PDA

View Full Version : Forbiden Love or Hating Quicktime Pro?

Tycho
11-16-2001, 08:25 AM
Who's BOUGHT Quicktime Pro for $29.99 to view this trailer?

Poo-doo on Lucasfilm for doing this!

1) Anyone have mirror sites yet, so you can SAVE this trailer to watch over and over (versus downloading it every time?)

2) If you use a mirror site from someone who has copied "Forbidden Love," do you really need Quicktime Pro to play it? I have the very latest free Quicktime, which is 5 or 5.2 or something (whatever you get by using your own Quicktime program to run it's own free update program).

You know:

a) kids can't use their credit cards to pay for Quicktime, but will be coming to the SW dot com site in hordes to see the E2 trailer, and this isn't fair.

b) cheapscates like me and Watto would rather get a 12" Luke with Yoda action figure set than shell out 30 bucks for a 2 minute trailer I'll have on the Episode 2 DVD 3 years from now, only to have found I can only buy Luke in secondary market stores for 90 dollars! This is discrimination against blue and green people!

SO ANYONE WHO HAS SEEN THE TRAILER ON THEIR OWN COMPUTER and does not have Quicktime Pro PLEASE RESPOND FOR SURE!

evenflow
11-16-2001, 08:30 AM
I used the free one, quicktime 5. I worked fine.

JediTricks
11-16-2001, 08:40 AM
A friend of mine got me QTpro5 and I spent over an hour downloading the largest version of "Forbidden Love" and saved it. Unfortunately, where the heck am I gonna place nearly 30 meg of a file, and how am I supposed to get it there with my piddly 56k dialup? That's the problem many folks who want to share are facing. But what can you, the little people do? ;) (Sorry, just kiddin' around with you)

Well, as posted by the wise Evenflow, you don't need Pro to view the file, QT5 without pro activated apparently views the files fine. But QT5 won't let you save the file. What can you do? Well, I am not terribly familiar with how QT5 works since I don't need to fight the system to save these this time around, BUT, I believe if you download the whole thing and watch it, you can watch it again without downloading a second time so long as you don't close your browser. Well, if this is the case, that means the file is probably saved to a cache folder or a temp folder and while it's still there, all you have to do is find the file (it may have been renamed, so try using Windows FIND for any and all quicktime movies created or modified in the last day, and always check file sizes since SW.com has a buffer .mov) and copy it to a new location on your harddrive. Then play the file to make sure you have the right one and you're on your way.

Good luck!

xboywonder
11-16-2001, 10:31 AM
Ok - Look... I shouldn't do this... But Damn it!! I love the SW Fans.

Enter this info when you install QT... to upgrade it to QT Pro.

name: Skippy Vallejo
company: Skipsoft
serial: 2P28-ATMM-EQGP-WUMJ-5678

But keep it on the own low... if ya know what I mean.

Tycho
11-16-2001, 10:43 AM
Got it! OK, here's an update:

First, I got the trailer downloaded from an Austalian secret Star Wars site. I am working on finding out if I can post where it came from. I was told not to tell (as of now- but I don't think that is just, do you?). So check for my update if someone else doesn't beat me with a mirror site (or 2) before I get it posted.

Second, I still do not have Quicktime Pro, but the latest Free Update (5.O or 5.2 - whatever, if it's important to find out what I'm running, ask and I'll post.)

The point being: the Forbidden Love trailer runs fine W.O. Quicktime Pro.

Last but not least, this is the LARGE version, full-screen, which the SW dot com site says you need QT pro to run.

No you do not. Get it from a mirror site. I'll work on permission to do mine, and let's get them posted.

We fans do spend our money. At least give it to Lucas' Empire and get yourself a 12" Luke and Yoda - don't give it to Quicktime Pro.

Co Jo-Da
11-16-2001, 11:54 AM
MAN, I love the trailer but I hate Quicktime and the fact that you need it to see alot of movie trailers out there.

master jedi
11-16-2001, 05:02 PM
Go to movie-list.com to download the Forbiden Love trailer. I think they ahve all the sizes of trailers. You DO NOT need quicktime pro to view the large one. StarWars.com just makes you buy it for you to download it from their site but you don't need it to watch it.

The large one, I think, is around 30 megs.

Jargo
11-16-2001, 09:39 PM
Okay, I got mine from a back door (http://starwars.apple.com/ep2/forbidden/media/640/ep2_forbidden.love_m640.mov) portal at the Apple site. I only have the freebie QT5.2 but the full shebang 640 widescreen hi-res 30meg file downloaded in about 1.5 hours over a 56k connection at approx. 1900 hours GMT today.

UPDATE: I think they closed the back door. sorry guys.

Once played right through I left my browser open and opened windows explorer (I use the '98 2nd version) browsed the tree thus: windows>temporary internet>content *click*>size. The largest files are then either right at the top of the list or right at the bottom. If you don't see a file with a blue QT icon called ep2_forbidden.love_m640 then click size again and it should be at the top now.
Then I simply dragged and dropped the file to a folder of my choosing in 'my documents'.

Smashing! Now I have a full two minutes of something Aple want you to pay for. IT'S AN ADVERT FOR PITY'S SAKE! when has anyone been asked to pay for an advert before? It stinks in a big stinky way that LFL are doing deals with evil companies like Apple.

Anyway, the only drawback with QT and the trailer is the dial up it tries every time you access the file. Simply cancel it and then open the file as normal. Choose 'fill screen' in the 'movie' menu and then sit back and enjoy. Watching for when Jango's viewfinder switches sides.........:Pirate: ARRRRR!

The 'Xir
11-17-2001, 12:28 AM
Oy I know, I've had issue's with Quicktime! 'Cause I'm like you guys, I want to keep it because it plays alot of trailers and movies out there; but on the other hand I got a buddy of mine that's a top notch programmer in Buffalo, and he says the QT program is garbage, and he would never install it on his computer because it actually eats or destroys other programs on your hard drive! So I want to take it off, because I trust my friend, but then I flirt with disaster because I don't want to miss out on anything! Doh! What's a Jed...I mean Sith to do?!!!!! :confused: :stupid:

Wolfwood319
11-17-2001, 12:43 AM
If you want non-QT versions of the trailers, go to movie-list.com.

Go to the AOTC trailer page, go to MPEG mirror files, right-click save as, and presto, works with any MPEG player.

Jargo
11-17-2001, 10:53 AM
Yeah, that's how I got the mystery trailer. Only thing is that the quality is pretty poor and the images are blocky. however, destructive as QT may be, I played the mpeg of mystery in QT and it smoothed out the blockiness and looked fantastic. :D :Pirate: AAARRRRRRRRR!

The 'Xir
11-17-2001, 01:29 PM
Yeah that is one thing about QT, if the source that you get a download from is quality, and obviously you got quality software it sure plays out pretty! I played the "mystery" mpeg in windows MP and the sound was off by about 2 seconds, throw the same mpeg in QT and it was on the money with a better picture!

El Chuxter
05-01-2008, 09:13 AM
It's on the DVD. You don't need Quicktime at all.

DarthQuack
05-01-2008, 09:42 PM
It's on the DVD. You don't need Quicktime at all.

Might have to dust it off...

bigbarada
05-01-2008, 10:45 PM
Although there is a lot of cool stuff that you can do with QT Pro that makes it worth the $30.