PDA

View Full Version : What program can I use to...

James Boba Fettfield
04-12-2003, 09:43 AM
I'm looking for some software that can capture still images from video. Like if I played an mpeg, avi, or a quicktime file and I wanted to take a still image from one of those type of movies. Is there a certain type of software that can do this, whether it's free or I need to buy it, I don't care. I'm just looking for something that can do this for me. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me.

Sentinel18725
04-12-2003, 10:39 AM
I'm looking for a program that is comparable to a Mac program I had about ten years ago. I use Windows now, no more MAC!!! It basically took a jpeg or gif and you could import it onto a folder so that the folder now had a scaled down version of that jpeg on it.....was great for labelling. Any help?

James Boba Fettfield
04-12-2003, 04:08 PM
Worry no more, friends, I found the software that did the trick.

sith_killer_99
04-12-2003, 06:19 PM
Do you mind if I ask which program?

I have PowerDVD XP, which allows me to capture stills from DVDs only, since it is a DVD player program.

James Boba Fettfield
04-12-2003, 06:22 PM
The program is Adobe Premiere 6.0. It's just a big video editing software program. Kind of a waste, because I don't do much of anything else with it yet. Maybe I'll compile some kind of video of stuff to get my money's worth.

darthvyn
04-13-2003, 05:29 PM
hey! i just thought of something that MIGHT work... my graphics card/tv tuner card comes with software that can take a screenshot from anything...dvd, mpg, tv (only if you have a tv tuner...)

if you go to the software selection page here

http://mirror.ati.com/support/driver.html

you can download the software, after you select your OS... however, you also have to select an ATI product, which i assume you don't have. if you select the ATI all-in-wonder 7500, the card i have, i think you should be able to install the software correctly. after selecting your OS and product, on the next page, only download the "wdm capture driver" and "ati control panel" because the other one is the display driver, and you don't want to download that, as it will probably interfere with whatever display adapter you actually DO have...

if that doesn't work, you can buy one of the ATI cards - they all have the capabilities you are looking for...

Anakin2121
04-13-2003, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by sith_killer_99
Do you mind if I ask which program?

I have PowerDVD XP, which allows me to capture stills from DVDs only, since it is a DVD player program.

Hey! I have that program! How do you do it?

darthvyn
04-13-2003, 06:41 PM
it depends on what version you have, but there should be a little button on the control panel that has an icon that looks like a camera. that's the one...

you can access the options on how to save the images by right-clicking on the movie window, selecting "configuration" and clicking the "advanced" button - at least in powerdvd xp. if it's an earlier version, it should be similar, though. once you click on "advanced" you'll want to select "capture to file" and select a folder to save them in...

Dar' Argol
04-18-2003, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by darthvyn
it depends on what version you have, but there should be a little button on the control panel that has an icon that looks like a camera. that's the one...

you can access the options on how to save the images by right-clicking on the movie window, selecting "configuration" and clicking the "advanced" button - at least in powerdvd xp. if it's an earlier version, it should be similar, though. once you click on "advanced" you'll want to select "capture to file" and select a folder to save them in...

Side note: If the camera is not shaded in and looks faded, it can't be used right now. Usually happens after installing a Vid Card. I've had it happen. Company said to re-install PowerDVD but it still does not work right. So a way around that is to go to Configure (Hammer and Nail pic) and select Video. Then at the top, where it says Enable Video Acceleration (I think it says that), un-check the box. Then hit Mute on the DVD player when you start it again cause it could run and sound like crap after that. Then its just a matter of selecting the scenes you want and capturing them. That's how i get all my movie avatars:D

Darth Trymybestus
04-23-2003, 08:14 PM
I just use "Print screen" key, that usually works. Although I'm not sure if it works on Quicktime. Usually when you do it with MPG's or AVI's, you have to use "Print screen" twice. You paste and then "Print screen" again, then simply paste into say Microsoft Photo Editor.

darthvyn
04-30-2003, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by Dar' Argol
Side note: If the camera is not shaded in and looks faded, it can't be used right now. Usually happens after installing a Vid Card. I've had it happen. Company said to re-install PowerDVD but it still does not work right. So a way around that is to go to Configure (Hammer and Nail pic) and select Video. Then at the top, where it says Enable Video Acceleration (I think it says that), un-check the box. Then hit Mute on the DVD player when you start it again cause it could run and sound like crap after that. Then its just a matter of selecting the scenes you want and capturing them. That's how i get all my movie avatars:D

yeah, sometimes it doens't work with hardware acceleration... mine works fine on processor and software alone, but if you NEED your acceleration, it will make the process that much more annoying...