PDA

View Full Version : Cantina Bar Sets Wave 2 - No Go.

LTBasker
04-09-2003, 07:17 PM
Galactic Hunter-
Cantina Wave 2 Update
4/9/2003 12:37:34 PM | Reported by Mike

It appears that the second wave of Cantina Bar sets are a no go this year for the U.S. market. "We have no plans to release the Cantina Bar sets in the U.S. for 2003, " said Hasbro's Paula Sacchi, " and we can't comment on 2004 product."

The three sets, consisting of Wuher, Dr. Evazan, and Kitik Keed'kak, are apparently available overseas. Since Wal-Mart evidently passed on them, whatever pieces have been produced are now being sold off to other resellers by Hong Kong distributors. Online retailer Brian's Toys is importing them from the Orient and are currently taking pre-orders at secondary market prices.

Whether the sets will be released at a future date in it's current form (i.e. packaging and character selection) here in the U.S. remains to be seen. One thing's for sure---these will be hot in the collectible market and go for a premium in the meantime. Keep checking Galactic Hunter for further updates.

You can view detailed package and loose photos of Cantina Wave 2 in our Image Bank by clicking here.

Thanks alot Hasbro, buncha frickin monkeys. :mad: I don't see why they can't just release them as tail-ender deluxe, they don't have to change any of the packaging just release them under deluxe assortments. Now we will likely end up paying probably double for each. (maybe triple for Kitik and Evazan?)

Kidhuman
04-09-2003, 07:19 PM
That is crap. Now we have to pay extra because they are being imported. What next hasbro?

El Chuxter
04-09-2003, 07:22 PM
Wow. That sucks hard. I guess I can take some Play-Doh and make some, like I did with Qui-Gon and his Eopie, since I'll never see them.

:cry:

We need a bear in Hasbro, to maul the idiots who do mean things like this to us. :mad:

Jedi_Master_Guyute
04-09-2003, 07:30 PM
That is pure crap!!! Thanks alot hasbro, nothing like only making your products available through rip off artists such as Brians Toys. Appreciate it!! Good way to show the fans you care!! schmucks.

Jargo
04-09-2003, 07:36 PM
So are these things only available from the orient now or what? Wonder if Europe will still get them. I have a pre-order in with one e-tailer in europe but wonder if I'll see the order get shipped at all. Must send a wee e-mail to them and find out......

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-09-2003, 07:39 PM
This cannot be!!!!! I love those things! They all look great . . . now I'm ******!

Amy
04-09-2003, 07:40 PM
Noooooooooo!!!!!!!:( Dang this is let down! I cant believe I have waited THIS LONG just for them to do this. What a load of crap:(.

Beast
04-09-2003, 07:45 PM
Don't blame Hasbro, it's not like they didn't want to make them. Especially since they already paid for them to be produced, and then had the buyer back out. Point the blame at Wal-Mart for changing their minds. :(

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

LTBasker
04-09-2003, 07:47 PM
They could have made them Deluxe though, or heck I'm sure Entertainment Earth would've gone for them. We better get this expanded upon, cause unlike the Eopie with Qui-Gon, these are really cool!

sith_killer_99
04-09-2003, 08:07 PM
I admit it, I was just over at Brian's and had trouble ordering from the site.

I will breakdown and order these by phone tomorrow. The price is about 2X retail, or roughly $20.00 each.:(

I just don't want these to end up like the Wave 2 Accessory sets from EP1, I still don't have a set of those.:(

Turbowars
04-09-2003, 08:12 PM
Don't blame hasbro, LOL. Hasbro can do as LT said, make them Deluxe.

TheDarthVader
04-09-2003, 08:16 PM
I am going to remain skeptical. I think someone made a deal with Brian's Toys "under the table". LOL There is no reason why Wal-Mart would turn these down...is there? I know I bought one of each (3, to complete the first set). I think we will see these at some point. It might be 2004...but we will see them :)

sith_killer_99
04-09-2003, 08:16 PM
or offer them to:

Target
Toy's R Us
KB Toys
K-Mart (hehehe);)

or

FAO (:eek: NNNNOOOOOooooooo..:eek: )

or just make them Deluxe figures.:crazed:

Jedi_Master_Guyute
04-09-2003, 08:22 PM
WM prolly doesn't want them cause they're worried they're infected with SARS.

Turbowars
04-09-2003, 08:24 PM
How about EE. They would jump on it. Besides they are just down the street from me;) I read somewhere that they are all made and sittig in a warehouse. If thats true, Hasbro is losing BIG $$$

TheDarthVader
04-09-2003, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by turbowars
How about EE. They would jump on it. Besides they are just down the street from me;) I read somewhere that they are all made and sittig in a warehouse. If thats true, Hasbro is losing BIG $$$
Exactly! It doesn't make sense. Just like I said...we will see these. I have a "feeling" about this...maybe it's the FORCE??!

Jedi_Master_Guyute
04-09-2003, 08:33 PM
Well, i've seen "gleaming the cube" with Christian Slater, so i know how to break into big warehouses, so i can get a few cases out!!! quick, all i need is a skateboard, an oil can and rag (to create an explosion to distract the man so i can get away)

who's with me?!??! :D

Jedi_Master_Guyute
04-09-2003, 08:36 PM
JB- i highly doubt that.....it was #1 for the longest time and i believe was #1 in sales last year (i remember reading that). It beat Spider-man, wrestling and He-Man...thus, i DOUBT Hasbleh is having money problems.

Jaff
04-09-2003, 08:37 PM
Jar Jars statement that we shouldn't blame Hasbro is just silly. Hasbro decided to release the Hammerhead set first to cash in on possible sales. Everyone had these figures so they did not buy them. Wal Mart says these don't sell. Hasbro acts suprised then sells them out their back door because they want to rid themselves of them. It's like makin 50 Jango's so that you can hold off on makin that new figure so they will have a sale next month. Folks blame hasbro, it's simply bad marketing that made us loose out on these figures. Everyone knew the sales of the first wave would be bad, Hasbro just tried (and failed) to make anticipation for the second wave.

Dialogus
04-09-2003, 08:37 PM
As a tru Cantina junkie, I wonder how I will get my next dose:cry: ...

But that doesn't surprise me, due 2 low sales of wave 1. Wave 2 was supposed 2 hit the shelves in late 2002 so one who'd already knew something was wrong:( .

Guess I'll see what I can do from here...I do have a good n' fair contact so I'll keep u in touch;) !!!!

Turbowars
04-09-2003, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by Jedi_Master_Guyute
Well, i've seen "gleaming the cube" with Christian Slater, so i know how to break into big warehouses, so i can get a few cases out!!! quick, all i need is a skateboard, an oil can and rag (to create an explosion to distract the man so i can get away)

who's with me?!??! :D Gleaming the Cube, LOL, I loved that "B" Movie. .............................................HEY Brian, what happened to you Bro?

Turbowars
04-09-2003, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by JediBrian
nothing happened to me turbo. You and your croonies tried to get me banned. Nice job. LOL, what ever.

James Boba Fettfield
04-09-2003, 09:25 PM
Let's not stray off topic, guys.

Turbowars
04-09-2003, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by James Boba Fettfield
Let's not stray off topic, guys. Yeah OK Mr Mod:stupid:

plasticfetish
04-09-2003, 09:34 PM
Grrrr ... the only one I wanted was "the grasshopper dude".

Dr Zoltar
04-09-2003, 10:31 PM
Man, this is driving me nuts. They were cancelled, they were not, they were cancelled, they were not...

I am in agreement that I wish they were given to EE. They have been great to work with in regards to exclusives.

BoShek
04-09-2003, 10:41 PM
Series one ended up .50 at my Wal Mart so it makes sense for me.

HASBRO: release the grasshopper on a card! Make us happy!

Turbowars
04-09-2003, 10:48 PM
See, thats so strange, they flew off the pegs in southern CA. Yeah, u it would be really nice to see the green guy on a basic card.

Banthaholic
04-09-2003, 10:53 PM
I counted wave 1 at my Wal-mart the other day and they had 20 of them left, although the manager there orders like an idiot so it doesn't surprise me.

I broke down and preordered the set from amoktime at $51 for the set. With shipping it's under $60. A bit pricey, but if the preorder is legit, I have my set. Plus I don't get charged till they ship so I have nothing to loose by trying.

Heck I've easily waisted over $20 in gas just driving around looking for certain exclusives.

Thunderstorm1
04-09-2003, 11:27 PM
I too have placed my order with www.amokime.com.

However the first wave are nice pegwarmers here in Louisville, So I can see why Wal-Mart might backdown. I think that it should have been given to someone else or just released as a Deluxe assortment like LTB said.

Oh well!

bobafrett
04-09-2003, 11:40 PM
I just checked with the ToyPalace in Germany. I had seen these figures up for pre order a month or so, but thought I'd hold on and get them here. They have a "Cancelled" and not in stock. Although they say they do have a limited amount for those who pre-ordered. I guess I'll have to check out the amoktime link, and order through them.

plasticfetish
04-10-2003, 01:25 AM
Originally posted by Banthaholic
I counted wave 1 at my Wal-mart the other day and they had 20 of them left
Ooof! What turbowars said is true ... I only saw one of those figures in a store here (Momaw Nadon I think) and it was all crushed and trampled. I gave up looking after a while, deciding that for $10 I didn't need a re-hash of those figures anyway.

JON9000
04-10-2003, 04:02 PM
Ugh. no second wave. I suppose the first wave ended up with peg warmers. Wal-mart ordered too many, or Hasbro made a huge mistake in releasing them with figures that had already been done well enough to begin with. If the bar sets had been released with brand new figures, I am sure they would have been much more successful. I bought wave 1, but I wasn't happy aobut getting duplicates.

So a stupid mistake by both companies means they did not sell well and now if I want the darn things, I have to order off some doofus etailer. That's just great. Thanks. Hasbro is really making me think about hanging it all up.

Hasbro, there is a problem with the AE-35 Unit. Go check it out, and I will take care of the rest.

Beast
04-10-2003, 04:17 PM
Depends on the area, and how many collectors are in it. They sold out at both of my local wal-marts. As they did in many other Wal-Marts. The problem was, some area stores got way more then they should have. While others didn't get enough. They would have sold a lot better, had they been properly distributed by Wally World. :(

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Sentinel18725
04-10-2003, 04:21 PM
I guess Amok Times price is better than Brians Toys. He is wanting 6 each for shipping. That brings the total price for the set of three to about $80.

What about the Fan Club picking them up. It seems it's been a long time since they have done anything right. Last I can remember was the stormtrooper builder set about what, a year and a half ago. They drastically under produced the 12" Plo Koon.

Come on, let's see this fan club work!

Turbowars
04-10-2003, 08:16 PM
OH, I forgot Hasbro never does anything wrong, but I do agree with you JJB, WM has a problem with stocking. I have heard that WM can't order SW items, what they get is what Hasbro sends them. So if that's true, then the finger gets pointed back at Hasbro. No matter what they should have never been rehashes. There's many other ways to get the 3 figures.

Beast
04-10-2003, 08:51 PM
Turbo, Wal-Mart handles the distrubution of the figures. Not Hasbro. All Hasbro does is send the cases to Wal-Mart's distrubution center. It's then up to Wally World to distribute the cases to the stores. The individual stores can't order Star Wars figures, that's true. They are ordered at a corporate level and then the distrubution centers send the orders out to the stores as they see fit. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Turbowars
04-10-2003, 09:28 PM
It's so strange. I thought stores keep records of sales, so if something sells well, they order more and vice versa. So that means the Southern CA stores should have gotten more cases than the East right? I guess you call it supply and demand. Hasbro and WM have a very hard time with this concept.

Dr Zoltar
04-10-2003, 10:04 PM
I gave in to pressure and ordered them from Amok Time. The way the regular figures are not showing up much at retail stores, I just couldn't take the chance of missing these. Or worse, deciding I wanted them 2 years from now and paying for them on eBay at an extremely inflated price.

JangoFart
04-11-2003, 01:40 AM
I pre-ordered them from Brian's Toys. It only cost one arm and one leg. But, I figure if I can get my grubby mitts on some items that may never actually see the light of day at retail, it'll be worth it. If they end up being ubiquitous like the other Cantina sets, there's egg in my face. Oh, well; won't be the first time, won't be the last.

J

JON9000
04-11-2003, 11:27 AM
So how will you guys feel paying a premium for these now if it ends up that they are released in America in a year or 2? That is what I cannot abide. You just never know. And I suppose we will never see the rounded end piece. Crud.

Dr Zoltar
04-11-2003, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by JON9000
So how will you guys feel paying a premium for these now if it ends up that they are released in America in a year or 2?

That would suck, but IF they come out, they will be $10 a piece minimum like the first set. I ordered them for a total of $60 including shipping so that's not too bad. Heck, with the first set I only ever saw the Greedo once. So even if these would be widely released in the US we'd still have to deal with the Hasbro distribution issue. I can't even find some of the first 2003 stuff that is officially released!

icatch9
04-11-2003, 03:42 PM
Alright, right now there is a bit of a panic about these. That's understandable, but there is no need to freak out and get all mad. It is unclear what is going to happen to these. Still, we need to look at this rationally.

Hasbro made them. They made enough to satisfy WM thursty gut. WM back out. That means Hasbro has a WM size order of these things just sitting in a wearhouse somewhere. So, Brians Toys bought some, as did other etailers/scalper stores. That has got to leave a ton of these things in thier warehouse. No way any of these etailers could afford to buy the whole WM order. Probally didn't even come close when they were all combined.

So what does that mean? That means Hasbro has a large quantity of these things that they need to get rid of fast. TRU and KB live on stuff like this. Where do you think they get all that stuff that is marked way down? Just like all the X Men 1 figs, Saga 4 packs, exclusive die cast cars that don't sell else were. We know this happens, we see it and buy it all at half the price. How many of us got an AT AT for $10-$20? Same thing will more than likely happen with these figs. It's not like accesory packs that were made in limited supply. It's not like Swimming Jar Jar or Sio Bibble either. These were made for the largest retailer in the world, who then went and ****on Hasbro by backing out. That sucks for Hasbro but could be good for us. Who wouldn't want to walk into KB and buy a handfull of these things for $5 each?

Don't freat, be patient and things will come to us. Good things :D.

Dr Zoltar
04-11-2003, 04:10 PM
True, but I'm going to follow the motto "Better Safe Than Sorry" on this one. They may be released to the general public, but what if Hasbro decides to do it overseas? I live in an area where it's rare to see Star Wars items go on clearance. The AT-AT from a few years ago lasted a week at TRU and then I never saw it again nevermind on clearance. As for Kay-Bee, their stock hasn't been much better. The only exclusives I found from them were the Darth Maul with binoculars and the Jedi Starfighter with see-through box.

But again, I can only speak for the Pacific Northwest area.

I will be happy to eat crow if these things are widely released in the US for $10 a pop...

LusiferSam
04-12-2003, 12:40 AM
I'll bide my time and wait. The way I see it when the dust finely settles I may have some gaps to fill in with my collection, but they will be filled.
Personally I think its Wal-Mart fault. But I've had a feeling about this for sometime. The main reason, my local Wal-Mart can't ride the first wave.

TheDarthVader
04-12-2003, 07:37 PM
I have stated the same thing icatch9 stated. I have a good feeling these things will be available at some point, somewhere. They just have to be!! Hasbro wouldnt throw them all away or burn them! Someone has to pick these up! Maybe TRU!!!?? :)

Teeska Mon Eebon
04-12-2003, 09:55 PM
Unhappy becasue I don't have any of these figures... But maybe if we're lucky we'll get praying mantis man and/or wemon

RussUAE
04-15-2003, 12:44 AM
I bought Wave 1 when on holiday in the US last Autumn, but they weren't that great.

I doubt I'll lose any sleep over Wave 2. Am still trying to catch up on POTF2, so my Cantina scenes are greatly lacking anyway and there are much better figures I'd prefer.

Am guessing there will not be a wave with curved bar ends then given the response for Wave 2.

Jargo
04-15-2003, 09:42 AM
Is my signature not nice then or something? :(

originally posted by Teeska Mon Eebon
Blue ~ it makes the world go round.
Blue ~ It's the color of the Blue Man Group
Blue ~ It's a crappy Parady of Jargo's Signature

As for the curved bar ends RussUAE, Hasbro reckoned recently there would be no bar end sets so we'd all have to get customising if we wanted them. Something to that effect anyway. I actually thought the first wave was okay. Ponda baba looked a little knock kneed but aside from that they were fine and the bar sections are good. Admittedly kitik is the only one worth having from this second wave, but there you go and where are you?

I so hope my order actually comes through and doesn't get fouled up somehow.

Jerjerrod
04-15-2003, 10:34 PM
I understand why Walmart backed out. Who can blame them? The first wave went on clearance for $2 CDN each. They probably thought the second wave would suffer the same fate. Ultimately, I agree with the fact that it's a combination of both WM and Hasbro errors. Wave 1 flat out sucked:

Ponda Boba - it didn't even sell well way back in POTF2
Momaw Nadon - nicely repainted, but everyone has one already.
Greedo - his 3rd release? Why?

Wave 2 is much better, but still, a bad choice of characters:

Wuher - not a bad choice, as many may have missed out the first time, plus nobody liked the cup stuck in his hand. A little heavy on the "dirty" shirt paint job.
Dr. Evason - much improved over the first version, but still not accurate.
Kitik'keed'kak - The only good choice made by Hasbro.

Of the six, I'll only buy Dr. Evason and Kitik, which shows how bad Hasbro screwed up. They should have picked 6 unmade characters, I'll be all over those. WM, on the other hand, could do a better job with their distribution system. My WM only has 3 rotting Han Endor raids on the shelf for the last 4 months!

JON9000
04-19-2003, 04:13 PM
Look, I really don't care about the figures as much as I do the bar itself. I already had all the darn figures so the y weren't really important to me. If this set had been released with all new aliens it would have been an awesome seelr though and they would not have gathered dust. And if the Bar end had come out I would be the proud owner of something to display all my cantina figures (I open all my cantina figures) around. But no. Hasbro just had to screw it up, or had to back out, or whatever. Talk about lack of planning, they made the Wuher figure when there isn't enough room between the bar and the cardboard to put him there, and then he's on the background anyway? Hey hasbro- excellent idea, poor execution. :(

Turbowars
04-19-2003, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by JON9000

poor execution. :( What else is new.

Banthaholic
04-28-2004, 04:21 PM
Well, there are many Cantina Wave 2 threads, I wasn't sure which one to resurrect, so I chose this one.

Well, the good news and the bad...

The good news is that I now have Wave 2 in my possession. They arrived today, and dang was I happy to see them, and to ease my fears they all arrived minty and already in Star cases I've wanted a Kittik for dang too long, so now I have one. These were the only missing Saga item in my collection, so as of now I'm caught up.

The bad news: I used ebay, and a buy-it-now of $210, plus shipping from Hong Kong.
There goes my tax refund, but I guess having conversation pieces takes some cash. My luck, they'll release the blue carded version next month.

I'm still hoping they release an OTC version of these. If so I'll buy them again, but for now. I'm a happy camper.

Kidhuman
04-28-2004, 09:50 PM
And now for worse news....Hasbro is rumored to release them in a set(all three) later this year for 20 bucks.

Turbowars
04-28-2004, 09:59 PM
Yeah, but the crazy variant carded collectors that have to have it all don't care.

Banthaholic
04-28-2004, 10:20 PM
And now for worse news....Hasbro is rumored to release them in a set(all three) later this year for 20 bucks.
Maybe/maybe not but I still have them right now :crazed:

TheDarthVader
04-28-2004, 10:32 PM
Yeah, I can see hasbro releasing these as a cantina screen scene. I hope this "rumor" becomes reality. I still have not picked these sets up. :(

Banthaholic
04-29-2004, 01:46 AM
Yeah, but the crazy variant carded collectors that have to have it all don't care.
Speaking one crazy variant collector to another :D
Turbo, did you give into these yet?

I've been debating it for awhile, and came to the conclussion that if the price came down a bit I'd bite. Plus my girlfriend's been harping on me for ebaying too much. So I figures if I'm going to get yelled at for a package, might as well make it a big one. Funny thing is I got the same dirty look today opening this over expensive set as I got when I got a $5 bloody Luke in the mail last week :ermm:

Turbowars
04-29-2004, 09:41 PM
Speaking one crazy variant collector to another :D
Turbo, did you give into these yet?

:ermm:No, not yet. If I did, I know I would have buyers remorse. It took awhile to get over my US FF Weequay purchase.lol One good thing is, is that they are dropping in price.