PDA

View Full Version : Vader's ESB:SE line addition from ANH?

JediTricks
04-12-2003, 01:23 AM
For the past 6 years, some folks have been less than kind to Vader's new line in ESB:Special Edition "Alert my Star Destroyer to prepare for my arrival". Some thought it wasn't James Earl Jones while some thought it was Jones recorded in '96 (like myself) - but according to Ben Burtt, we're both wrong. He says it was James Earl Jones, but not from recently, rather an unused line from ANH! http://www.starwars.com/community/askjc/ben/askjc20030410.html

I can't imagine where that line would have fit with the plot though, perhaps at the beginning when Vader raids the rebel corvette? Anybody have any ideas?

2-1B
04-12-2003, 01:49 AM
JT, are you sure this isn't more revisionist history from LFL ? :crazed:

Maybe they were going to have that line after Vader spun out of control and flew off? Maybe it was cut to keep the movie as a bit more of a "stand alone" film in case there would be no sequel?
Had he said that after Luke's 'one in a million' shot, it might have undermined the success of the film's climax.

Just a wild guess . . . :)

JediTricks
04-12-2003, 02:00 AM
Honestly, I'm not 100% sure it's accurate - that's why I put the question mark in the title because as much as I'd love to believe it, it doesn't quite fit.

2-1B
04-12-2003, 02:24 AM
The SE voice doesn't sound like the original ANH voice to me. The ANH Vader voice sounds more "hollow" or "mechanical" when compared to the deeper sound of ESB and ROTJ.

Still, that's not to say that the line couldn't have been tweaked in 1996 to TRY to make it sound more like ESB Vader . . . but I'm surprised to hear of this . . . :confused:

stillakid
04-12-2003, 03:49 AM
Well, it's clear that based on the release cut of ANH, there is no point in which Vader is at point A (undefined) and wishes to go to point B (a Star Destroyer).

However, some of those early drafts bore little resemblence to what actually appeared on screen. That is to say, before Huyck and Katz got ahold of the story, just about every wild thought Lucas had was included in the screenplay. We know that many of those original concepts were sifted out and included later in the subsequent films. However, by the time the screenplay for ANH was actually being committed to film, any suggestion of such a scene would have been long gone and left in a discarded draft.

Having said that, it's possible that they had James Earl Jones read everything required in the script, PLUS a number of other possibilities from the discarded drafts in the event that some of those scenes were reinstated at some later point. Because of the unique nature of the Vader personae and the mask specifically, they knew they could drop in any of his dialogue at any time without having to actually refilm David Prowse on set. It would be inexpensive and wise for them to record as much of James Earl Jones as possible to be prepared for any unexpected alterations that might be necessary in post production.

But of course, that's just a guess. ;)

PoggleTheGreater
04-12-2003, 05:05 AM
Maybe that line is from a test of some kind and was never meant to be in the movie, but it's probably not.

JON9000
04-13-2003, 07:07 PM
Count me in on the less than kind crowd. Whatever its source, it sucks.

TheDarthVader
04-13-2003, 07:18 PM
Prepare for his arrival? What were they going to do? Whip out a buffet table with all the trimmings? Clean the ship (including the toliets)? ;)

LTBasker
04-13-2003, 08:57 PM
The line in ANH could've been when the Falcon escaped, maybe they had planned on his Destroyer following them but they changed it to where he stayed on the Death Star.

TheDarthVader
04-13-2003, 09:24 PM
Good thought LT. Then, Lucas changed it to where Vader would follow the Falcon in ESB instead. That makes sense to have just one Falcon chased by SD/Vader scene instead of two.

notafinga
04-13-2003, 10:37 PM
i only saw the SE ESB once, but i remember the line stuck out like a sore thumb to me. I am one of those people JT was reffering to that thought it was not James Earl Jones.

I think the possibility that the line was abstracted from unused ANH dialoque is a pretty good one considering there was something slightly off on the injection of that sentence, like the tweaking Caesar suggested just didn't bring the outdated lo-fi recording of an earlier Jones up to par.

Sorry, but i have no speculation on what scenario that line could have been prepared for, but i am in agreeance with JON9000 that the inclusion indeed sucked and was highly uneccessary.

JediTricks
04-13-2003, 11:09 PM
Stilla, an interesting idea but I thought JEJ's voice over recording came in very late in the game, after principle filming had wrapped which would seem to negate using earlier drafts of the script.

Basker, could be, but again, I thought JEJ recorded his scenes after shots of Tarkin and Vader arrived at Yavin in the Death Star. Maybe they cut around this.

If the voice wasn't so different, maybe Burtt got the movie wrong and actually meant ROTJ where the line would make sense since Vader goes from Star Destroyer to Death Star, then back to the Star Destroyer.

Jon
04-16-2003, 01:07 AM
I never understood how that line "improved" that scene. The voice is terribly out of place and the "Bring my shuttle" line was awesome because you could just tell in his tone how ticked off Vader was. Replacing that line did nothing but add further reason to hate with a passion the special editions. The few good changes were terribly outweighed by the bad.

stillakid
04-16-2003, 01:31 AM
Originally posted by Jon
I never understood how that line "improved" that scene. The voice is terribly out of place and the "Bring my shuttle" line was awesome because you could just tell in his tone how ticked off Vader was. Replacing that line did nothing but add further reason to hate with a passion the special editions. The few good changes were terribly outweighed by the bad.

I agree. Vader was a guy of few words. His opening zinger in ROTJ illustrated that very well when he said, "I hope so, Commander, for your sake. The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am." That simple statement told us everything we already knew about Vader plus everything we needed to know about a guy we had yet to really meet (the Emperor). "Bring my shuttle" was succinct and to the point. Altering the line was just a lousy lead in and excuse to use some existing footage from ROTJ. Stupid, stupid, stupid. Somebody, please save GL from himself before he Special-Editions himself into a place of historical ridicule.

Dark Marble
04-16-2003, 10:15 AM
Interesting, if that line was cut from ANH, it could have been cut from the scene where Vader was on the Tantive IV. Besides being out in his tie fighter at the end of the movie, that is the only scene where Vader is away from either the Death Star or a Star Destroyer.

I remember hearing that new line for the first time in ESB, and I didn't think it was Mr. Jones either. However, the new line didn't bother me as much as the Luke "Emperor" scream as he fell into the exhaust tube. That was just lame.

Pendo
04-16-2003, 10:23 AM
The line doesn't bother me. I didn't think it was JEJ, but I still think is sounds like Vader. Just a very angry and depresed Vader :rolleyes:!

I agree with Dark Marble, Luke's scream on Bespin is the worst, or Qui-Gon's "Nooooooooooooo" in AOTC :crazed:!

PENDO!

stillakid
04-16-2003, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by Pendo

I agree with Dark Marble, Luke's scream on Bespin is the worst, or Qui-Gon's "Nooooooooooooo" in AOTC :crazed:!

Those two and "Yippee!" from TPM.

[DSS]Pedr0
04-16-2003, 12:24 PM
I LIKED IT!! I AM ALWAYS FOR MORE SCENES AND ACTION ADDED TO THE FILMS. THE MORE STAR WARS THE MERRIER.....MORE MOVIES SHOULD BE MADE LIKE THE LoRD oF THE rINGS TRILoGY 3 HOURS PLUS!!