Now SLD is allowing me 100.00 a month...I don't think I'll know what to do with myself.:)

12inch Lando
08-18-2001, 04:36 AM
Yea JT, I think that he said he was playing his Playstation but she didn't smash the game system, she knocked down all his figures.

JediTricks
08-18-2001, 06:51 AM
Sorry Humsup, it was Sith Worm who had the problem with the playstation, toys, and girlfriend. He posted in the middle of the thread and I got the two predicaments mixed up.

Congrats on the anniv and the successful exchange of ideas. :)

12inch Lando
08-18-2001, 09:16 AM
Oops... I guess that means that I screwed up too. I'll take your word for it JT since I'm too lazy to look back and check.

QLD
08-18-2001, 05:30 PM
Just nod your head and say uh huh a lot, and you're golden.

2-1B
08-18-2001, 11:34 PM
humsup, most experts agree that the best way to keep a rocky relationship in tact is to have a child together.

Try it!

Fulit
08-19-2001, 12:30 AM
Yes, Caesar's right, it worked for me & my wife. ;)

2-1B
08-19-2001, 12:51 AM
I rest my case!

To help you even further humsup, I suggest you get working on that immediately. That way, 9 months from now while she's in labor you can be waiting in line for AotC.

She'll see what a committed person you really are!

Fulit
08-19-2001, 01:02 AM
Yeah, right about now would be a good time to start, see my wife got pregnant in July 98, so my son was born in April, just in time to accompany us to the E1 TRU Midnight Madness sale. He was just about 3 weeks old, so he stayed in the car w/ my mom, who was in town to see him, the whole time and slept, but he still got a certificate from TRU that says he was there at the first Midnight Madness sale or whatever.
I tried to talk my wife into getting pregnant again this year and again in '04 so our childrens birth would coincide w/ each new movie, 99, 02, 05, but to no avail. I know, that's cheesy, huh? Don't worry, she'd never go for it. What is kind of cool is I was born in 77 and my son in 99, so he will be the same age when he sees Ep 3 that I was when I saw ROTJ.

Well, I got way off topic there. Sorry, I'm bored.

humsup
08-19-2001, 11:24 PM
That's really on my mind :) but living in the Oriental society, this is taboo when you are not married.

QLD
08-20-2001, 10:04 AM
Making the child will help your relationship, taking care of it distracts you from your problems until the child grows up.

Fulit
08-20-2001, 10:42 AM
Quite Long's almost right. It makes you put personal problems aside and focus on the whole new set of problems, such as the new human you're responsible for. I would definitely not recommend having a kid to cure relation problems, I was just joking when I said it worked for me and my wife. Obviously it is optimal to have one because you want to, not to help your relationship problems. Look at me, I sound like some therapist on Sally Jesse Raphael! Ha!

2-1B
08-21-2001, 02:03 AM
I was also kidding when I suggested to humsup that they have a child !

humsup
08-21-2001, 04:20 AM
Hey!! I thought you guys are serious about that suggestion ;)

evenflow
08-21-2001, 08:49 AM
My girlfriend despises everything I do when it comes to Starwars. Everything gets related to StarWars and I always jump at the chance to talk abut it. She hates going to the mall with me becasue she knows I will stop in every toy store possible. She hates it so much, that she probably hates me.

master jedi
08-21-2001, 01:15 PM
evenflow, your girlfriend should be happy that your taking her places and that you include her in your star wars life.
I just don't get women.

El Chuxter
08-21-2001, 01:35 PM
I've been reading this thread but not responding for a while now, and I'm just thankful that my girlfriend is as understanding as she is. Once she called me when she went to meet a friend an hour away and said, "I'm in Target here in Palm Springs--which Leia was it you're looking for?" And she's currently searching for "Ketwol the elephant alien, gray alien, Queen Amidala lookalike, and Bespin Guard."

The day after I opened my 12" Captain Tarpals, I came home to find it displayed on a bookshelf with a bamboo plant, my Dancing Jar Jar, and a base of straw. Much cooler than how I'd have ended up displaying it.

She's even displayed an interest in reading the Thrawn novels when she has time (she's an English teacher, with not much time during the school year to spare for non-class reading). But she did read Galaxy of Fear #1 over the summer (partially so she could read a Star Wars book I hadn't gotten to yet).

Brave Sir Robin
08-21-2001, 02:20 PM
In the words of Eric Cartman:
"If some girl tried to get me to stop buyin toys I'd be like "Hey woman, you shut your mouth!":D

Lobito
08-22-2001, 03:08 PM
Good thing my gf loves Star Wars...and she even plays the Star Wras video games...all they need is 5 minutes with the game and thats it, u wont move them from their place!!

evenflow
08-22-2001, 05:21 PM
You know Master Jedi, you are right. She is lucky to have some one like me that shares his joy.

Jedi Clint
08-23-2001, 03:47 PM
Due to my current profession, I must justify my tools (toys), and my toys to my wife. They are all the same to her. My recent Transfomers kick has her a bit concerned. I can't say that she is thrilled that I collect, but I do think she understands that I am not exactly throwing our resources away. If I had to guess what she dislikes the most about my collection.....I would have to say that I display some around the house, and that does NOT fit her vision of our home decorum.

Women dominate my homestead! I have a 2 1/2 year old daughter and a 2 month old daughter. It did not take me long to figure out that A) If I had another it would probably be a girl. B) In 13 years I am in serious trouble! C) "My house" is just something I say when I am telling someone I am headed to the place I sleep. D) I have to convert the small shed next to the house into MY area/shop.

I wouldn't have it any other way though :)

Lobito
08-23-2001, 04:23 PM
I have the same problem, i am about to get married in a couple of months and i dont know where am i going to put all my figures...it seems that i will put them in the room that belongs to the kids (when they arrive of course) but when they grow up is when things are going to get interesting. I guess i'll have to work harder to build a large room where i can display all the toys.

master jedi
08-23-2001, 07:09 PM
I'm not going to get married and have any kids because the wife would make me get rid of all my stuff and I keep my star wars stuff in package and the kids would just wanna open and play with them.

bigbarada
08-23-2001, 07:15 PM
Master Jedi, my brother has that problem all the time, he's married with two toddlers. One day he came home and his Icons Replica Luke and Vader sabers were missing. After some searching he found his youngest son banging them together in his room!! They now have huge and irrepairable dents all over them!

master jedi
08-23-2001, 08:37 PM
if I were your brother I'd dis-own so fast.....

Obi-Dan Kenobi
08-23-2001, 10:52 PM
Hearing these stories makes me appreciate my girlfriend very much. Don't get me wrong, life isn't all happy and joyful all the time, but we fit each other very well. I really started collecting in late '96, about a month after we started dating. She would get all excited every time a new figure appeared. We were both art majors, and her concentration was in fibers and fabric sculpture. She made a lot of costumes in college. When EP I was coming out, a showed her a Vanity Fair picture of Amidala in the Senate Gown and she was blown away. Needless to say, she now has the three Portrait Editions and several 4" figures, as well as an Amidala ornament and poster in her apartment. I haven't gotten her a Sabe yet. She went to the May 3rd sale with me, saw TPM with me on opening day (the second time I saw it, that evening), and hunts for figures for me. I spent months looking for Biker Scouts, and she's found me two! So if your woman isn't down with your collecting, I say keep looking. There's chicks out there who are cool with it.

QLD
08-24-2001, 08:07 AM
My girlfriend doesn't participate at all, but she doesn't seem to care really. Aside from a few jibes here and there, all is well.

Obi-Don
08-24-2001, 09:16 AM
I guess that i'm real lucky to have my wife.Not taking in the fact that she is married to me"why?I don't know why." She's a brave woman.But she never gives me a hard time about my collecting addiction.She has gotten a good bit of it for me,but I do have to keep it in the playroom.I think she gets a kick seeing me go crazy when I find something that I have been looking for,I get this really big stupid grin on my face like this:D

Son of a Sith
08-24-2001, 02:52 PM
I was fairly lucky in that the new toys were released 5 years after I met my wife. She actually thought I was joking when I said I was going to start buying the things, but I placated her by saying my intention was to purchase just the principal characters and the first four vehicles - all that was available at the time. Well that went out the window as all the great new stuff came out. Now that there's so much product however, I've down-scaled my collecting to just the vehicles and the best of the Action Collection Series. So we're both happy.

2-1B
06-08-2002, 06:33 PM
How's it going, humsup? Any updates? Does she still hate your toys? :D

bigbarada
06-08-2002, 07:30 PM
Ah, the old forums classics! Makes me nostalgic.:cry:

It also reminds me of the name-theft controversy that plagued MJ and Rollo when the forums first switched over. Oh well, it led to the birth of the Eternal Padawan so it wasn't all bad.;)